Sara Kingdom's Head Above (and/or Like) Water Challenge

sarakingdom

I sort of forgot we had another challenge coming up, because RL has been kicking my ass a bit.  (There have been panic attacks.  It hasn't been pretty.)  So I have nothing planned.    But for the next six weeks, this would be a big win:

• Meditate once a day.
  • Basic mental health exercise recommendations: Exercise at least 3-5x a week for 30 minutes.  (Ideally every day and ideally stuff that's more challenging than walking, but my goal is just to hit that recommendation any old way it happens.)
  • Good sleep habits: get 8 hours a night, in bed by 11.
  • Do one mentally difficult thing a day and reward it with something enjoyable.

This is going to be a challenge where I'm probably going to try to disappear a lot because the world is falling down, and it would probably be a good idea not to let me do that for too many days, because the world isn't really falling down.

It's cheating, but I might reuse many of last challenge's Appa gifs, because nothing is better than Appa.  Nothing.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

A bunch of random things:

7FG will know how much this hurts, but I've given up coffee for the time being.  I didn't want to mess around once the panic attacks started showing up.  I don't really feel the effects of caffeine, but it's still possible it was having some.  (I think we've got some decaf in the freezer no one else is drinking, so this doesn't totally rule out lattes on the weekend, but I'm feeling sort of virtuous and pleasantly aggrieved with my mint tea.)

That 5-minute wall-sit is actually looking pretty good.  I do some horse stance in one of my workouts, but I'm not sure I've got that ideal 90-degree angle thing.  Might be worth trying the wall-sit to test that.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Reducing caffeine intake is a thing.  While I may live or die in the mornings because of it, I can't actually drink coffee past about 1 pm or I have some pretty bad insomnia.  Yes, this has been tested.  No, the testing process was not fun.

We all take time to do what we can.  It doesn't all have to be epicly themed and accompanied by dramatic prose.  So, reuse those gifs and use the things that work.  Our illustrious hobbit guild leader is even repeating her entire previous challenge because it worked.  You are not alone.

Nothing better than Appa?  Sounds like a challenge to me...

cute-animals-7.jpg

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

Oooo.  We can be meditation buddies this time around.  Because my stress has been crazy, so I'm hoping it'll help me even out.

daemoncap00045.png?w=550&h=310

(Yea, I'm probably Milo.)

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Self care is always worth it.  So are Appa gifs :-)  If you're reusing those, can I reuse pony pics?

big-hug-for-you.jpg

Mint tea is nice.  Are there any other kinds you like?   Stash makes a very tasty hazelnut chocolate decaf tea.  Good luck with ditching caffeine.  Hope it helps with the panic attacks.

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Reducing caffeine intake is a thing.  While I may live or die in the mornings because of it, I can't actually drink coffee past about 1 pm or I have some pretty bad insomnia.  Yes, this has been tested.  No, the testing process was not fun.

We all take time to do what we can.  It doesn't all have to be epicly themed and accompanied by dramatic prose.  So, reuse those gifs and use the things that work.  Our illustrious hobbit guild leader is even repeating her entire previous challenge because it worked.  You are not alone.

I don't mind caffeine reduction from a pharmaceutical point of view - I could drink a 12oz mug at 11pm and go right to bed, and sleep better than usual due to a soothing hot drink - but it was nice to have a tasty hot beverage that was easily and cheaply available.  Leaf juice in a cup just isn't the same.

No harm keeping this challenge focused.  It actually turned out looking a lot like previous challenges, I guess, but I just need to keep doing those things.  And, well, let's be honest about the Appa gifs, they're the most soothing thing in the universe. :)

Nothing better than Appa?  Sounds like a challenge to me...

cute-animals-7.jpg

ykjVjJP.gif

Double post, so I will add a gratuitous topless Tenzin,  As one does.

5KOLgBD.png

Airbending is clearly better for the upper body than I'd imagined.

• Like 1

Oooo.  We can be meditation buddies this time around.  Because my stress has been crazy, so I'm hoping it'll help me even out.

daemoncap00045.png?w=550&h=310

(Yea, I'm probably Milo.)

I am totally Milo.  Then I realized that meditation was like aikido practice, and basically I was supposed to practice not being Milo over and over again while on the mat cushion.  Then it was a lot easier.

06Angry.jpg

I have not yet mastered fireballs.  Sigh.

Self care is always worth it.  So are Appa gifs :-)  If you're reusing those, can I reuse pony pics?

Mint tea is nice.  Are there any other kinds you like?   Stash makes a very tasty hazelnut chocolate decaf tea.  Good luck with ditching caffeine.  Hope it helps with the panic attacks.

You can certain reuse pony gifs. :)

tumblr_n01ga8UUhz1rtg760o4_r1_250.gif

Mint is one of my favorites, especially made with fresh mint, although my supply is limited in winter.  Hazelnut chocolate sounds kind of amazing.  I'm also a big fan of Red Zinger and its spinoffs, something nice and tart.  I do like a lot of herbal tears, so that's not bad.  They just don't quite fill the same cultural/culinary niche as coffee for me.  But the caffeine itself won't be hard to give up.  I don't know how big an effect it'll have, but I'm pretty certain there's a set of physical factors behind the actual full panic attacks.  It's all been a little more easily managed since I stopped drinking coffee, at least.

I might try something with cocoa powder to take the place of coffee.  I know there's a little caffeine in it, but there are a lot of other things that are pretty good for you, and there must be a way to drink it bitter.  (Of course, there's also just that decaf coffee in the freezer.)

• Like 1

Ehm... Since I'm still watching Avatar, I might try to stay away from your challenge. But I just wanted to tell you that take all the time to take care of yourself, and that we will be right here supporting you. Remember to keep up that force field against the darkness =D

One must still have chaos in oneself to give birth to a dancing star.

Current Challenge

The integration of body and mind is more and more fascinating to me and more and more on my mind as I've studied training and its effects. The grounding influence of exercise on your mental state will be good, and while I doubt it can absolutely defeat panic attacks it can definitely create a buffer between you and the panic.

Good luck.

Sorry that RL has been hard on you. It must be bad to make you give up caffeine.  I hope that helps you feel better, or at least sleep better.

tumblr_m7uvviZwXQ1rq09pxo4_500.gif

We are here for you whenever you need support.

BABY APPA.  That is just the best.  I WANT ONE.

I don't know if the caffeine will help my sleep, that's more behavioral.  I sleep through large doses of caffeine pretty well, usually.  But that doesn't mean it isn't having an effect.

Ehm... Since I'm still watching Avatar, I might try to stay away from your challenge. But I just wanted to tell you that take all the time to take care of yourself, and that we will be right here supporting you. Remember to keep up that force field against the darkness =D

How far along are you in Avatar?  Watch more! :)

Ooh, I forgot the forcefield challenge.  That was a good one.

The integration of body and mind is more and more fascinating to me and more and more on my mind as I've studied training and its effects. The grounding influence of exercise on your mental state will be good, and while I doubt it can absolutely defeat panic attacks it can definitely create a buffer between you and the panic.

Good luck.

What I have read is that the studies show that walking for thirty minutes three times a week is as good as the prescribed drug treatments for anxiety/depression.  (I've also seem some sources recommending five times a week of much harder exercise to get that effect, which also seems plausible.)  That's pretty amazing, actually.

The actual panic attacks haven't returned.  I'm hoping it was just a bad couple of days.  But I'm also doing what I can to ensure it was just a bad couple of days. :)

Week 1: Day 1

• Exercised.  Just a walk, but I hit that recommendation today. :star:
  • Will meditate just before bed. :star:
  • Not quiiiiite in bed by 11, but close enough for government work.  See, I'm gone. :star:
  • However, total failure to get eight hours of sleep.  It's soooooo cold.  It's too cold to sleep.  I'm dying of cold. :blue:
  • Ran out of time to do the difficult thing on my list.  Tomorrow morning. :fatigue:

I've tried a couple coffee substitutes. The one I have in my desk now is Pero. It says it has "barley, malted barley, chicory, rye and Nothing Else". It is hot, brown and savory. Not acidic like coffee. A jar is kind of expensive but it doesn't take much of the powder to make a cup of hot beverage. I often put cream in it but it is good plain too.

I hope that the things you are doing continue to keep the panic attacks away.

Level 54  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

I've tried a couple coffee substitutes. The one I have in my desk now is Pero. It says it has "barley, malted barley, chicory, rye and Nothing Else". It is hot, brown and savory. Not acidic like coffee. A jar is kind of expensive but it doesn't take much of the powder to make a cup of hot beverage. I often put cream in it but it is good plain too.

That does sound tasty.  Alas, I'm gluten-free by necessity, so that particular brand is probably not going to be my thing, but there will be something.  I'm not really in a tea mood today, so I'm going to be experimenting.

Erm, this is not exactly an official source but I ran accross this reddit thread and it had some anecdotes about causes of panic attacks and things that worked to help settle them.  Possibly of use?

Huh, I'll take a look when I get a chance.  Could be handy..

Week 1: Day 1

• Exercised.  Just a walk, but I hit that recommendation today. :star:
  • Will meditate just before bed. :star:
  • Not quiiiiite in bed by 11, but close enough for government work.  See, I'm gone. :star:
  • However, total failure to get eight hours of sleep.  It's soooooo cold.  It's too cold to sleep.  I'm dying of cold. :blue:
  • Ran out of time to do the difficult thing on my list.  Tomorrow morning. :fatigue:

I've just finished the first scroll (water).

Try to beat that difficult thing on your list first thing in the morning! Then you can continue your day satisfied and relaxed by the fact that you took care of it. Besides, your willpower is the strongest when you just wake up. 

One must still have chaos in oneself to give birth to a dancing star.

Current Challenge

Week 1: Day 2

I am sick.  Endless sneezing with gobs of mucus everywhere. 

tumblr_inline_mgx0gnki1V1rn6tko.gif

I got about two hours of sleep last night, despite my efforts.  So today has been an exercise in managing being sick.  Rest.  Warm baths.  Rest.  I'm now onto fluids.  Maybe another bath.  We'll see how far I get on the challenge list.

gallery_19426_1288_36902.png

Then another bath.

Week 1: Day 3

tumblr_my54mkNGvN1qzg70no1_250.gif

I think this is the mental and physical stress of the past week or two catching up with me.  Hopefully this will disappear fast.  I feel like I've been through about six stages of cold in the past 24 hours.  I'm having a food and tea break, a light workout, and then back to resting (since I'm not getting a lot at a time).

I need to get back to my aikido exercises more regularly, especially the stretches.  Lately, everything in my legs has been tight and sore, not just my quads.  I don't know if that'll be today.  Too much brainpower needed for the amount of mucus in my head.

Done:

• light workout (Very light, I was dizzy.  But it was the regulation half-hour for the challenge.)
  • much sleep
  • [meditation, perhaps... let's just say I won't be picking "focus on your breathing" today]
  • second light workout

Take your time to heal but get better soon! =(

Thank you!  It's annoying.  I'm just impatient now. :)