ValkyrieGrace runs the neighborhood

ValkyrieGrace

I had a little set back, had a little hiccup, and a few bad days. Food wise that is. I haven't run since... Tuesday? Started with the chocolate bar mentioned above, and it went down hill from there. I saw a recipe for avocado cookies, but they didn't come out right. Not terrible, but not super delicous. Bioyfriend wouldn't touch them. I ate all 24. They were small though, about the size of a tablespoon. Then I started eating chocolate chips straight out of the bag. I ate myself sick. (I don't know why). Then I woke up at 3am sick. Miserably sick. I felt sick the whole next day. Endless loop that I know all too well. The past two days I've been focusing on eating well and not straying. I even said no to cheesecake today! It has to be a mindset change. Why is chocolate harder to give up than alcohol?! I did that no problem. Quitting smoking was even easier than this! Baby steps. Rest day today. I think the sugar overload sapped my strength. I plan on running tomorrow and starting up the routine again. Time to clean the house a bit. I even hid any chocolate I had left in the way back of the freezer so it's not in my face when I open the door!

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

I am in the same boat right now with food.

I wonder if it's harder to quit because this addiction has been minimized for so long and the addiction kills in a different way and society is still pushing sugar.

Smoking is rare in TV these days, but use to be everywhere in the 70's and before. And the laws we have made to curtail it publicly have put it in the no-no section of things to do. We have drugs in the news all the time and meth clinics and rehabs are easily accessed these days.

So unless your sales clerk gives you the stink eye for all the sugar you're buying, no one thinks twice about it. We even mention our lust for sugar even when we know it hurts us. "Oh, I wish I could still eat pie like that." It's a sad thing to not be able to eat sugary foods, according to our society. Weight programs spend millions of dollars creating a dessert you can eat!

So short story long, society is not on your side when it comes to sugar addiction. It's a tough road to stay on. I have made it for 5 months last year. But I am back to it. So, I love myself no matter how I'm behaving. And from there I gather the strength to cut my sugar intake.

I hope you find a good turning moment with sugar. I'm rooting for us!

Cheers

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

So, I love myself no matter how I'm behaving. And from there I gather the strength to cut my sugar intake.

^this is a wonderful statement! I'm trying not to go down the negative self-talk path. I just need to get back to a fitness routine and stick to it. I lost 20 pounds before by counting calories and exercise, though I'm able to workout at a higher level now. I've gained the weight back, but still fitting into the same clothes I was 20 pounds ago. Strange. I know I can do it, I just have to go back into the mind set of it. I think I like the idea of a food more than I like eating it. I get fixated and tell myself that I deserve it. I won't think poorly of it. Onward and upward.

square-quote-4-export.png

• Like 2

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

You should consider doing body measurements as well as the scale. It's easier ti track what body parts are changing. Remember muscle weighs more than fat.

Good Luck this weekend.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Very true and wise advice! I'll probably do measurements when I wake up tomorrow. I haven't taken measurements in a few months. Today I went running and I timed my first mile. I ran in it 8:05!! Holy moly! Then I started interval running and I tired very quickly and ended up doing 8 rounds instead of 10 and fast walked the slow intervals after 4 rounds. Today was the first time I ran this spring where the temperature was over 75*F. Maybe that had something to do with it. I may run next time with a small bottle of water, just to wet mouth, since I was getting pretty parched. I drank a liter and a half  during the morning before the run, but apparently it wasn't enough! Tomorrow is bodyweight work. Let's how I feel tomorow!

• Like 1

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

For the past few days, since I ate myself sick on junk, I've been feeling extremely tired. The kind of tired where your legs and feet feel like they are made of lead and weigh 3x what they normally weigh. I could put my head down on my desk and fall asleep at any moment. Saturday and Sunday I slept for at least 9 hours each night. I thought maybe running or exercise would help push whatever ick I have out of my system, but I just don't have the drive! I've been eating clean the past few days, but I keep getting stomach pain and bloating. Is the crap just working it's way out of my system? Probably. I may try to run today, but I also may not. Ever since lunch I've had terrible shooting pains in my stomach. I feel like I'm whining and maybe I am. I'm not going to push myself too hard though, but I do feel guilty that I've taken 3 rest day. Blergh...

• Like 1

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

I was not feeling the run yesterday. It was raining and already dark by the time I got home and my motivation was zilch. I decided to do some yoga because that thought didn't overwhelm me. Once I got my workout clothes on, I was feeling pretty good, so I decided to do some body weight stuff. I practiced deep (deep!) squats, no weight dead lifts, push ups, bent over rows (no weight) and push ups. I'll slowly, slowly add weight do a few of those moves once a week. I didn't want to go all gung-go and blow my back out! Maybe run today, but it's still icky out. I'll go so long as it isn't dark and isn't pouring buckets!

• Like 1

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

Glad you chose the yoga. Getting 'to' the place of exercise - in this case, in your workout clothes - is the true battle. You took time off, you observed your symptoms - maybe wrote them down as well - and the next time you're feeling crappy, you'll have a guideline to follow to heal faster.

BW exercises, ftw!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Total derailment. I fall into a vicious cycle everytime.  I get very enthusiastic and eager, change all the things at once, then burn out. I push myself too hard and they hit a wall. It starts out fun then starts to feel oppressive. This weekend I ate chocolate chips and got sick (again! What is wrong with me! It happens everytime!) Then Sunday I indulged since I knew I was going to start eating well again on Monday. It was chocolate cake, cheesecake and cupcakes. Erghhh, I hate it even when I'm eating it. Ridiculous, right?! Now my stomach is killing me. I'm so uncomfortable. I'm not sure if it's from all the cake and sugar, or if it's because I have lady parts or both. I'm thinking both and I'm miserable. I haven't wanted to eat breakfast, just had some bone broth and bulletproof coffee. I still don't want to eat but I'm going to try the eggs I packed for my breakfast. With something in my stomach I can take some ibuprofen. I'll just take it easy the rest of the day, maybe walk later. I walked this morning and it felt awesome!

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

Derailments suck. I just finished one and today is the first day and my body is seriously dragging. Even working out this morning was low-key and I was actually grumbling.

Sugar monster symptoms and reactions can be really reality flipping. It's an addiction for a lot of us and reason rarely comes into it. It's like some hard to obtain thought that compulses us to get it however and as soon as we can. It's a hard monster to reason with and I find it unfortunately so easy to give up the fight even though I know I'll fight the fight again.

Take it easy on the body, although it sounds like you already have. Glad the walk felt great. Drink lots of water and sleep as much as you can tonight. It will make a huge difference.

Just remember, it's NOT a total derailment, it's a temporary one.

Hugs

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

deep breaths. just head over to the respawn room and let's get after this again. We are only keeping up with ourselves from yesterday. I bet you can HAMMER it today!!!

Have a great one. we got your back.

• Like 1

Human Ranger Level 4
STR:  2
DEX: 3
STA: 10
CON: 6
WIS: 3
CHA: 2

"I love things that seem impossible"
  The Cat Empire

Just remember, it's NOT a total derailment, it's a temporary one.

Hugs

*hugs!* thanks for the support!! 

deep breaths. just head over to the respawn room and let's get after this again. We are only keeping up with ourselves from yesterday. I bet you can HAMMER it today!!!

Have a great one. we got your back.

This is why I love NF! It's such a great community. You both make me feel like we're battling together and I'm not just on my own floating in a sea of confusion and self-doubt. I feel so special, what a confidence boost!

I love my NF fitfam! You guys rock!

• Like 2

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

haha

We are here together. It's strange at first, but you can depend on it. It's solid.

I am really happy that you're here. Your honesty and courage are great inspirations to us.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Now go kick some ass, yeah!?

22nd level Wanderer

The Way