ValkyrieGrace runs the neighborhood

ValkyrieGrace

My second challenge! After months of not running, I recently trained for and ran a 5k color run. I forgot how much I love it! While training I ran my fastest mile time (8:22) AND ran the farthest I ever have without stopping to walk(3 miles). I was PUMPED and INSPIRED!

Goals: Be light, nimble and fast

Goal One: Run a mile in under 8 minutes

Goal Two: Increase long run, without stopping, from 3 miles to 4 miles

Goal Two: Increase long run, without stopping, from 4 miles to 5 miles

Goal Three: Keep eating on track without cheats. No cake! (Who was I kidding?! Myself obviously. Cutting it out completely leads to binges. Not too pretty)

My name is ValkyrieGrace, and I have a problem. I am addicted to cake and chocolate and sugar and anything bad for me that I can shove in my face!! Evidence is the empty bowl of frosting in my sink and whole loaf of chiabatta bread I ate today... Grooooan

One little "treat" just wires my brain to wanting more more more!! I'm using this challenge to break the cycle.

Strategy:

Run 3x a week:Two interval runsa and one long run (4 miles 5miles, running as much as possible, without dying)

Body weight work 3x a week. (squats, kicks, pushups, planks, lather, rinse, repeat)

One Rest day.

I will log my eating and adhere to my diet guidelines; lean protein, veggies, sweet potatos, some fruit and healthy fats.

Let's run!

• Like 2

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

Did bodyweight workout today, about 30 mins. I didn't want to, but I couldn't skip the first  workout of the challenge! My right ankle is pretty sore for some crazy reason.... Ready to run tomorrow! Eating was on track. Even though I stayed in my calorie bracket, I feel like it's a lot of food sometimes! Right now I'm munching on chicken sausage, steamed veggies, strawberries, sweet potato and a little piece of whole grain bread. Yum!

• Like 1

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

So, Day Two was a bit of a flop. Food was fine, but exercise was not. I put on my warm running clothes, got outside and was almost finished with my warm up walk when... the phone rang... and I had to go to work. By the time I got home it was dark, colder and I was STARVING! I figure I'll double up tomorrow. Run and do bodyweight work after. I want to stay on schedule with my workouts. I'm not on call tomorrow so I should be able to get it done.

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

I said should be able to get it done. I was still on call last night and after two hours of sleep, brrringgg! Get up, get dressed, go to work. Got home at about 5:15am and slept until 7:45am. Needless to say I'm dragging a bit this morning. I am still determined to run and work my booty off when I get home! Plus, the sun is out! I need to be better about keeping my workout journal updated apart from here. I have a food journal that I'm good about. Maybe I'll log my workouts on the back page of my food for that day. That way it's one convenient package!

• Like 2

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

So.... I haven't updated this in a while. I've been running consistently and doing my body weight work. I abandoned the assigned days, since my schedule needs to be flexible.

UPDATES!

I was pretty stoked when I upped my long run to 3 miles non stop. Yesterday I set out to run 4miles. I planned on running 3 straight, then walk/jog the last mile. I had to stop and walk a tiny bit after the first mile because of problems with my headphones/phone. Then I had to walk another little bit, maybe a minute, because I was on call and the phone rang in the third mile. Due to those little walks, I decided to push through and run the last mile without stopping..and I did it! I actually felt so good that I wanted to go another mile! I couldn't though, because I had to go home and get ready to go to work. I think I'm addicted to running now. I ran again today! Did an interval run of 1:30 slow jog and :30 sprint. I meant to do 10 rounds, but did 9 due to miscounting. Before when I would run that interval, I'd have to walk some of those slow jogs, but my stamina has really improved. I feel awesome!

• Like 1

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

Hi ValkyrieGrace and Welcome!

You are doing some great running! Yay. I love your enthusiasm with it. I feel so much the same. Smart decision on the schedule fluidity. Especially being on call. It might stint now,, but once the random times become habit, you'll do well knowing when you can get it in and be able to just go do it.

I get the eating sugar pains and desires. It's a nasty business, but you'll find a way to break through. If you haven't already, you can post a question or a desire for ideas around eating in the tavern thread or here obviously.

Also, if you click the follow button up top on the right, you'll get an alert when folks post here. You can follow other threads the same way.

Alrighty! Week 2. Let's see what you got!

Cheers

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Thanks for stopping by Terinatum!!  I've always said "I love running, I just wish I were better at it", and I'm getting better at it! I really do love it. I want to run everyday! I worry that running everyday is badfor you though. Some sites say to never run two days in a row. On the other hand, other sites say it's okay for seasoned runners to run everyday, twice a day! I'm not up to twice a day yet, for sure! I will absolutely have at least one full rest day a week though, and listen to my body if I need more rest from running. Tomorrow I plan on doing a bodyweight routine. Still feel awesome!

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

Feeling awesome, ftw!

When I first started running, I ran everyday for the most part. I wasn't sweating and burning muscle so much as getting my breathing under control and waking up my muscles from decades of disuse. LOL I think you'll be able to tell if you're doing too much. Just stay curious about how you're running: like good posture, gait, tempo, etc. and you will sense that things are off if you're not gaining in something after each run. Mind you, there are bad days, but those feel different.

Anywho. Glad you're here! Have fun.

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

There is a physical effect to sugar, my nutritionist and the Psych in our weight loss program was telling us about it.  Essentially sugar stimulates a pathway in the brain and the more we eat, the more that pathway is stimulated and craves the sugar.  This is a neuro-chemical, something or other thing that is proven with SCIENCE!  (Laughing at myself now, and no I have not tried to google and find links)

Mostly wanted to write this to say that I am the same with cookies.  If I eat one...I eat a TON...  I immediately crave a second cookie though I was not really craving them 10 minutes earlier!?

So the trick for me is to not eat the first one, because i know I will have a physical reaction to it and it will be a LOT harder to not eat a second, third, 10th....bag...infinity more!   :)

• Like 1

Finished first six challenge for 2015, granting +1 to CON.  Otherwise all 0 stats at this point.

My Introduction post, tells my weight loss journey up to the point I joined NF!

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/58160-70-there-30-to-go/

There is a physical effect to sugar, my nutritionist and the Psych in our weight loss program was telling us about it.  Essentially sugar stimulates a pathway in the brain and the more we eat, the more that pathway is stimulated and craves the sugar.  This is a neuro-chemical, something or other thing that is proven with SCIENCE!  (Laughing at myself now, and no I have not tried to google and find links)

Mostly wanted to write this to say that I am the same with cookies.  If I eat one...I eat a TON...  I immediately crave a second cookie though I was not really craving them 10 minutes earlier!?

So the trick for me is to not eat the first one, because i know I will have a physical reaction to it and it will be a LOT harder to not eat a second, third, 10th....bag...infinity more!   :)

Oh yea, you are so right about the brain. Put together the brain's natural desire for glucose and the emotional brain's need to use what's 'always' worked before to calm us down, and you have a tough habit to break. I found I had to eliminate one type of cookie at a time. Slowly chipping away my choices until I was able to go cold turkey.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Thanks for stopping by JeepN3rd!

Ugh, that is so right! When I'm craving, it's like I have a one-tack mind and start to get panic-type reactions to not getting to have it. I don't even want to tell you how much chocolate Easter candy I bought today... and how much of it is left... or not left... I think I"m going to try to trick my brain and have honey-sweetened tea whenever I have a craving, then slow ease off on on the tea to reduce sugar intake and cravings. I think my brain is chocolate covered by now!And I get so mad at myself because I've been see such huge gains in my running and bodyweight work, yet I'm bingeing on sugar/candy/chocolate. I think I'd be see so many more results (ie: weightloss, inches, etc..) if I could just break this cycle. I will do!...tomorrow...Don't judge! lol I actually asked the store clerk not too judge me as I layed my armful of candy on the counter. He said "no worries, I get it!"... He was morbidly obese...This should be a giant red flag, eye-opener for me. It is, I just have to ease into it. PLUS all this junk makes me feel terrible! *sigh*

{End rant}

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

Ugh. I know the bingeing oh so well. My MO for decades. You'll get to where you're ready. Don't rush yourself, find the smallest steps and work on those. I actually started 'outlawing' certain cookies and candy, brands not the whole field of cookies. That would have been way too much for me to handle at first.

Love yourself first and foremost. Then decide what comes next!

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

I haven't been updating very often, but I have been keeping up with workouts and tracking my eating. The scale is even moving down! I haven't been tracking the scale too closely though. Today was my long run and I ran 5 miles! Well, I ran 4 miles non-stop, then fast walked three time during the last mile. I think the first mile was the hardest! Just getting into the rhythm. I actually ran the miles a little slower than usual, probably because I was pacing myself for the 5 miles. I'll keep going with the five mile long run, working on pacing and speed. My right ankle is bothering me now, though it didn't during the run. The calves feel okay now, but were cramping a bit during the run. Better after the second and third mile. There is still cake and chocolate, but I've been working it into my calorie  allotment which means no binging. I felt a little better about my previous Easter candy binge though, once I got on the scale and saw I had lost weight! One slip up doesn't matter as much as what you do to pick yourself up afterwards. Bodyweight work tomorrow. I feel stronger and more able everyday!

• Like 1

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

Did you make it out for intervals today? I think the progress in your challenge so far is awesome. I have been having a heck of a time with sweet over the past two weeks. We have had leftover birthday cake in the house (2 parties in 2 weeks). I have told my wife I want to throw it out as I keep eating it. Her solution is to freeze it, but we all know that you can't forget something like that is in the freezer. I WILL manage to make it without eating cake today.

• Like 1

Human Ranger Level 4
STR:  2
DEX: 3
STA: 10
CON: 6
WIS: 3
CHA: 2

"I love things that seem impossible"
  The Cat Empire

I haven't run yet. I workout after work because it works best for my schedule, so it ends up being around 6pm that I exercise. It'll be tricky today, since I'm on call, which means the office phones are transferred to my cell phone when I leave. Sometimes it doesn't ring at all, sometimes it rings a bunch, and sometimes I have to go back to work. That being said, sometimes I can workout and sometimes I have to forgo, or cut it short. Usually I can make it up later or the next day, adjust my rest day accordingly. 

Freezing things is a good technique, out of sight, out of mind. However, you're right, you can't forget cake, and that has led me to eating half thawed treats, lol! I put any chocolate we buy straight into the freezer because 1. I like it like that 2. Keeps it off the counter and out of eye sight 3. We live in Texas.

You can do it though! I promise that the cake will NOT be as good as the accomplished feeling you'll have by leaving it where it is!

Thanks for stopping by!

• Like 1

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

Of course I say today i'm not going to eat cake and someone gets cup cake from the specialty shop down the street. I have spent the afternoon walking the long way around the office so I don't have to be near them. Not a bad thing though, the steps on my Garmin are through the roof for a work day. Maybe I should start talking the long way even when there are not sweets to avoid.

Human Ranger Level 4
STR:  2
DEX: 3
STA: 10
CON: 6
WIS: 3
CHA: 2

"I love things that seem impossible"
  The Cat Empire

Just finished my interval run! It was not so epic... I was pretty stiff at the start of it and did one mile to 'loosen up' and warm up. It felt like torture. Then I started sprints for :30 and slow jog for 1:30. That was better since I LOVE sprinting, but I still wasn't grooving. Then I got a phone call after 5 sprints (I go for 10 rounds.) That lasted about a minute. Started up again, did another sprint, then got another phone call! That one was only about 20 seconds. The last four sprint rounds were good but my calves we starting to hurt quite a bit and getting crampy. They feel crampy now. Mainly the pain is on the side of my calves, low, like where the muscle connects to my ankle.

Engery was low, though I didn't feel that way when I started. Should my rest day be after my long run? Does my body need that extra time between runs? I don't want to blow out or burn out!Tomorrow is supposed to be bodyweight, then rest on Thursday, I may take both days easy. Maybe some walking or something instead. See how I feel tomorrow I suppose.

• Like 1

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

Yea, I think your instinct is right. Take it easy and do some warm-ups and stretches in that area. And walking will be great too. If you want to do bodyweight that doesn't involve the calves that would work too. get some blood and energy going, just don't make it go to the calves directly. Moist heat is my hero. Just saying! lol

Feel better.

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

I don't feel overly sore, I'm just so tired! I turned off my alarm this morning and slept for an extra 15 minutes. Whoops! And.... I ate the equivalent of a whole bar of chocolate... blech. I felt sick afterward too. It was 'healthy'  chocolate. All wholesome ingredients, no soy, organic, blah blah, but it's still chocolate. I always stall my own progress. I try to keep thinking onward and upward and not beat myself up. I'll probably do some body weight stuff tonight that doesn't focus on calves specifically. They feel better when I walk and stretch them. Thanks Terinatum!

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge