Terinatum Refocuses Determines & Creates Change

Terinatum

Terinatum Refocuses Determines & Creates Change

I spend a lot of time assuming I know what my muscles need. I do not, however, know much of anything. So I will learn. I managed to find better foods by being curious about the changes in my taste buds since doing away with sugar junk food and some processed foods. Surely I can do that with exercise! I am really down emotionally right now about not being allowed and not being able to do my running. I can't get stuck in this mode. It isn't creating any good change, just reinforcing old doubts and self-hatred. No more!

Main Quest:: Redefining My Body

Create new workout routine for in Gym and at Home
Muscle Inventory via Mobility and Stretching
To be written out and posted each week
Check Weight of each Exercise and Adjust for Optimal Effectiveness
are my primary muscles tightening up enough and are secondary muscles taking too much of the weight?
Too heavy - losing muscle instead of gaining strength?
How do I mix: Heavy - Low and Light - High weight/reps
Posture Correction from Glutes to Neck
Neck and back stretching
Close grip seated rows
Lat pull down - slow release
T-bar raises
Prone towel pull up, prone cobra, and slow incline pushups
Mountain climbers
Elevated bridges
Leg up, butt raises
Foods to Try this Challenge
Yams
Coconut water
Oatmeal
At least three more… any ideas?
EDIT:: added life goal
Spa Treatment
once a week
do a warmup for some blood flow
facial
shave
dry skin treatment - elbows and knees
full flossing
foot soak
hand soak
nails
eye drops
moist heat on back and neck
self massage and/or masterbation
good meal
plenty of water
recovery day

• Like 4

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Looks like a good challenge.  Subbed to see how you do. :)

Thanks, Anaticula. I've gotten really good at spelling your handle as you run so many races! The calendar is updated. Have a blast!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Sounds like a good start for the challenge.  Is there any kind of diet that interests you (paleo, low carb, veganism, if so look in there for new foods/recipes there and it will help if you ever transition to one of those diets).

• Like 1

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Sounds like a good start for the challenge.  Is there any kind of diet that interests you (paleo, low carb, veganism, if so look in there for new foods/recipes there and it will help if you ever transition to one of those diets).

Not sure where I'm going in the end, but for now I'm trying to head in the direction of mass veggie input. I have never been good at eating them and I know I'm missing out on a lot of good nutrients. So I think I'll check out vegan and vegetarian. Good idea about searching within the category I'm looking to gain in. Thanks, B.

Hmm foods to try?

Hmm... How about:

Asparagus (if ya haven't already)

Eggplant

Honeydew?

1. asparagus I like steamed. It's expensive and still a bit time consuming for me so I avoid cooking them. I could have them at special meals - I've been enjoying cooking a big meal for myself sometimes.

2. eggplant is evil incarnate! I've tried it three times in the past 6 years and I can't shallow it.

3. honeydew is okay, but not anything I'd eat more than a few bites of at a time.

Thanks for the ideas, NG. Keep em coming!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Looks great, Terinatum!

I would suggest trying out barley oats in place of oatmeal or as another food to try out. It's as flavorful, but it's consistency is better and it's gluten free if you are into that.

Kale is one of my favorite vegetables/greens. If you haven't tried it, get on it. You may need to pre-soak it in a salt water bath to soften the leaves, but you don't have to do this if you don't want. I usually cut it up into ribbons, fry it up like a stir fry, add in lemon juice, about a third or half cup quinoa, and avocado cut in cubes. Sometimes I add a parmesan cheese or Annie's Shiitake Sesame dressing to it for added flavor.

Leeks are also worth checking out. You can use them for stews, soups, salads, and stir fry. They are pretty versatile and they add only a light onion taste to any dish.

Also, I think you could check out shallots if you like garlic and onion. Those are great! Though, they're really only for adding flavor to a dish.

Have you tried spaghetti squash? If not, I strongly recommend it too. This is one of my favorite recipes: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spaghetti-squash-i/

I think it's great that you are responding to your body and making proper adjustments with weights. I've had to learn to do the same, especially after getting tennis elbow for a week or two. I'm curious to see how this goes for you. 

Subbed! Rock it, T-dizzle!

• Like 4

- — Thister — -

Level 3, Cylon (Humanoid IntelliScout/Ranger)

STR 6 | DEX  7 | STA 7 | CON 5 | WIS 7.5 | CHA 4

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 (Checking in most days, weekly updates)

"If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done." â€• Ludwig Wittgenstein

Tonight's dinner

Chicken tortellini and mild salsa -- really nice combo. Try it sometime!

I'd say half of a point toward's this week's new food/dish. I have had both before (not that brand of salsa), just never together. Nice win and plenty of leftovers!

d003ae4556a459b4de784c284eab22cf.jpg

Nom nom

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Looks great, Terinatum!

I would suggest trying out barley oats in place of oatmeal or as another food to try out. It's as flavorful, but it's consistency is better and it's gluten free if you are into that.

Kale is one of my favorite vegetables/greens. If you haven't tried it, get on it. You may need to pre-soak it in a salt water bath to soften the leaves, but you don't have to do this if you don't want. I usually cut it up into ribbons, fry it up like a stir fry, add in lemon juice, about a third or half cup quinoa, and avocado cut in cubes. Sometimes I add a parmesan cheese or Annie's Shiitake Sesame dressing to it for added flavor.

Leeks are also worth checking out. You can use them for stews, soups, salads, and stir fry. They are pretty versatile and they add only a light onion taste to any dish.

Also, I think you could check out shallots if you like garlic and onion. Those are great! Though, they're really only for adding flavor to a dish.

Have you tried spaghetti squash? If not, I strongly recommend it too. This is one of my favorite recipes: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spaghetti-squash-i/

I think it's great that you are responding to your body and making proper adjustments with weights. I've had to learn to do the same, especially after getting tennis elbow for a week or two. I'm curious to see how this goes for you. 

Subbed! Rock it, T-dizzle!

Some great ideas in here, Thirster, thanks.

Hum... let's see.

Barley oats can definitely go on the Eat This list. I would likely keep both, if I like them.

Kale keeps sliding off my Eat This list. I think I'm scared of not liking it. I know it's good, but.... You're right it is a good one to try.

Thanks for the reminder about leeks. I don't think I would have thought of them.  :peach:

Shallots are my new favorite food right now. I just cooked with them last week. They are heavenly.

I haven't gotten to spaghetti squash yet. I tried acorn by itself and that was less then pleasing. Next squash please!

*starts wondering what to make that would include spaghetti squash and leeks*

• Like 2

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

W1 D1

It feels so nice to say that. Week one, day one. Fresh and new and full of curious possibilities.

So how did day one go? Not too shabby.

1. Muscle Inventory via Mobility and Stretching
~ worked with the foam roller giving my center back some relief so I could snowshoe easier and longer. Worked well though the nasty wind turned us around sooner than I had planned. Completed a 1 hour and 15 minute snowshoe hike.
~ worked on neck. I need a much better answer to playing on my phone than staring at my bellybutton! I'm very much fucking up my neck, day after day.
~ worked on calves. I have a muscle or tendon that runs down the middle of my calf muscle. It starts under the knee, a little outward of center. It travels down the calf, gradually sliding over to the inner side of center. It then seems to go into (or is a part of) the achilles tendon. I foam rolled these, but was unsure what good it might have done. Need to research this.

2. Check Weight of each Exercise and Adjust for Optimal Effectiveness
no weight checks today

3. Posture Correction from Glutes to Neck
My neck -- dear God in Heaven, it is a mess! My side to side movement is uneven with my head turning to the right being much more limited due to tightness on right side of neck near my spine/skull connection. Need to do my PT exercises more diligently. This will be part of my more effective workout model.

4. EAT THIS List
As mentioned above, I tried chicken tortellini with mild salsa -- it was delightful. Worth a 1/2 point - new mix, not new foods.

5. Spa Treatment 
I did some lotion application even after forgetting to bring it downstairs about 4 times today. This feels like more of a success for my will power reserves than treating my skin. But as the Spa Treatment is likely going to happen in one or two sessions a week, this isn't part of that. Just noticing.

A nice day. I kept the wood stove cranking (needs wood now though!) and fed myself enough food. The dogs and cats and fish and bantams and the gerbil are all well.

Till tomorrow, nite Nerds!
  • Like 3

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Mass veggie input?

I'll be recording my meals for the first time this challenge, so stay tuned and you'll get to see my 3+ veggies per day.

I need veggies so bad in my diet. I totally suck at it and am changing my focus to this food wise. Recording is good. If you have certain foods you're always eating together, you can track it as a meal in most apps and in excel, too. List!? YAY!! Thanks, Nianne.

I will come back and convince you to try kale. I also have a list for you. You need more veggies! I need to shut down electronics now!

Okay, you and Thirster are right. If you give me a literal step-by-step guide on how to prepare and cook kale and have other items to put with it, I will do it!

I would love a list or two, thanks T2. If this challenge goes as well as I think it will, electronics before bed has got to go next! It will be a huge change, but so much better for my sleep, eyes, and my posture.

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Have you tried:

artichoke hearts -- really amazing in pasta or on pizza as a gateway into them

spinach -- if you are looking to add more greens, toss spinach into your pasta. I usually saute it and add it to my sauce.

kale -- like spinach, you can add kale to pasta or rice dishes. It has to cook a little bit longer though when sauteed. 

Cabbage/Bok Choy/Broccoli -- if you really like stir fry, adding in some cabbage or bok choy for a little extra crunch is easy too. For me, these guys need a light saute, or they feel slimy rather than crunchy. I usually add them last, or give them a short steam before adding them to the wok.

collard greens -- if you like gumbo or jambalaya, it is really easy to grab some frozen collard greens and throw them in with the cooking miasma of goodness... I also like them thrown into curry

Cauliflower/Broccoli -- whatever you can do with broccoli you can do with cauliflower and vice versa. I personally detest cauliflower however. To me it has a sharper sulfur taste. All of the brassicas have this (cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts, etc.), I just find it more prominent in cauliflower. Anyway, if you hate cauliflower too, but enjoy broccoli, you can rice it for paleo rice instead of using cauliflower; if subbing things for paleo is one of your goals.

Anything roasted is delish! Especially since it is cooler weather at the moment and the oven can help with the heating of the home. Plus, cool weather veggies are in season and cheaper. They are some of the best roasted with olive oil, salt, pepper, and maybe a bit of garlic:

radishes

beets

broccoli

brussel sprouts

cabbage -- any kind, any color + bacon

kale

acorn or butternut squash -- these are botanically fruits

sweet potatoes

carrots

Just adding a side salad to your meal is also a great way to get veggies. I find that I like to eat my side salad while I'm cooking my meal, that way I don't grab more than one portion when the food is ready, and sometimes I just really hate salad but I need it, so I'm going to eat it.

• Like 3

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

Send me your dinner meal plan for the next few days. What you would make and I will come up with some veggie items to add in or add to. For example I would have had you sauté a little grated zuchinni then add it to the salsa you had on your tortellini. At least there wasn't any bread on that plate! Right?

• Like 1

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

Have you tried:

artichoke hearts -- really amazing in pasta or on pizza as a gateway into them

spinach -- if you are looking to add more greens, toss spinach into your pasta. I usually saute it and add it to my sauce.

kale -- like spinach, you can add kale to pasta or rice dishes. It has to cook a little bit longer though when sauteed. 

Cabbage/Bok Choy/Broccoli -- if you really like stir fry, adding in some cabbage or bok choy for a little extra crunch is easy too. For me, these guys need a light saute, or they feel slimy rather than crunchy. I usually add them last, or give them a short steam before adding them to the wok.

collard greens -- if you like gumbo or jambalaya, it is really easy to grab some frozen collard greens and throw them in with the cooking miasma of goodness... I also like them thrown into curry

Cauliflower/Broccoli -- whatever you can do with broccoli you can do with cauliflower and vice versa. I personally detest cauliflower however. To me it has a sharper sulfur taste. All of the brassicas have this (cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts, etc.), I just find it more prominent in cauliflower. Anyway, if you hate cauliflower too, but enjoy broccoli, you can rice it for paleo rice instead of using cauliflower; if subbing things for paleo is one of your goals.

Anything roasted is delish! Especially since it is cooler weather at the moment and the oven can help with the heating of the home. Plus, cool weather veggies are in season and cheaper. They are some of the best roasted with olive oil, salt, pepper, and maybe a bit of garlic:

radishes

beets

broccoli

brussel sprouts

cabbage -- any kind, any color + bacon

kale

acorn or butternut squash -- these are botanically fruits

sweet potatoes

carrots

Just adding a side salad to your meal is also a great way to get veggies. I find that I like to eat my side salad while I'm cooking my meal, that way I don't grab more than one portion when the food is ready, and sometimes I just really hate salad but I need it, so I'm going to eat it.

All kinds of wow!

I love the list of roasted items. Never even thought of roasting beets!

Cauliflower, brussels, and broccoli can take a flying leap! Okay, I want to try cauliflower again, but the other two, no.

Spinach I have regularly

Kale and collard greens would be good additions (can I cook them similarly?)

Bok choy might be a good one. I have a friend that has them a lot. I could ask him to share some and see if they are tasty. 

Thank you so much.

I think a spreadie is called for here! Link to come!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Send me your dinner meal plan for the next few days. What you would make and I will come up with some veggie items to add in or add to. For example I would have had you sauté a little grated zuchinni then add it to the salsa you had on your tortellini. At least there wasn't any bread on that plate! Right?

Will do. Nope, no bread! The only bread I have regularly is pumpernickel with my peanut butter.

Okay, it's food day! Well, everyday will be food day soon.

Thanks, T2

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

I prefer collard greens uncooked as a base for a salad, so try a piece raw but be forewarned most people prefer them cooked.

Most of vegetables come in two means, raw in the form of a salad (celery, carrots, leafy stuff, something special to make it different) or roasted in the oven (brocolli, bell peppers, onions, potatoes, carrots, some fat or seasoning and sometimes some meat or cheese on top).  Always have at least one of these on hand so I can easily add it to every meal that way I am not cutting/prepping vegetables every meal but usually closer to once a day.  And don't forget vegetables with breakfast!  Definitely easier to get lots of veggies in if you are eating them with every meal.

• Like 2

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

I usually get my collards frozen or canned so they have been precooked. 

I have gotten them fresh before though, and I cook them the same way that I cook my kale, or blanch and freeze them for later. Usually have to cut out that main center vein in the leaf, that part can be a nightmare.

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

This is all so fantastic, thanks everyone.

Got lots to chew on, I mean think on! Okay, both. My humor is a little flat today. Lot of snowshoe hikes will do that to me. ;-0

I prefer collard greens uncooked as a base for a salad, so try a piece raw but be forewarned most people prefer them cooked.

Most of vegetables come in two means, raw in the form of a salad (celery, carrots, leafy stuff, something special to make it different) or roasted in the oven (broccoli, bell peppers, onions, potatoes, carrots, some fat or seasoning and sometimes some meat or cheese on top).  Always have at least one of these on hand so I can easily add it to every meal that way I am not cutting/prepping vegetables every meal but usually closer to once a day.  And don't forget vegetables with breakfast!  Definitely easier to get lots of veggies in if you are eating them with every meal.

I think I really wanna try this roasting thing. I have a feeling, I will really like it. I've roasted red peppers and baby portabellas once and they were quite nice in my pasta sauce and plain on their own. Not a huge mushroom fan normally.

Getting decent raw stuff may help me with my snacking needs. A dry salad maybe?!

I like the chopping once a day. That sounds much more doable and less frustrating. Thanks, man.

I usually get my collards frozen or canned so they have been precooked. 

I have gotten them fresh before though, and I cook them the same way that I cook my kale, or blanch and freeze them for later. Usually have to cut out that main center vein in the leaf, that part can be a nightmare.

Frozen huh? I have been doing most of my veggies frozen right now, much easier for me to actually get them down my gullet. Oh, I've heard of the nasty center piece of kale before. 

@anyone

Anyone know of a good way to season my iron skillet? It's never been used. And I want to! haha

• Like 2

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Tonight's dinner!

Made possible by Teri's courage and T2sarahconner's know-how!

2cd393390c71d668f0ea232c66cc9584.jpg

Chicken tortellini with mild salsa with spinach, french style green beans sautéed with shallots and olive oil with 6 pieces of pineapple for dessert and color combinations!

Took 17 minutes to make as the pasta was cooked last night.

I will report on the tastes shortly.

Thanks T2!

• Like 3

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Just got here!  Whew.  Kale...try kale.  I loath it raw and juiced.  However make it into kale chips and oh my gosh.  I can not stop until the plate is clean.  So many amazing ways to season kale chips.  

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

I'm curious to know how you diagnose the right/wrong weights to lift.

I was going to make some food suggestions too but I think I've been beaten too it. Anyway, the rest is all g.... Wait - you've never tried oatmeal porridge?????

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.