Terinatum Refocuses Determines & Creates Change

Terinatum

Today was pretty rough around the edges. I didn't sleep much: went to bed at 9:30 pm to be awake at 5 am to feed the dog.

I woke up at 1 am-ish and went to the bathroom and jumped back into bed to warm back up. I woke up at 3 am and couldn't get back to sleep - cold and well, awake.

As some may know, I posted on NF around 4 am after restarting the wood stove. At 5 I fed the dog and went back to sleep until 7:30 I think. We played outside on the snowbanks with a frisbee and hung out in the living room near the fire. Wait! Why am I telling you all this??? hehehe

Geesche!

W1 D5

Goals:

1. muscle inventory

trying to analyse my mid back. I have a bolster for the car that I use occasionally that helps me sit up straighter while driving. But I noticed if I use it low, like we had planned, I round my back something awful. So I tried it at my mid back. My hips shifted back and forth some, but it was worth it to have better upper back posture. Perhaps I need a smaller one for the lower back...? Dunno.

2. weightlifting adjustments

On for Sunday. Injured dog has pushed it back one day.

3. posture correction

same as goal 1

4. eat this

did pretty well today.

breakfast was chicken and peas (my fast food meal)

lunch was my meat and veggie plate at the diner (with 2 slices of maple walnut toast)

dinner was angus meatballs, french cut green beans, and rice. I cooked it!

I also made pumpkin bread from the box - pretty tasty and I don't gorge on it like i do with banana bread. I might put walnuts or almonds in it next time.

5. spa treatment

yeah, not so much. Being tired and in a house that doesn't invite cleanliness, led to me just cleaning my nails as an extra something. I want my full spa day to happen on Sunday or Monday at the end of week one.

The dog injured her paw outside today while we were playing fetch with a frisbee. She was jumping into the deep snow and returning it to me. We play tug a bit and then I throw it again. In the afternoon we did this again except I was also cleaning out the wheel wells of my car. Icy slush, yucky!

When I was done with that and could toss the frisbee more, she came up lame on her front left paw. I checked it quick for bleeding and broken nails, but nothing was obvious. So I coaxed her back inside and laid her on the floor. The best I can tell is she scrapped up her big pad on each side too much. The vet tech said she might have also pulled or tweaked a muscle. I thought so at first too, because she wanted nothing to do with weight on that foot. But I took her out to pee an hour ago and although she favored it greatly, she was bending decently at every joint. So don't know, but I'll be staying here until the folks get back so I can tell them about it in person. I normally leave before they return so they have their place all to themselves, but this trumps that easily.

And I made an executive decision for me and the dog. We're sleeping in the living room with the wood stove!

• Like 2

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

You're throwing down some seriously gorgeous looking plates of food there, T. It sounds like the dog scenario is a but rough and I hope she feels better soon. As a side note, I briefly mis-read your breakfast from a couple of days ago as "labrador" which I think would not have been a good move, so I was glad when i re-read it. We don't have Larabars here.

How did the delayed gym visit go?

Anyway, I'm off to bed. As for you, Sleep well and awake ready to take on your goals.

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

You're throwing down some seriously gorgeous looking plates of food there, T. It sounds like the dog scenario is a but rough and I hope she feels better soon. As a side note, I briefly mis-read your breakfast from a couple of days ago as "labrador" which I think would not have been a good move, so I was glad when i re-read it. We don't have Larabars here.

How did the delayed gym visit go?

Anyway, I'm off to bed. As for you, Sleep well and awake ready to take on your goals.

Cooking is really in a good place right now, loving it.

The dog is healing just fine thankfully.

The gym is tomorrow so I'll catch you up then.

Sleep will be nice and wonderful as I'll be in my own bed!

At home for a few days and then off to hang with a cat for a few weeks (there's a weekend with a dog in there somewhere as well...). Luckily it's close to town and it's a cat. So gym time will be more routine for a few weeks which is why I chose the assessment goal.

W1 D6

See notes above. Also, I was using my stress over the dog and lack of movement to totally clean my client's house. I got sweaty and everything! It was good.

Goals

1. muscle assessment

back posture is easier than engaging my abs when I sit at a dinner table. I thought it would be easier to sit at the table to work at my computer, but I noticed I rarely engage my gut while sitting like that. I kept slouching forward. I'd correct it and slid forward yet again. So I moved to the couch. Not sure it's much better, but it staves off back pain better than wooden kitchen chairs.

2. weight lifting

tomorrow morning! yay

3. posture

I'm noticing a trend! I am really focused on what muscles need activation and 'work' to help my posture. So goal 1 and 3 are fairly similar. I might combine them, but dunno yet.

4. eat this!

Nothing new today, but I finished off the meatballs with some A-1 sauce and the pumpkin bread. LOL Okay, not good choices today. I feel okay, but won't be surprised if tomorrow becomes interesting in the end...

5. spa

I wash my face and hands endlessly at that house. I lotioned my skin most of the time after washing, but not all. I did my ears, face, neck, nails, and elbows. Wanna do something grand spa-like tomorrow (end of week TLC).

That's it for that.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

That meatball dish with all the different veggies and rice looks amazing!  Recipe!?!?!? I might pick up some pre-made meatballs at Costco tomorrow.

Also, I know you said no brussels sprouts.  But, I have to put a plug in for this recipe if you are feeling adventurous:

http://www.marthastewart.com/316075/sauteed-brussels-sprouts

• Like 1

HermioneCrusher: Level 4 Human Witch Scout

Current Challenge: HermioneCrusher conjures new food

Previous Challenges: 4 3 2 1

STR 5 | DEX 7 | STA 12 | CON 4 | WIS 7 | CHA 4

You are off to a good start this challenge.  Just keep at it.  With the movement and killer food I bet you are feeling pretty darn good.

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Glad to hear the pooch is recuperated. Repuppyrated? Oh god, so bad. Looking forward to that weight lifting report...

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

W1 D7

Weight lifting day, finally!

Went well and I got some decent numbers to work with, and I set a new personal best with a 1 rep deadlift with a three second hold of 180 pounds!

And evening two of T2's cooking tutorial for Teri. It went pretty well, harder than the first one for me and more stressy. But it's tasty as I'm munching down on it now!

Goals

1. muscle assessment

nothing specific

2. weight lifting

Oh yea. Okay, I dropped down the weights I've been doing and trying to reset the weights I should be lifting now. It's been months since I lifted regularly so I've been hovering around the same maxes and not progressing as much as before. So, I'll write down the set and weights I did today that feels like a good starting point and then write after each what I was lifting before.

1. 10 mins on treadmill at 3.5 mph at a 5 incline. use to do: 5 mins on rowing (not much sweat - not a good warmup for me).

2. bench press 65# 3x5 use to be 75# 3x5, but it was lopsided with bad form.

3. lat pulldown 80# 3x5 (easy), then 90# 3x5 (good) use to do 100# 3x5 but form sometimes broke on last set.

4. front squat bar only 3x5 - just started these.

5. back squat 65# 3x5 use to be 75# 3x5 - not sure which one I'll do.

6. inverted rows at 50-55* angle 3x10 (hard on set three) use to do 3x5 at 45* angle but rarely finished third set.

7. deadlift 140 1x5, 160 1x5, 180 1 rep with 3 second hold. Holy cow! use to do 130# 3x5 but I need to go up to get anny real work done on my back and legs. I will try out 150# on Tuesday.

mobility and stretches -- back, calves, quads, shoulders, hams, and glutes. us to do about the same! LOl

3. posture

wow, my back needs some serious help! The deadlift helped a lot, I could feel some real tearing going on so recovery should prove to be a gain for my back muscles! Did neck stretches and moist heat to try to relax the muscles a bit. I got some relief on the right side so the left side got a chance to say, 'hey, I'm messed up too ya know!' I know that's why we're stretching and heating you up. Do you want ibuprofen too? 'Oh, I don't know yet.' Okay, just let me know.

4. eat this

cooked a new dish with T2sarahconner! Chicken pot pie. I didn't have the zucchini as I left is at the gig house, my kale was frozen, not fresh, my rou didn't thicken up enough - even after the oven time, it was more like a soup. And, I didn't crimp my edges! I think that's the only thing I actually did wrong/didn't do. I only broke down once after the zucchini/kale mix up. I got myself back and kept cooking. I just remember I kept telling myself, 'I'm just gonna finish it. I don't care if it sucks or what. Just take the steps T2 gives you.' I think having T2 calling the shots, I was able to give up any quitting ideas, because she was texting me through it. I wasn't alone. Thank you so very much, T2. You are my chef!

1# of boneless/skinless chicken - cut into bite size,

half an onion (yellow spanish this time),

chopped kale,

peas

carrots

for the rou...

2 tbsp of butter (I used salted)

2 1/2 tbsp of flour (which may have been bisquick)

pie crust top

oven time

presto - 4 servings of dinner!

5. spa day

yeah, no. I feel semi-okay about it. But tomorrow cannot be without it. I need and want this to be a regular thing in my life, for the rest of it.

*heads over to mini challenge to write up next week's adventure*

• Like 3

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Your food looks great. I started trying new foods when I started shopping at a farmers market (in season). The first year I went I just asked them for something I've never had before. I've been going for 2 full seasons and they are still surprising me. A few food stuff I've overlooked in the past:

Carrot Tops - substitute for parsley.

Root Vegetable Green (beets or turnips) They just started carrying these in the organic section of my meglo-mart

Broccoli Stems - Peel them first. They are crisp and delicious. It is WAY better than the regular broccoli. I prefer to eat them stems.  

• Like 1

Human Ranger Level 4
STR:  2
DEX: 3
STA: 10
CON: 6
WIS: 3
CHA: 2

"I love things that seem impossible"
  The Cat Empire

Your food looks great. I started trying new foods when I started shopping at a farmers market (in season). The first year I went I just asked them for something I've never had before. I've been going for 2 full seasons and they are still surprising me. A few food stuff I've overlooked in the past:

Carrot Tops - substitute for parsley.

Root Vegetable Green (beets or turnips) They just started carrying these in the organic section of my meglo-mart

Broccoli Stems - Peel them first. They are crisp and delicious. It is WAY better than the regular broccoli. I prefer to eat them stems.  

Oh wow, great ideas. Thanks. My chef teacher is the brains behind these recent dishes.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

That meatball dish with all the different veggies and rice looks amazing!  Recipe!?!?!? I might pick up some pre-made meatballs at Costco tomorrow.

Also, I know you said no brussels sprouts.  But, I have to put a plug in for this recipe if you are feeling adventurous:

http://www.marthastewart.com/316075/sauteed-brussels-sprouts

if needed - thaw the chicken teriyaki-pineapple meatballs (I think these were 12 oz packages)

start 1/2 cup of rice boiling per package directions

then chop these:

1/2 an onion, 1/2 a green pepper and 1/2 a red pepper

grate up 1/2 of a zucchini

fine chop about 2-3 kale leaves after removing the big stem. You don't want more that a cup of Kale.

When your meatballs are thawed (if they are large cut them in half) then put in a little oil - 1 tbsp (veg oil, canola, or whatever). Brown the meatball on medium heat.

Once the meatballs are brown then add the peppers and onion and a little soy or teriyaki (I didn't add the sauces).

Still on med heat, cook just a few minutes. You want vegetables to still be crisp.

When done take the veggies and meatballs out of skillet and into a bowl and set aside.

We will use the same skillet that we did the meatballs in so don't clean it.

When the rice is ready then start the next part...

Into your still med heat skillet goes the grated 1/2 a zucchini and the kale.

Sauté those for a few minutes. Add rice and then add a little chicken stock if you like

Put your rice in the pan and top with the meatball veggie concoction,

Warm it all together a bit and viola. You're done.

78471a86d1473aef2cb5ec6a1d26109b.jpg

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

You are doing great! Best student I have ever had! The nice thing is that both of those recipes can be altered with different meats and veggies to change it up. They are both great ways to use up left over meats and veggies too. Once you get the basics down then you can experiment more. We will work on your sauces later! And crimping your edges.

Let me know what day this week you want to do smothered pork chops and bacon tomato kale.

• Like 1

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

W2 D1

Day off! WOOT

goals:

1. assessment

trying to locate weak spots/muscles in my back. I've always avoided my back because of the Marine Corps injury, but it's time to really start supporting the injury area so I can get stronger and be safer from injury when it acts up again.

also not sure about my rear delts. I am really not progressing much with the bench press/pushup. I am benching only as high as 85# and I'm on the third step of my incline pushups. Trouble being, I've been there for months! Not sure why I don't keep with it? I want to do mass pushups cause I know they'll make me feel like a badass!

2. weight levels

upon reflection from yesterday, I have decided to do one more day at deload weight and then progression will start on the next workout - which I believe will be Saturday. 

3. posture

sitting and standing in one basic place are really tough on my back/hips. I'm pretty good at fixing and maintaining good posture in certain places like: shopping lines and elevators! Now to widen the area to include more of my life's activities. LOL

4. eat this

Last night, I used the last of the waffles/maple syrup for the week so I'm hoping to put more distance between when I use it. Was every other day max, not I want to carve it down to 2x week max. Feels right, especially with the cooking I'm doing. Mmm... leftovers!

5. spa

I did one thing which was great. Need more still but this week I'm gonna do one per day. I think I'll have better luck getting them done.

Full back moist heat relaxation. I have this great big heating pad and a shoulder one. I heated them up, laid them on my bed, and laid down on my back and said 'ahhhh' every 10 minutes for about 5 minutes! Really felt great and the pads are flat enough I just fell sleep and somewhere in the night I just pulled them to the side of the bed and kept sleeping. Nice!

I helped my friend with some of her work at the non-profit she's at. Felt good to help out and get outside myself for a bit. I'm still easily frustrated as the meds are still too high, but I am starting 30mg tomorrow.

• Like 2

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Lots of tasty food in here. I approve entirely. And if you aren't eating the Brussels that just means more for me. :)

• Like 1

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

W2 D2

Gym, Volunteer, Cleaning, NF, Socializing, Eating Out, Making Lists while avoiding the collection of underpants!

Goals:

1. muscle assessment

yup. I found that my stomach muscles do in fact recover much more quickly than other muscle groups. So, I am hoping to integrate daily core work into my life. Probably with morning routine.

2. weight levels

yup.

SQUATS: I went to 65# on the front squat and dropped down to 65# on the back squat as well. I want to keep the squats evenly matched so I don't overwork either my hams (back sq) or my quads (front sq). Always work the glutes though!

BENCH: bench press is okay, but not quite right at 65#. I'm going to pump it up to 75# tomorrow and see how that feels.

LAT PULL: lat pulldown is definitely going back up to 100# and hopefully quite soon up to 110. 90# is too easy.

BRIDGES: I have added weight on a short barbell for my elevated bridges. I am now lifting 65# along with my trunk weight of ??

DEADLIFT: deadlift will start at 140# tomorrow and see how it goes.

ABS: Seated ab flexion is up to 80# now. I think I might go down to check that I'm truly using just my abs to pull the weight down. 

BACK: back extension is at 80# as well and feels good where it's at.

ROWS: seated row is at 50# atm. Seems a little heavy, but I did them at the end of the session. Of course that's probably where they'll stay in the routine so I may go down to 40#. My inverted row is sloppy still and I often have to rest longer than my usual 20 secs between sets. I keep fluctuating the height on the smith machine and how far under the bar my feet are placed. I need to incorporate BO 1 arm rows with kickback.

Grip and Ankles: I have been holding my last rep on the sets of most of these exercises that include grip. My ankles still need attention - via the mini.

Back Stability: I am venturing into more back exercises so that I can maintain stability with the muscles I can depend on so I can get my whole back strengthened up.

Cardio: I am doing the elliptical as I can run (kinda?) without slamming down on my bunion on my left foot. The doc never got ahold of me so I suppose it's no fractured. I see him agian this week so hopefully we'll be onto fixes and exact PT exercises.

3. Posture

meh. The only thing I have decided is that if I can't fix the armchair I work in so that my body isn't sore when I get out of it, then it'll have to go. Hell, it may have to go anyway. We'll see. I have to fix my sitting no matter what.

4. Eat This

Nothing new but I finished up my pot pie leftovers and they were good. I am scheduling another cooking session with T2 at the end of this week so yay!

5. Spa

Hum... nails, teeth, and little else. Not sure how to make this more of a priority? I know there's a lot of old programming that goes with this,, but I really want to find a loophole so I can get some more experience caring for my body. Where to find a loophole...

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Your posture work reminded me of foot and knee pain I encountered on one side of my body.  I discovered that I had a habit of sitting with my left leg bent and my foot was essentially under my bottom.  It lead to foot pain at the ball of my foot and prolonged sitting with a knee twisted like that obviously was a problem.  After working out some of my health issues I have become well aware of my posture.

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

W2 D3

First day of a gig, helping out a friend, shoveling heavy wet snow, too much food - including some chocolate about 20 minutes again, was captive of the cable TV for far too long - hence the post time.

Goals

1. Assessment

No

2. Weight levels

No

3. Posture

Nothing I didn't already know well.

4. Eat This

Meh. Nothing new, no cooking, and I consumed 6 small pieces of Dove milk chocolate.

5. Spa

Nails

I so cannot sleep. Gah!

I'm gonna try again now. Wish me luck!

Nite Nerds.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

W2 D4

Well, workout in the morning didn't happen due to sleep problems. I was going to go after my volunteer work, but I just grabbed some kale and bananas and went back to the gig house.

Goals:

1. assessment:

abs from woosey land -- need work on: prone leg lifts and scissor kicks, reach for the toes from prone position, and more I haven't figured out yet. I did some research on how to engage abs to their fullest when doing other lifts. Very good to know.

2. weight levels:

nope

I did try a few new body weight exercises to incorporate into my workouts though which should be pretty helpful.

3. workout:

nope

Got my heart rate up trying the new exercises, but not for any real length of time.

4. eat this:

oh the chocolate that's right there in reach? yea, I got that. F'aaahhhhh! So, more conversations with the peeps within and find out what's needed. I know the med levels and foot troubles are compounding the temptation by thousands, but I still need to get a handle on this. I want to be losing weight, not shape!

5. spa:

ah yeah, no.

I have most of tomorrow off and then cooking with T2 at 5:30 pm so that'll be fun. Want to go to gym or do a bonafide at home workout where I sweat and smile about it. That's tomorrow's goal, then. At home badass workout.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Cool to see someone else doing barbell bridges.  I don't do them often since the bar digs into me so I use a 60 pound bag of sand instead (distributes the weight more) but doesn't scale with weight.  Do you have any tips on doing the barbell bridge?

I wouldn't worry too much about keeping front and back squats even, do what feels like similar effort would be better otherwise I think you might be taking the back squat too easy to match the front squat.

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Cool to see someone else doing barbell bridges. I don't do them often since the bar digs into me so I use a 60 pound bag of sand instead (distributes the weight more) but doesn't scale with weight. Do you have any tips on doing the barbell bridge?

I wouldn't worry too much about keeping front and back squats even, do what feels like similar effort would be better otherwise I think you might be taking the back squat too easy to match the front squat.

I am noticing it's right on my pubic bone or just above it. They have cushions to use, but it only help some, bot all. Sandbags sound like a better way to go.

During the bridge I focus on using only my glutes, not my quads. I don't bounce on bottom or top: I hold the lift each rep for 1 full second and then come down. On my last rep of each set, I hold for a count of ten.

Make sure your feet are tucked under pretty close. Protect your neck. Keep your core tight. Breathe! lol

I realized that today about the even weight thought. Bit first I have to fix my right hip. I lean forward on the way up and found the culprit today. I thought it was my knees, but my 'free' coach/gym guy said that knees follow hips, not the other way around. So I got some external knee exercises to do. And find a way to open up my hip capsule.

22nd level Wanderer

The Way