Manarelle strives for balance

Manarelle

Introduction:  Hi I am Manarelle and this is my second challenge. I started using the Rebellion's guide to bodyweight training four months ago when hours of cardio were doing nothing for my knee problems or my weight. I got from 200 lbs to 175 with cardio and cutting out snacks, but I hit a plateau mid-2014, and got discouraged. I got through my first challenge, but recognized that (as usual) I was trying to do it all at once. Since I have a full-time job and take online classes toward my Master's degree, my schedule's already a little full, so I need to back up and identify just a few important things to keep myself in balance. (Especially since spring is supposed to be coming soon and that means gardening!!)

Main Quest:  Keep a healthy balance between work, school, and hobbies. 

Quest 1: Workout 3 times a week, either HIIT or BBWW

Measurement: A = 3 times a week, every week, B = 3 times a week, most weeks, C = 2 times a week.

Quest 2: Log my food. All of it. Even homemade.

Measurement: A = every day, B =  6 days a week, C = mostly 6 days a week

Quest 3: Use the Irish dance warm-up and stretches when I work out to improve balance and flexibility.

Measurement: A = 3 times a week, every week, B = 3 times a week, most weeks, C = 2 times a week.

Life Quest: Make 1 skirt that I really like, and can wear to work. 

Measurement: No grades, just pass/fail.

Motivation:  In an effort to keep it simple I'm not going to mess with points yet, but since I'm quite familiar about working to keep a GPA up, here goes:

Mostly As: Treat myself to a professional massage

Mostly Bs: Treat myself to a day at the range.

Mostly Cs: Treat myself to some quality bath stuff. 

One step at a time!

• Like 4

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

All fantastic goals! Having a busy life can seriously make this difficult (I learned that a month ago myself as you know lol), so balance in your life is a great idea. and I love your grading system, I may have to copy it. You can do this! And I'll be sure to check in with you on it too :D

Level 2 Lycan Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

Your goals are great! I especially like your skirt goal, simply because it is so original! Do you already have an idea what you want the skirt to look like?

I wonder, what is the Irish Dance warmup? Some kind of video I can try someday too? I always like trying new things!

Would love to hear how you have been doing so far!

Yea for gardening!!!  I'm already starting to plan what we will grow. 

How's week 1 treating you???

howareyoudoing

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Week 1 check-in!

Quest 1: 1 HIIT, 2 BBWWs, with added mountain-climbers for the weekly challenge. Those things are killer (as in ouch).

Quest 2: Logged every snack, every munchie, everything. And while I was under my "maintain" calorie goal, I KNOW there were times when I skipped snacks because I was too lazy to log it. I guess that's good, in the end... 

Quest 3: Use the Irish dance warm-up and stretches when I work out to improve balance and flexibility. Done!

No skirt yet, but I did go through my sewing closet and (gasp!) throw out old projects that I either don't have the fabric for, decided I don't like, or would be way more trouble to take in than restart, becuse I started them when I was at my heaviest. So clearing the way!

Lilith - the warmup I use is the one that my dance teacher used at the start of every class. I don't have a video of it, but I can write the steps and stretches down if you'd like. If you want to jump in feet first (ha!), you can go with this video by Jean Butler, my personal Riverdance favorite. Just be aware that it's intense! My gentleman and I are looking at buying a house, for a number of reasons, but I'm excited because it means I can practice hardshoe again. Squee!

• Like 2

LOL - well, I often use gardening and other household tasks as workouts .... although Spider Robinson insists that PUNS should be PUNished .....

Glad to see the first week went well.  How's this week turning out?

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

Week 2 check-in.

Quest 1: 1 HIIT, 1 BBWW, and 1.5 hours of shoveling snow, which I'm counting as a workout. 

Quest 2: Logged everything. 

Quest 3: Irish dance warm up and stretches, and stretching almost every hour at work, too. 

Skirt is in progress, slowly. Garden is also becoming viable. Thoroughly excited!

• Like 1

stretching every hour at work?

I admire your dedication!

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

STR 5  |  DEX 6  |  STA 7  |  CON 6  |  WIS 12  |  CHA 5

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:  #1   #2   #3   #4   #5   #6   #7  #8

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself." - Mikhail Baryshnikov

Fultonator, 

It actually makes the day go by much faster, and prevents me from getting pins and needles, or realizing I haven't moved in 4 hours. I have a little alarm on my desktop that goes off at the top of every hour, and I won't turn it off til I've stretched (most of the time). It's also really helped my flexibility, and no one's commented on it, despite me sitting in a very prominent spot. 

• Like 1

Wow, it's week 3 already? Time flies when you're working out. 

Quest 1: 1 HIIT (+extra interval), 2 BBWWs, and longer planks.

Quest 2: Logged everything (definitely identified a binge day, too)

Quest 3: Irish dance warm up and stretches, and stretching at work. 

The skirt is actually making progress, and I even got to go out to the garden and transplant my raspberries into the safety of the fence. Take that, deer!

• Like 2

How are you fencing out the deer?  I want to put in raspberries, but I'm not sure how to keep them from spreading too much .... and from getting chomped by the local herd.  

Some sort of Jedi .....

I rent a garden plot from a local community garden group, so the whole thing is literally fenced in, and I put up bamboo poles to further keep out deer. If you want to put in some at a house, I'd recommend putting up deer netting around the trellises (unlike blackberries, raspberries tend to produce best when kept trellised, rather than allowed to grow wild). 

Early spring in the garden:

Garden%202015.jpg

Last year, showing the deer fence:

Garden%202014.jpg

• Like 1

OK.  I have a new yard - to me - and will be putting in gardens this summer.   I've grown raspberries before.  The deer didn't bother THOSE too much.  My roses and squash suffered greatly, but the raspberries thrived.  Time to start sketching out a plan, I think.  

Some sort of Jedi .....

Aw, man, I miss having roses. Maybe in a year, when we get our house done, I can plant some. They don't do too well in apartments, though. Definitely time to start a plan! That's how I get through the tail end of winter, by looking ahead.

Anyway. Week 4 is already gone?! Crud, I'd better get started on sewing!

Quest 1: Did 2 workouts, then sinus infection hit. Tried a yoga workout, which mostly worked, except the parts where your head is upside-down. :( Much as I want to push through the sickness, I know I need to take it easy til I can breathe without coughing. 

Quest 2: Logged it all, and recognized things that need changed. 

Quest 3: Irish dance stretches done, and hourly at work, minus one day. 

Life Quest: No progress, busy homework week. 

• Like 1

Oh, man.  I hear ya on the sinus infection.  I've been congested and now have an ear infection ....  Here's to pushing through as best we can .... and taking control of WEEK 5!!!

4889e1e7ee998ad9f5f12e1ff613fa21.jpg

• Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

Are you feeling better already? I really hope you are, if not take good care of yourself <3 (well you should always take good care of yourself of course :D

Well, I pushed as much as I could, but I swallowed my pride and went to the doctor yesterday when I was coughing so bad I vomited at work. Not fond of taking pills, but I was able to do a full set of BBWW today, despite no real sleep for the past 3 nights. Here's hoping tonight knocks that out of the park. Anyway, week 5! Wow, only one week left. Crazy!

Quest 1: 3 days of BBW, although one was a "light" version. Up to a 35-second plank (could do maybe 10 when I started last year).

Quest 2: Logged it all. Added raw carrots and some cucumbers (wrapped in sushi) to my diet. First veggies I've eaten in 17 years.

Quest 3: Irish dance stretches done, and sticking to the hourly stretches at work. 

Life Quest: Tons of progress, and I hoped I'd be done in time to post a picture, but it's late, so I'll save it for tomorrow. I'm pretty excited that I got the zipper right, even!

• Like 1

The good news: I finished the skirt! A whole week early, too! 

The bad news: I don't think I like it.  :indecisiveness:

I did learn some things from the pattern, though, and it gets me one step closer to being able to make the skirt that I have pictured in my head, so yay, I guess? Anyhow, my gentleman was nice enough to take some pictures for me. Perhaps the skirt will fare better after a good washing. Eh. Better luck next time!

Skirt.png

• Like 1

I know it's not fun to go to the doctor, but it's a good thing you are taking care of yourself <3 

You are doing great this challenge!

Hope you're feeling better - the good thing is that antibiotics usually kick in quickly. 

I think the skirt is cute ... but see what you think after a washing.  And if it's not quite right .... the next one will be better, right???

Some sort of Jedi .....

Woo hoo, end of week 6! Let's see how things went:

Main Quest:  Keep a healthy balance between work, school, and hobbies. 

Nailed it. Got some play time in, got my homework done on time, and kept going on the workouts, despite some setbacks. 

Quest 1: Workout 3 times a week, either HIIT or BBWW. 

I was good on this right up til the last week, when the weather finally got nice, and I learned that turning over garden beds uses a lot of the same muscles that the BBWW does. The last week became: 3 days of gardening (an hour or more per day), 1.5 BBWW workouts, and extra bridges for the mini challenge. While it doesn't quite technically fit the letter of the quest, I'm still calling this one accomplished. Grade: A-

Quest 2: Log my food. All of it. Even homemade.

Done, and it drove home home little plant matter I was getting. That has definitely changed in the past month. Grade: A

Quest 3: Use the Irish dance warm-up and stretches when I work out to improve balance and flexibility.

This felt kind of like cheating, because it got to be not even a challenge. I love the Irish dance stretches, and hopefully, once we move, I can get back to doing some of the actual dances, too. I also added hourly stretches at work to make sure I wasn't sitting still too long. Grade: A

Life Quest: Make 1 skirt that I really like, and can wear to work. 

Well, I made one. The jury is still out on whether I like it or not, but it could be worn to work. This goal gets a grudging pass. 

Motivation:  Mostly As: Treat myself to a professional massage

Ironically, while it will be nice to get the treat, the real day-to-day motivation was that I was doing it. Many thanks to the people who pointed out that "challenge" means keeping going when you don't want to, not just when it's convenient to do so. I did hit the doctor's, and got meds that kept me moving and functional through the sinus infection, which is now gone. I feel stronger, I'm seeing new muscle lines (small, but still there!), and I'm definitely looking forward to the next challenge, which will absolutely incorporate spring planting and time at the garden. Cheers!

• Like 1

CONGRATS!!!  Virtue is it's own reward, but I do hope you get the massage too. 

Some sort of Jedi .....