bgvanbur runs and stuff :)

bgvanbur

I love reading your thread because it always makes me feel like I can do more. Did you read about that sprint workout somewhere? Were you following a plan, or did you design it yourself?

I did not read it specifically anywhere.  Occasionally on long runs I would run backwards for maybe 10 seconds along with other stretches on the move to get out of doing the same running motion.  So when I started doing sprints regularly last spring I did some backwards ones and it made me super sore for days (probably shouldn't have done 10 minutes worth the first time!).  Obviously this was challenging for my body so I periodically do them with my sprints sometimes, and from there it expanded to trying all different kinds of non-traditional upright moving.  Don't get sore too much from it any more, I hope it is working on some muscles not worked typically and definitely helps with balance/proprioception.

The ultra runner guest speaker thing was awesome.  Went on for almost 2 hours.  Some key things I took from it:

*) All 5 favorite ultra moment was in their first or second ultra which caused them to get hooked

*) DNFs are just as likely in super trained individuals as they are in under trained individuals

*) Hard to know when to pull out of race as a runner, as a crew member, a pacer, etc

*) That running through the night is rough but when you hit dawn you get a boost of energy

*) 100s involve lots of cycles of various things such as wanting to absolutely quit to an hour later running your fastest miles

*) One of them was trying a high fat / low carb diet, first time I met a runner in person that actually thinks this could be a good thing (all my runner friends are carb junkies)

I also bought my injini toe socks and first official running shorts (been planning these purchases for a while now).

Did my barbell workout this morning, still surprised my stiff leg deadlift is going real close to my conventional deadlift max.

• Like 2

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Weekend was lazy and non-primal when I was at my mom's (pizza for lunch, ice cream cake and cookies for snack, counting as half a day worth of calories).  Was outside at least.

Progress

(1) 95% primal

week: 1837 calories, 88.1% primal

total: 4296 calories non-primal, so 94.4% primal!

(2) a: Exercise 40 times (includes strength training and long runs)

week: 4 workouts

total: 29 workouts

(2) b: At least strength training 17 times

week: 2 barbell workouts

total: 13 barbell workouts

(2) c: At least 4 long runs

week: 0 long runs

total: 1 long runs

(3) Spend time purposely outside 36 days

week: 6 days

total: 29 days

Forecast

I can still get As in primal (stay below 350 non-primal calories).

Considering I didn't work out this morning getting in 11 workouts to get the A seems far fetched...

Barbell workouts, I could do M (tonight), W, F, and Sunday to get it in which isn't too bad since planning a week off of barbell during the challenge break.

3 long runs?  Well I will target at least one.

Outside every day and I can still get the A!

I guess I have a busy week :)

• Like 2

Okay you can do an ultra, you can get through the week and get what you want to accomplish.  :)  

That guest speaker you heard sounds like they were really interesting.  I listen to a wide range of podcasts.  One is enduranceplant.  Okay the gal can drive me a little batty but she is still pretty good.  On there was a 3 part feature of the FASTER study (low carb and fat adapted endurance athletes).  They spoke with an ultra runner that was part of the study.  Zach Bitter.  You might find it interesting.

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Definitely an ultra week if I get all As!  Endurance Plant sounds like an interesting vegetarian/vegan podcast, I did find the planet podcast though.  I added the Zach Bitter ones to my playlist and see some other promising interview people if I like the podcast, thanks for the suggestion.

Had a good start for the week barbell workout last night.  I used a stopwatch and tried to measure power.  For squats and deadlifts power maxed around half weight but for overhead press and bent over rows closer to 75%.  Barbells and stopwatches are exhausting.  Did a short run this morning with the dog and a trail group run planned for tonight.  100% primal yesterday and a fridge jammed packed with vegetables!  Outside yesterday and today too.

• Like 1

*) 100s involve lots of cycles of various things such as wanting to absolutely quit to an hour later running your fastest miles

They talked about that a fair amount in Born to Run. In fact, I took a couple notes.

"Instead of cringing from fatigue, you embrace it. You refuse to let it go. You get to know it so well, you're not afraid of it anymore. ... the only way to truly conquer something is to love it."

"Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."

"The two of them set off down the trail. Jenn ran silently, still feeling awful and debating whether to return to the aid station and quit. Billy coaxed her along just by being there. Jenn struggled through one mile, then another, and something strange began to happen: her despair was replaced by elation, by the feeling that damn, how cool it was to be wandering this amazing wilderness under a burning sunset, feeling free and naked and fast, the forest breeze cooling their sweating skin."

• Like 1

Level Three Oracle of Doom.

Level Eight Dragon Tamer, Warrior Dash participant. Trail runner.   Respawned.

I read Born To Run when I was initially getting back into running, perhaps now that I further along I should reread it will my new perspective and wisdom :)

I listened to all 3 parts of the FASTER episodes on Endurance Planet and really liked them.  In part 1 he mentioned going from 300-400 calories an hour for races to 156 calories an hour for his latest race.  But I was burning to know what kind of things that was.  On his blog I found the answer (http://zachbitter.com/blog/2014/11/gauging-recovery-and-strategizing-pre-race-nutrition.html).  Basically week before race low carb, 36 hours before race sneak in more carbs, low carb breakfast race morning, and once racing start his carb trickle.  Not super specific but something that sounds like a good strategy.

Another entry of his:

Fuel:
Vespa Protocol:
  • Ultra concentrate with breakfast
  • Vespa Junior at start
  • Ultra concentrate every 2 hrs or Junior every 90 min.

My biggest problem is I don't want to eat processed junk.  So, as always, an idea but not a specific plan for me.

Did my barbell workout this morning.  Trail group run last night and it was amazing to be on snow, ice, mud and even dry dirt for the first time in months and no extra traction (did wear my trail shoes with the best grip though).  Wrung my socks of mud :)

• Like 2

For lunch I made bacon sweet potatoes with cinnamon in one pan and white potatoes with ground beef and garlic in another pan.  Since I could eat these so much, lunch plate was half salad, quarter sweet potato bake and quarter white potato bake.  I have been loving bacon and sweet potatoes lately and they came out amazing.  And way better than a bag of chips with less calories per satisfyingness.

• Like 2

Bacon and sweet potato seem to be made for each other.  Throw in some avacado and all is really good! 

Yeah I am not keen on processed junk either.  I think you can get your protien/carbs from better sources for sure.  We have opted to putting the time to make our own stuff and avoid processed as much as possible.  :)  

• Like 1

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

So I have been skipping breakfast lately in a pseudo intermittent fasting method, but was ravenous last night and quickly devoured the remaining bakes, some ham my mom sent home with us from the weekend, the bacon and 3 bananas.  At least I didn't eat the cookies and chocolates.  I didn't work out last night (perfect opportunity since wife was out).  But looking to do a triple workout day today with the beautiful weather (already did a run this morning).

And yesterday boys played outside while I some of the outdoor tables and toys out of the shed, then we ate lunch outside (it may have been 40 F but it felt warm to us, and today supposedly has a high of 68 F).

A triple workout?  Wow.  Granted I am planning on having similar fun.  Sounds like you were quite hungry.  Do you think it was from the fasting you mentioned?

I know people look at me for not wearing coats when it is 40 out.  LOL  Spend enough time outside and your idea of warm/cold changes.  Sounds like you had fun with the boys.

• Like 1

A triple workout?  Wow.  Granted I am planning on having similar fun.  Sounds like you were quite hungry.  Do you think it was from the fasting you mentioned?

I know people look at me for not wearing coats when it is 40 out.  LOL  Spend enough time outside and your idea of warm/cold changes.  Sounds like you had fun with the boys.

Well the triple workout didn't happen, just a double workout but I am fine with that.  Did my barbell workout this morning, the baby woke up early so he laid on the bench for the bench press and fell back asleep so no bench pressing this morning :)  Planning to do a short lunch run this afternoon before the super nice weather goes away for a week or more.

When I do skip breakfast, I plan to eat more at the other meals, but it feels like I was eating more altogether than normal.  Even had 30 cals of chocolate and 80 cals of wine yesterday (first non-primal calories for the week) and despite that and 3 sweet potatoes and 3 bananas (and fat/protein) somehow got into ketosis this morning :)  I think I will try to stay in ketosis till I get my long run done for the weekend (good fat burning training).

Still possible to get multiple As but need to be careful on the primal front (great reason to not eat some of the Easter junk anyways).

• Like 2

Did a lunch time bike ride.  Been 4 months since being on a bike that moves (and only maybe an hour of stationary bike in that time).  My knees are a little sore from those hills :)

• Like 1

Those bakes sound fantastic!

Totally what Sue said about being outdoors in the weather. I was out in 39 F yesterday morning in my running capris and tech shirt and everyone else had on all these big raincoats and everything.... I felt great though.  ;)

• Like 1

Level Three Oracle of Doom.

Level Eight Dragon Tamer, Warrior Dash participant. Trail runner.   Respawned.

Yay bikes!  

You are doing great.  Admittedly I am not staying away from some Easter stuff....mainly our traditional flaming peeps with friends after family leave.  LOL  :)  If it is not on fire then I am planning on not having on eating any.  Do your kids give you some to share?  Hard to say no thank you when they are so excited to give you something. 

Definitely excited to ride my bike more but it is cold again :(  I have been never been a big fan of peeps but used to love bunny money (or is it munny?) but got it the last few years and did not like it.  I had a glass of wine with Easter lunch (since in-laws wanted to get on the road in the afternoon) and ate extra asparagus and ham for dessert.

Did a run Saturday with the dog on beautiful trails (expected more snow/ice).  This morning I got up at 4am, did my normal barbell workout and did a long easy run for 2:15 (counting as two workouts).  So all the barbell workouts completed and total workouts for challenge.  Still have some deviant calories left for the challenge so should get an A there too.  Just slacked on the long run goal this time around.  Full report when I know the final deviant caloric totals.

• Like 1

Knowing what I needed to do to get As let me do enough to get all but one A!

Results

(1) 95% primal

week: 285 calories, 98.2% primal

total: 4581 calories non-primal, so 95.04% primal!

A!

(2) a: Exercise 40 times (includes strength training and long runs)

week: 11 workouts

total: 40 workouts

A!

(2) b: At least strength training 17 times

week: 4 barbell workouts

total: 17 barbell workouts

A!

(2) c: At least 4 long runs

week: 1 long runs

total: 2 long runs

C!

(3) Spend time purposely outside 36 days

week: 7 days

total: 36 days

A!

Stats

+5 CON

+2 DEX

+2 STR

+1 STA

+2 WIS +2 CHA

LVL: 21, STR: 32, DEX: 30.5, STA: 46.25, CON: 21, WIS: 18.25, CHA: 13.75

• Like 1

All but 1, that's fantastic, B.

I love that you are killing the Primal. It really seems to be a solid part of your lifestyle now.

Long runs were filled with a lot of weather-based hurdles as I recall. Are you going to keep that goal for 'actual' spring?

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Thanks!

I kept treating primal as a diet and it was being just that, something I would do when I wanted to lose the weight but slack on when my weight was doing good.  I think treating it as a lifestyle makes it work better.

Kind of disappointed in the long run goal, part of it was weather based, staying up too late, being busy most weekends and making excuses instead of making time on those weekends.  Upping the ante to 6 long workouts next challenge (and 1 during the week off), but I want to get in a long bike ride and a long hike in that time so same goal of 4 long runs plus the others.

oh why not post it 4 times right?  I mean you did do awesome afterall!  Hope you are pleased with your progress.  It is really impressive.

• Like 2