tinkerer builds a bridge over injury

tinkerer

It's always a great feeling to get on the wall and be able to do something, especially after being injured.

Date night sounds fun! We just saw Focus which we both really liked! (We are suckers for any kinda mastermind movie though)

Somedays I wish I could work out before work, but I get to work at 6 so that's not happening. I'm glad they are working out for you!

Ahhh! Missed your post earlier. I just watched the trailer for Focus and that does look pretty good. We both enjoy heist movies too. I'm not sure why, criminals suck in real life so why are they fun in the movies?

Working out in the morning is really more necessity than anything. Postponing until after work means much lower actual chance of me doing it. I'm lucky enough now to be able to move my schedule around a little so I only have to be to work by 7:00 two days a week.

Good deal dood.

Improvements from week 1 to week 2, that's awesome!

Science on tap sounds very cool.  Can I come along with ;)

Sorry man, three's a crowd. :) Double dates are OK though, just have to talk your wife into a road trip.

• Like 1

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

It's not exactly part of my challenge but I had a great weekend. We were able to demolish a huge juniper bush that had overgrown one corner of our property. I suspect it was about 15' by 15'. I was able to weild a chainsaw with less than the usual required precision and had some fun with that.

Sunday my wife and I went rock climbing outside due to the fantastic weather. I was able to lead a 5.10a that I'd done before after taking the winter "off" from outdoor climbing. That felt great. My leg is feeling OK too!

Took this morning off from workouts to get a little extra sleep after the busy weekend. Back to it tomorrow morning!

• Like 1

tinkerer

Back to working out in the mornings! I don't have time to get in all of the exercises I'm working on each morning so my approach has been to pick the one with the least improvement to focus on first. So far, improvement ranges from 11% on dips to 22% on rings pushups. I think that I like measuring this way as it is helping me to focus on results and less on X number of workouts/week which doesn't always fit in with yard/chainsaw/rock climbing.

My spreadsheet.

tinkerer

I have my challenge laid out mor like yours, working towards improvements or completion of things is nice instead of getting in a workout to just check off a box.

I'm glad you weekend was a hit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Level 3 Zoo Lion Assassin

Current Challenge

Past: 1 2   

Purpose, it's that little flame that lights a fire under your a$$ - Princeton, Avenue Q

To Rivendell!

10.5%
10.5%

I have my challenge laid out more like yours, working towards improvements or completion of things is nice instead of getting in a workout to just check off a box.

I suppose the key is seeing whether I actually accomplish the gains that are hoped for! I have been more regular in accomplishing the core workouts, which are just a "check the box". I suppose that's the point of this - to see what actually produces results.

On an unrelated note, I started reading Training for the New Alpinism and it's already talking about running. Arrrggh! I can't run! I tried yesterday to go with my wife and only made it 100 yards before starting to limp...at least I had the foresight to head home prior to aggravating the hamstring. I've never been injured like this and it's driving me crazy!

• Like 1

tinkerer

Went climbing with my wife and sister yesterday. We had a good time, just messing around and getting back into outdoor climbing for the summer.

This week I didn't get a lot of working out accomplished but this morning I did a combination core/strength workout. I felt pretty good and accomplished by first 30% gain goal with rings pushups!

Avoiding crackers is going well. I'm still having something as a snack but choosing something a lot more worthwhile. I'm not sure about results but at least it is a conscious choice. Here's a pic of my spreadsheet. Glad to see the first :) for a sub-goal accomplished!

Clipboard01_zpsl6jrdc4t.gif

tinkerer

Science on Tap on St. Patrick's day is just a recipe for good things! Dooo it.

Outdoor climbing? You must be farther south than me! /jealous

I think that I like measuring this way as it is helping me to focus on results and less on X number of workouts/week which doesn't always fit in with yard/chainsaw/rock climbing.

My sleep goal is a check the box every day thing, and I'm not really thrilled with the set up. Hopefully you meet your goals and can declare that this way of measuring results did in fact work for you!

Level 3 Human Jedi Apprentice / Assassin

{ running, rock climbing, frisbee }

Weeeeell, sometimes you lose. I took my wife for coffee yesterday (as a date) and we wound up "debating" finances and house projects and life for the rest of the day. I don't mean debating as in "an engaged a pleasant discussion". I guess I still get to count it as a date.

Tomorrow is the Science on Tap event. I think that will make up for the "coffee incident".

• Like 1

tinkerer

Hopefully the Science on Tap event goes well! I think we have something like that around here too, I should look into it. We have boardgames at the tap house this weekend instead.

Pub board games are awesome too!

I am interested in hearing about the science on tap, gimme the scoop later on please.

The Science on Tap event was pretty successful! It is put on by the local branch of the state university and they bring in researchers to present on their work. This topic was supposed to be related to how food producers can adapt their production methods to remain successful in a changing climate. The paper being presenting was predicting local climate changes and the resulting cropping modifications that would be required. It also had a sociology perspective in polling various stakeholders (such as farmers) about their perceived risk and ability to mitigate climate change. The audience seemed to think it was a "global warming q&a" though and didn't ask the best questions relative to the topic at hand (i.e. chemtrails).

Nonetheless, it sparked a pretty interesting conversation between my wife and I as we walked home. (Also, we would have felt pretty guilty driving after the climate change discussion :))

Apparently, Science on Tap is a nationwide thing so there may be one closer than you think. If there isn't, I think all you would have to do is contact a local pub and a local university and see if they liked the idea. In our case, the university sponsored some light snacks and beers were a few dollars from a local brewer.

• Like 1

tinkerer

Outdoor climbing? You must be farther south than me! /jealous

I think the key for this year is to be further west! The rock is still pretty cold - we were discussing "self warming chalk" as something that would be a great invention. I'm supposed to be camping this weekend so I hope it's not too soggy!

tinkerer

It sounds like science on tap was a success!

On the note of self warming chalk, our gym had a chalk that was supposed to be 'warming' last winter. I don't remember what it was called but it smelled spicy, they also had a cooling one for the summer that was minty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Level 3 Zoo Lion Assassin

Current Challenge

Past: 1 2   

Purpose, it's that little flame that lights a fire under your a$$ - Princeton, Avenue Q

To Rivendell!

10.5%
10.5%

Have fun camping!  If I was to try that at the moment, it would be a hot, swampy, buggy mess.

Glad the date went well.  Number 3?

Camping included: rain, graupel, snow, wind, sub-freezing temps, thunder/lightning, and some great sunshine. It was great! I helped to teach about 45 students how to build anchors into the snow to attach ropes and stay safe. We also covered how to walk in crampons, use ice axes, and other fun stuff. It was a great weekend.

That was date number 3. I told my wife about the challenge goal and I think she was half amused and half annoyed.

On the note of self warming chalk, our gym had a chalk that was supposed to be 'warming' last winter. I don't remember what it was called but it smelled spicy, they also had a cooling one for the summer that was minty.

I wonder how you would go about finding that. Perhaps I'll go google "warming, spicy, hand chalk" and see what happens. Maybe I won't do that from my work computer at lunch though.

• Like 1

tinkerer

My summary as of the end of Week 4:

On track with the dates! I need to come up with another fun thing for us to do in the next couple weeks. Finding time this week could be a little tricky but next weekend or the following week would work. Any ideas for a cheap, fun, semi-romantical date?

Crackers are no match for me! It turns out I just need to commit to eating something more healthy and substantial and that works out pretty well. We have had a bag of chips on the counter for over a week - previously unheard of.

Core workouts are going well! I need to average 2 per week for the next two weeks to hit my goal. This is definitely doable but I will need to make it a priority.

Almost there with strength improvements. I've accomplished 127% of my initial bodyweight volumes. I think the last 3% is attainable over this next two weeks. I feel like some of my initial gains came more easily. Will see what happens here but I'm excited to see the numbers. I was not feeling great about the individual improvements until I did the math. Glad that I made the spreadsheet.

• Like 1

tinkerer

I wonder how you would go about finding that. Perhaps I'll go google "warming, spicy, hand chalk" and see what happens. Maybe I won't do that from my work computer at lunch though.

I was thinking about combining the ingredients for those chemical hand warmers with chalk, but that's actually a terrible idea.

On track with the dates! I need to come up with another fun thing for us to do in the next couple weeks. Finding time this week could be a little tricky but next weekend or the following week would work. Any ideas for a cheap, fun, semi-romantical date?

Ice skating followed by warm beverages? :P

And nicely done on the other goals.

Level 3 Human Jedi Apprentice / Assassin

{ running, rock climbing, frisbee }

I was thinking about combining the ingredients for those chemical hand warmers with chalk, but that's actually a terrible idea.

Ice skating followed by warm beverages? :tongue:

I imagine it's been tried. I doubt it's been repeated!

That's a great suggestion! I'd be on board but with my hamstring issue I think the balance requirements (catching my balance right now is actually very painful) and fall potential probably rule that option out. There is a boardwalk we might be able to walk on by the lake with drinks after though...that might work!

Here is the chalk we had at the gym

Did it actually warm your hands up or just smell warm? I can't tell from the website.

spicy chalk sounds interesting.

No scratching your um parts after.  Or rubbing your eyes lol.

The Joshua tree stuff is usually pretty good,  at least the sun screen and lip balm.

Sounds like the makings of a high school prank.

tinkerer

Update: this week has not been amazing for challenge goals but it's still been solid progress:

Tuesday: Core work and climbing. Climbed some 5.10s including at least one 5.10d. Leg felt pretty good but untrustworthy. I'm looking into PT for it.
Wednesday: Strength training. I am to 128.9% volume increase overall. So close! I think I can make it by the end of next week.
Thursday: Hike, about 4 miles maybe up a local small mountain.
Friday: Core workout.

From the hike (not great quality)
IMAG0432_zpsk9misgut.jpg

• Like 1

tinkerer