the Odin Spire vs a New Schedule

theodinspire

So, I stumbled in the last challenge; I aimed too high and faced (minor) injury and didn't complete any of my fitness goals. However, I did complete a life goal: I got an entry-level IT position. Over the last challenge, I was unemployed and therefore actually had gobs of time with which to go to the gym and my sword play studio. Now, however, since I am working full time (on top of a single class of graduate school), I have considerably less time. Therefore, I must use the time I have better, which is what two of the three of my goals for this challenge are. Included in the new job comes with better mood, as I really like this job and I feel that my life is finally going somewhere, which have been major contributors to my poor mental health over the past year.

I've decided to take three different aspects of my physical self for my goals: Fitness, Health, Art. Thus:

1. Develop habits of going to work out:

My current schedule is a little crazy, and it's only going to get crazier. For work (in River North, if you know anything about Chicago) MW is 10–18 and TTW, 8.30–16.30. And then I have class Tuesday from 18:00 to 21:15 in Lincoln Park, at least for the first four weeks of the challenge. Week five is spring break and then on week six, I'll have class in the Loop, Mondays and Tuesdays from 17:45 to 21:00 (Office hours may have to change then too). Otherwise, sword (and grappling) classes are offered Monday, 19:30–20:30; Wednesday, 19:30–22:00 and Saturday, 11–13.

I also am hoping to get to the gym Mondays and Wednesdays before I have to be in at the office, since I have a little extra time there.

So, now for the goal: Work out several times a week (up to five):

S Work out a total of 30 times (five times a week)

A Work out at least 26 times

Work out at least 22 times

Work out at least 18 times (three times a week)

100%
100%

2. Practice better sleep hygiene:

Staying up too late and not having a regular sleep schedule is probably one of the contributors to the weakness in my mental health and the irregularity of my exercise schedule. So, I need to work at having screens off around 21:30 and to be in bed by 22:30. Doing so should give my sleep better regularity, which means that I should sleep more and better and therefore be able to manage my time better.

My biggest enemies to this are my graduate school courses in the evening and those late Wednesday Armizare Foundations. Hopefully, if I get the rest of the week in line, those will follow. (I know I'm thwarting this tonight by staying up late to make this post, but the challenge doesn't start until tomorrow, so technicality.)

S Screens off at 21:30 and in bed by 22:30 a total of 30 times

Screens off at 21:30 and in bed by 22:30 at least 26 times

Screens off at 21:30 and in bed by 22:30 at least 22 times

Screens off at 21:30 and in bed by 22:30 at least 18 times

11.11%
11.11%

3. Develop better sparring confidence:

Every first Friday, the Chicago Sword Play Guild has their fight night. I've participated with one match each of the previous two. However, all the skills that I practice in class fall out of my head as soon as I don the gambizon. I tense up and have a harder time reacting. So I need learn how to relax and how to keep a hold on at least the basics.

My biggest foes here are internal, both directly and indirectly, and probably both stem from my ADHD. Firstly, I've never had good twitch skills: I am terrible at FPS type games as the number of things I have to maintain awareness of usually is overwhelming and then my instincts are horrid. Being tense also makes one jumpy, and the flow and grace that gives one control is lost.Secondly, I am on an amphetamine derived stimulant as a treatment for my ADHD; one of the side effects is a reduced reaction time, which is essential for combat. My dosage of this drug when up just before the last fight night and I think that it may have adversely effected my performance. Hopefully I will get used to this dosage and be able to perform better at the following fight nights. Also, if I get my sleep hygiene in check, I should be able to spar with greater skill.

Pass: Fight in two spars at the April Fight Night, one against an instructor, and once against one of my novice peers. In the peer fight, win at least three exchanges.

PASSED

I still don't have a grasp on the ability points. If anyone wants to recommend some distributions, please go ahead.

I also may need a lot of cheering, especially as the busyness increases, to keep me here and to keep me on track.

Level 5 Monk (Broadsword Focus), Level 1 Assassin

Battle Log | Fitness Tumblr

Challenges: Currens | Octavus | Septimum | Sextum | Quintum | Quartum | TertiumSecundum | Primum

Quick run down. I know screens are supposed to be off, but if there's one thing I put above my fitness, it's Agent Fucking Carter.

I couldn't make it to the gym today, so I did the first day of the Hero workout that I saw another post here in the guild. I also went to sword fighting tonight. There, I asked the dean what I should do regarding my skills fall apart during free play. Kindly, he told me that this is completely normal for my level (only four months into this). He also said that the best way to work on it by myself is to visualize what others can do from their guards. So, I have that to work on for the rest of this challenge.

• Like 1

Challenges: Currens | Octavus | Septimum | Sextum | Quintum | Quartum | TertiumSecundum | Primum

All training falls apart upon first contact with a resistant opponent. Hence you learn to comport yourself in a fluid range of things, as opposed to committing to any one thing.

It's annoying as hell, and you feel like you're not going anywhere, but I promise you are. Keep going.

• Like 2
I also may need a lot of cheering, especially as the busyness increases, to keep me here and to keep me on track.

The fact you're going to be attempting all of this and doing some grad student work is pretty damned impressive!  I seriously don't miss my grad school days.  Looks like a solid challenge!

I still don't have a grasp on the ability points. If anyone wants to recommend some distributions, please go ahead.

Hmmm.  Lets see...

The first goal since it's working out could be Strength and Stamina (getting stronger and more efficient/less worn out).  The second goal would be Wisdom (understanding how your body works and its needs).  The last is trickier, but could be Dexerity (gaining fluidity in movement), Charisma (because looking good while playing with swords is always charismatic), or even Stamina (increasing endurance to get better at sparring).

Hope that helps! :)

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Okay, Wednesday was good, I made it to two work outs: I went to the gym in the morning and then to dagger and sword class in the evening. I even made it to 10 without being exhausted. I'm doing well enough at sleep, though not making my bed time goals, as my nights are kinda late.

My schedule changes next week, so I need to be into the office by 8:15, so, we'll see how that shakes things up.

• Like 1

Thanks for asking.

I'm doing rather well in general, though things are up in the air. The lateness of my classes both collegiate and spathary and the earliness of my work schedule is making it difficult to get to the gym as often as I'd like. I suppose I could go Thursday and Friday after work, but then it'll be full of both 9-5'ers and youths.

Sleep is also being a little more difficult, again with the lateness of things, as well as my social life and the health of our other cat. We were hoping to go a month without having to see the vet, but she caught a stomach bug and is in cat hospital.

As for sparring, I've discovered what I'm doing wrong: not parrying. It's rather difficult to cover the line and strike form a low guard, but I keep neglecting to deflect my opponent's sword away before performing the reposta. So now I have something to practice in my little free time.

Poor cat.

Also, you're gonna find as you go that no matter what you do, it's gonna be contaminated with 9-5'ers and youth. One way or the other, that's gonna happen. Might as well get used to it now, especially if doing so allows you to train better.

Keep going, man, you can do it.

I am actually almost there with my third goal! I fought in three bouts tonight! I couldn't say I that I won three exchanges with my peers, but I did manage to get a couple good hits on the instructor.

One of my peers doesn't have technique; he just rushes in like a bull. In our final exchange, we wound up really close in the bind, an instinct kicked in: I kneed him in the groin—he did have padding luckily—and locked his head in my arms. That was fun.

As for my other peer, my best exchange was when I just waited for his attack and just parried it well and landed a good reposta.

The instructor says I need to stop telegraphing and to watch my measure. So I have things to work on for the next fight night. It also turns out that there is an extra gift night as the guild's "family gathering" is in two weeks, and there's a fight night there. So an extra chance to practice free form.

• Like 1

Good news: I've passed two of my challenges!

For the first challenge, I've been going after work when I have time, which is getting me ahead. Also, this past weekend, there was the Chicago Swordplay Guild Family Gathering, which was a three day seminar on fighting in and out of armor with spears, longswords, arming swords, daggers and hands. Quite fun, quite rigorous. My shoulders don't want to move my arms upward at all. I still have four more days that I can work out this week, so I should be able to land a B

As for the third, the gathering included a fight night on Friday and we were given some opportunity for sparring yesterday afternoon. I fought five times on Friday, and once yesterday—this number is only not two because everyone was exhausted and no one else was available to fight me. Needless to say, I am over my fear of combat. My bout yesterday was quite excellent; I managed to get some really good hits in. I appear to do better against those who have more experience in the ring, probably because I am able to see what they are doing, whereas with greener combatants, the motions they make aren't as controlled and harder to read.

While I whiffed on the straight terms of the second challenge, I have been better about a regular sleep schedule, even if it is later than what is ideal.