bgvanbur runs and stuff :)

bgvanbur

Main Quest

Train for a 99 mile trail race in August.

News Year's Resolutions

Keep Calm & Play

Challenge Introduction

I have been solidly strength training three times a week since November and plan to keep that up for this challenge.  I also want to focus on keeping up my long runs so once the warm weather arrives I will have a good endurance base maintained.  And I want to be calmer, and I find that being outside and running help the most with this.

But the biggest thing I want to tackle is my diet.  I have skirted being primal for a while and have done challenges being primal.  I noticed last challenge my biggest diet failures always came at times of stress followed by eating crap followed by eating lots of crap.  If I stick to primal, sure I might have a binge when stressed by the total derailment usually is avoided and only mitigated.  And if I can do things to reduce stress (be outside and/or run), everything will be better.

Goals

(1)     95% primal +5 CON

(2) a: Exercise 40 times (includes strength training and long runs) +2 DEX

(2) b: At least strength training 17 times +2 STR

(2) c: At least 4 long runs +2 STA

(3)     Spend time purposely outside 36 times +2 WIS +2 CHA

Stats

LVL: 20, STR: 30, DEX: 28.5, STA: 45.25, CON: 16, WIS: 16.25, CHA: 11.75

• Like 3

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

The weekend went great leading up to this.  A 4:45 long run, around 95% primal, an hour group run, and lots of bacon :)

First day went great.  40 non-primal calories (a couple french fries leftover from kids and half of a cake forkful the baby refused).  Did my barbell workout.  Spent only required time outside due to extreme cold (even dog who loves being outside always wanted right in after doing her business).

Second day doing well so far.  Lazy start to morning, but did 45 flights of stairs in about 15 minutes when kids ate breakfast.  Chased after our dog after one of the kids let her out.  Skipped breakfast and primal lunch is already cooking in the oven.

• Like 2

Getting it done as ever, I see. I know I've said it before but 99 miles... Holy crap!

Do you not think you'd just want to do that last one to make it a round hundred though? 😉

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Consider the last mile trodding back to the car the 100th mile.   Goals are pretty solid and it will be fun to watch as you work ever closer to that 99 miler and going more and more primal.  I need to look up primal again.  Sometimes this all gets so confusing then again that is just me tonight.  ;)

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Consider the last mile trodding back to the car the 100th mile.   Goals are pretty solid and it will be fun to watch as you work ever closer to that 99 miler and going more and more primal.  I need to look up primal again.  Sometimes this all gets so confusing then again that is just me tonight.   ;)

Thanks.  But since the base camp has a parking lot, I won't have to walk far to get my ride.

Primal is based on Mark's Sisson's Primal Blueprint which is a version of paleo with the standard veggies, fruits and meats and avoiding processed things and wheat and such, but also says certain things are ok in moderation and recommends that deviations are ok but strive for high compliance and be smart when not.  So for me primal means I eat veggies, fruits, potatoes, meat (and it's broth), quality cheese, nuts (including peanuts), and pork rinds.  I do things like make banana cream when I get a hankering for ice cream.  And I strive for quality deviations like wine or dark chocolate.  But I also deviate on total processed food which is my goal to get away from.

Yesterday was a good diet day, ate a little much meat for dinner, had a lite yogurt (80 cal) and half of a mini bagel pizza (60 cal).  Still at 180 cal deviant for the week which is >95% primal :)

Did my barbell workout this morning.  Got the car stuck in a snow bank right before dropping off the kid at school (two guys from his school helped me push it out).  Diet primal so far with a roast in the crock pot for dinner.

• Like 1

Your definition of primal sounds a lot like the mark I've been aiming toward. A lot of veggies and meat, some fruit and nuts, and a little bit of certain grains and cheese. And I agree that being prepared to avoid a total derailment is more important than micromanaging every last mouthful.

I love being outside and getting a good run, separately or together. Great ways to reduce stress. Are there other things that you find are good at reducing stress? Especially, tools you could use when you might be stuck doing emergency errands that prevent you from having a big block of time to yourself?

• Like 1

Level Three Oracle of Doom.

Level Eight Dragon Tamer, Warrior Dash participant. Trail runner.   Respawned.

Your definition of primal sounds a lot like the mark I've been aiming toward. A lot of veggies and meat, some fruit and nuts, and a little bit of certain grains and cheese. And I agree that being prepared to avoid a total derailment is more important than micromanaging every last mouthful.

I love being outside and getting a good run, separately or together. Great ways to reduce stress. Are there other things that you find are good at reducing stress? Especially, tools you could use when you might be stuck doing emergency errands that prevent you from having a big block of time to yourself?

Yup, its the derailments that totally suck.  I know in the winter I don't go outside enough, I love it out there even in winter unless it was brutally cold (such as Monday with 0 F with a wind chill down to -20 F).  Yesterday, I took the dog for a short walk and push backed our snowbanks (not needed but fun to be out there).  I find playing games quite helpful, but something like reading a book doesn't help much with stress.

Doing great, 100% primal yesterday, was outside extra yesterday, did my barbell workout in the morning.  Ate a bunch yesterday but since being primal is my goal I stuck to primal foods instead of worrying about quantity.  My shoulders are achy today, not sure if it is from doing heavy barbell static holds or pushing the car out of the snow yesterday.

• Like 2

Still doing great.  100% primal again yesterday and trail group run in the snow last night (both exercise and outdoor goals).  Bought a bottle of wine, still have an unopened one but keeping up the buying one a paycheck (twice a month).  Oldest kid's birthday party tomorrow, plan is to be 100% primal during the day and have a glass or two during party clean up.

Despite eating what seems like a lot, almost a week on >95% primal and I have been losing weight and my 6 pack is visible once again at the perfect angle (which I kind of lost with the crap food binges that happened a few times in the past month).

• Like 3

You are doing fantastic!  Wow!  We had been mostly primal.  I do eat grains but am very picky.  We do like breads but make them ourselves and add things that make them nutritious.  Cheese is fine as long as it is the decent stuff and not often.  I would rather eat a little of good quality then a lot of the junk stuff.

Sounds like you have a plan for the party.  I am excited to hear how it goes.  

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

Woah, you are doing really well!  

Do you mind if I ask stupid questions?  Like how does one even run 99 miles?  In one day or do you camp somewhere?  How often do you stop?  How long is a long run for you?

• Like 1

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

Hey B.

I finally got here.

You are doing some great Primal, man. And losing weight? Nice combo, especially when the washboards come out.

I hope the fun stuff is happening as well. Although chasing a dog can be fun. But not always.

Doing wonderful things, B. Keep it up.

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

You are doing fantastic!  Wow!  We had been mostly primal.  I do eat grains but am very picky.  We do like breads but make them ourselves and add things that make them nutritious.  Cheese is fine as long as it is the decent stuff and not often.  I would rather eat a little of good quality then a lot of the junk stuff.

Sounds like you have a plan for the party.  I am excited to hear how it goes.  

Thanks.  I find grains to be a slippery slope for me if they are some of my old gotos.

Woah, you are doing really well!  

Do you mind if I ask stupid questions?  Like how does one even run 99 miles?  In one day or do you camp somewhere?  How often do you stop?  How long is a long run for you?

This is a 99 mile with a 28 hour cutoff.  So for these style, it is just go until you finish or you hit the cutoff.  And not just running but walking too.  My farthest distance is a few 50ks and 40ks.  Plan on running a little farther in preparation but mostly focus on weekly long runs and other aspects (like night running, walking/running transitions, foods during runs etc).

Hey B.

I finally got here.

You are doing some great Primal, man. And losing weight? Nice combo, especially when the washboards come out.

I hope the fun stuff is happening as well. Although chasing a dog can be fun. But not always.

Doing wonderful things, B. Keep it up.

Thanks.  Chasing a dog is always very stressful for me.  Our bird dog doesn't have good recall if she has free range (but good in the house or fenced in yard).

Party in progress, since dog is boarded up in my home office I took a break to catch up on some Nerd Fitness motivation and give her some company.

• Like 2

Party went great, ended just having one glass of wine and one cookie (180 calories) as far as non-primal stuff (and ate a bowl of veggies from from the veggie tray and a bowl of fruit from the fruit kabobs).

Sunday went well too (just a glass of wine at the end of the day).

I pulled something in my left mid to upper back when doing cleans this morning lifting.  Stopped immediately, not too bad as in I still did my shoveling and such, but definitely going to take it easy.  Thinking at least 2 days off regardless of aches, any aches might push next barbell workout further out.  Use walking for exercise.

Goals

520 calories non-primal, so 96% primal!

6 workouts

3 barbell workouts

0 long runs

(3)     Spend time purposely outside 36 times +2 WIS +2 CHA

6 times

Upcoming Week

Focus on getting more primal days under the belt (9 days so far).  Be mindful of aches.  And enjoy the heat wave coming (above freezing)!

• Like 2

Way to go with managing the party food!  

Hope your back recovers quickly but I think that is not an issue since you are taking the more prudent route of taking it easy.

• Like 1

Way to go with managing the party food!  

Hope your back recovers quickly but I think that is not an issue since you are taking the more prudent route of taking it easy.

Thanks and thanks!

Well we have a roof leak in our kitchen, so I got on the roof and shoveled off a foot of snow over the leak area to minimize the leak damage.  Was more concerned about my back then sliding off, but the back had no issues at all.

Sleep was a little restless due to the back but seems much better today.  So lift Thursday or Friday without doing any cleans and add those back in a week or so restarting at an easier weight and work on form and practice.

• Like 3

The back seems good now, but will probably wait till Friday just to be safe.  Went out last night to walk but instead did 15 minutes of shoveling instead, still counting as a workout for the challenge since didn't want to do too much.  Was prepared to go running this morning (nice and warm) but since the roads were slick ice I walked instead.  Diet has been great, 120 calories non-primal and the non-primal cravings are becoming less frequent, woohoo!

• Like 2

Always an inspiration reading your threads.

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Thanks and thanks.

Yesterday was my son's appointment to see if is on the autism spectrum.  Inconclusive since he doesn't cooperate, if I knew that was an option I would have told you that before the appointment.

We went out for chinese buffet.  I choose all primal type foods, but who knows how primal they really are (such as brocolli and cheese but what kind of cheese, some of the sushi had cream cheese, the fish was cooked in some kind of butter/oil, etc).  So if lunch was 50% of my day (it was a buffet after all) I will treat it as 10% non-primal to be on the safe side.  Still hitting above 95% primal for the week so far.  And overnight I cooked pork butt / bean / vegetable soup and currently making roasted veggies with some ground pork, so it will be easy to eat primal now.

I stubbed my toe bad Wednesday night and actually broke off part of the nail to the point of bleeding and soreness.  No running Thursday, did some shoveling to be outside but not really enough to call it a workout.  Got the ok from wife to run Saturday morning (since missed group runs) but now wondering if my toe will ok in time, seems much better now but that doesn't mean 2 hours running won't aggravate it.

Didn't feel any back soreness yesterday so I did my barbell workout this morning.  Back felt great, no issues.  Even took a video of 36" box jump (x5).

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10101238090518715&l=1473216701433046719

• Like 3

Those box jumps look completely INSANE and AMAZING!  Holy Moly Batman!!!

Hope you got out to run despite the toe.  This has been the week of bumps and bruises...oh my!

• Like 2

Thanks.  The back still great and toenail good enough to run :)

Did a trail group run on Sunday.  Some of the well traveled trails were ok but some points was knee deep unbroken snow and lots of people complaining of fatique and such.  I didn't feel fatigued at all, just slowed down.

Diet was ok for the week but did have a few more deviant things than usual for the weekend (2 beers, glass of wine and a small chocolate).

This morning I did a barbell workout, 1 mile run with the dog (in shorts!) and about 30 minutes of shoveling back the snow bank before the inside freezes solid with the warm temps this week.

Goals

week: 871 calories, 94.3% primal

total: 1391 calories non-primal, so 95.5% primal!

week: 4 workouts

total: 10 workouts

week: 2 barbell workouts

total: 5 barbell workouts

0 long runs

(3)     Spend time purposely outside 36 days +2 WIS +2 CHA

week: 6 days

total: 12 days

Forecast

* Getting a little behind in workouts, luckily the weather is going to so warm this week I can run, run and more run!

* Two weeks no long run.  I won't be able to do a long run this weekend very easily either.  So thinking a late night run or 4am morning run.

* 16 days averaging 95% primal, just keep it going :)

• Like 3