ItsDaniel | Calls For A Mulligan

Balthazar

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Last challenge posting wise went a bit tits up

it wasn't what usually happens here where folk give up on their challenges are unable to carry on with them around week 4, 5 - no I've been here too long for those shenanigans

I was still exercising and stuff, but was feeling pretty narked off

Since I started here it seemed that precious little progress had actually been made, and this was challenge 4 where there should definitely have been some changes seen since challenge 1, after all we were 29 weeks on, with nothing to show for it.

So after having a man sulk and grumpily stropping about the place all day I got the old grey matter firing and thought 'why was this', why were there no changes? was I beyond redemption or had something gone wrong somewhere?

Now anyone who has followed the ItsDaniel story for any degree of time will know that my biggest struggle has been trying to wade through the chest deep bullshit of fitness 'advice' that's out there (hope you're enjoying that mental image) and find what worked for me particularly and specifically

and let me tell you that's no easy quest. From fitness magazines that awesome you're already pretty damn fit and can do 20 pull ups in a row, to supplement and 'nutritionists' who are invariably trying to hawk you whatever shit they have cooked up in their kitchen breaking bad style, to personal trainers and gym owners who have done no training or usually at best taken a 3 day course which now makes them experts.

Needless to say most of the stuff out there is a load of crap.

So the first reason I don't think that I've seen much progress has been because of all the bullshit out there and not knowing what will work for me.

The second reason if I'm honest with myself has been a commitment issue. I don't think I have wanted it enough, I couldn't honestly say I have dedicated myself to it 100%. I've tried but not hard enough

All those times when I've had a lie in rather than go to the gym, cooked something quick rather than something healthy, only done the things I enjoy doing rather than doing the things that are best for me there are countless examples.

I've wanted to get fit and healthy but not really realised how much commitment is needed to achieve my aims never mind apply that level of sacrifice and commitment that will be necessary to implement the level of change I want.

So to distil it down, I haven't known what to do and I haven't tried hard enough.

But the good news is now I know why it's gone wrong I can take steps to rectify the problem. So I'm calling a Mulligan, this is my fifth challenge but I'm treating it like my first - in fact I almost posted this in the Level 1 area, but I didn't want to leave all of you lovely rangers.

Let's do this thing - 3 months to summer!

• Like 5

Quest One - Play 60

After getting into the NFL last season round I became aware of Play 60, we don't have that over here but I thought - what an awesome idea.

I've spent that much time planning and programming, typing numbers and filling in spreadsheets to make THE OPTIMUM WORKOUT that it's sucked all of the fun out of everything.

Also, let's face facts, last time I hopped on some scales I was 300lbs, at this stage just being regularly active is going to be awesome, without the need to get bogged down in programming stuff and then losing my shit if I miss a workout or am one second out of what I did the week before.

I used to enjoy just being active so it's time to bring that back.

The goal is super simple - 60 minutes of physical activity every day. Whether it's cardio at the gym, tossing the pig skin, hiking, playing badminton, working the punch bag or physical work

Whatever - 60 minutes of activity each and every day, whatever it is, no matter the cost. If my day looks like it will be too full then I'll just sleep less.

If this goes well I may later increase my activity levels to more than 60 minutes a day but that isn't going to be something I'm going to hold myself accountable to this time round.

For now a minimum of 60 minutes each and every day and if I work up to more awesome.

The last part of this challenge is that if I am in the gym (which I will be most of the time) to look at progressively making things harder - a faster speed, a steeper incline, whatever

Quest Two - MFP

Started off last quest logging things in MFP, and the idea for that challenge was only to log things, not get carried away if I went under or over what MFP said I should have, but to just get used to logging

However I started to get neurotic about the numbers so I dropped the challenge before I went full psycho

But now I've got my shit together I want to get back to tracking - purely just tracking on MFP, every day

Not trying to get my intake to match the target numbers or anything like that. Just 6 weeks to get in the habit of logging

• Like 4

Quest Three - Dump the Junk

It occurs to me I spend a lot of time doing things that I don't super enjoy doing and/or things that aren't really benefiting me or driving me forwards that much

From zoning out on the sofa to spending time with people who I've naturally grown apart from to weekly sessions meeting up with people to do things I'm not really that in to any more

And all of this is stopping me from doing the stuff that I want to do

So this challenge I am going to identify those things that no longer either give me enough joy and/or aren't benefiting me and surgically remove them from my life.

Once they are all gone I'm going to think about things I would like to do instead either for my happiness or towards my success.

I'm aware this doesn't conform to a SMART goal, but stuff SMART goals I'm having a DUMB goal instead

Quest Four - Making it Rain

Last quest is to making forward strides towards generating a greater income, this goal is multi-pronged. I have my year review coming up and I am hoping for a pay raise, I will be applying for other jobs with more money, I'm working on a website to promote myself to earn a secondary income.

This goal is all about making progress on the secondary income and job applications.

Nice and simple I'm going for 3 job apps a week and to have the website basically done by mid march

• Like 3

LOVE the idea of play60! Just making sure you understand the whole coolness of what you have proposed and that none of it has gotten lost across the pond. You know it is mostly a program to encourage kids to be active, yes? The idea that they should have fun and move around...just like we should! Don't worry so much, just get out there. That was an awesome one!

Do you really think there hasn't been progress over your challenges? I've only watched the last couple, but two challenges ago (the "become more Daniel" or "recover my Danielness" or something) it seemed like there was a ton that went on! After a lot of effort, you found a gym that seemed not to be full of jerks and got some advice from knowledgeable trainers. You thought a lot about how to make the gym sessions work in your schedule (I remember a post about having daily short sessions to keep the commitment up). You put in what seemed like a ton of effort to rekindle personal relationships. You put yourself out there and tried out some football and basketball practices. It all sounded like a lot of awesomeness, no?

It sounds like you specifically haven't made as much progress as you would like on the physical side, right? Ok...we can try to help! You've done a lot to lay down the foundations and I think you should be able to do a lot this time around. Keeping a regular schedule would help. I remember one of your recent problems had to do with hip pain. How are you going with that?

• Like 3

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I knew I'd find you eventually! Just realised how creepy that sounds.

Love the play60 idea. Being active should be fun, not a chore. If you don't enjoy it, what's the point?

• Like 2

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Great challenge goals.  It appears I am not the only one but I love the play60.  Another good thing about the program is it doesn't all have to be at once.  If you are particularly bogged down some days, you can spend 15 minutes over lunch 'playing' actively or walking.. and then do that a couple more times in the day.  Looking forward to watching your progress. 

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

Now anyone who has followed the ItsDaniel story for any degree of time will know that my biggest struggle has been trying to wade through the chest deep bullshit of fitness 'advice' that's out there (hope you're enjoying that mental image) 

something like this?

200_s.gif

and did you say mulligan? 

tin-cup-last-ball-o.gif

Whatever - 60 minutes of activity each and every day, whatever it is, no matter the cost. If my day looks like it will be too full then I'll just sleep less.

i love this idea. but 7 days of 60mins doesn't allow for a recovery/rest day? did you factor that in?

• Like 1

LOVE the idea of play60! Just making sure you understand the whole coolness of what you have proposed and that none of it has gotten lost across the pond. You know it is mostly a program to encourage kids to be active, yes? The idea that they should have fun and move around...just like we should! Don't worry so much, just get out there. That was an awesome one!

Do you really think there hasn't been progress over your challenges? I've only watched the last couple, but two challenges ago (the "become more Daniel" or "recover my Danielness" or something) it seemed like there was a ton that went on! After a lot of effort, you found a gym that seemed not to be full of jerks and got some advice from knowledgeable trainers. You thought a lot about how to make the gym sessions work in your schedule (I remember a post about having daily short sessions to keep the commitment up). You put in what seemed like a ton of effort to rekindle personal relationships. You put yourself out there and tried out some football and basketball practices. It all sounded like a lot of awesomeness, no?

It sounds like you specifically haven't made as much progress as you would like on the physical side, right? Ok...we can try to help! You've done a lot to lay down the foundations and I think you should be able to do a lot this time around. Keeping a regular schedule would help. I remember one of your recent problems had to do with hip pain. How are you going with that?

I think I got it, I think it's to get kids off their arse and move around and be active and for it to be fun without it getting all to scheduled and specific?

If so then that's exactly what I'm after, I don't want to feel curtailed at the minute to do a certain thing on a certain day at x effort for y amount of time even if I don't feel like it. I think it's more important for me to be consistently active right now, I can always program up later on.

In terms of progress I meant the most vain of progress, my body shape hasn't changed, other things have but not that. And that was what I originally came here for so it's time to make it happen.

and the hip pain is doing better, a few weeks ago I dropped off the strength stuff for a while and worked solely on cardio, over the past few weeks my hips and knees feel a lot better

• Like 2

I knew I'd find you eventually! Just realised how creepy that sounds.

Love the play60 idea. Being active should be fun, not a chore. If you don't enjoy it, what's the point?

You sound like Liam Neeson from Taken!

Great challenge goals.  It appears I am not the only one but I love the play60.  Another good thing about the program is it doesn't all have to be at once.  If you are particularly bogged down some days, you can spend 15 minutes over lunch 'playing' actively or walking.. and then do that a couple more times in the day.  Looking forward to watching your progress. 

Why hello there, glad to see you here

something like this?

200_s.gif

i love this idea. but 7 days of 60mins doesn't allow for a recovery/rest day? did you factor that in?

Like that but smellier and making me want to gag more.

I have considered recovery but at the moment I am not working on strength or pushing myself to any kind of elite level so recovery hasn't and shouldn't be a problem.

I've been doing this for about three weeks now and I'm feeling ok, even though I haven't had a day off work in 15 days, so by the time I get some time off it should be even easier.

Good question though

• Like 1

Like that but smellier and making me want to gag more.

I have considered recovery but at the moment I am not working on strength or pushing myself to any kind of elite level so recovery hasn't and shouldn't be a problem.

I've been doing this for about three weeks now and I'm feeling ok, even though I haven't had a day off work in 15 days, so by the time I get some time off it should be even easier.

Good question though

just wanna make sure you're set up for success

• Like 1

Seriously, do you have any idea how brilliant the Play60 idea is?  Personally, I have kids, and they would love to be part of my "workouts", if I could even call them that.

You may be a genius.

• Like 1

Level 2 Human Squire

I want to be a Paladin.  Current Challenge Battle Log

Previous Challenges: 1  2

Challenge: Go from a 42 inch waist to a 34 inch waist

25%
25%

Challenge: 100 Wilkes point deadlift.

76.73%
76.73%

So what's your reward at the end of the challenge?

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Seriously, do you have any idea how brilliant the Play60 idea is?  Personally, I have kids, and they would love to be part of my "workouts", if I could even call them that.

You may be a genius.

When I first heard about it I thought it was a great idea for kids, just to get them doing something without getting all caught up in schedules and programs and stuff, but to just be active.

I thought if we could all just start off being active for 60 minutes a day then society as a whole would be a damn sight better off. 

And along my fitness journey over the past like ten years I've got too caught up in following programs and routines from magazines, websites, friends and dubiously 'qualified' personal trainers, but ultimately none of them seemed to have been designed specifically for me both mentally and physically.

Some assumed a base level of fitness I didn't have, or never really focused on the motivational aspects of working out - for me personally if it ain't fun i'm going to find a way to avoid it. I think Steve did a willpower article a while back that summed it all up pretty good, saying that willpower is a finite thing. So if every day I have to spend a bunch of that willpower just to go exercise then there is less willpower left in the tank to avoid junk food and eat right and make myself tidy up and stuff.

So taking all the thinking and planning out of it for now will work, i'm a big guy and just exercising for 60 minutes every day will have a big impact on my fitness right now, and by doing all kinds of different things I can see what works for me if I decide a plan or program would suit me further down the line, and because my mandate is only to be active 60 minutes a day it means I can do whatever I feel like doing in that time, so I'm not using up willpower forcing myself to do things I don't want to do.

• Like 3

I think you have some great ideas here! If you enjoy your workouts, or they're more like playing than working out, then there's no dreading it! there's just getting out and having fun. Can't wait to see the progress!

Hey there, thank you so much for stopping by

Well so far so good, I'll put up an update shortly. But I'm really loving not having the pressure of feeling like I have to do a certain thing on a certain day at a certain time and instead doing what I want when I want as long as it totals 60 minutes over a day

Subbed! Awesome goals and I really like how straight forward they are this time around. Can't wait to follow.

Hey dude, glad to see you're still here, things got a little quiet end of last challenge.

I'll swing by your thread soon.

Can't believe I haven't found your thread all this time!

Subb'd, of course

Glad to have ya back

So what's your reward at the end of the challenge?

Hmmmm good question I'm still deciding. I've written off a load of ideas like stuff for the house or wedding stuff which is what I usually do and decided that this time it will be something frivolous just for me.

Current ideas are a) some new workout gear, because I look like a tramp in the gym. everyone is there in their exercise gear and I'm there in the same clothes I wear for physical work so they're covered in paint and plaster and grass stains and stuff. I think there is something motivating about having 'special' clothes purely for working out, feels like putting your iron man suit on

or B) some decoration for my office. I've been in the role for a year now and it still looks like I've just moved in. I've got a huge office to myself and it's bare and kinda sucks. Also I'm getting my own slave assistant soon at work so I think my office should look a little fuller. Also it will make my time in the office more enjoyable.

or c) some more NFL supporters gear. After getting into the NFL last season with a bunch of buddies and my fiancee we've all gone pretty nuts for it even though it's still pretty niche here in the UK. I've already got my Lord Brady Patriots Jersey but some more stuff would be nice

• Like 3

Hmmmm good question I'm still deciding. I've written off a load of ideas like stuff for the house or wedding stuff which is what I usually do and decided that this time it will be something frivolous just for me.

Current ideas are a) some new workout gear, because I look like a tramp in the gym. everyone is there in their exercise gear and I'm there in the same clothes I wear for physical work so they're covered in paint and plaster and grass stains and stuff. I think there is something motivating about having 'special' clothes purely for working out, feels like putting your iron man suit on

or B) some decoration for my office. I've been in the role for a year now and it still looks like I've just moved in. I've got a huge office to myself and it's bare and kinda sucks. Also I'm getting my own slave assistant soon at work so I think my office should look a little fuller. Also it will make my time in the office more enjoyable.

or c) some more NFL supporters gear. After getting into the NFL last season with a bunch of buddies and my fiancee we've all gone pretty nuts for it even though it's still pretty niche here in the UK. I've already got my Lord Brady Patriots Jersey but some more stuff would be nice

Compromise: Buy a football jersey, pin it to your wall in your office, and take it down to wear it to the gym.  :D

• Like 3

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

The NFL Jersey idea sounds awesome, they always look insanely comfortable to me. Maybe get something nfl themed for the office, signed ball or something.
  • Like 1