Forget Skinny. I'm training to become a badass.

Tatzumi

Heyo, My name is Tatzumi, but you can just call me Tatz. I'm a freshman college student and I've been making use of my schools gym over the past two months. I've consistently done weight lifting since winter break and I'm ready to step it up a notch.

Growing up, I remember always being overweight and once I got into gaming my fitness level dropped considerably since I was no longer entertaining myself by running and climbing rocks and trees with my neighborhood friends. Other factors in my childhood led to me having an unhealthy relationship with food and I still struggle a lot with it. A lot of emotional eating and all that jazz

When I started two months ago I was 215lbs and when I measured last month I was 205 so I'm making progress. I have no doubt that this program is going to stick with me, because I absolutely love weight lifting. You know how Stacy said had love at first sight with the barbell? Pretty much the same with my and Stacy is a big inspiration for me.

Main Quest: Become a Badass

My long term goal is to be able to bench, squat, deadlift (almost already there), etc the equivalent of my Dad's weight with ease (220lbs), have between 13%-20% body fat percentage, eat entirely paleo, and be fit enough to start competing with weight-lighting and running. A side effect of this is becoming toned and dropping weight. It's a long ways off I know, but I'm enjoying the small steps getting there.

Quest #1 Run to Mordor

Run three times a week and by April be able to run 5k without stopping. I'm currently a week into the Zombies! Run 5k app so I'll continue with that.

Quest #2 Eat Through My Inner Demons

Eat 80% Paleo and track what I eat. Also minimal snacking with three meals a day and very little extra intake. Carbs only on days I've lifted weights and strictly paleo other days. I have gluten and dairy allergies so I'm most of the way there but I've struggled with consistently recording and limiting my food intake.

Quest #3 Record Keeping

Record my workouts. How much did I lift for how many reps? When did it get hard? That way I can actually track my progress in terms of how much my body is doing. So taking a notebook to the gym with me.

Life Side Quest: Procrastination Vacation

Try and complete my homework and assignments for school two nights before they are due, not the night before. I'm adding this one so that I can start trying to kick my procrastination bug. Since I'm an engineering student I'd have a lot more time if I stopped putting off my work for a "better" time.

Grade Scale

3/3 main quests is an A with the side quest being kinda like extra credit. I'm allowing two slip ups for each quest but after that each slip up is 1% off. At the end I'll calculate a GPA type thing for each quest and based on how I do I'm going to set different awards.

3.5< I will get a massage at the campus Rec and a new ear piercing. And,depending on weight loss, new workout clothes.

3.5-3.0 I can get a new ear piercing

3.0> I'll figure something for this later. Completing a challenge is fun enough.

• Like 4

"There is no place more awake and alive as the edge of becoming."

"Screw your lab safety! I want super powers!"

Forget skinny, I'm training to become a BADASS

you're doing fantastically so far.  Keep going.

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Rangers' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

I love your attitude. Being an absolute badass is my goal, too. Good luck! :)

Ranger/Assassin Level 2

Strength: 4 | Dexterity: 1 | Stamina: 3 | Constitution: Wisdom: Charisma: 1

Paleo | Body weight workout | Weighlifting

Intro | Previous 6 Weeks Challenge | Current 6 Weeks Challenge

Starting weight: 180lbs

Current weight: 156.5lbs

Goal: +/- 140 lbs

There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

This is such a great attitude! Your thread topic caught my eye and I kinda just went "huh?" That's a really great way of thinking and I'm definitely borrowing it. Why half-ass it? (:

• Like 1

Dwarf Level 0 | Adventurer-dreaming-of-being-an-Assassin

Year Goal: Lose 40 lbs | Long-term Goal: Become a Freerunner

Overall Goal:

0%
0%

6 Week Challenge:

25.6%
25.6%

Thank you all for the support  :redface-new: Let's become badasses together! I'm really big on the "appearance is a consequence of fitness" idea because it takes my mind away from the number on the scale and puts it onto, how can I do this lift better? How can I lift more?

Would anyone be interested in forming a "raid group" for this challenge? I'm new to the forums so I'd like to talk to some new people.

• Like 1

looks awesome, following along cause I want to see this transformation!

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Gah, double post! Uhm...nothing to see here! *shuffles away quickly* 

You'll see a lot of random .gifs and cat pictures when there are double posts! not that you have to but it's a fun way to change an accidental doubl post

You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Rangers' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. 

Welcome to NF!!!!! Looking forward to seeing your transformation, and hope to see you come say hi in rangers at some point. You'll have plenty of time by the end of challenge to check out all the guilds, and just because you choose one at the end of this challenge/start of the next doesn't mean you cant change. 

Awesome quests!  I love the Zombie Run app.  I did the 5k trainer last year and I'm getting back into it again this year.  Really does make the time fly!!

I'm thinking about trying the zombie run app. I've enjoyed the run double couch to 5 k app, but I think the zombies would be more fun

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

Hey, it was great to see you in chat today!  It's always nice to meet a fellow initiate into the Cult of the Barbell.   :D  I'm curious to know how you plan on keeping track of your food intake.  Are you writing it down or using a website or app like MyFitnessPal or LoseIt?

It was nice to talk to everyone. It was a very welcoming community. As of right now I just have a notebook I'm going to essentially take everywhere. I then plan on posting to a progress thread. So posting and having people expecting of it will definitely be a motivation.

Thanks pwallace for the vote of confidence. Do I post updates here or do I make a separate thread for progress?

And muddydancer, thanks for the welcome. I definitely think I will join the rangers by the end of this challenge. I like the hybrid aspect of the class/guild.

Food log for 23/2/15

Cup of Early Grey with soy milk 20 cal

3 egg omlette with bacon, bell pepper, chicken, spinach, and salsa approx 450 cal

3 sausage links 110 cal

12 oz of pulled pork 400 cal

1/2 cup of bbq beans (strike 1) 150 cal

Cliff bar 240

5 rice crackers 80

fruit leather 78 cal

Alo veggie drink - 120 cal

Total Caloric Intake - 1,648

Feeling pretty good for my first day. I slipped up a little with food, but I think I just have to keep pushing until the sugar cravings stop. I don't work out on monday's because I have an 8am class, but tomorrow I'll have a weight workout to set as a bench mark. I'm also going to work on a bunch of homework today so I can make up the two strikes for food. I hope y'all's first day of the challenge went well.

Adjusting diets, especially when cutting back/cutting out things takes a little time. I started my diet changes up again a few days ago and it took about 3-4 days for me to get fully into the swing of things and not going over on anything. Don't push yourself too hard for slipping up! The sugar cravings will pass eventually, just do your best to eat healthy alternatives or avoid it all together. I read a book once that explained sugar is more addictive than cocaine. So if you slip up a little, well, it's not entirely your fault. Once your body detoxes, you'll find it much much easier to avoid!

Good luck making it through those cravings. My hardest thing the first time was cutting out random carbs. Every night I found myself giving in and eating a roll or something. Nothing on it, not a sandwich or even butter. Just the roll. >> It takes time.

Overall Goal:

0%
0%

6 Week Challenge:

25.6%
25.6%

Thanks for reminding me not to be too hard on myself breebles. It was exactly what I needed to hear.

Food and Workout Log for 24th Feb. 2015

Weights 

Bench Press @ 85lbs 5 circuits 7,7,7,6,6

Barbell Squat @ 95lbs 5 circuts 10,15,15,12,15

Overhead Press @ 45lbs 10,6,5

Leg Press @ 300lbs 10,8,10

Inverted Row @ 30 degrees 10,10

Plank 45sec,45sec

Side Plank (both sides) 15sec,15sec

Pushups 10,5

Thoughts: In terms of my squats I feel like I could do more weight easily, but I pushed myself and had lower back pain so I'm taking a bit easy. One thing I did gain from that is that I could easily squat more than 135lbs. I want to work on my side plank because thats pretty hard for me as well as doing more inverted rows to build up to a pull up.

Food

Earl Grey with Soy

2 shrimp sushi

2 chicken teriakyi sushi

1 yam

1 cup of chili with beans

watermelon 2oz

beats

1/4 cup zuccini

1/4 cup shredded carrots

1/2 cup chicken

1 cup spinach

1/2 cup cuccumber

2 cliff bars strike

Peeps (marshmellows :neglected: ) Strike

Burger patty with egg

-2% for today. I can't really justify the peeps even though they were given as a gift. I had a lot of veggies today so that was good but I need to figure out when to eat so I don't get hungry throughout the day

Food Log for 25th Feb. 2014

Egg scramble -bacon, peppers, hashbrowns

10oz of cake

tamale

chips and salse

I learned today that I shouldn't bake even for other people when trying to get rid of my sugar addiction. I had a super busy day and I sped walked around 10-12 miles today. I need to make sure I get enough food because I was exhausted at the end of the day. Lack of food also hurt my next workout and I wasn't able to do as much.

Hey all. It's my second day of missing running so I was wondering if anyone had any advice to motivate me to get up and go. I think a big part is when my roommate is here I don't get to bed on time, but even past that I'd still like to go. Surprisingly I've been liking using the zombie app, but again I missed two days. I'm going to run Saturday and Sunday so I'll only miss one run this week. Any advice?

When I have a workout day, I try to make my thoughts ALL about the workout that day. The day before, I'll remind myself that tomorrow is an all-caps WORKOUT DAY, and think about how great I'll feel after that workout and how much I want to be strong, and remind myself again the next morning that today's focus is WORKOUT. Sometimes I don't go until late that night, but it's gotten me through at least one depressed day that I didn't accomplish anything else, and actually helped me schedule my social life around working out this past week (!! this has literally never happened before)

I know I'm a noob, so maybe I'm not the greatest resource, but it's been working for me so far! :) I hope you stick with it and kick butt on your goals!

PS. LOVE your profile pic :D

Level 1 Human Avatar

STR 2 || CON 2 || DEX 1 || WIS 2 || STA 0 || CHA 1

Current Challenge

"Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you." - Ovid

*Gasp* the avatar posted on my page! Thanks for the advice. I think making myself think about running even the day before would help. My brain tries to find ways to get me out of it, while with weight lifting I know it's going to happen whether I slept enough or not. Granted this week has been super hectic so I'm not beating myself up too much but next week I'm going to  respawn and come back at it with full force.

Also I love legend of korra and one of my goals is to cosplay her when I have muscles. Korra gets punched out a lot but she keeps coming back with more ferocity and I really like that. Ergo my profile pic is of Korra.

DUDE, cosplaying Korra is also a goal of mine! :D We should compare notes and make this happen. My favourite thing about Korra is that she's so often afraid and uncertain of how she's going to live up to being the Avatar, but fights things head on anyway and doesn't let those feelings control her. 

Good for you on cutting yourself some slack in a busy time. Next week you'll kill it.

Level 1 Human Avatar

STR 2 || CON 2 || DEX 1 || WIS 2 || STA 0 || CHA 1

Current Challenge

"Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you." - Ovid

I won't lie: There's always justification for peeps in my book xD

Do you set an alarm for it every morning? Making sure you're getting up at the same time every day?

It sounds weird, but I promise my naps when I "get home" when I know I'm not going to get enough sleep the night before, and it helps get me out of bed, even though I rarely actually take those naps anymore. Forcing yourself up at the same time every day will also start getting your body into a rhythm where it'll do it on its own, and then you won't have to force yourself up for your run. Your body will be expecting it. It's what I started doing with my protein shakes and it's working out well for me (but the 4 minutes it takes to get up, get it, drink it, and go back to sleep for an hour are very different than going for a run XD).

Excellent attitude though! Respawn and keep on truckin' my friend.

Overall Goal:

0%
0%

6 Week Challenge:

25.6%
25.6%

FWI I haven't had time to post updates so this is going to be a long post.

Log for 26th Feb.

weights

22 bench presses 85lbs

22 overhead press 45lbs

50 squats 95lbs

30 leg presses 300lbs

23 inverted rows 30 degrees

Notes: I need to make sure I eat enough so I don't crash during my workouts. I also don't want to eat too much and so I think I'm going to switch to using my fitness pal to track my consumption. 

Food

12oz steak

1/2 head broccli

1/2 backed potato

tea w/ almond milk

banana

protien shake

two chicken tacos with chicken, pesto, corn tortilla

Log 27th Feb.

Food

Apple

banana

Egg scramble with bacon, peppers, hashbrowns

2 squares of dark chocolate

black tea

apple

banana

scotch egg with honey mustard

chicken tikka masala pastey

Log 28th Feb.

Food

orange

3 sausage patties

muffin

veggie and dirt (gluten free bread) sandwich

1 square of dark chocolate

Log 1st March

Food

1/4 cup french fries

1 chicken tender

yam

Burger with egg

gummies

smarties

honey dew and pineapple

gluten free chocolate bean square

Notes: I had a rough weekend and I've been repairing from it all week. I had to deal with someone who causes me  a lot of anxiety and I had an anxiety attack coming back from a conference. I tend to eat my feelings sooo yeah.

Weights

Bench press 85lbs 8,8,6,6,6 then 30 @ 45lbs

Squat 105lbs 7,7,7,6,7

Overhead Press 45lbs 15,7,6

Leg Press 300lbs 10,10,10

Dead lift 90lbs 3,3,3,3,3

Inverted row 30 degrees 5

Jog 2.16 miles in 32min

Notes:  Fell behind on running and so I did running and weights in the same day. I was super exhausted so I didn't complete my inverted rows. I also bumped into one of my friends who knows more about weights than me and he pushed me with my bench presses so I had noodle arms. I'm going to ask him if he could give me some pointers. I feel like I'm either pushing myself too hard or not enough.

Log 2nd March

Food

Gummies

cashew nut balls

rice chips

gluten free panini

chocolate bar

lettuce wrap with pastrami, salami, tomato, peppers, 

Log 3rd March

Food

2 cashew nut balls

3 egg omlette

watermelon

sandwich roast beef, turkey, bell peppers, tomato, sprouts, cucumber

jerky

nature valley almond bar

Weights

Bench Press 85lbs 8,8,6,6 30 @ 45lbs

leg press 300lbs 15,15,15

inverted row 12,10

side plank 15 sec x2

plank 45sec x2

Notes: I need to get my sleeping schedule back so I can get up to the gym. Going later just causes more problems

Log 4th March

yam

kind bar

8 cashew balls

8oz blackened chicken with mango salsa

1/2 cup zuccini, squash

1/2 cup fruit - pine apples, hoenydew, grapes

Run 2.15 miles in 32 min

Log 5th March

Food

Kind bar

early grew

smootie- blue berries spinach, mango

Sandwich - roast beef, turkey, veggies

Havest Veggie soup

15 squares of dark chocolate

plum

protien shake

salad

potato pancakes

Weights

Bench Press 85lbs 7,7,6,6, 30 @ 45lbs   (no spotter so I didn't push it)

Squat 95lbs 10,10,10,10,12

Leg Press 300lbs 15,15,10,5

Log 6th March

Food

2 Bananas

yam

apple

GF sandwich

3 squares of chocolate

Log 7th Mark

Food

Apple

Gluten free pizza with vegan cheese, pepperoni, ham, bell pepper

yam

Rice Crispie

GF sandwich

Thoughts

I've been having some motivation issues mainly, I think, because I've been really tired this week. I've managed to circumvent most of my negative thoughts, but I'm wishing I'd see results faster and have more control over a lot of things in my life. I'm going to keep at it and I have spring break coming up so I can hopefully recharge.

I like your notes. And yes my fitness pal is a good way to have a look at your intake. But you should calculate on another site, how many calories you need. IIFM.com!? My fitness pal always sets the goal too low.

For motivation. Do you have rest days? Are you drinking enough? Are you sleeping eight hours a day?

Great progress... Keep going.

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!