An Overworked Ocelot Hides In A Cupboard

Ocelot

So Ocelot didn't actually manage to escape the Castle of Consistency.

My challenge story is going to be on hold while the servant-disguised assassin hides in a cupboard from some castle guards. I literally don't have time for writing any more of the story which is sad. So here I am, stuck for the next six weeks unless a miracle occurs and I stop working so much!

I'm currently 2/3 of the way through a three day row of 12 hour shifts, with more close on the horizon.

I have been a part timer my whole life except for one short summer. I am still adjusting!

For that reason, my own challenge this time around is going to be low impact, easy to keep up with and all about building more consistency and automating even more habits, surviving my heavy workload and still finding time for other things. And maybe, hopefully, at last seeing a vision of freedom on the horizon.

GOAL ONE:

0vy9AgY.jpg

Maintain the daily stretching, which I managed to make a real habit last challenge, and additionally work in a few mobility moves (bonus points for throwing in some strength or isometric moves in the middle of the two!)

30% + days: 1 DEX, STR

60%+ days: 2 DEX, STR

90% + days: 3 DEX, STR

GOAL TWO:

Eat better food. Didn't do this at all last challenge. I've been living on biscuits and crisps. No wonder I get zombiefied easily. So now I need to eat fruit at least once a day, a green thing at least once a day, and have protein of 80g or higher by the time I've finished dinner plus 2 or 3 vegetables. I want to quit drinking instant coffee at work. Water instead. 1 coffee is OK, but not every day.

30%+ days: 1 CON, 1 CHA

60%+ days: 2 CON, 2 CHA

90%+ days: 3 CON, 3 CHA

GOAL THREE:

haJuGUE.jpg

Sit back and smell the daffodils.

The aim is to go to bed 20 minutes earlier than usual, and spend the time doing relaxing affirmations and visualisations. I need to slow myself down, remember to breathe and not stress out too much. I keep noticing my heart rate is high and I'm on edge. Need to step back and find some peace and quiet in my own head, there's really no other way to put it. If I'm going to survive the cupboard, I can't have a panic attack! If I do this and stay calm and relaxed all day, that will be a 'good' day. A medium day is one where I try but may slip up. A bad day is where I don't even give myself time to think. Good days count towards the goal, mediums neither add or take away from my percentage.

30%+ days: 1 WIS

60%+ days: 2 WIS

90%+ days: 3 WIS

TEMPLATE FOR UPDATES:

Mobility training (done/not done). Protein _g, food (ok/not ok). Relaxation level (good/medium/bad).

• Like 3

| STR 15 | DEX 14 | STA 14 | CON 10.5 | WIS 11 | CHA 7 | Level 5

Ocelot's Dossier - Battle Log | Springing into my Sixth Challenge!

I highly recommend the daffodils. Especially when you end up on a shift schedule like that, which makes it even harder to stick to a routine, but it's so worth it. I'm 8 minutes away from my curfew right now but just had to stop by and wish you luck. 10+ hour shifts make me crabby as all hell and everything else in my life goes all over the place so I feel your pain there. Well done on a great solid challenge. I hope your cupboard is comfortable! I imagine you'll be jumping out of there, Kato-style, after 6 weeks :D

• Like 1

Half-Orc / Level 4 / Assassin

STR - 3 DEX - 1 STA - 4 CON - 13.5 WIS - 3 CHA - 6

Twitter: @hybrid756

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge wrap up! April 12 - May 24 2015!
Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%

Thanks hybrid!

In theory the cupboard has wifi but actually the signal is pretty bad. I think I may be updating from my phone a lot this challenge. Short posts. But sweet! (this one should be OK. I'm in my office and early with lots of time.)

So this is day 3, and here is a brief run down of my three goals so far

Mobilise: I missed day one because of being too tired to even sit up. What have I learned? If I have a full shift: do it the VERY MINUTE YOU GET BACK. You will crash out otherwise. Literally. I actually fell asleep with the light on and half a bar of chocolate in my hand. You may think I'm kidding but I'm not. Day two I stretched and practiced moves but not many and not for long. Still, I'd like to get a really good streak going and now at least I have some numbers to build n.

Visualise: I'm doing this, I'm setting the alarm, but I am falling asleep for at least 50% of it at the moment! What have I learned? Structure the time better, have music or something playing to keep me awake and focus!

Robotic healthy food intake: I love this goal because its easy to remember: eat some fruit in the AM, something green in the PM, and count protein grams. (OK, the last one has slipped more readily than the other two but I have managed to do it so far!)

What else do I need to consider?

Time management. I don't know if there's a way I can find an extra hour in the day but if I can I will. Quite a lot of time is going on watching the last season of How I Met Your Mother. When that's gone, I will have a few more 20 minute slots per day. I do stretch in front of the TV, if I have the energy, so its not totally useless time and I am totally hooked anyway.

Another time management issue is preparation. If I get totally ready the night before work, I can do stuff in the morning during my bleary waking up time. I'm starting to get a day ahead of myself with washing clothes and hair (I have to get this cut soon, it's almost elbow length and I have some of the thickest hair I've ever seen on a redhead, so it takes hours to dry)

Also, separate to time management, I need to start tracking food PROPERLY instead of just protein grams (stop being lazy and get on myfitnesspal!) It's so interesting when I actually watch what I'm doing with my carbs and micronutrients, and how when I get enough of both I have enough energy, and when I don't I don't.

• Like 1

Oh dear XD thanks Hazard. Well spotted, I would never have noticed.

Today was a day off...ish. I went cycling, and went to one of my part time jobs that I'm supposed to have quit but I miss it so I go in anyway. Its a residential recording studio. I helped them wash all the carpets. I also did some mobility training while there, there's lots of floor space and quiet corners. Haha I really need a gym but there isn't one within 20 miles. Only a very limited one which doesn't even have weights, only machines.

I'm still 30g protein down today so not sure what to do about that.

• Like 2

You posted in the previous challenge forum. I've moved your thread to the current one.

-

So that's the reason I had not seen your thread. Following

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

Sneaked out of the cupboard this afternoon to do a bit of adventuring in the forest. It was a beautiful beautiful day.

I'm loving my goals this time. Apart from stupidly, stupidly missing my "mobilise" one the first day, I am being consistent with all three DESPITE my lack of sleep and my cupboard confinement (aka full time job!)

It really. Really. Really. Really is astounding what a difference EATING RIGHT makes. How many times must I learn this lesson, you as? Probably until the day I die. Seriously though. The simple rule I made up:

Fruit at breakfast. Greens at lunch. Fill in protein gaps at dinner.

This rule is easy to remember but means that I am covering ALL MY BASES. And I can't tell you how astoundingly nourished and energised I feel. Seirously. I am multi tasking and running around and not even feeling tired after work any more.

Speaking of work... I think I want to add as a mini quest: Stop drinking coffee at work! It's crappy processed instant and you don't even like it! It gives you headaches. Just because it's free doesn't mean it's good.

So that will be part of my life goal now. See first post.

Um. What else is going on today. I'm doing pull ups for the mini challenge. I'm finally located in the right forum. I am feeling good. My hip stretch is almost at the furthest point I can reach on my floor - I'm gonna have to find a new place to practice if I want to get to side splits!

• Like 3

Forget the coffee thing. I think? I don't know. I feel like one a day (and only when working) is actually literally necessary. May be wrong, but I think it will be easier to give up in the summer when I just want cold drinks.. Also, I'm pretty sure one every now and then isn't too bad for me, it's only when I go overboard and drink 6+ that I get headachey.

Today was bizarre. Lots of exercise. A LOT of food (yesterday also had a lot of food - I'm starving at the moment! Like, 3000 calories starving!) but thats OK, a lot of it was healthy and I'm still feeling energetic.

Visualisations are still going on, though it's still a bit of a battle between them and sleep.

Mobilisations are about to begin for today.

Today's protein has not been tracked though, I also need to do that. All the rest of the food goal is OK.

Still need a life goal... Hmmm.

• Like 1

I've decided today is my deadline for thinking of a life goal. Aaahh I am so behind with this challenge!

I've missed my nutrition goal two days in a row but not too impactfully. Day 5 I was only on 71g protein and day 6 I didn't eat fruit at breakfast. I was at my friends who made homemade croissants and there was no opportunity to eat an apple or anything.

The mobilisation goal was shaken a bit on day 6 as I ended up on an hours drive to my nearest city and watching a punk band with my sister and there was no obvious moment to do stretching. When I got home I fell asleep straight away.

I've found an affirmation I quite like for my visualisations (I never thought I'd hear myself say stuff like that!) but it's going really well, basically I just use the 20 minutes for dreaming up cool ideas of stuff I want to do and imagine I am doing them. I'm told that this will create the opportunities in real life. We'll see.

So. Life goal. I don't want to restrict coffee so it will have to be something else.

I'm tempted to say something about my comic which has been ridiculously badly on hold. Or reading books. Or going on walks. I just don't know. I want something interesting! I'll decide by the end of today.

OK. Decision on life goal. I've realised that with my mental capacity, my workload, my living situation stress and family illness stress I am not going to be able to make this a jazzy, all singing all dancing challenge and there is probably no point trying to think of a really amazing life goal. NEXT challenge, I will hopefully have got on top of my life again and can do something fabulous and interesting!

I'm going to get stricter on water drinking. A day will be not OK food wise from now on if I don't drink 2 litres. I'm not being hard on myself - I feel far more capable when I drink enough, so its not negotiable.

Today's going well, I have ticked everything off except the water

I've been living on biscuits and crisps.

MATE! This exactly. I was doing okay last challenge, and then I hit a wall. A wall made of chicken nuggets and Frosties. I had to print off a food plan from my gym instructor to get back on track. Glad you're doing okay this challenge.

I'm going to get stricter on water drinking.

Right there with you.

Have a great Week 2!

L_A_Malone: Level 2 Greek Demigod

First Challenge: A Demigod Finds Camp Half Blood

Second Challenge: A Demigod Returns

Third Challenge: A Demigod Awakens

Current Challenge: Demigod Rising

"There is only one thing we say to Death: Not today." - Syrio Forel

Ah, found you at last! I looked twice for your challenge a while back but didn't find it... probably because it was locked away with all the old challenges! Good to see you making progress already :)

I like that you're now officially a "Cupboard Assassin" (and not a "Cupboard-Assassin", who merely assassinates cupboards lol)

Also, separate to time management, I need to start tracking food PROPERLY instead of just protein grams (stop being lazy and get on myfitnesspal!) It's so interesting when I actually watch what I'm doing with my carbs and micronutrients, and how when I get enough of both I have enough energy, and when I don't I don't.

Yes, this is so true! I've gotten to the stage now where I actively dislike crap like crisps because I associate them with a guaranteed dip in how well I feel. Making habits of eating more healthy things is one of the best things you can do, especially when you're overworked.

I'm still 30g protein down today so not sure what to do about that.

Found some protein, (...)

**Ocelot kills a mouse that took a wrong turning and ended up in her cupboard**

Forget the coffee thing. I think? I don't know. I feel like one a day (and only when working) is actually literally necessary. May be wrong, but I think it will be easier to give up in the summer when I just want cold drinks.. Also, I'm pretty sure one every now and then isn't too bad for me, it's only when I go overboard and drink 6+ that I get headachey.

I agree with you (both from experience and from various bits of science I've read) that caffeine is good in small quantities (a few per week) but not more. One extra tip I have is to don't have coffee at the same time of day 2-3 days running (i.e., if you have it 15 minutes after getting into work in the morning on Monday, then don't do that on Tuesday... either wait until lunchtime, or some other time, or don't have one at all. This means your body never expects the caffeine hit and doesn't feel lethargic on its occasional non-arrival.

Good luck, I'll keep following now I've found you :)

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Hahaha, I should count mice instead of protein grams :P Simpler!

I like the coffee tip, I'm good at varying times (what I'm not good at is sticking to a routine!) so I should find it easy to caffeinate at different times each day.

I've sneaked out of the cupboard again this afternoon. Feeling good, probably due to water intake (already up to 1.5 litres) and my ongoing reliable nutrition input.

I finally had a few sparks of inspiration for what to do next challenge, after I escape. Its going to be necessary to stay in the cupboard for the duration of this one though. I've realised how important it is that I really, really learn to eat well and do all the basic things to keep me feeling good, or else I'm just going to flounder when setting harder goals.

My job isn't going to go away, but I am going to stop picking up all the overtime, in a month or so when I've got a cash buffer. Besides, I should have finished adjusting after another 5 weeks!

So I have an entirely free afternoon... time to get going on mobility and strength training, maybe even some sprints!

Hey, I was just thinking, if you can do this well nailing down the essentials while you're IN the cupboard, you'll be absolutely killing your next challenge once you're out of the cupboard.

Still think you're a ninja btw.

• Like 1

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%

Totally! Surviving while hiding out is totally a ninja skill. Sometimes you just have to go unseen and unheard for a long time. Then you spring out!

I'm getting more consistent... I got enough protein yesterday wthout too much struggling, ate fruit/veg and stretched/mobility trained/did some pull ups totally automatically.

Drinking enough too. And staying pretty relaxed, despite a lot of stressful stuff continuing to ambush me both expected and unexpected. I think going out and watching one of my favourite bands helped a lot.

• Like 1

Thank you, cmwandering. I am trying!

Well, another day another 12 hour shift. After work today I was waiting for the bus (getting too tiring, cycling there and back!) Then I realised as it was Saturday, it wasn't due to arrive for another hour. So I decided to walk to the next village to save myself 25p on the bus fare. A bit of it was on a quiet lane so I decided to run half a mile. I'm scared of losing fitness, as I've been doing so much work and not very much running, cycling or anything really.

HOWEVER. I am getting SUPER DUPER consistent on the old tracking front, and I am also taking the time out for visualisation every day without fail. I am doing very well at sticking to 1 coffee maximum, and I'm drinking enough water. I'm stretching and mobility training daily and some days I'm even doing bodyweight training too (though I wish I could get myself doing more of this!! Definitely losing conditioning!)

I missed my protein goal on Monday and Thursday, but only 10g and 14g so I'm not too bothered.

I feel like this challenge I'm actually improving day by day as opposed to last challenge where I started strong and faltered when life got too much.

Can't wait to see how much improved I am at life-ing when I'm not working such long hours. I feel extremely organised at the moment. I can do the housework, cook and train in a very short efficient manner. I've even got time left over for derping on the internet today. Hooray!

• Like 1

WEEK 2 REPORT

Day 8 - Missed protein by 5g :/

Day 9 - Woke up too late to do visualisation

Day 10 - All goals met

Day 11 - Missed protein by 11g

Day 12 - All goals met

Day 13- All goals met

Day 14 - Didn't train or hit protein goal. I did manage to track though.

Only 4 days out of 7 hitting protein goal. Not good enough! I'll have to start munching on the bats next.

I'm impressed/pleased you're managing to keep up with taking this challenge seriously despite being so busy with work :) When you're out of the cupboard, you'll be glad that you had the discipline now!

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

I'm impressed/pleased you're managing to keep up with taking this challenge seriously despite being so busy with work :) When you're out of the cupboard, you'll be glad that you had the discipline now!

+1

When I get onto crazy shifts like you're doing, everything else in my life goes all to hell. You're persisting with it in the face of life being a pain in the a**, as it is wont to do at times.

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%

Thanks guys. I know I sound like I'm moaning, and some of my friends have been saying things like "Just come out tonight! You can't be that tired! We all have stuff to do!"

I'm just gonna have a small vent, please feel free to skip!:

I AM used to hard work and being tired. This is a little more than that - 12 hour shifts are harder than I expected and although I only have 3 a week, I'm also doing 3 half days that I have to fit into the other 4 days, plus any overtime I feel the need to accept. Then there's the small fact that my mother is in and out of hospital, oh, and she lives a 3+ hour journey away so most of my being there for her is on the phone which is stressing me the hell out but I cannot take the time off work as her illness is chronic and this could go on indefinitely. Also my little sister is having life drama and of course I am the surrogate parent. THEN there's stress at home, with two of my housemates not speaking and me hating the atmosphere so much I have semi moved out and am trying to live in two places while deciding what to do medium term (hopefully we will all get along again in the long term!) I feel absolutely exhausted and I feel that I have to micromanage myself so much that every thought I have during the day is precious and I can't even waste time thinking about unimportant stuff if I could be planning shopping lists or remembering what I have to pack for the next day. I am TRYING to take an hour or two to myself in the evenings but even those get eaten away. I am waking up tired and feeling sore and sluggish most of the time. I'm not coping very well with everything I have committed myself to and there's no easy way out at the moment.

Phew, got that out of my system! All that said... I am actually gonna be proud that I am still managing to track food (a habit that I can do once I'm in it, but find it hard to get going) and at least stretch daily. If nothing else. Didn't hit protein yesterday as I thought... I think I did today but I'm not quite finished entering everything.

On the plus side, I am definitely finding ways of eating better in a low-effort manner. And drinking the water. I am a little worried about what my percentages will be like when I add them up. Protein is not quite good enough. I think its improving though. And I honestly do feel like simply keeping consistent track of my goal related stuff (exercise and food at least) is an achievement. If I can get that down this challenge and nothing else, I'll be happy enough.

Nothing wrong with moaning if you've got something to moan about! That sounds really heavy. I think you're handling it all admirably. You should be proud! 

As you say, it's harder to get going. So now you won't have to start again, because you haven't stopped.

I hope everything starts looking up for you soon.

gallery_34161_1540_240873.gif

(no reason)

• Like 1

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%

Hang in there Ocelot! Seems like you are doing an awesome job managing what time you do have and there is nothing wrong with doing what you need to do for you, especially if it means dropping any unnecessary drama. I wish the best for your mom. Keep on keeping on!!

• Like 2