tinkerer builds a bridge over injury

tinkerer

This challenge will hopefully take some of the success from my last challenge and build/improve upon parts of them. I limped away last time injured, sick, and overwhelmed at work. I'm slowing recovering from the injury, mostly over being sick, and things at work are settling into a dull roar (which is fun).

I tore my hamstring slightly trying to accomplish a heel-hook rock climbing in the last challenge. Normally, I'd have a climbing goal and a running goal or some other aerobic workout but that doesn't seem to be in the cards right now. So it's time to get creative.

Strength Training Goal: Increase reps by 30%

Based on my regular set of (mostly) bodyweight exercises, I want to increase my reps by 30% on average. Below are my most recent numbers of reps. It seems weird to see so many nines. The calculation will average all of the individual exercise's increases (if pullups go to 10, (3*10)/(3*7)=142%). I'll accomplish this by strength training 2-3 times per week. This frequency will decrease if I can go climbing so I'll have to make that into a strength workout or figure out another path.

Starting Reps

Pullups - 3x7

Inverted Rows - 3x9

Rings Pushups - 3x9

Dips - 3x9

Overhead Dumbbell Press (10 lbs) - 3x20

Grading

30% - 4 Str

25% - 3 Str

20% - 2 Str

15% - 1 Str

Core Training Goal: Focus

For both fitness and appearance reasons, I'd like to develop my core muscles. For the past two challenges I've included a half-hearted core workout. This go around I want to step that up a little. I'll do this workout twice per week for a total of 12 workouts. I get one "miss" allowed. I may or may not do a before/after pic for this one.

The Core Workout

1 min plank

1 min right side plank

1 min plank

1 min left side plank

1 min plank

3x15 second L-Sit on Rings

3x10 Crow Pushups Knee to Same Elbow

3x10 Crow Pushups Knee to Opposite Elbow

3x15 Pushups

Grading

11 Workouts - 2 Cha, 2 Sta

9 Workouts - 1 Cha, 2 Sta

7 Workouts - 1 Cha, 1 Sta

Eating Goal: Avoid Cracker Equivalents

I love salty crunchy food. It's the best. But crackers and their kin are essentially worthless for me. I heard the phrase "cracker equivalent" regarding hiking food and love it, so I'm using it. I have a fairly high metabolism and get grouchy and dumb when hungry. But if I eat cracker equivalents, I just need more fuel and seek another snack. In order for the results of Goal 2 to show up, I'll avoid cracker equivalents at work and after work. Dessert crunchy food is allowed because it's historically better moderated and because, hey, I don't want to hate life completely.

Grading

Based on workdays

90% or better cracker avoidance - 3 Con

80% or better - 1 Con

80% or less - Nothing

Life Goal: Dating My Wife

My wife has been kind enough to support me in assisting to teach a mountaineering school this spring. We are both really busy and it's a big deal that I'll be gone a lot. She deserves something in return so this goal is to go on 4 dates over the challenge. That is more than we have been on in a long time (we do a lot together, but not really dates).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. We do tons of outdoor, physical things (like rock climbing) together. I'm looking for ideas of a more "typical" or "romantic" nature.

Grading

4 Dates - 4 Cha

3 Dates - 3 Cha

2 Dates - 2 Cha

1 Date - 1 Cha

• Like 1

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

I'm thinking of doing the tracking thing differently. Instead of posting each workout in the challenge I made a fancy spreadsheet. Feel free to check it out!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZeqiCK_IdYjBGleMwDsd3XLnTh36R091T8nMqIUJMzE/edit?usp=sharing

tinkerer

I asked my wife on a date. :) I figured that part of the fun of dating is the unexpected and new element of it. So while I was driving home from a meeting I called her and asked if she wanted to see a movie next week. Just trying to keep things fun...I think that she got a kick out of it. Afterward, we'll check out a 2nd birthday party for our favorite local watering hole. Should be a good time.

so is ridiculous blasting of your abs in the morning a good thing?

kidding aside, I love when I start my day off with exercise. My work days start early, and i'm just not willing to get up an earlier, but on weekends I love it.  sets the day off well.

I start work at 7:00. To accomplish a workout I get up at 5:00. It's on the edge of too early and I avoid it whenever possible. Starting off with exercise is great though and much more likely to result in me actually exercising.

• Like 1

tinkerer

It's always a great feeling to get on the wall and be able to do something, especially after being injured.

Date night sounds fun! We just saw Focus which we both really liked! (We are suckers for any kinda mastermind movie though)

Somedays I wish I could work out before work, but I get to work at 6 so that's not happening. I'm glad they are working out for you!

Level 3 Zoo Lion Assassin

Current Challenge

Past: 1 2   

Purpose, it's that little flame that lights a fire under your a$$ - Princeton, Avenue Q

To Rivendell!

10.5%
10.5%

I'm actually searching for date ideas...so any suggestions would be appreciated. It's odd to me that after 5 years of being together we've stopped dating. In some ways I'm not sure what would even be a fun date now. A lot of the things I used to do "dating" are now just part of the things we do regularly. I'm probably over-complicating it by trying to make the dates into "SUPER-Dates".

Here are my two current ideas:

1) Go for a weekend morning walk to get some coffee and check out a park

2) Go to a "Science on Tap" night, which she has been saying for a long time that she'd like to do. (I'm pretty sure this one is a winner). The night is March 17th.

tinkerer

What is science on tap?

It's the combination of happy hour and a lecture. The concept is that there is a social setting with adult beverages followed by a lecture on some interesting topic. The tagline for this one is "Knowledge, Served Ice Cold". The topic for the month is related to climate change, food, and long range planning for society. We (my wife and I) discuss that sort of thing a lot so I think it will be interesting.

I've been running on less and less sleep all week until today where getting up for a workout wasn't an option. But prior to that, some good things have occurred:

• Workout on Wednesday with some progress on individual exercises. Spreadsheet
  • Two core workouts Tuesday and Thursday.
  • 1 date last night. It was pretty fun, we went for drinks and appetizers. Then back home to grill some pork chops for dinner. Then off to watch Kingsmen which I would give 3 out of 5 stars for movie quality. The date itself was a really good time. I think this goal is my new favorite.

tinkerer