Hybrid has a big awesome rest! (un-challenge)

hybrid756

Yes, it's my second full challenge and I'm already having a rest, after going way off target with my first challenge! SO LAZY, YES??

That's right, I have no discipline to give to health, fitness and diet. No discipline, no willpower, no motivation, no inspiration, no knuckle down and do the work-ness, no just do it-ness, none of it.

But wait! All is not lost! This challenge, I am making my overarching goal to ENJOY BEING ALIVE (since I don't do that very often). And I'm making it food and fitness related! (That's right, I said FOOD related!).

As your intuitive-eater-in-residence, I declare my first bit of the mission:

1. EAT WHAT YOU LOVE, LOVE WHAT YOU EAT

In the past few days, I've been trying this on for size again, and I'm getting back into my groove with how awesome this really is... Yesterday, I realised that I really wanted carrot and apples with houmous. And with nobody to tell me that these foods are "good" or "healthy" I realised they didn't automatically taste of deprivation, but are actually bloody amazing! Pink lady apples and carrot sticks and houmous are on my list of Awesome Foods I Love. This morning I had a sausage sandwich for breakfast. I really enjoyed the breakfast-y smell of it, and a bit of BBQ sauce. Our new nutty bread is nice, but I like brown too. White usually tastes like I would imagine wet cardboard to taste, so I don't like that. I wasn't hungry for hours, then I wanted a small maple & pecan cheesecake (300 cals in case you're wondering what I define as a small cheesecake). The first half was beautiful, the second half was OK, I left a tiny bit (deliberately - more on that in a minute!) and I took about half an hour to eat the whole thing. It's OK for me to enjoy all kinds of foods, I get that now. A few hours later I was hungry again so had a bit of breaded lemon sole. I usually have loads of Mayo with it because I think that's what I want, but a bit of analysis led me to realise that I only put the Mayo on it to cool it down, because I hate my food burny-hot... So I waited 10 minutes for the fish to cool down and had it on its own. It was delicious! I've been obscuring the lovely taste of how many foods with what is essentially egg and vinegar and fat dressing? Wtf. And just like that, I don't really like Mayo any more. Maybe in a sandwich. I don't know, I'll wait and see. I remember when this happened to me with ice cream, it was a happy day, lol!

It's a few hours later now and I'm still happily not hungry, and I enjoyed every single thing I ate today. I guess I might have knocked back around 1200 cals or so? That's low, but I've had a lazy Sunday and my massive exertion for the day was going out for a pint of milk. Other days are different!

So, from being afraid of the food missions, to doing the food missions in my own way! Expect words. LOADS OF WORDS. About the foods. All the foods. Expect analysis and lots of it. What the food smelled like, the packaging, what mood I was in, who I was with, what I'd done that day... Etc.

About that other thing: I'm leaving a small bit of food behind each time I eat something. It doesn't have to be a huge amount, but I've unearthed an unhealthy and irrational fear of wasting food or leaving it behind. I don't know where it came from, but regardless, I don't want it. My body is not a bin. And the only way I'll ever stop wasting food is by figuring out what portion sizes work for me, and I'll never work that out if I always think I have to eat EVERYTHING that's there.

So I think that by the end of this challenge, I won't be 195lbs any more. I want weight loss, but it's not the goal. That's the thing with me and goals. I can never look directly at them.

+5 CON if I eat what I love, and love what I eat, 30 days out of 42!

Joined the Mindful Eating FTW! Accountability thread, because as I remember it, this way of eating is something that takes reflection, and talking it through with others really helps. I still can't believe I found a mindful eating accountability thread... too much awesome for words!

gallery_34161_1540_327532.gif

2. WALK MOAR

I decided at the end of my last challenge that 2500 miles of walking would get me into a ballpark of getting shot of the approximate 70lbs of fat I want to get shot of, all other things being equal. My baseline is pretty sedentary apart from my job, which I'm hoping to be out of soon anyway , and back on a daytime schedule. So I'm not counting that.

Goal is as stated. Walk more. Nice and nebulous and non-SMART (Yeah, I'm breaking the rules here because the rules work but I make them not work by sabotaging myself).

I started at 2500 miles on 10 Feb. I'm down to 2456 (I think) and only counting anything outwith my normal routine using the runtastic app on my phone. Been ill since Friday 20th and at work so no long walks since then, and because of a uni deadline on Weds 25th I probably won't go far until after that, but should get back into it with a 4.5 mile walk to work on Thursday afternoon :)

Up to +5 STA depending on how far I get, and how much it feels like an awesome, enjoyable, habitual addition to my life by the end of the challenge.

Doing PVP - Walkers this time round! My first PVP. I trust that I'm taking a relaxed enough attitude to this whole challenge to keep my confidence up through the competitive aspect of the challenge.

gallery_34161_1540_176118.gif

3. MINIS!!!

No mini in week 1 because of the uni deadline. Weeks 2-6 i'll dream up minis that take my fancy because reasons.

+5 other points for minis depending on how I feel at the time.

gallery_34161_1540_863047.gif

Edit:

Starting measurements etc from 23 Feb 2015!

• Weight: 193.4lbs
  • Scale Bf%: 48%
  • DoD Bf%: 41.6%
  • Scale H2O%: 37.2%
  • Lean mass: 100.6lbs
  • Chest (upper): 40.5
  • Chest (lower): 34.5
  • Waist: 37
  • Hips: 43
  • Neck: 14.5
  • Right upper arm: 14.5
  • Left upper arm: 14
  • Right lower arm: 10.5
  • Left lower arm: 10.5
  • Right thigh: 29
  • Left thigh: 28.5
  • Right calf: 18
  • Left calf: 18.5
  • Like 6

Half-Orc / Level 4 / Assassin

STR - 3 DEX - 1 STA - 4 CON - 13.5 WIS - 3 CHA - 6

Twitter: @hybrid756

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge wrap up! April 12 - May 24 2015!
Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%

I am loving it already :D

Had some kind of oats/nuts/raisins concoction for lunch (didn't have breakfast, slept in). Uh... muesli. With 2 sugars which I think was a bit too much, a bit overpowering. I'll try 1 next time. I wasn't especially hungry, but was a bit foggy-headed and I always know I can't study well if I haven't eaten anything, even if I don't feel hungry. Eh, it tasted ok. Not bad but not OMG AWESOME. That's ok, I was eating it as brain fuel. The brain fog lifted after I ate that (with a coffee, of course) and that was a few hours ago. Mr Hybrid's put on some duck to make duck pancakes which will take about another hour to cook so that'll be dinner or something. I LOVE duck pancakes. Forgot to leave part of my breakfast because I was still half asleep but that's ok. I'd slept for about 12 hours because I'd been ill and now I'm feeling much better. 193.5lbs this morning. It'd be groovy to see 192.something soon :) No deadlines, I don't do deadlines. Unless it's for this uni assignment, so, uh... I guess I do deadlines, just elsewhere in my life :)

I'm a little bit hungry. I think by the time the duck pancakes are ready, I'll be pretty damn hungry. Which will make them taste even better :)

MOAR MATHS!!

gallery_34161_1540_17708.jpg

(actually, I don't mind maths... but gaming is better... but gaming is full of maths, so...)

• Like 4

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%

Well, I had the duck pancakes. All of them. Yes, about 1400 calories' worth. I was SO DAMN HUNGRY. But I didn't really pay attention to what I was eating, so although they were lovely, I would have preferred to have had half of them just now and half of them later, or a couple as a snack. I think my head was all over the place with this uni work and I wasn't paying enough attention. Now, I'm not FULL full, not uncomfortable, but I would have been happy with half of that or maybe even less, but about 8/10 full, I doubt I'll be hungry for a while. But yeah, I would have preferred to have put some in a box and had them later. Next time I have something that size in front of me I may as well stash half of it before I even start, so I make a habit of doing that even when I'm not thinking. I think I'd just prefer eating that way. Perhaps I'm more of a grazer than I thought.

But anyway FUCK YEAH DUCK PANCAKES. AWESOME.

Just less of 'em at once next time.

PS if you're not sure of the difference, that wasn't a binge, that was me just flat out not paying attention lol

And part of me wants to feel guilty because I over ate somewhat, but that would take away from my enjoyment of what I ate, which would defeat the purpose of the main part of this challenge. So, next time I'll just try to remember that I feel better eating less food at once!

gallery_34161_1540_203103.gif

• Like 4

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%

Love, love, LOOOOOOOOOOVE your challenge   :wub:

lets do this joy thing together, wheeeeee

P5Dpxoc.gif

• Like 1

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

Love, love, LOOOOOOOOOOVE your challenge   :wub:

lets do this joy thing together, wheeeeee

P5Dpxoc.gif

YAY! BRING ON THE AWESOME!! :D

gallery_34161_1540_248944.gif

Hey by the way, I'm still full after 2 hours. I definitely ate too much. Shame, those pancakes were so tasty I would have liked to have some later as well, split them into a few different bits. Yeah, so that's me getting most of my daily fuel from duck pancakes but I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT CARE :D

Edit: make that THREE hours...

• Like 1

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%

Great first day! That's 5/24 of my maths assignment done, the rest is tomorrow and wednesday. I can see the point in eating the muesli this morning, even though it wasn't the most awesome thing EVAR, it did the job. Ate way too many infamous duck pancakes at once, but they were delicious and I haven't been hungry since, and that was 7-8 hours ago. It's 1.30am and my brain is shutting down, so I'm going to relax and get ready for bed. 

Day 1/42: Success!

Bring on tomorrow :D

gallery_34161_1540_445547.gif

• Like 3

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%

Great challenge.  But I'm trying to wrap my head around duck pancakes .......

• Like 1

Some kind of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48

Some kind of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48

Some kind of Jedi .....

Alright already about the duck pancakes, lol!!

Here you go, duck pancakes :)

By the way, it was you who gave me the push I needed to go for the un-challenge, so thankyou!! I love it :D

As for how today's going, I had a good 8hr sleep. Woke up hungry but nothing's appealing, I want something bland. Did I just do intermittent fasting by accident? I haven't eaten in 18 hours. Anyway, I think it's another bowl of muesli for me, that sounds suitably inoffensive. Probably pork chops and veggies for tonight. 

And that thing about wanting to see 192-something soon? 191.8 today! And bf% of 47% so my lean mass is holding steady at just over 100, 101.5 or something today!

gallery_34161_1540_55295.gif

• Like 2

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%

whooohooo, you are having a fantastic start!!!

Keep rocking it

panda-rocking-horse.gif

• Like 2

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

whooohooo, you are having a fantastic start!!!

Keep rocking it

panda-rocking-horse.gif

.gif of the day award!!

Mr Hybrid came back from hunting supplies brandishing chicken satay skewers. Perfect lunchy / breakfasty / mid-afternoony thing. Delicious!! Lovely chargrilled chicken, sweet and nutty and gingery and kind of spicy but not too hot sauce. Took half an hour over eating that, which would have normally been scarfed down in 3 minutes, and really feel like I got something out of it! NOT HUNGRY ANY MOAR GIVE ME MOAR MATHEMATICS TO DO. 

*happy dance*

• Like 1

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%

WOW, you are turning into a maths monster  :hororr:

fantastic day

Oh man I am drooling like woah at those duck pancakes. I can see how you could eat them all at once.

I love the fact that you're enjoying your food! I'm a big food lover myself and I found that slowing down and enjoying meals makes life ten million times better.

Can't wait to hear more of your food descriptions!

• Like 1

Level 4 Assassin 

Hufflepuff House

Sunlit Embraces Earth and Sea - Current Challenge

Oh man I am drooling like woah at those duck pancakes. I can see how you could eat them all at once.

I love the fact that you're enjoying your food! I'm a big food lover myself and I found that slowing down and enjoying meals makes life ten million times better.

Can't wait to hear more of your food descriptions!

They were lovely! I was supposed to share them with Mr Hybrid, but after cooking them for us he decided he doesn't like duck *facepalm* ... and I didn't eat for the rest of the day. So nice with cucumber and spring onions thrown in there! I might try making some that aren't out the box, but using lettuce wraps as I feel maybe the tortillas were a bit heavy, and if I could make my own hoi sin sauce... well duck takes about 2hrs to cook in my oven, so given the gas bill I'd go through, er, maybe not ;)

Tonight I got fed chicken with some kind of creamy cheese sauce and bacon and leeks! Just a side plate portion, one fillet. I keep forgetting how well protein fills me up. Good fuel for the crazy calculus :) (which will probably be late into the night, and the same tomorrow at this rate).

Also had about 6 coffees and 4 small raisin biscuits and a mars bar, eh, just because. I don't normally like them either and I enjoyed every bit of it, and couldn't eat another one if you paid me.

I wonder how I'll get on with the food thing when I go back to work on Thursday night. So curious, because I've been in the house studying since the start of this challenge yesterday. Got at least a 4.5 mile walk lined up on Thursday, maybe more, I wonder if walking really DOESN'T make me hungry... it'll be interesting to find out. I want to see 190-something soon!

You know, you're right that enjoying your food does make it so much better! I used to inhale chocolate like I was ashamed to be eating it (because I was) all the while not noticing that I don't actually LIKE wolfing down a family-sized dairy milk. I always wondered how there are so many skinny chefs? I thought if you were working around food all day you'd just eat everything in sight, but apparently not! Habituation, I think they call it. Quality over quantity.

PS don't expect any wild and fancy recipes from me, lol, I'm a terrible cook! But I'm learning. Might make hitting up the Assassin's scullery one of my minis. I'd like to find some cheap meat recipe I like and find relatively easy to cook... *thinks*

• Like 2

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%

you are doing beautifully and this cooking / food thing is a true adventure. Once you've been at it for a while, discovering new treasures, you might actually develop a taste for it (pun intended) ;)

I wonder how I'll get on with the food thing when I go back to work on Thursday night. So curious, because I've been in the house studying since the start of this challenge yesterday. Got at least a 4.5 mile walk lined up on Thursday, maybe more, I wonder if walking really DOESN'T make me hungry... it'll be interesting to find out. I want to see 190-something soon!

HA! Standards rising I see, and you have every reason to as well

• Like 1

PS: this is coming from someone who is still absolutely uninspired what to feed to the hungry pack coming home from school at lunch oh and herself, of course...

• Like 1

you are doing beautifully and this cooking / food thing is a true adventure. Once you've been at it for a while, discovering new treasures, you might actually develop a taste for it (pun intended)  ;)

HA! Standards rising I see, and you have every reason to as well

PS: this is coming from someone who is still absolutely uninspired what to feed to the hungry pack coming home from school at lunch oh and herself, of course...

Oh, I have no idea where to start with the cooking, something easy to start with! It's going to be one of my minis, I've decided :)

This morning's breakfast (up at 9.30, amazing!) was coffee and another flapjack, and listening to the birds singing outside. I watched a magpie building a nest... it kept flying from the tree to the building and back, with a large twig in its beak. I imagined it as something of a magpie barbell ;)

Got up to 20/24 of the maths assignment last night, so only 4 sections on integration left to do and I'm on to the next project! I'm still surprising myself at how much I'm enjoying the maths, considering I used to have such a problem with it. Considering investigating paths that take me down the algorithms etc route after I've done my software development next year, I've been tempted by jobs Rockstar Games have advertised just now for junior AI & networking programmers that are heavier on the maths than you get in your standard degree. A few years off, but it's something for me to consider.

Btw, yes, I consider yesterday a success! 2/42!

Oh, and... down from 191.8 to 191.2 today - all fat, btw! Bf% is down to 46.8 so my lean mass is holding in there at 101.7 :D

gallery_34161_1540_289801.gif

• Like 2

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%

I'm really REALLY hungry. Spent the past 3 hours reading stuff on the internet.

gallery_34161_1540_195626.gif

In the oven, that's where! Chicken and pesto pizza with a coffee, and MOAR MATHS.

That should do me for a good long time :)

• Like 2

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%

you're not turning into a maths monster are you :D

So proud of you!!! 

• Like 1

you're not turning into a maths monster are you :D

So proud of you!!! 

Yes, I am! Given that I dropped out of uni doing a physics masters the first time round when I was 18 in a bid to prove something while dealing with glandular fever, depression, 6 days a week of work, a pile of debt and a drinking problem... I'm loving enjoying the maths now :D

Gonna get me a groovy job one day, maths is the programming language of the universe, it's handy to know! 

In other news, had a panic attack this afternoon which I solved by lying in bed for half an hour talking myself out of it instead of eating crap. I've realised they pass and then they're gone. And the less guilty I feel about it happening, the better I get on. Yes, I said that panic attacks make me feel guilty:

gallery_34161_1540_81471.gif

But AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT (I don't have a .gif for that... *grumble*) so now I'm having another coffee and another flapjack, and getting on with some work. If I had a broken leg I wouldn't feel guilty, I'd just work round it. This doesn't need to be any different (except that the walking is easier... which helps as it's part of my challenge).

• Like 1

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%

YES love the broken leg analogy, very apt. We often have the strangest feelings about our feelings and I, too, noticed if I just face them without any story around it and lift myself up bit by bit from there, it's surprisingly easy - well, compared to the neverending stress of not wanting a feeling that is there and doesn't care if you want to have it or not  :playful:

Friendlier story or no story, those are my options.

You are rocking it! 

Yay to learning the programming skills for the UNIVERSE

Here's to being master programmer of your fate

69240e09bd1517665d03a0a621f21f4ed871538d

and now I will shut up and stop distracting you ;)

• Like 2