theseus forges an iron will

theseus

This will be my first challenge as an Assassin, so I want to make it good.

This may be a bit boring, but I found that doing 2 strength routines and 3 cardio sessions a week really helped me toward my weight loss goal last time around. That being the case...

* 2 bodyweight workouts/week: I also now have *rings* - so those will come into play big time. Going to use them for ring pushups (to supplement any other kind of pushup) and bodyweight rows. I do not have a specific workout in mind, but I'll likely alternate between my beefed-up version of the NF Beginner's Bodyweight Routine and a 5x5 circuit I concocted the other day. The 5x5 consists of bodyweight rows (rings), pushups, weighted step-ups, and hanging leg raises (rings). It is much harder than it sounds on paper.

* 3 cardio sessions (at least 30 min/session)/week: Squash, dance, stationary bike, walking/jogging/SPRINTING. Anything that gets the heart rate up. Good for the ol' ticker and the waistline.

NEW STUFF:

==========

* Hand-balancing: Taking my inspiration from ßean on this one. I'm not at handstand level, so I'm going to focus on crow pose. 5 mins practice every day.

* Hit up the parkour gym: Just learned there's a parkour gym in my city. Check it out at least once or twice during the challenge. Bonus points for taking a class.

* Create a dance routine: Pick a song, use some things I've learned so far in dance class, and slap together a routine for 30 secs or so. If I'm feeling really bold, I'll even commit it to film.

* Shred! Been playing guitar for a long time, but rarely practice or record much these days. I'm going to tackle the solo section of X Japan's "Silent Jealousy" and make a video of myself doing a playthrough by the end of the challenge. Solo starts at 4:38.

* No PIZZA. Just not going to eat pizza this whole challenge. Yep.

* No Booze: Technically doesn't start until March 1. Going to take the month off from beer/wine etc.

• Like 1

Start weight: 223, Current weight: 170, Goal weight: 165

Dwarf Assassin, Battle log: theseus declares war on sloth and boredom

Put in my first crow training session using the GMB tutorial. This one's going to be tough. Right now my best is about a split second, BUT I didn't fall on my face either, so great success.

Week 1:

======

* Balancing (1/7)

* BWW (0/2)

* Cardio (0/3)

• Like 1

Not falling on your face is counted as success. Great challenge start.

• Like 1

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

~85 minutes of squash yesterday and 15 minutes of running the previous day. The week's cardio is off to a good start! Also tried some wall planks for balance practice yesterday, though I haven't gotten a chance to do any balance practice yet today.

Week 1:

======

* Balancing (2/7)

* BWW (0/2)

* Cardio (2/3)

• Like 1

Totally missed hand balance practice yesterday. Ah well :[

Did a bodyweight workout today (followed by a 15 min bike cooldown):

5 circuits:

* 10 sec wall plank

* 5 inverted ring rows

* 5 pushups

* 5 weighted step ups (each leg - 23 lb dumbbell overhead)

* 5 hanging leg raises (neutral grip)

Week 1:

======

* Balancing (5/7)

* BWW (1/2)

* Cardio (3/3)

• Like 1

Glad to see that everything is going well so far. :)  I think you might have been a wiser man than I to go after the crow pose instead of the handstand right away.  Oh well, you live and learn and then fall on your face.

• Like 1

Current Challenge - ßean limps into the Assassins Guild Daily Battle Log - ßean's Daily Grind No Soda Challenge: 365 Days | Current: 175 Days (Updated 07/19/15)

47.95%
47.95%

Great day! Got to the parkour gym and had an absolute BLAST! 

Guess my grip strength is improving! I squeezed in some wall plank work in addition to learning how to vault and do a shoulder roll. Also did a front flip into a foam pit - that felt pretty crazy.

Counting today as a bodyweight workout - it was so intense!

Week 1:

======

* Balancing (6/7)

* BWW (2/2)

* Cardio (3/3)

• Like 1

Skipped hand balancing yesterday due to unreasonable soreness post-parkour gym. Going to give squash a try tonight, but wow - I worked my arms/hands pretty hard on Sunday.

I also experienced my first torn callus on my dominant hand. Did not realize there were things you could do to mitigate the possibility of callus tears beforehand. Oh well - hopefully I can continue to train while it is healing up.

Tues:

Played squash for ~35 min. Ended up aggravating a sore right quad and had some limited mobility for the past day or so. It's shown improvement with icing, so hopefully all will be back to normal within a few days - week. Bailed on hand balancing practice after feeling a bit dejected by the squash injury situation.

Weds:

Right leg improving. Did a light stationary bike session for 40 mins, followed by a half-hearted attempt at hand balancing. The quad injury is keeping me from practicing crow right now, so I did two wall planks instead. That was all I had in me yesterday.

I normally would have gone to hip hop class on Weds night, but the leg kept me away from it. Hopefully I can get back there next week. I hadn't missed a class in 8 straight weeks.

Week 2:

======

* Balancing (.5/7)

* BWW (0/2)

* Cardio (2/3)

Yeah, the post-parkour quad pain is such a killer.  I was more or less out of commission for 2 full days after my parkour intro.  On the third day, I still had somewhat awful DOMS, but at least they were the type that I could warm up through and still perform.  

I hope your quads are feeling better today, so you can move forward with the crow pose and all of the other things you'd like to be doing.

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Yeah, the post-parkour quad pain is such a killer.  I was more or less out of commission for 2 full days after my parkour intro.  On the third day, I still had somewhat awful DOMS, but at least they were the type that I could warm up through and still perform.  

I hope your quads are feeling better today, so you can move forward with the crow pose and all of the other things you'd like to be doing.

It's definitely getting better as the days progress. Thanks for the well wishes!

Got in a bodyweight workout today. 10 mins of stationary bike warm-up/10mins on bike cooldown. Here's the breakdown:

5 circuits total. Skipped leg stuff due to quad issues.

* 1 wall plank (shoot for 5-10 seconds) [only did this during rounds 1-3 this time]

* 6 inverted ring rows [my body's starting roughly parallel to the ground at this point with my feet up on an object]

* 5 elbows-in pushups [these are getting easier! - I should up the number of reps next time]

* 30 sec plank (w/ 10 of those seconds on one leg only)

* 3 neutral grip chin-ups [need to hit the floor between each - can't do them in a row yet]

This week's been a mixed bag.

The good:

* Set a pushup PR - and posted it up over here.

* Down another 1-1.5 lbs.

* Was successful in avoiding both pizza and booze.

* I can now do 2 neutral grip chinups before hitting the ground! I honestly think that might be a lifetime PR - so I'm pretty happy about that. 

The not-so-good:

* Injured right quad :grumpy: Limited mobility when lifting that leg toward my body.

* Missed dance due to above. *sigh*

* Missed a bunch of hand balancing work. Crow's out right now (again - see above), and wall planks are good but pretty exhausting, so I can't really get in a full 5 mins per day doing that.

Luckily stationary cycling hasn't seemed to bother my leg, so I can still get some moderate cardio in at this point. Oh, and upper body stuff is still totally doable, so that's a plus!

Got in 30 mins on the bike yesterday, so I at least hit my cardio goal for the week. Going to try to get in a bodyweight workout before the end of the day.

Week 2 so far:

===========

* Balancing (1.5/7)

* BWW (1/2)

* Cardio (3/3)

* Was successful in avoiding both pizza and booze.

* I can now do 2 neutral grip chinups before hitting the ground! I honestly think that might be a lifetime PR - so I'm pretty happy about that. 

These are some big deals. Nicely done. Let's go at week 3!

• Like 1

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

Thanks for checking in! I'm glad to report the leg is good to go! 

This challenge has been a total bust in most respects, but I'm proud to say I've now been to the parkour gym twice. A few days ago I successfully got over a 7' wall, which felt pretty good. I also got down under 200lbs earlier this week. So even though a lot of the skill practice I intended to work on fell to the wayside, I'm feeling pretty alright overall.

Thanks again for checking in. I've been looking at this for a week trying to figure out what to write. Glad I finally got to give a quick update.