AL gets ready to ride

Old Man AL

So, spring is coming to Minneapolis, probably, and with it I'll be hoping to break my trusty steed out of the shed and start riding it to work again.  But there's a problem with that plan, I'm not ready for that physically.  My mount is a XL Cannondale Quick5 and it really isn't meant for a rider over 200 lbs.  I'm currently clocking in the 270 neighborhood, I'm also not ready from a cardio perspective.  On the bright side, I doubt it's going to be warm enough for me to consider riding until the end of the challenge.  I plan to see just how much weight I can reasonably healthily loose in 6 weeks and I want to be really intense about it.  I'd guess that hitting 30 is about the limit of what I can do, so here we go.

Challenge #1: Goodbye Eric Cartman.

I will weigh in every Monday morning before breakfast.  This is my primary aim for this challenge.

A=30 lbs lost

B=25 lbs lost

C=20 lbs lost

D=15 lbs lost

Challenge #2: We all float down here...

Hydration is key to keeping up my will power, keeping up my energy levels, and keeping my systems functioning at their peak, So I'm shooting for a gallon per day based on the rough 1 oz per kilo of body weight.

A= 8 pints per day

B= 7 pints per day

C= 6 pints per day

D= 5 pints per day

Challenge #3:  Ride off into the sunset

We have an elliptical machine in the other room, it can be adjusted from Cross Country to Cycling.  Cycling is much harder.  I should be able to get on it every day right after work and twice a day on the weekends, so that would be 9 times a week, for 20 minutes each time, with a goal of 120 cal burned per the on board computer, just for a relatively consistent measure of the workout.  I will start at full cross country skiing and move one notch closer to cycling each week.

A= 9 runs per week

B= 8 runs per week,

C= 7 runs per week

D= 6 runs per week

Side Challenge: reshoe the steed.  I'm pretty sure I have a couple of broken spokes on the back wheel of my bike right now, so that will need to be dealt with by the end of this challenge too.

I also started lifting again in my last challenge, and I'm going to stick with that too, since it is a great way to burn some extra energy but I'm not setting specific goals around that this time around.

Stick with it y'all, this is the challenge where we set ourselves apart from the New Years resolutioners.

Level 2 Human Squire

I want to be a Paladin.  Current Challenge Battle Log

Previous Challenges: 1  2

Challenge: Go from a 42 inch waist to a 34 inch waist

25%
25%

Challenge: 100 Wilkes point deadlift.

76.73%
76.73%

Weighed in this morning at 263.4.  That's lower than expected, but there's a good chance that's due to dehydration.  We'll see what next Monday brings.  Hit the weights this morning for the omnibus upper body workout and drank a quart of water while working out.  Felt good!  Now I'm sitting at work under the fluorescent lights trying to remember to fidget, or move a bit now and then.

Happy Monday, everybody!

Level 2 Human Squire

25%
25%

76.73%
76.73%

So the end of this challenge is going to coincide with two things.  The first is that I'll be spending the last week of the challenge with my in-laws in Dallas.  My favorite things to do there are eat poorly, watch TV and drink beer.  Since the focus of this challenge is weight loss, that may have to change this time.  I need to find a gym that I can go to and work out, but also to get me out of the house and away from delicious things like Costco's peanut butter filled pretzels.  and the beer.  and the TV.  at least the weather should be good for getting outside.

The second thing that it's going to coincide with is my first mud\obstacle run.  The original mud run will take place on April 6th, and it's only 15 or 20 minutes from their place.  I'm signed up and it's on.  I am so psyched.  Right now that's really driving my training.  Which is good because I have 5 weeks to get myself in as much of an improved condition as possible.

Level 2 Human Squire

25%
25%

76.73%
76.73%

AW YEAH.  First weigh in shows me at 254.2 lbs.  I lost 9.2 pounds last week.  So I'm progressing toward challenge #1.  Nailed my hydration and elliptical trainer challenges for A's too, and kept up with my weight lifting on the side.  I really poured into this first week, and the numbers tell the tale.  I know that won't be as high next week, but I'm really shooting to keep the momentum on this week.

All the workouts, all the meal planning, all the dedication to the goal, it all paid off this week.  As Hannibal used to say, "I love it when a plan comes together."

Level 2 Human Squire

25%
25%

76.73%
76.73%

Yesterday was the first "mighty sucky" day of this challenge.  I forgot to set the alarm, so I didn't wake up in time to lift, which isn't a challenge of mine, but it really sets the tone for my day.  Then I had a charity event with the Missus right after work, and we got home late and then we had to talk about feelings.  I wound up being 3 pints behind on my water intake, and I didn't get on the elliptical at all.  Diet was fair, the dinner at the event was asparagus, potatos and chicken breast, but it was all covered in this weird cream sauce.  To be honest, it wasn't very good. 

It fill me with rage when a meal is both questionably health AND untasty.  :blue:

I had eggs and sausage for breakfast today, which is above and beyond, but that will be our only shortfall today, and I intend to punish my goals this weekend.

Level 2 Human Squire

25%
25%

76.73%
76.73%

So I weighed in at 252.2 this morning.  I've lost 2 lbs since last week.  Not enough.

Hydration averages out to just under 7 pints, but I'm rounding up and giving myself a B for the week in that.

I missed one ride on the elliptical so I get a B for the week in that too.

So, I guess I need to start tracking my diet.  I've been going with a gut feeling, but I need data now.  I don't feel that week one and two were that different, but it's a 5 fold weight loss difference.  I need something to hang that on.  Need to bring that back up to snuff if I want a decent grade on my primary challenge.  I also need to stop looking at each individual weigh in as a final goal, this has to be sustainable.

On the bright side, I'm almost small enough to put away my "fat belts" and try and find where the regular ones are again.  That's nice, it's been a while.

Level 2 Human Squire

25%
25%

76.73%
76.73%

I started couch to 5k yesterday.  It's too late for me to be in 5k shape for the mud run, so we're just going to get as close as possible.  It'll be better, and better is better.  Since I'm off work most of this week, I'm really hammering my fitness goals.  Sunday will be a total rest day.  It also happens that this is the first week of AWESOME weather in Minneapolis, so I've been doing tons of stuff outside.  It is so good.

Level 2 Human Squire

25%
25%

76.73%
76.73%

Apparently tracking your diet, so you know what's going in works.  Weighed in at 246.8 this morning, so that's 5.4 pounds this week.  Right on target.  However, I did seriously bork the elliptical machine.  I took it apart last night and had to weld one of the axels back together, and I still have to figure out how to shim the head unit so it doesn't wiggle.  What I'm getting to here is that I humongously failed my goal of hitting the elliptical 9 times this week.  I was on it 2.5 times, then it died.  Really hoping to get it back together tonight.  I did great on my hydration goal.  solid A there. 

I'm also on the couch to 5k now, looking forward to the first "week 2" workout tonight!

Level 2 Human Squire

25%
25%

76.73%
76.73%

Hit the scale for 244.0 this morning.  So I'm down 2.8 lbs this week.  I won't lie, I wanted more than that.  It is hilarious how my day to day progress follows my hydration.  I leave for Texas on Saturday morning.  I can't wait to spend some serious time outside.

I also didn't do any running on the elliptical this week, but I did stick with c25k.  The elliptical is still waiting for parts to arrive, since my heavy, aggressive kiester put the hurt on it.  Hydration was fair, I averaged about 6.8 pints per day.  So a B-.  That needs to be A level every day.

In other news, I just read Steve's article about self-fulfilling prophecy.  It was great.  One of mine is, "I always gain 10 lbs in Texas."  It turns out that may not have to be true.  It's not like they have high calorie air down there.  I think I could actually walk\run\bike\swim and just maybe control my food shoveling hand enough that I actually lose weight or at least maintain while I'm there.  We'll see.

Level 2 Human Squire

25%
25%

76.73%
76.73%

Ok, hitting reset as of now.  I've been slacking on my food logging, my lifting, my cardio and my overall drive.  There are less than two weeks left in this challenge.  So it's time put the lever in overdrive and smash through the rest of this challenge.  My wife made snickerdoodle bars last night and I TOTALLY lost my composure.  They are so good.  But that's it.  Throttle down now as the clock winds down.

Level 2 Human Squire

25%
25%

76.73%
76.73%

Throttle down indeed! I hope you have a great trip to Texas and a wonderful time doing the mud run. As you suggested, make it a priority to figure out how to get some exercise while you are down there. Great job sticking with the challenge...it sounds like you are heading in to the tough part now, so finish strong!

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

End of challenge notes.

My final weigh in was at 248.2 pounds, so I lost 15.2 pounds.  That gets me a D

Hydration ends at an average of about 6 pints per day, although at the end there were some days that weren't tracked.  That gets me a C.  The final parts for the elliptical arrived while I was away, so that's fixed now, but it's a little late.  Still I actually entered and finished a 5k, and it was a mud run, and my time was decent, so I'm giving myself a C*.

I'm taking the bike to the repair shop tomorrow and re-writing my life plan\day plan right now.  Gearing up for the next challenge because I feel so much better when I'm doing things that make me better.

Better is better

but better would be better.

Level 2 Human Squire

25%
25%

76.73%
76.73%