goldfever's first challenge

goldfever

Hi there, I'm goldfever... new to this site (just in time for a challenge!). I'm a 24 year-old chap from Bristol, UK. I work an office job during the week and study most weekends.

I'm a keen cyclist (at least, I was) but experienced a few sucker punches in the past 6 months that has affected my waistline, and to an extent my general happiness.

My main quest will be best measured by losing 5kg (11lb) to get myself down to 86kg (190lb) by the end of the challenge. By doing this I expect to have improved fitness, health and mental wellbeing.

My goals to attempt to succeed in this quest include:

1. Cycle the 8 miles to the office (& 8 miles back) twice a week
  2. Go run twice a week
  3. Keep my office lunches healthy - soup or salad 3/5 times a week
  4. Go to a gym 4 times during the challenge
  5. Limit myself to a maximum of 3 takeaways in this period

Other quest: Make responsible financial decisions (fix my motorbike and pay off some debt)

Good luck all :-)

goldfever

• Like 2

Enjoy the ride :-)

Scout Level 0

Strength0 | Dexterity0 | Stamina0 | ConstitutionWisdomCharisma0

Sugar watching | Running | Cycling

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/61545-goldfever-got-overexcited-and-put-his-thread-in-a-guild-forum/

Current weight: 200lbs

Goal: +/- 170lbs

Rain or shine buddy! It's usually dark and 3-5C, as likely as not raining, when I leave for work.

My other option is by motorbike which isn't much more appealling!

Scout Level 0

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/61545-goldfever-got-overexcited-and-put-his-thread-in-a-guild-forum/

Welcome to team #2!

Good luck on your goals, I'll be following you :)

Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Small update to add measurability points:

1. Cycle the 8 miles to the office (& 8 miles back) twice a week: A: 3 times a week B: 2 times C: 0-1 time
  2. Go run twice a week A: 3 times a week B: 2 times C: 0-1 time
  3. Keep my office lunches healthy - soup or salad 3/5 times a week A: 4-5 times a week B: 3 times C: 0-2 times
  4. Go to a gym 4 times during the challenge A: 5+ times B: 4 times C: <4 times
  5. Limit myself to a maximum of 3 takeaways in this period A: NO TAKEAWAYS! B: <4 times C: >3 times

In terms of rewards... I haven't figured anything out yet. Hypothetically, I'll buy myself something nice, but hereby commit to it not being food-related!

Question: what happens when life gets in the way? E.g. I have a week off or something and have to sub in some goals/activities?

• Like 2

Scout Level 0

Hello, fellow Brit! 

Good work on figuring out the measuring - tracking and planning are two key things to succeeding in my experience.

Question: what happens when life gets in the way? E.g. I have a week off or something and have to sub in some goals/activities?

Best thing is again planning - if you're worried about sudden life interference, work out some contingency plans, like:

- What exercises will you do if you sprain your ankle/wrist? (e.g. you could do speed boxing exercises for cardio if you can't run)

- Can you find any easy, healthy recipes that you can cook and freeze, to replace your favourite takeaway in case you're ill and Just Eat looms its ugly head? (That's a big one for me - to stay away from the takeaway, you need a healthy alternative that is easier and faster than ordering online and waiting 45 mins. )

- If you're going off on holiday, check out Steve's blog posts on travel!

- If your bike breaks, what's the plan? (Maybe get in some hillwalking, or add some sets of squats and lunges in to days when you run?)

Good luck!

• Like 1

Sarah Barr - Level 13 Warhobbit

STR 18 | DEX 7 | STA 17 | CON 38 | WIS 28 | CHA 12

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

Instagram (Things I have painted or made.)

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].

Day One

BGYG06_pilates_377x171.jpg

Good start! Had a day off from work so cashed in one of the four gym days I've set myself. I don't particularly like the gym (smelly, busy, meatheads, inconvenient, no fresh air or views to enjoy) but it's useful for circuit training and getting a good stretch on. Today's workout summary is: running to warm up, 6x500m rowing intervals at c.1:48/500m splits (my technique has deteriorated over the years, using too much arm/shoulders), 45 minutes of bodyweight circuits and a 20 minute stretching/pilates session. Made the most of my one-day pass!

salmonmisosoup.jpg

Diet-wise, the headlines are noodle soup for lunch and a really wholesome casserole for supper, so it feels like a job well done there. 

What have I learned? Homemade food is the most satisfying (especially when a friend cooks for you :welcoming:), it's rewarding to mix up your workout every now and again, and I really need to work on my rowing technique.

Highlight of the day: Spent an hour in the garage repairing the carburettor balance on my 2nd motorbike, she seems to run so much smoother now so it's a real win :triumphant:

used-2009-suzuki-gs500f_gs500_gs_500-onl

Scout Level 0

Looking good! I was recently injured (broken kneecap, not recommended!) and the only exercise I was allowed was swimming or light weights workouts. Man did I miss the outdoors by the time I was finally released from stinky meat-head land. (To be honest, I really didn't work out that much in those months because the gym was so depressing . . .) Good on ya for starting strong!

And the main thing I've found with when life gets in the way is (a) not stressing too much cuz ya know, stuff happens, and related, not doing that thing that many of us do of . . . "well, I missed my workout so i may as well eat a whole pizza for dinner because the day's ruined anyway." Maybe you don't suffer from that kind of thinking but as one who does, being able to say well, I missed my workout but I hit all my other goals for the day is a good feeling.

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

Clan: Mek'het   *   Covenant: Invictus

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered.

An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered."

––G. K. Chesterton

I did the bad thing and I went straight to the scout page, I've been advised I should move my thread to the newbie forum. >.< 

Please follow my new and improved thread* http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/61545-goldfever-got-overexcited-and-put-his-thread-in-a-guild-forum/

*not yet improved as you lovely people aren't on it yet :-)

Will respond to your messages there.

Peace,

goldfever

• Like 1

Scout Level 0