Talvi: Let's Race!

Talvi

SUMMARY OF WEEK THREE [Passed]

To run a 10K race

Ran one long run on Friday where I went on a new route into the nearby park/forest and I looped the lake a couple of times.  I must have really been in the right state of mind because I found my rhythm and ended up doing 10.44K. Woop!  I chose to go bouldering instead of running on Sunday, since it had been a while since the last time.  I ran back home though, and I'm counting it as a easy short run even though it didn't really feel like it after bouldering.   I'm being a bit lenient to pass myself on the goal this week as I should have done more earlier in the week - bad Talvi - but I did 10K so I can live with it.

To improve my Spanish

This week, I got 8+/8 points. Apart from the usual practice, I also finished the book "Fluent in 3 months" and started doublechecking that I know all the Spanish stuff at level A1 (the first level).   I still like the crazy idea of taking a test in Spanish at the end of this year at B2 level, but we'll see.    Oh and this week, me and Dan are going to study the future simple tense a bit - there, it is written in stone (pixels?) now. It shall be done!

To do all the things

This simple goal is going well.  18/23 things on this weekend's list are done and I don't feel like I procrastinated at all, even while I had a good weekend. 

• Like 1

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

Sorry for getting back to you a bit late.   Adventures?  Mmmmmm.... I had a good run on a new route in the park (Bois de vincennes) on Friday which was really nice, I finally managed to get round to bouldering on Sunday but otherwise I was trying to design something to replace a card for Mother's day :tongue:  How was your weekend?  Any adventures planned for this week ?  Especially with this : "Try to make the MOST of EVERY decision that comes my way" :)

Did you get your run in?  And which boardgames?  We recently got 'Terra Mystica', which I really like despite being ridiculously complicated.   I still find it weird that it is a board game without any luck involved.

We had a great weekend.

I did get my 9 miles in on Saturday. It was a struggle but I made it through and it was great. I'm excited to go further next time.

I haven't played terra Mystica, Dominion is a big game with all of our friends. We ended up playing that on Sunday. The kid loves the banana card in win/lose/banana. I bought Chopstick Dexterity Challenge 3000, but we have yet to play it. There are a lot of games out there without luck. I love the strategy games, something to really sink your teeth into.

Human Ranger Level 4
STR:  2
DEX: 3
STA: 10
CON: 6
WIS: 3
CHA: 2

"I love things that seem impossible"
  The Cat Empire

Nice work with the 10k+ run! The 10k race (nearly wrote "10k rave" haha) is certainly yours to conquer now :) You'll be doing half-marathons before we know it... 

Oh and this week, me and Dan are going to study the future simple tense a bit - there, it is written in stone (pixels?) now. It shall be done!

Y - después de leerlo - ya no olvidaré :) Lo practicaré esta noche...

And - having read this - I won't forget :) I'll practice it this evening...

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

We had a great weekend.

I did get my 9 miles in on Saturday. It was a struggle but I made it through and it was great. I'm excited to go further next time.

I haven't played terra Mystica, Dominion is a big game with all of our friends. We ended up playing that on Sunday. The kid loves the banana card in win/lose/banana. I bought Chopstick Dexterity Challenge 3000, but we have yet to play it. There are a lot of games out there without luck. I love the strategy games, something to really sink your teeth into.

Well done on the run!  How long does that distance take the run - on a casual running day?

I shall go look up Dominion now!  We need a few more games in our collection since most of the ones I like to play are in our relative's houses.  Only got Monopoly, Pandemic and Terra Mystica at the moment.  Ha! - Chopstick Dexterity Challenge 3000 just sounds like trying to eat pea soup with chopsticks :P

Nice work with the 10k+ run! The 10k race (nearly wrote "10k rave" haha) is certainly yours to conquer now :) You'll be doing half-marathons before we know it... 

Y - después de leerlo - ya no olvidaré :) Lo practicaré esta noche...

Gracias!  Y gracias para esta mensaje porque me ayuda a trabajar.   Acabo de estudiar un poco del tiempo futuro (antes de trabajo) y no es muy difficil.  El desafio es usarlo cuando hablo! 

Level 11 Morgana Scout

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

WEEK FOUR

MONDAY

Spanish -  Listened to 10 minutes of Harry Potter on the train and then some more whilst I was washing dishes (30 minutes). 1.33/8 points

TUESDAY

Spanish -  Half an hour of learning about the Spanish future tense (http://www.studyspanish.com/verbs/) 1.33 + 0.5 = 1.83/8 points

WEDNESDAY

Running - Did my last big run before the race and totaled the distance up using google maps pedometer = 1.07 + 2.34 + 1.94 + 1.96 + 4.08 = 11.39K

THURSDAY

Spanish - One Anki cards session  = 1.83+0.5 = 2.33/8 points

FRIDAY &  SATURDAY

Had some friends visiting so not much work was done.

SUNDAY

Spanish - One Anki cards session, did 5 x 15 question quizzes on the future tense from Studyspanish.com and I'm watching the Prince of Egypt in Spanish in the background whilst I type this.  Also did 1h10 speaking practice with Dan (future tense ftw) = 2.33 + 2.33 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.66 = 6.33/8 points

Running - The big race!

• Like 2

Level 11 Morgana Scout

Well done on the run!  How long does that distance take the run - on a casual running day?

I shall go look up Dominion now!  We need a few more games in our collection since most of the ones I like to play are in our relative's houses.  Only got Monopoly, Pandemic and Terra Mystica at the moment.  Ha! - Chopstick Dexterity Challenge 3000 just sounds like trying to eat pea soup with chopsticks :tongue:

It was a casual day running on Saturday. It took me 1 hour and 38 minutes. I am shooting for a faster pace but I did have a few hiccups. I managed to keep running the whole time but the water fountains I was expecting to drink from were not yet turned on AND the paths had ice and slush. So it was like running on cold, slippery sand. So I feel like it was GREAT to be able to complete.

WE LOVE Dominion. We played it with friends on their anniversary. The wife turned to the husband and said, "Whatever plans you have tonight, cancel them, lets go buy this game instead." We played it with my sister and her husband. The bought it. THEY played it with his parents. His parents immediately bought it. Such a fun deck building game. There are a bunch of expansions. Start, like running, with the base. =D

• Like 1

Human Ranger Level 4

The Cat Empire

The big race

It was pretty cold to start off with but at least it didn't rain (although I can't complain much considering other rebels run knee-deep in snow).   The atmosphere was great and it was a clear route looping around and into the forest.  I started off quite near to the front and soon realised that I was just behind the 50 minute reference jogger.   I managed to keep him in sight throughout the race despite falling back after a while.   I was seriously aiming to do the race in 60+ minutes, but I am really happy to say that I finished in 51 minutes 35 seconds!     A massive thanks and kudos to Jean-Jacques whom I jogged next to for the last 2-3km - he really helped me to keep up the pace when I would have otherwise slowed down.   Other numbers from this race: I was 358/873 competitors in total, I was 31/228 women in my age group and I ran on average 11.632 km/hr.   This probably also means that I broke my PR for my 5K time from 27.00 to approx 25.47.  I'm a very happy (and slightly crippled) bunny now :)

• Like 2

Level 11 Morgana Scout

The big race

It was pretty cold to start off with but at least it didn't rain (although I can't complain much considering other rebels run knee-deep in snow).   The atmosphere was great and it was a clear route looping around and into the forest.  I started off quite near to the front and soon realised that I was just behind the 50 minute reference jogger.   I managed to keep him in sight throughout the race despite falling back after a while.   I was seriously aiming to do the race in 60+ minutes, but I am really happy to say that I finished in 51 minutes 35 seconds!     A massive thanks and kudos to Jean-Jacques whom I jogged next to for the last 2-3km - he really helped me to keep up the pace when I would have otherwise slowed down.   Other numbers from this race: I was 358/873 competitors in total, I was 31/228 women in my age group and I ran on average 11.632 km/hr.   This probably also means that I broke my PR for my 5K time from 27.00 to approx 25.47.  I'm a very happy (and slightly crippled) bunny now :)

Holy crap. You absolutely DESTROYED that time. Congrats!

• Like 1

That's ridiculously good, well done :D Your running program must've worked really well to make that sort of progress!

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

That sounds like am AMAZING Race. Did it feel good doing it? My 10K is this weekend in Richmond, VA. I'm nervous about it as it is going to be a HUGE number of people running (35,000+). But I think you will have won the "race" I don't think I'll be under 52 minutes. =D

• Like 1

Human Ranger Level 4

The Cat Empire

Thanks everyone, I'm really pleased with it!!!  I've caught myself I few times this week, just smiling to myself :)

I got given two times after the race: official (51.35) and real (51:09).  Am I right in thinking that the real time is my actual individual time (from crossing the start line to crossing the finishing line) and that the official time is the time from when the race started (i.e. the first runners started)?

@Wykcira1 : 35,000!!! How does everyone fit on the track?!?  My race was only 1000 runners and everyone was still elbowing each other.   Are you still doing practice runs or are you resting up?  Good luck out there!

• Like 1

Level 11 Morgana Scout

WEEK FIVE

Week four went rather well on the running front, but now that I've completed that goal I need to really think about what I want to do next.  Got less Spanish points than usual (6.33/8), but to be fair I think I have done enough extra work in other weeks to make up for it.   Since I had friends over last weekend, I didn't have much time to myself to make lists.  I did one on Sunday evening though and did 6/13 things on it.

MONDAY & TUESDAY

Spanish -  I have done two Anki card sessions and listened to a lot of Harry Potter (40 + 36 minutes, just finished "la poción multijugos") =  1 + 2.53 = 3.53/8 points

WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY & FRIDAY

Spanish -  I have only been doing Anki exercises these days, but I've been finding new people to Spanish with so fingers crossed :)1 + 3.53 = 4.53/8 points

Running - Just chilling at the moment, thinking about what I want to aim for next and browsing upcoming races.

SATURDAY

Spanish -  Listened to HP for 30 minutes whilst I cleaned the house =  1 + 4.53 = 5.53/8 points

Weekend list - I sat down and made my list of things to do. Normally my list is quite random, but this time I actually have 3 main projects to work on: planning an Hen party, studying/practicing Spanish and finishing writing up an article.

SUNDAY

Spanish -  Got some speaking practice in by doing a language exchange with the lovely Ch3 for 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Thanks mate :) Also watched 2 episodes of Pokémon and studied daily route type stuff.  Also talked with SymphonicDan today for an hour in Spanish before we gave up and Englished all the way home.  It wasn't my best language practice, but I was tired and a bit stressed. 5.53 + 1.25 + 0.66 +0.5 + 2 = 9.94/8 points

• Like 1

Level 11 Morgana Scout

Thanks everyone, I'm really pleased with it!!!  I've caught myself I few times this week, just smiling to myself :)

I got given two times after the race: official (51.35) and real (51:09).  Am I right in thinking that the real time is my actual individual time (from crossing the start line to crossing the finishing line) and that the official time is the time from when the race started (i.e. the first runners started)?

@Wykcira1 : 35,000!!! How does everyone fit on the track?!?  My race was only 1000 runners and everyone was still elbowing each other.   Are you still doing practice runs or are you resting up?  Good luck out there!

You deserve to smile to yourself and everyone around you. My co-workers are probably getting SICK of hearing me talking about running so much.

They are closing a main road for the run on Saturday. We also start in waves. The people that are going to win the race start at 8:00. Then they start runners ever minute for an hour. Then ever 3 minutes for another hour. The starting group I am in doesn't even being until 9:00. So the winners will already be done and sitting by the time I get to start the race. hahahaha.

I am not resting up yet. This is just a step in my training. I am registered for a half marathon in May. So the 10K is my tempo run for the week. It honestly fits perfect into my training schedule. Some times the universe just works out.

• Like 1

Human Ranger Level 4

The Cat Empire

This is all just amazing, Talvi. You are smokin fast with the running, congrats on HOW many PR's?! LOL

This challenge has brought great gifts to the forefront for you, I see why you are smiling out of nowhere! When I first hit 2.4 miles, I was ecstatic for days.

You have 1 1/2 weeks to push something to the forefront, what do you want to be focusing on now?

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

You deserve to smile to yourself and everyone around you. My co-workers are probably getting SICK of hearing me talking about running so much.

They are closing a main road for the run on Saturday. We also start in waves. The people that are going to win the race start at 8:00. Then they start runners ever minute for an hour. Then ever 3 minutes for another hour. The starting group I am in doesn't even being until 9:00. So the winners will already be done and sitting by the time I get to start the race. hahahaha.

I am not resting up yet. This is just a step in my training. I am registered for a half marathon in May. So the 10K is my tempo run for the week. It honestly fits perfect into my training schedule. Some times the universe just works out.

:) Oh, so that is how they do it.  Man, I need to see some bigger races.    GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND!!!!

This is all just amazing, Talvi. You are smokin fast with the running, congrats on HOW many PR's?! LOL

This challenge has brought great gifts to the forefront for you, I see why you are smiling out of nowhere! When I first hit 2.4 miles, I was ecstatic for days.

You have 1 1/2 weeks to push something to the forefront, what do you want to be focusing on now?

Thank you!  :D   The benefit of being a running noob is that there is plently of PRs for the taking!    Not sure what I want to do now though in the challenge.  I'm enjoying this running malarkey, so I'm on the look out for my next big race/challenge.   I don't know what has come over me, but I'm actually upset that Paris Half Marathon is next weekend.   If it was in October then maybe I would have a chance....  

The best thing about this guild is that you guys and your epic challenges are actually making me think that I could do much more :o

• Like 2

Level 11 Morgana Scout

WEEK FIVE

Week five was a pretty lazy week.  No exercise of any kind and I just sat around and was content.   Not too interested in pushing myself too much next week, but I would be happy if I get to go for a run and to go bouldering.   I did pretty well in Spanish points with 10/8 - I talked to someone new in Spanish as well as my usual practice, I studied daily routine a bit and I researched how and when I could do an exam in Spanish.  16th October is my new deadline!   Did waste a bit of time this weekend, but I did a lot of work on organising a hen party and speaking a lot of Spanish.   So overall the list was good, but since I focused on two things, I didn't feel like I was ticking enough things off the list (9/16).

WEEK SIX

MONDAY

Spanish -  I have done an Anki session on the metro and I listened to a few lectures on organ transplantation at work = 1/8 points

TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY & THURSDAY

Spanish -  I've lost track of what I've done.  I remember trying some Anki sessions but I don't remember finishing them...  I've listened to 20 minutes of the Cornelius Fudge chapter and I had a little speaking practice yesterday with SymphonicDan for 30 minutes  = 1 + 0.66 + 1 = 2.66/8 points

FRIDAY & SATURDAY

Spanish -  45 minutes of HP audiobook   =  2.66 + 1.5 = 3.16/8 points

SUNDAY

Running -  It is a cold but sunny day today, so I went out for a gentle and fun jog in the Bois de Vincennes. I didn't push myself or have a particularly set route, but I really enjoyed being out and about.  The Buddhist temple in the park was open to the public to celebrate the Khmer New Year, so I have a little investigate of their celebrations (a concert and so much exotic food!) and resolved to always carry a couple of euros with me on a jog just in case I stumble onto any other Cambodian celebrations.  Next, I jogged around a bit and discovered an adult exercise circuit in the park.  It had exercises props at different places on the circuit, and so I thought I should definitely do it so I could legitimately play on all the toys.   I sort of stalked a nice man called Camel (no idea how to spell that) around the course and he explained to me what I was supposed to do at each exercise checkpoint.  Good stuff!  I ran 5.5km and did an extra 2.4km as part of the exercise circuit = 7.9km.

Spanish -  Talked with SymphonicDan for one hour to finish off this challenge.  It was good, I feel quite comfortable in explaining myself to Dan.  It helps  = 2 + 3.16 = 5.16/8 points

• Like 2

Level 11 Morgana Scout

SUMMARY of level 6: Let's Race!

To run a 10K race [ACHIEVED]

Possible challenge reward: +4 STA & +2 CON

Stats awarded: +4 STA & +2 COM

Mission accomplished: I ran the 10K Soli'run race in 51.09 minutes giving me an awesome 1st time PR!  It also suggests that I can beat my current 5K PR in the future (27.00 to approx. 25.47 minutes).  I ran twice a week before the race and suffered from a plague of laziness afterwards.   In any case: I made a lot of progress, did some new and relaxing runs, discovered how nice it is to run in a park and I met some friendly and supportive people (both online and on the runs).

Distances per run in this challenge (km): 6, 7.7, 7.2, 7.7, 10.44, 1.6, 11.39, 10 & 7.9

To improve my Spanish [bOO YEAH]

Possible challenge reward: +4 WIS & +2 CHA

Stats awarded: +4 WIS & +2 CHA

This went very well.  Overall, I got 46.81/48 Spanish points over the the six weeks.   Damn my laziness on that last week, I was so close to full marks!   Happy with my progress though and my efforts overall.  Spanish has had an almost daily presence in my life so almost 12 weeks now, so I'm really happy with that habit.   

Thanks so much to SymphonicDan for the weekly chats - I really appreciate and enjoy them.  They have been so important in my Spanish progress and my confidence in speaking :D

To do all the things [7 out of 7]

Possible challenge reward: +3 in a mix of STR, DEX, STA, CON, WIS or CHA depending on weekend activities

Stats awarded: +1 WIS, +1 CHA & +1 CON

The goal was initially just a filler for my challenge, but it turned out to be useful and an awesome little habit to have.   I made a list of things to do every weekend and I ticked as many things off as I could.   It has been great for productivity, focus and for not procrastinating on unpleasant tasks.

I completed an Edx course, kept my house tidy, did administrative tasks, practiced using Inkscape, wrote and sent off a little internet article for a science website.  

What next?

I've been doing pretty well in achieving my goals so far this year, but I've had a slump for the last two weeks.  The last two weeks coincided with finishing some projects, and in the aftermath I had no energy or direction to do anything.  The aim of this weekend was to find some motivation and to make new goals.  

After this 10K, I want to try for a half-marathon in the future and so I researched upcoming races in my area.   I like the idea of the Versailles Running Tour (15km in June), Paris to Versaille (16km in September) and the Vincennes half marathon (21km in October).   So I'm definitely coming back to the Scouts in future challenges. 

But my Assassin tendencies are taking the lead in this next challenge.  In my 2015 epic quest list, I put that I wanted to boulder at Fontainebleau and so that is what I am going to do.   I'm going to focus on bouldering (indoors) twice a week and organising my first trip down there in May :)

I plan to continue with my Spanish-learning and productivity habits, developed here, although perhaps not as part of the next challenge.  I would really like to do someone a bit new, and so I'm going to try and learn to draw!  I've been fiddling around with Inkscape recently and I would like to learn some more technical stuff about hand-drawing and also get better at it  :D

A big thanks to you guys for your support and messages - Terinatum, SymphonicDan, wykcira1 and Salivanth!!!

• Like 1

Level 11 Morgana Scout

SUMMARY of level 6: Let's Race!

To run a 10K race [ACHIEVED]

Possible challenge reward: +4 STA & +2 CON

Stats awarded: +4 STA & +2 COM

Mission accomplished: I ran the 10K Soli'run race in 51.09 minutes giving me an awesome 1st time PR! It also suggests that I can beat my current 5K PR in the future (27.00 to approx. 25.47 minutes). I ran twice a week before the race and suffered from a plague of laziness afterwards. In any case: I made a lot of progress, did some new and relaxing runs, discovered how nice it is to run in a park and I met some friendly and supportive people (both online and on the runs).

Distances per run in this challenge (km): 6, 7.7, 7.2, 7.7, 10.44, 1.6, 11.39, 10 & 7.9

To improve my Spanish [bOO YEAH]

Possible challenge reward: +4 WIS & +2 CHA

Stats awarded: +4 WIS & +2 CHA

This went very well. Overall, I got 46.81/48 Spanish points over the the six weeks. Damn my laziness on that last week, I was so close to full marks! Happy with my progress though and my efforts overall. Spanish has had an almost daily presence in my life so almost 12 weeks now, so I'm really happy with that habit.

Thanks so much to SymphonicDan for the weekly chats - I really appreciate and enjoy them. They have been so important in my Spanish progress and my confidence in speaking :D

To do all the things [7 out of 7]

Possible challenge reward: +3 in a mix of STR, DEX, STA, CON, WIS or CHA depending on weekend activities

Stats awarded: +1 WIS, +1 CHA & +1 CON

The goal was initially just a filler for my challenge, but it turned out to be useful and an awesome little habit to have. I made a list of things to do every weekend and I ticked as many things off as I could. It has been great for productivity, focus and for not procrastinating on unpleasant tasks.

I completed an Edx course, kept my house tidy, did administrative tasks, practiced using Inkscape, wrote and sent off a little internet article for a science website.

What next?

I've been doing pretty well in achieving my goals so far this year, but I've had a slump for the last two weeks. The last two weeks coincided with finishing some projects, and in the aftermath I had no energy or direction to do anything. The aim of this weekend was to find some motivation and to make new goals.

After this 10K, I want to try for a half-marathon in the future and so I researched upcoming races in my area. I like the idea of the Versailles Running Tour (15km in June), Paris to Versaille (16km in September) and the Vincennes half marathon (21km in October). So I'm definitely coming back to the Scouts in future challenges.

But my Assassin tendencies are taking the lead in this next challenge. In my 2015 epic quest list, I put that I wanted to boulder at Fontainebleau and so that is what I am going to do. I'm going to focus on bouldering (indoors) twice a week and organising my first trip down there in May :)

I plan to continue with my Spanish-learning and productivity habits, developed here, although perhaps not as part of the next challenge. I would really like to do someone a bit new, and so I'm going to try and learn to draw! I've been fiddling around with Inkscape recently and I would like to learn some more technical stuff about hand-drawing and also get better at it :D

A big thanks to you guys for your support and messages - Terinatum, SymphonicDan, wykcira1 and Salivanth!!!

This was an awesome challenge for you!

Make sure you come brag to us when you bust your 5k PR!!

Congratulations!

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!