*Respawn* (& watch out for proximity mines)

seth.e.shaw

Way back in 2012 (challenge #17, which seems to have disappeared) I made my first foray into the challenges. It didn't go that well. Time to respawn this dwarf recruit!

Main quest: generally improve my health (including modest gains in agility, stamina, and strength) and to reduce my belly (regardless of the scale), as a health marker, by the time baby #4 arrives in July.

Goal 1 - 12-hour Intermittent Fast (12-hours must pass between my final food consumption of the day and breaking the fast the next day).
Goal 2 - No sugar-based treats unless it is BOTH chocolate AND offered. I.e. if it is offered but not chocolate: politely decline (or save for disposal later depending on the social context) and no self-initiated treats, even if it is chocolate. 
Goal 3 - 20 burpees per workday (sets of 5 to start). Add 5 per-diem each week of the challenge. 

Motivation: I want to keep up with my kids and play with them rather than resorting to just watching. Additional vanity motivation: my three kids (9, 5, & 3) like to pretend there is a baby in my tummy because, until recently, it was larger than my wife's pregnant belly. Cue emotions around life-long negative body image in 5, 4, 3, ... nah, lets not go there.

L2 Dwarf Assassin (w/ Druidic tendencies)

Current challenge: Seeking rest, focus, and peace of mind.

Previous challenges: RespawnTime to get mobile, & Building assassin necessities

Congratulations on baby number 4! It's great that you're doing this more for your kids than anything else. A hands on parent is the best thing they can have. And a healthy one that will be with them for a long time.

I like the idea of your treats being revolved around specific circumstances. I just wonder if you're going to end up like a puppy waiting for someone to offer you chocolate. Maybe keep that part of it to yourself in the real world. People often undercut our diets and goals with the best intentions.

Good luck with everything though!

Dwarf Level 0 | Adventurer-dreaming-of-being-an-Assassin

Year Goal: Lose 40 lbs | Long-term Goal: Become a Freerunner

Overall Goal:

0%
0%

6 Week Challenge:

25.6%
25.6%

Thanks Breebles. 

I included that adaptation to goal two because 1) attempts at absolutist mentality has knocked me down far to often in the past 2) we are still in "treat" season around here between all the holidays and birthdays and going with nothing wouldn't be pretty. E.g. Child #3's third birthday is tomorrow and he specifically asked for chocolate ice-cream. I already have to turn down the cake for medical reasons. Not having the chocolate ice-cream too would be too much. Consider it my attempt to account for the "reasonable/realistic" aspect of SMART goals. You are right though, publicizing this locally isn't in the plan. 

Really though, I guess it boils down to the goal primarily being about my habit of initiating snacking and treats (combo of goals 1 and 2) more than enforcing a stringent diet. Occasional bit of dark or even milk chocolate is fine over the long term. Self-initiated sweets binges (or binges of any sort) are most certainly not. Does that make sense?

Side note: Your signature looks much like mine did the first round through. Parkour/Freerunning has been of interest to me for quite a while now. 

Week 1 recap.

So far, so good. Fasting has worked out, mostly by cutting out evening snacking. I did notice an up-tick in fruit intake due to the removal of most non-sugar-based treats but not a big one. The burpees went fine as well so we will see how the addition of a 5-burpee set per workday goes.

Oh, and I counted the previous post as part of the week 01 mini-quest. Yay!

Fasting and burpees!!  These quests are full of badass.  Glad to see that week 1 went ok.

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Assassins' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Plodding along but making it work. Thanks for the check-in Nightshadow! I intended to respond with a mid-point status update but the wife and kids kept me a little too busy.

So, week two was a success although just barely. Not snacking in the evening was a bit rough at times, but the thought of having to miss breakfast in the morning pulled me through. I was even able to resist an offering of chocolate to preserve breakfast. Had that happened in week one I double I would have held on. This week will be interesting because I will be traveling to teach a workshop later this week (teach Friday, travel Thursday & Saturday). Lets see how well I hang on. 

Post-mortem: "He's dead Jim."

Well, that didn't go so well. I made it through week 2 pretty well but went into a spin dive starting on week 3.

First it was being a little too liberal with the definition of "offered" to mean "free". Then slacking on the needs to be chocolate part before it finally just fell apart. (Easter contributed to that.)

Not sure when the burpees died, but it was mostly due to getting behind in work/family areas and dropping the burpees to make up time. They came and went over weeks 3-5. 

Fasting actually went pretty well even after the others fell apart. But it eventually was neglected because it was out of mind as I wasn't updating here. 

For next time: 1) better definitions and more clarity so I can't wiggle out. 2) Get family buy-in so they can encourage putting in the time when I am tempted to slip it up. 3) Report back on a set day regardless of set-backs.