First Challenge and taking a Zen approach

peacecorn

Hi!

This is my first challenge and I'm taking a Zen approach. All too often I've tried to CHANGE ALL THE THINGS and it never works. (Today's email from Nerd Fitness nailed it.) I'm going to be more mindful this time. I've been a member of NF for awhile but never really participated. Tried to respawn once and it fizzled out pretty fast. So ...

Main Quest:

• Lose 10 lbs and walk the 2.3 mile trail at a local forest preserve in under 45 minutes without getting winded (it's hilly).

Side Quest 1:

• Only drink alcohol two nights per week for the duration of the challenge. I loves me my wine, but it has soooo many empty calories. I'll bet I can lose three to four pounds alone by eliminating just this from my diet.

Measurement:  2 per wk x 6 wks = 12 total, so: A = 12, B = 13 - 18, C = 18 +

Reward: 

Side Quest 2: 

• Eliminate all extra sugars for the duration of the challenge. I used to be good about this, but things got out of hand starting around my birthday on Halloween, continued through the holidays and through post V Day sales. (Half off candy? Don't mind if I do!) So, no cakes, candies, cookies, and pastries. Will substitute with fruits and berries.

Measurement: A = 0 sweets, B =  1 - 6 sweets, C=  7 or more sweets

Reward:

Side Quest 3: 

• Practice Tai Chi / Qigong every day for 20 minutes and/or attend classes on Monday, Tuesday and Friday. This one should be easy. 

Measurement: A = 42 days, B = 41 - 31 days, C = 30 or fewer days

Reward:

Side Quest 4: 

• Walk two to five miles per day. This might be tough. I can easily walk 2 - 3 miles, but 5 poops me out. Will have to work up to it. Also, I will have to make time for this. I currently am lazy. Very lazy. If laziness were a super power, I'd be the hero of it. This ties into Life Quest 1.

Reward:

Life Quest 1:

• Get dressed and leave the house every. single. day. This is no joke! I'm a remote employee and I can easily go a week without getting out of my pajamas. This laziness contributed to my weight gain and feelings of isolation. This ties into Side Quest 4. 

Reward:

Life Quest 2:

• Accept all the invitations. As a hermit with social anxiety, I often find excuses to turn down invites or bail at the minute. Even with people I really like a lot! So, for six weeks, I will not say no. (Really hope I'm not invited to go sky diving.) Addendum: I will give myself permission to decline an invite if I am truly overbooked, overwhelmed and need to recharge. This is unlikely. 

Measurement: A = 0 declines  B = 1 - 3 declines for no good reason, C = 4 or more declines 

Motivation:

• I want to enjoy life and feel good again. I've gained a ton of weight in the last two years and am very sedentary. I feel terrible all of the time.  My blood sugar and blood pressure are elevated and if I continue the way I'm going, I'll probably develop as serious heart condition or cancer, and die. Not ready for that.

Looking forward to getting into a guild! I suspect I'm a Druid. 

• Like 1

Level 0 ?? Druid
STR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

Challenge #1

Love those goals: very doable in six weeks. Challenging without being crazy.

Re: the "say yes to everything". As an introvert who gets overwhelmed by a lot of social interaction (even with those I love), pay attention to socializing burn out. I would suggest adding the caveat that if you're really feeling overwhelmed, that you give yourself permission to say no (but be honest about really only saying no when you're feeling frazzled). Self-care is super important to being healthy (particularly with mood disorders; I also have anxiety) and introverts really do need that recovery time. So socialize, but not to the point where you feel worse.

Otherwise, you go be awesome!

• Like 1

STR 1::STA.5::DEX 0::WIS 1::CON 1::CHA 0

Previous challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/60781-the-wee-terror-heads-into-battle/

After some further reading on the forums, I've updated my quests to be SMART.  At first I was wary of the challenge, but just writing it all out and writing it down makes me excited! Still not out of my jammies though ...

I sometimes work from home and I'm totally with you on how difficult it is to get dressed and go out! Especially when I rather be reading or watching TV :(

You can do it! Take the first step now....Good Luck!

• Like 1

Have fun accepting all invitations!  I'm also an introverted hermit, and I honestly love being home and being alone.  I definitely need lots of time to myself.  However, I've also been working on saying yes to more outings and get-togethers, and find that I usually have a good time.  I just remind myself that it's okay to be done when I feel like it  :joyous:   Good luck with all your goals!   

• Like 1

High Wood Elf - Level 2

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 6.5 | WIS: 7 | CHA: 1

Current Challenge:  2.2  Past Challenges:  2.1  1        A little about me . . .

Hi!

This is my first challenge and I'm taking a Zen approach. All too often I've tried to CHANGE ALL THE THINGS and it never works. (Today's email from Nerd Fitness nailed it.) I'm going to be more mindful this time. I've been a member of NF for awhile but never really participated. Tried to respawn once and it fizzled out pretty fast. So ...

Side Quest 1:

• Only drink alcohol two nights per week for the duration of the challenge. I loves me my wine, but it has soooo many empty calories. I'll bet I can lose three to four pounds alone by eliminating just this from my diet.

Measurement:  2 per wk x 6 wks = 12 total, so: A = 12, B = 13 - 18, C = 18 +

Reward: No idea how this part works yet, so will update later

Hi!! So good to see you here!

Your rewards are stat points - so your STR 2|DEX 3|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 2|CHA 3 in your signature isn't earned yet - you assign those 15 points to your goals and then for your first quest, you get 10 points at the end of week 4 to distribute, and then 5 at the end of your challenge based on if you 'earned' them.

I do have a question - I notice you don't have a limit as to the amount of alcohol you'll be drinking on your 'allowed' nights - is that in the plan?

Kick butt on this challenge and take names!

• Like 1

Battle Log of Awesome

Current Challenge: maigrey goes MAD ..ison

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 34(ish), 5(ish)6(ish)7(ish)8(ish)

Cutting the drinking down to 2 nights is one of my goals too!  I cut out sugar and sweets after Christmas, and at first I really missed them but now I almost never think of them!  Good luck!

I've cut sugar before and, like you, ended up not missing them much. First week or so is rough, but manageable. Provided I don't get drinky and let my willpower slide.

Good luck on the cutting down to two nights a week! Let's help keep each other accountable. Night 1 is done!

Level 0 ?? Druid

Challenge #1

I sometimes work from home and I'm totally with you on how difficult it is to get dressed and go out! Especially when I rather be reading or watching TV :(

You can do it! Take the first step now....Good Luck!

Thanks Sunny! It's all to easy to hermit up when there's so much great content now for TV and books! All the books. There never seems to be enough time, right?

Level 0 ?? Druid

Challenge #1

Have fun accepting all invitations!  I'm also an introverted hermit, and I honestly love being home and being alone.  I definitely need lots of time to myself.  However, I've also been working on saying yes to more outings and get-togethers, and find that I usually have a good time.  I just remind myself that it's okay to be done when I feel like it  :joyous:   Good luck with all your goals!   

Thanks rgbb! I'm right there with you about needing copious amounts of alone time, but like everything, what they say about too much of a good thing is true. ;-) 

Level 0 ?? Druid

Challenge #1

Hi!! So good to see you here!

Your rewards are stat points - so your STR 2|DEX 3|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 2|CHA 3 in your signature isn't earned yet - you assign those 15 points to your goals and then for your first quest, you get 10 points at the end of week 4 to distribute, and then 5 at the end of your challenge based on if you 'earned' them.

I do have a question - I notice you don't have a limit as to the amount of alcohol you'll be drinking on your 'allowed' nights - is that in the plan?

Kick butt on this challenge and take names!

Yikes! Thanks for clearing up the points thing--I deleted them from my sig.

Regarding your question, I suspect the amount will very depending on the night. We have poker here every Thursday and I usually keep it limited--too much will mess up my game! As well as leave me hungover for work on Friday. The other night will be Friday or Saturday and I guess it just depends on what's on the agenda!

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Maigrey!

Level 0 ?? Druid

Challenge #1

That's an awesome break down of quests! I hope it is going well for you so far! In my town they have a few outside Tai Chi classes by lakes and the such, maybe something like that could help you accomplish to goals with one stone.

• Like 1

Challenges:

R: Winter is Here

20|19|18|17|16|15|14|13|R|12|11|10|9|8|7|6|5|4|3|2|1

“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” -John Galt

Life Quest 2:

• Accept all the invitations. As a hermit with social anxiety, I often find excuses to turn down invites or bail at the minute. Even with people I really like a lot! So, for six weeks, I will not say no. (Really hope I'm not invited to go sky diving.) Addendum: I will give myself permission to decline an invite if I am truly overbooked, overwhelmed and need to recharge. This is unlikely. 

Measurement: A = 0 declines  B = 1 - 3 declines for no good reason, C = 4 or more declines 

I like this life quest!  I too have an uncanny ability to turn down invitations!  Might be good for the next challenge, when my car's battery life allows for longer drives.

Level 3 wood elf  Class Scout

Challenges: 1, 2, Current

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 8 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 3

EPIC FAIL

I thought picking smaller more manageable goals would work, but I have failed on several of them. In fact, the goal I 100% succeeded at was the one I thought would be the hardest. Turns out only drinking two days a week is super easy for me. 

Side Quest 1: Alcohol only 2 x per week. Passed (Poker night on Thursday and Game night on Saturday).

Side Quest 2: Eliminate sugary treats. Failed. Ate a Frozen yogurt with my mom on Sunday. 6 of 7 days.

Side Quest 3: Practice Tai Chi/Qigong every day. Failed. Started out great but lost steam by Friday. Insomnia didn't help, then I had a super busy weekend. Excuses, excuses. 4 of 7 days.

Side Quest 4: Walk two - file miles every day. EPIC FAIL. I did it Monday and that was it. 1 of 7 days only.

Life Quest 1: Get out every day. Failed. Insomnia really did me in last week. I have absolutely no recollection if I left the house or not on Wednesday. We had poker night at our place on Thursday which I'm counting as getting out as we had people over. Friday I was a zombie. Worked in jammies all day and then had a slugfest on the couch. Was out and about Sat and Sunday though. 5 of 7 days only.

Life Quest 2: Accepted and had dinner with some girlfriends on Thursday before poker night. Then of course there was poker night and game night. I guess that's a success.

I was just about ready to give up on this challenge completely, but figured, what the heck. I'll log in and, track and try again this week. What's the worst that could happen? Fail again? Okay. If I do, I'll just try again. I have to. If I don't, I'm certain I will have a heart attack and croak.

Tomorrow will be rough though. I'm supposed to go to this pot lucky type of dinner event with a group of women musicians in town tomorrow night. I only know one of them and I'm totally uneasy about it. Also, I'm not a musician! Just have an interest. I'm feeling very angsty.

Level 0 ?? Druid

Challenge #1

have you thought of maybe cutting down the number of goals too?  Otherwise just pick one of them to be your baseline goal and really work on that one so that if the others slide a little you can just pick them up when you're ready.

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Adventurers' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

• Like 1

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

I think you're being awfully black and white with yourself.  Maybe instead of considering it 'failing' if you aren't PERFECT - look for progress instead.  For example 6 out of 7 is 86% - that's not failing in my book.

I also agree with Blaidd - you have too many goals.  Why don't you pick 2 side quests and 1 life goal - the others can be 'bonus', but are not actually part of your challenge [or a pass/fail rating].  Set yourself up for success not failure.

Give yourself a break - I'm pretty sure you weren't great at poker the first several months you started playing. :)

• Like 1

Battle Log of Awesome

Thanks so much for the feedback, Blaidd and Maigrey. I'm really glad I didn't just give up entirely and not return. 

I was thinking about this a lot last night in the context of this game I play online, Crime Inc., where everyone starts with a low level crime boss. Over time, you slowly level up your boss by adding attributes (attack, defense and crew) that you earn by completing jobs and fighting other bosses. And you earn money and respect that allows you to purchase weapons and vehicles that enhance your build.  You join up with other people to create families and allies, and fight others in highly coordinated attacks. Totally dorky, but totally fun. Recently, after playing this game for over two years, my boss just reached 200. I spent a LOT of time on my build, and my boss is powerful and well respected at my level.

I need to take the exact same approach with me. In my game I don't beat up my boss for failing. I assess the damage, figure out what I need to attempt the job or fight later and just do it. There's no judgement or guilt. Why I'm having this lightbulb moment now and not when I started the challenge eludes me, because it's been staring me right in the face! Quests! Attribute points! I'm clearly creating a character and it's not going to happen over night.

I'm taking your advice, Blaidd and Maigrey, and scaling back on the goals. I'm also refocusing my energy and thinking about this 6 week challenge and those that follow exactly as I think about my game.

(Will be updating the original post later with scaled down goals, making the other bonuses that don't affect the challenge.)

Thanks again, you two! 

• Like 1

Level 0 ?? Druid

Challenge #1

Thanks so much for the feedback, Blaidd and Maigrey. I'm really glad I didn't just give up entirely and not return. 

I was thinking about this a lot last night in the context of this game I play online, Crime Inc., where everyone starts with a low level crime boss. Over time, you slowly level up your boss by adding attributes (attack, defense and crew) that you earn by completing jobs and fighting other bosses. And you earn money and respect that allows you to purchase weapons and vehicles that enhance your build.  You join up with other people to create families and allies, and fight others in highly coordinated attacks. Totally dorky, but totally fun. Recently, after playing this game for over two years, my boss just reached 200. I spent a LOT of time on my build, and my boss is powerful and well respected at my level.

I need to take the exact same approach with me. In my game I don't beat up my boss for failing. I assess the damage, figure out what I need to attempt the job or fight later and just do it. There's no judgement or guilt. Why I'm having this lightbulb moment now and not when I started the challenge eludes me, because it's been staring me right in the face! Quests! Attribute points! I'm clearly creating a character and it's not going to happen over night.

I'm taking your advice, Blaidd and Maigrey, and scaling back on the goals. I'm also refocusing my energy and thinking about this 6 week challenge and those that follow exactly as I think about my game.

(Will be updating the original post later with scaled down goals, making the other bonuses that don't affect the challenge.)

Thanks again, you two! 

I look forward to seeing Peacecorn - boss level 200 :D

Battle Log of Awesome