Cathelas' Challenge, The Second

Cathelas

Mini complete this week!  25 things I am happy about in 5 days.  It was hard in the middle, go figure.  I will at +1 Charisma at the end of the weekend.  I need to sit and think about what I have done  :pirate:

Things I am happy about

Monday

1.       An understanding wife

2.       Morning coffee

3.       Treadmills on cold days

4.       The smile on someone’s face when you hold the door open for them

5.       Facetime for when I am away from home

Tuesday

1.       Spinach

2.       Tempurpedic mattresses

3.       Finding Spin Bikes

4.       Tom Hanks cracking me up on The Late Late Show

5.       Podcasts

Wednesday

1.       Almonds and their milk

2.       Stable employment, even when my boss makes me crazy

3.       A fridge full of food when I came home tonight

4.       iZombie – gross but hysterical

5.       Co-workers who get my sense of humor

Thursday

1.       Smoothies, the mobile breakfast that holds me til lunch

2.       Getting compliments after running an important meeting

3.       Getting work done by deadlines

4.       Sweet Potatoes

5.       Business casual Fridays (I am happy today, because it is less prep to get ready)

Friday

1.       Being able to put the past behind me (or at least bury it so it is out of the way)

2.       Continuous support and positive energy from Nerd Fitness Rebels

3.       Considerate employees at the grocery store

4.       Shiraz

5.       The best teenage son a father could ever ask for!  No trouble, all fun!

• Like 2

Cathelas the Level 3 Half-Orc

STR 10|DEX 6|CON 10|STA 11|WIS 8|CHA 7

My Challenges: 15-1 15-2 15-3

Tracking Goal, get weight below 200 pounds Starting (Jan 23, 2015): 226 Goal: 199  Exactly 3 months to hit goal weight April 23, 2015!

New Weight Loss Goal 180 pounds started April 23, 2015  Current Weight 179 - Made it on June 27!

100%
100%

Travel to Mordor by Spin, Road Bike, Running (starting Feb 23, 2015)         Made it to Mount Doom on July 11, 2015!  Now, I need to turn around and go home!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Rauros to Mount Doom 470 miles this leg for a total of 1779 miles 

100%
100%

Frozen Saturday here, boo.  Too cold to ride outside (well, I don't have the right gear for it), so I did go ahead and hit the spin bike.  Felt really good, I can tell my cardio is improving by leaps and bounds.  I am hoping tomorrow the rain holds off, but the forecast is not promising.

I got a little grocery shopping knocked out today, so I should be able to stay in and prep some food if the weather stinks.  

I am really hoping to finish this week strong.  Freaking Easter candy everywhere I go - like the biggest temptation in the world.  I have maintained.  Need to get a little further down the road before diving into a candy binge.  This challenge has been going very well for me largely thanks to the support of the community.

Thanks again Rebels!

• Like 2

Tracking Goal, get weight below 200 pounds Starting (Jan 23, 2015): 226 Goal: 199  Exactly 3 months to hit goal weight April 23, 2015!

New Weight Loss Goal 180 pounds started April 23, 2015  Current Weight 179 - Made it on June 27!

100%
100%

Travel to Mordor by Spin, Road Bike, Running (starting Feb 23, 2015)         Made it to Mount Doom on July 11, 2015!  Now, I need to turn around and go home!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

100%
100%

Another happy Nerd Fitness week for me.  Forced myself to avoid some sweet snacks.  Forced myself to get to the gym  And I sit here smiling ear to ear in the jeans I couldn’t even thing about putting on 5 weeks ago. 

The big question, how will the salmon cakes I have in the oven actually turn out?  Stay tuned true believers  :pirate: 

Week 5 Scoring Summary:

· Workout 5 times a week A – 6 times
· Comment on other people’s threads each week A - 20 comments
· Posting on my progress A – 7 times
· Eat 18 Paleo meals A – 20 meals SERIOUSLY!!! It won’t happen this coming week, but #smiling
· ​No eating after diner A – 6 nights
· Get 7 hours of sleep or more each night A -7 nights

SOLID A AGAIN!  And completed the happiness Mini this week, required lots of self reflection.  I had to press myself for the +1 Charisma. 

Sprinting to the finish!  This next week is critical.  Remember, champions are made on the last lap!

• Like 4

100%
100%

100%
100%

The salmon cakes were fantastic.  I had them right out of the oven last night with some sweet potato fries.  Then for lunch today, 2 cakes on a bed of spinach.  So good.  I used Cholula for my hot sauce while making them, it was the right call!

And a Happy Monday All!  Ran on the treadmill today, 3 miles.  It felt really good, I need to keep mixing it up.  Spinning, while effective, goes nowhere.  I am putting my bike in the back of the car tomorrow, hoping to go for a ride right after work, since the sun is up later now.  Let's hope the weather holds.  It is supposed to be low 60s tomorrow afternoon.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 3

100%
100%

100%
100%

The salmon cakes were fantastic.  I had them right out of the oven last night with some sweet potato fries.  Then for lunch today, 2 cakes on a bed of spinach.  So good.  I used Cholula for my hot sauce while making them, it was the right call!

And a Happy Monday All!  Ran on the treadmill today, 3 miles.  It felt really good, I need to keep mixing it up.  Spinning, while effective, goes nowhere.  I am putting my bike in the back of the car tomorrow, hoping to go for a ride right after work, since the sun is up later now.  Let's hope the weather holds.  It is supposed to be low 60s tomorrow afternoon.  Fingers crossed!

Yum to having the salmon cakes on a bed of spinach. That sounds delicious!

Low 60s sounds perfect for a bike ride. I hope the weather cooperates.

Level 4 Slayer

STR 9 | DEX 7 | STA 6 | CON 9 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

Challenges: Current 4 3 2 1

Battle log

Mantra for 2015: I am here

"Riskless is hardly worth your effort." Seth Godin

I'm certain I've said this before, but please feed me your delicious grub!  

Hope the weather holds up for you and you get plenty of warm sunshine (but no sunburns!).

Level 5 Shapeshifter Monk

STR 10.75   :   DEX 7.5  :   STA 8.5   :   CON 5   :   WIS 7.5   :   CHA 7

Challenge: I am an Avenger

Past: 1st, Draugr, Super-hero, Rocky

A soon-to-be married Kung Fu enthusiast  

Weather was fantastic today.  I got in over 13 miles and lots of others were out on the same path.  I didn't feel too out of place, even when the serious riders flew by.  Really glad I threw the bike in the back of the car, it was much more fun than another ride on the spin bike.  Of course, tomorrow I will be spinning again.  Can't get outside everyday.

Really pondering what I want to bump up for this week's mini.  It will be hard for me to get in more workouts... I will come up with something.  I just hate having to think this late in the challenge  :pirate:

• Like 3

100%
100%

100%
100%

Hola Rebels!

Well, the good weather is coming to an end.  Looks like 3 days of rain en route... ugh.  Other not great news, weight has been stuck for 3 days.  I know there are plateaus and all, but I was on such a good streak!  In a funny turn of events, I went to a spin class today that was easier than the spin dvds I have been doing.  I finished feeling unsatisfied, but since a co-worker was running the class I didn't say anything.  Plus, he is the one who got me into spinning in the first place. I guess I have made some significant progress!  Heck, I have done cardio 6 days in a row and I am still able to walk and go up and down stairs.  Something is going right.

I have about killed all of my leftovers, so I will be eating out a bit more than usual the next few days.  I will try to pick wisely. Or at least in moderation.

Hope everyone is finishing strong!  :pirate:

• Like 3

100%
100%

100%
100%

Thursday I got a spin in first thing in the morning.  Seven straight days of cardio, the legs were asking for a bit of a rest, so I am taking today off.  And then the rain came anyway, so it is a mess outside.  April showers bring May flowers I guess?  Pizza for dinner last night, which while off plan, was a good pizza, so at least I enjoyed it!  As I move into this next phase I am trying to make sure any non-Paleo meals are enjoyable, and not just stuff to shove in my head.  I am making the best choices for the situations I am in, and being reasonable along the way.  Perfect is the enemy of the good!

• Like 2

100%
100%

100%
100%

Today took a couple unexpected turns, but it is all good!  I tried fixing the wife's bike which had been in storage, but it was way beyond my abilities.  The front brakes were all kinds of hosed.  So... I didn't get out for any cardio today, even though it was nice weather.  But - I did take the teenager out for a driving less in the car and he did really well.  Sure, I am stressed beyond belief every time I let him get behind the wheel, but after only 4 lessons with me, he is doing ok.  We have not even begun to think about parallel parking.  Just focusing on straight lines and turns.  We even got out on some residential roads and he did a good job.  While it was not exactly the day I planned, it was worth every second.  You only get to teach your kid to drive once.  And I hope I am doing a good job!

• Like 3

100%
100%

100%
100%

Happy Sunday Morning Rebels!  And the sun is out and I think I will take advantage and ride the bike today.  But, while I am getting ready, I thought I'd jot down a few notes before I forget. I took off the last two days and my legs are thanking me for it.  I felt fine, but I can tell my thighs needed a break.  I woke up this morning and my legs feel much looser than they have in a few days, so I need to remember to listen to my body. Maybe remember to stretch.  I finally did get smart enough to break out The Stick to loosen up the muscles.  It was not doing any good sitting in the closet.  And 5 minutes later I felt better.  Duh.

I tweaked the stem on my bike again, last ride I made made too drastic of a change and it was a little much for me. I replaced the space on the stem, so the reach should be a bit more comfortable.  One of the great things about this bike is how adjustable the stem is.  The angle can go from +16 to -16 degrees, in 4 degree increments, and there are a stack of spacers for handlebar height.  I will really be able to grow with it as I get better.  I have definitely established next challenge I am going to have to start focusing on my core to be a better cyclist.  My weight has been pretty steady, +/- .5 pound for most of the week, which is awesome given the amount I have been in restaurants and not working out the last two days.  Maybe my body is reaching a new set point, which would be fantastic at 203.  I cannot complain at all about where I am.

Speaking of where I am, 256 miles in.  I have crossed the Great East Road and entered the thickets to the south.  I will be camping soon.  Seriously, Rivendell is far, and there are many more steps to Mordor!  :pirate:

• Like 2

100%
100%

100%
100%

Here is the big wrap up.  After my morning post, I went for an 18 mile bike ride (which was great) and here is how the week ends up:

Week 6 Scoring Summary:

Workout 5 times a week A – 5 times
Comment on other people’s threads 12 times each week A - 14 comments
Posting on my progress 6 times A – 7 times
Eat Paleo meals 14 times for an  A – 15 meals

​No eating after diner 6 times B – 5 nights
Get 7 hours of sleep or more each night 6 nights A -7 nights

Challenge Summary:

At least 84 Paleo meals – 109

At least 72 posts on others’ threads – 127

At least 24 updates on my thread – 42

No eating after dinner at least 36 times – 37

Sleeping 7 hours + 36 nights – 39

Workout at least 30 times – 32

Six weeks, A each week, equals A for the challenge!  Now I need to stay steady during the break and get ready for my third challenge.  I will continue to hone my goals.  Some of the ones I selected for this quest were a bit easy, others I forced myself to stay on pace.  What I like about the challenge format is the hard goals – forcing myself to commit.  I tried to be realistic based on what I know about me.  I leave some room for error and the variables life throws at each of us. 

My big takeaway from this challenge – I can do it.  I can make time for myself.  I can go to bed at a reasonable hour.  I can plan and cook so I am not running out to Sonic to grab a burger for dinner.  I can focus on positive things.  I just need to do it.  The easy way out wasn’t getting me anywhere.  Not that anything I have done over the last six weeks was painful (except Donkey Kicks), it just cut into my TV and Video Game time.  Guess what?  TV and Video Games didn’t miss me.  The 23 pounds I have lost since January 23rd are a hell of a lot more important than getting raid gear for WoW.  I can do it.  I can get my priorities in order.  And once the health routine is rolling, I will have more time for TV and games again, because everything else will be in motion and have a place in my life.  46 years old, still learning new stuff every day.  Thanks Rebels!

• Like 2

100%
100%

100%
100%

I forgot about the points allocation, and I thought I had an extra week between challenges!  Oh man, now I need to get my butt in gear.  A few days in Chicago totally threw the diet out of whack, put on about 3 pounds this week.  But it was Chicago, I mean come on, the city is a carb rolled in fat and then deep fried in deliciousness.  While there, I did go look at a fancy bicycle store where they carry Colnago.  When I find a bag of money lying around, I think I might have to get one of those.  Say what you will, the Italian’s have a sense of design that is amazing. But enough about my dreams of spending huge sums of money on a bicycle.  Let’s see where I am going to put these 15 points:

Based on hitting all of my workouts every week, I am increasing my Strength by 3 to 8

Dexterity, always a struggle, but I am a bit more limber, so +1 to 3

Constitution – heck, I stuck with it for a second challenge that is a +2 for a new 6

Stamina, I am really proud of how much I have built up my cardio +5 to 8

Wisdom deserves a bit of a bump, not that I put anything great out there, but I keep contributing to the community and that is worth something so +2 to 7

And I am so freaking charming I need a 2 point bump to 5  :pirate:

See everybody Monday.  I am now going to stress over my new goals!  ARGH!

• Like 1

100%
100%

100%
100%