NeuralBlade conquering Mountains

NeuralBlade

So this is my first challenge with the Scouts :)

This post might be a bit under construction for today/tomorrow, as I thought the challenge only started next week... Ooops... Guess that happens when life gets hectic and stressful.

My main focus for this challenge is my last bit of training for my 22km Two Oceans Trail Run on 3rd April, which includes a 1000 m altitude gain. If I haven't killed myself with the trail run I will be attempting the Two Oceans Half Marathon the day after it, but I will judge how I feel. In preparing for this on the 14th March I have entered a 22km trail run on Lions Head.

Quest 1: One long run a week, possibly on a side of a mountain if time permits, and then 3 shorter runs during the week. On the weekends my daughter isn't with me, it will be two long runs on successive days.

Quest 2: Sleep. I need to focus on getting to bed at a decent time, and get my 8 hours of Zzzzzs.

Quest 3: Eat Paleo. Eating has been a bit of a problem for me the last 6 months.

Life Quest: Not sure yet, I'm sure I will figure something out.

• Like 1

Work in progress...

Considering I didn't know that the challenge started today, breakfast was a red bull and some chips... This last twee weeks were pretty stressfull, which didn't help, so other than my run on the weekend and the church meetings, I didn't much, other than eat too much processed junk :(

Work in progress...

:o  You want to do 22km and a half marathon the day afterwards?  Woah :o

Seriously impressed.  What is a long and a short run for you?   Do you have a particular to go more paleo?

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

Yesterday sucked :( Tried to go for a run and it didn't feel good at all. The moment I get up to my goal pace my left Achilles tendon starts to cramp up. It goes away pretty quickly if I start walking. When it happened again with my second interval I decided to call it quits. Doing some stretches I didn't feel any issues/pains there, funny enough my right leg felt tighter than the left.

:o  You want to do 22km and a half marathon the day afterwards?  Woah :o

Seriously impressed.  What is a long and a short run for you?   Do you have a particular to go more paleo?

I entered those races in November last year, the entries for the trail run sold out in under an hour, and the half marathon in a day or two I think. But two separate injuries since then have left under-prepared.

For me a short run for me is around 30-45 minutes. A long run is 90 to 120 minutes.

Work in progress...

Hey there. All quiet here for a little while. How are you doing? Is that Achilles still bothering you? It can be pretty troublesome, that area. Well, it certainly was for Achilles himself, anyway.
Just a few thoughts: are you heel-striking or forefoot striking? I don't want to be one of those people who bangs on about gait but I'm wondering what if maybe a change in the way your foot lands might make a difference. I also suggest plenty of hamstring stretches between runs if you're not already.

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Hey there. All quiet here for a little while. How are you doing? Is that Achilles still bothering you? It can be pretty troublesome, that area. Well, it certainly was for Achilles himself, anyway.

Just a few thoughts: are you heel-striking or forefoot striking? I don't want to be one of those people who bangs on about gait but I'm wondering what if maybe a change in the way your foot lands might make a difference. I also suggest plenty of hamstring stretches between runs if you're not already.

I know I have been quiet... I took it easier last week due to the Achilles acting up. It was still annoying me on Thursday nigh, I had 8km trailrun race, especially in the beginning, when it was flatish enough to run. Then it got very steep very quickly, so no more running, till it got flatter and downhill. Then it wasn't so bad. This morning it was bugging me again during my run. So I am seeing the physio in a few hours. With regards to the gait I'm more of a mid foot striker.

Work in progress...

I suspect with the amount of running you have been doing you already know this, but thought it was worth mentioning for anyone seeing issues on one leg or the other!

I have seen issues with my left leg when I am running consistently on the RIGHT side of the road!  Anytime you are running on an uneven surface but it is consistently uneven in ONE direction, your gait will be awkward at best!  You really do not realize it at first but those long runs it really becomes an issue.

This can be true for trail running too because if you are running on the side of the mountain, there is a good chance the downside of the trail will consistently be lower than the uphill side!  Thus, a consistently uneven gait on one side!

On a trail, if you are running out and back, you will end up leveling out "on average" but if you have already irritated one side and then turn around it can just do weird things.

If you have the opportunity, try running back and forth on the different sides of the road or in the middle of the hump, just depending on where you are going.  When running trails, trying to change up what side of the trail or changing trails and directions frequently can help offset this issue.

Just my two cents, hope your feet heal up for you soon, force yourself to take a break and get healthy!  I know it sucks to skip a race, I skipped my half marathon last fall after bring pre-registered nearly a year, but my feet were just not ready for it.  

• Like 2

Finished first six challenge for 2015, granting +1 to CON.  Otherwise all 0 stats at this point.

My Introduction post, tells my weight loss journey up to the point I joined NF!

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/58160-70-there-30-to-go/

Thanks, that is something I haven't thought about.

Physio said to take it easy for a few days. There was a definite sensitive spot in my calf, and some needles were inserted there, so now it hurts quite bit. At least inserting them wasn't as sore as the ones in my foot, now that is something I would avoid if possible.

Work in progress...

Woke up this morning with a massive fever. It turns out that I have tonsillitis :( booked off for the rest of the week

Only plus side is I get to stay home and get to watch some of the Stargate Atlantis blue ray set I have

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Work in progress...

So today I had a race, first time running since I got sick last week, and it was a 22km trail run.

Took me 3km or so to get into things, Then things went decent till I hit the base of Lions Head, which was around 2:15 with about 11.5km done. The climb to the top was just a killer, and the heat didnt help, at its hottest it must have been around 32 C. And somewhere along the way up it broke me, I just couldn't run anymore. I ended up walking all the way down and all the way to finish line, . I also ran out of water after 3 hours or so, since I decided I wasn't going to fill-up at the 6km mark, and I suffered for that. I was without water for about an hour till I reached the 2nd and final water station.

In the end it took me 5:30 hours to complete, and I was the last to finish. The last couple of people behind me opted for the cut-off. Considering my friend did it a an hour faster than me, and that he is a whole lot fitter than me, I'm actually happy with my time, considering everything that happened.

Sorry if that doesn't make any sense, I think my brain got a bit cooked out there today, maybe with a touch of dehydration.

Here is my Strava activity link for the run https://www.strava.com/activities/268115537

Work in progress...

So on Saturday I went for my final long run before the big race in two weeks time, with a altitude profile similar to the actual race, and I will make the cutoff time of 3:10 just.

Based on my time on this run and also last weekends very tough trail run I now need to make a tough decision on the trail run the day before....

Firstly, I'm not as fit and fast as I was last year September, plus some weight added on. I could have trained a bit more consistently, but there were injuries during that time, and it has taken its toll. I had a look at the route profiles for the trail run compared to last weekends, and its an extra 500m gain. Plus the cutoff time for the trail is 4:15. Considering all of this I am leaning towards not doing the trail run. If I do the trail the chances are very high that I wont be able to complete it in the cutoff time, and also reducing my chances further of completing the half marathon.

Work in progress...

I kinda forgot about this thread.

Well, I managed to finish my first half marathon. I am pretty darn pleased with the time, and frankly, I didn't think it was possible. I was training to finish it under 3 hours. But something got into me that day, and I managed to do it 2:42, I would have been very happy with 2:45

Work in progress...