Jill Beat puts her full ass into a challenge

Jill Beat

Okay, so like my title implies, it's been a lot of half-assed (or less) challenges lately.  Also to note, I think this is the latest I've ever posted a challenge, wheird.

Anyway, this challenge is going to be 100% commitment.  If you want to see changes, you need to make changes!  I'm really trying to put myself, and my health and fitness goals first.  I live by myself and don't have kids, so right now it's quite realistic to do.  

I know that in my last challenge I talked about trying AIP (autoimmune paleo protocol) but I spend a weekend ago prepping for it, and I don't think I can do it (right now anyway), especially because there is no "real" reason I really need to. That being said, here's what I'm looking at this challenge:

Goals

1) Whole30+ - For where I am right now, I think a whole30 is what I need.  It's strict (which I need) but not over the top (aka AIP).  I've completed one good whoel30, and my second one was a bust! I do like how good I feel when I do it, and losing weight that I feel like I never can.  

2) Exercise 3x per week - I teach fitness classes and therefore have a hard time working out for myself, but also the exercise I get in by teaching isn't very intense (because ya know, I have to demonstrate with great form, and be able to talk the whole time).  So I want to work out three times a week for myself doing quick, high intensity workouts, for me! 

3) Journalling - I made this a hard hat challenge a while ago, and by the end I really liked it.  Especially the crap that I'm working through right now, I think this is really what I need!  (more on my crazy-ish situation later...I have to run off and teach soon!).  

4) Prioritizing to work towards my career goals - this one is a bit more vauge and unmeasurable, but what I would really like to accomplish within this is completing my paperwork to get my P. Eng, finishing up my dad's estate crap (aka compile 3 or 4 years of taxes and take it to my accountant), and continue to purge crap I don't need in my house and paint the walls.  Basically i'm going to be moving across the country this fall to pursue my actual career goals.  It's scary as hell because I'm finally doing it, and not just thinking about it.  Other stuff that I would like to do here, but not quite as high on the list is: look into entrepreneurial schools where I'm moving, talk to people here doing what I want to do in another city, and looking for jobs in fitness that I could apply on when I move (ie. scouting out gyms and other centres to teach at).  

...more to come later, but I've got to go kick some butts now!

Tracking:

1) Whole30: 7/7 7/7 7/7 7/7 4/7 2/7 = 34/42 (81% A-)

2) Workouts: 3/3 1/3 1/3 0/3 0/3 0/3 = 5/18  (28%  F-)

3) Journaling: 7/7 4/7 5/7 5/7 5/7 5/7 = 31/42 (74%B )

• Like 3

Yess!!! You sound so determined, it's awesome. I really like your journalling idea, especially since your challenge thread seemed to be a helpful kind of journal exercise the last two challenges anyways! Also super SUPER cool to hear you are taking steps towards a career you will love (even if it's scary as all hell).

Summary: You are going to kick all the butts :D

• Like 1

Lvl 3 Wood Elf Adventurer

STR 9.25 || DEX 5 || STA 3 || CON 9.75 || WIS 12.75 || CHA 2

Challenges: Current || #1 || #2 || #3 || Artistic & Creative Accountability || Etsy Shop

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. --The Fox in The Little Prince

Walk to Mordor // 116 out of 1779 miles

Yesterday was good!  100% Whole30 even with a day of travelling, and snuck in journalling at the end of the night.  

Tonight I'm going to have to squeak a workout in, I think it might even just be push-ups to failure (from toes), and some planks.  

• Like 2

Good luck this challenge! Your level of commitiment right sounds so encouraging and is getting me pumped for even my challenge (which I should probably figure out...).  Moving closer to your dream career is so exciting.

What do you mean by Whole 30+? Are you adding additional things into (or out of) it? Or is that just what you're calling it since it isn't your first?

• Like 1

I'm sooo happy for you to have made your decision to just jump in on the career and move!

And of course, subbing for all the Jill Beat Awesomeness ;)

• Like 1

Challenges | Current |

Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | MFP

OOOOOOO SPARLY!!!  - Jenyne Butterfly (Shit Pole Dancers Say)

I need more Mighty Grip.  Do you have more Mighty Grip?  - Steven Retchless (Shit Pole Dancers Say) 

Obviously subbing!! :) Great goals!! You'll rock it!! 

• Like 1

Scout - Level 15 Half-Elf Ranger

STR15 | DEX5.5 | STA17 | CON39.5 | WIS18 | CHA10.5 

Challenges: Current Challenge #18 | #17 Part 2 | #17#16#15#14#13#12 Part 2 | #12#11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 Part II | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

My Blog | Facebook | My BeachBody | My NF Character

Spoiler

Lose 84 lbs (From 219 to 135): Current weight = 202.9

100%
19%

Walk to Mordor (Hobbiton to Mount Doom - 1779 miles) [so far: 1515.60 miles  - logged to 06/13/16

[progress=purple]85[/progress]

A lot of awesome here! Best of luck getting you PE! I know it isn't easy. Do you know where you plan to move?

Awww thanks!  I do.  My sister lives in the Vancouver BC area, and that's where I want to be.  It's amazing out there, and moving in with my sister takes out some of the stress of uprooting and changing your entire life at once! lol 

Good luck this challenge! Your level of commitiment right sounds so encouraging and is getting me pumped for even my challenge (which I should probably figure out...).  Moving closer to your dream career is so exciting.

What do you mean by Whole 30+? Are you adding additional things into (or out of) it? Or is that just what you're calling it since it isn't your first?

Yes you should figure out your challenge missy!! :)  Moving closer is exciting, but also super scary.  But moving away from at least the company where I"m at is also exciting.  It's become a big smelly pile of poop.  

Whole 30+ refers to doing it for the whole challenge, so basically a whole42.  But I would really love to try to make it 60 days, but I don't know.  We'll see! 

I'm sooo happy for you to have made your decision to just jump in on the career and move!

And of course, subbing for all the Jill Beat Awesomeness ;)

"Jill Beat Awesomeness" That has a nice ring to it!  ;)  P.S.  I started taking pole again (first class was tonight actually)  going to have so many inner thigh bruises! 

You are the best and so is your ass!

:redface:  :redface:   Awww!  Thanks sexy lady!  

• Like 1

Today at work really helped me confirm that I just don't want to be there anymore!  It was a "strategic planning day" and a complete waste of time.  The biggest problem with my company is that the 5 partners who run it don't have very good business sense.  They're all 5 very different people, but in a bad way.  Each of them can be wrapped up in a couple words:  1) Super lazy 2) Cheap as fuck 3) My opinion is the right one 4) Let's simplify this (but ends up making it more complicated and convoluted) 5) I actually have some idea of how to do this, but there are limitations.  Soo...yeah.  The funny thing is that they think there's a super high employee satisfaction level, and I know that about 2 whole (small, but real) departments are probably out there looking for jobs.  They're oblivious because there are definitely those who have drank the Kool-aid.  It's just a mess.  I can't wait to get out!  

Anyway, so my bigger plans right now look like this: Quit my job and move at the end of the summer.  Move from Saskatchewan to British Columbia and live with my sister for the time being.  My sister and her husband are living apart right now because of his job, but won't be thinking about moving until at least next summer (2016), which would give me time to figure out what to do about my own housing situation should they move. (Renting their house is maybe an option too).  When I get there, I'm not quite sure what I'll do yet.  Firstly, I do want to take some time off to be a bum.  lol  And enjoy it because I can.  When I graduated from school I spent 8 months looking for a job, and all the downtime wasn't fun because I had no money, no car, and wanted to find a job.  This time will be the opposite.  I'll likely take a "fun" job like retail - I do love selling!  And hook up some teaching gigs.  What I've started looking into is some sort of entrepreneurial program.  I know of a really good one where I am, but unfortunately I can't take it now because a) it's pretty much a full time commitment for 1.5 years, and B) you basically have to want to start your business in Saskatchewan.  They do have a distance option, but that's really a last resort.  I'm meeting with a woman who's gone through this program this upcoming weekend.  I'm going to see if there are similar programs in Vancouver, I'm hoping so.  If I can find a good program, I will be looking to do that, teach classes, and maybe work part time.  It's all very exciting sounding  I'm pumped to want to go back to school for what I really want to do.  

As for my business idea - it would be a fitness studio.  I would run a variety of classes (strength, zumba, step, interval/circuit, bootcamp, maybe bring in yoga etc.) and I think the demographic I'd want to go after is primarily 2 groups - parents with school aged children (a group that is highly neglected, and get so busy doing everything for their families that they don't do anything for themselves), and the kind of 45-60 y.o. crowd where their children have now moved out of their lives/focus and they have the time for themselves.  These are the people that I find typically showing up in my classes.  They're generally on the "deconditioned" side, and genuinely need attention.  I also like working with them because they're fun, they are generally unknowledgeable/mis-informed (anyone work with know it all clients? The fitness field is the worst because if they knew what they needed, they wouldn't need a fitness professional...so the customer is always wrong in this case), and this one is a bit selfish, but they see fairly quick gains.  It's hard for a highly trained person to see the same results as someone new to fitness, and it's like when a kid has a lightbulb moment and you got to be part of it.  Super rewarding.  

I want my studio to be an awesome community of support.  I want a place where people walk in and feel welcome.  The receptionist knows your name, and so do the instructors.  If you stop coming to the studio, I want to follow up and know why!  Maybe class times changed, or maybe you needed something we didn't have, or maybe something pissed you off, or maybe you just got lazy and a phone call from the studio staff is what you needed to get you back in the door.  Principles of other businesses don't get transferred into fitness businesses and it boggles my mind a bit.  I want to have customer appreciation events (probably focused around fitness - things like renting out a mini golf course/bowling alley/trampoline park, etc. or a free weekend class with a guest instructor, or something!).  I'd like to have a reward system where if someone comes say, 2x every week for a month, they get a free pass to bring a friend (ie. their continued attendance helps bring in other people - this works two-fold, they come regularly and see more results, and as a benefit, they tell their friend how great it's going, and then the friend can come give it a try).  In terms of instructors, I want my staff to feel part of the team (even though everywhere I've ever taught is always on contract - and my studio will be no different).  I want new instructors to mentor with current instructors for cohesiveness and training, but also to get to know your fellow instructors.  I want it to be part of the instructor's job to go to their peer's classes and complete peer evaluations, with maybe a bit of a self evaluation (ie. what does she do really well where i may be lacking?).  I also want instructors to have to do (annual) business evaluations where they evaluate me as a supervisor, and how the business is run, etc.  Too many places the owners/managers/supervisors don't have their staff evaluate them, and I think this is a huge mistake.  Another cool idea that I thought about as a bit of a perk, is a small library of health and fitness books.  Obviously, they would have to be books that I truly believe in the philosophy, etc. but I think this would be a great service for members and instructors.  At some point supporting services would also be nice - like a daycare maybe.  I would also want to partner with a good (primal/paleo based) nutritionist to refer my clients to.  With so much information out there, I would like to have a trusted professional that I could have a symbiotic relationship with. There's so many people that a conventional gym doesn't appeal to, and I want to help them live healthier and fitter.  I think this must be kinda how Steve felt when he started NF.  lol

As for goals today, I did really well.  

Whole30 - nailed it.  With this stupid work meeting, they brought in muffins, and lunch.  I ate the veggies and meat out of the wraps, and had brought veggies and fruit to snack on.  I made dinner, had compliant snacks.  The WORST was that I had to bake some cakes tonight for something I'm working on (photos to come this weekend!) and it's hella hard NOT licking the bowl, or a spoon, or eating cake scraps as you level the cakes!  But I did it.  Whooo. 

Work out - I had my first class of level 3 pole dancing tonight.  It was pretty tough because I literally haven't done it for over a year, but it was good.  When I got home I made sure I did SOMETHING as a workout (because classes I take/teach don't count).  So I decided to do push-ups to failure (from my toes) and got to 16.  Because these are "training" push-ups (as opposed to fitness testing) they were at a fairly slow pace.  I was pretty happy with that number.  And then I did 16 inverted rows to even out the pushing/pulling and front/back muscles.  :)  

Journalling - this will be my task as soon as I'm done writing this.  :)  

Onward and Upwards! 

• Like 5

I like how much thought you have put into this. Like I've said before I love the idea of running my own business! Hopefully I can keep at my day job until I am debt free, and then explore my ideas more. For now I will stick with my side hustles of photography, landlording, and buying/selling junk :)

So out of curiosity, why go through the hassle of getting your PE since you don't need it for you future plans?

• Like 2

Love the plan.  I just quit my regular gym (good life) because I just didn't like it (with the exception of one really nice yoga teacher) or mesh with how they had things set up.  My studio however, feels more like a community and I love it.  The stuff you've written down for your business sounds really good to me, especially for the employees and customer retention :)

And you totally deserve an award for not eating the icing/cake while baking.  SERIOUSLY HARD TO DO THAT!!!

• Like 1

Challenges | Current |

Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | MFP

OOOOOOO SPARLY!!!  - Jenyne Butterfly (Shit Pole Dancers Say)

I need more Mighty Grip.  Do you have more Mighty Grip?  - Steven Retchless (Shit Pole Dancers Say) 

You're doing awesome!!! I would totally join your fitness center if I was close!! It sounds like you have a solid plan and it's gonna be amazing!!! 

Scout - Level 15 Half-Elf Ranger

STR15 | DEX5.5 | STA17 | CON39.5 | WIS18 | CHA10.5 

Challenges: Current Challenge #18 | #17 Part 2 | #17#16#15#14#13#12 Part 2 | #12#11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 Part II | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

My Blog | Facebook | My BeachBody | My NF Character

Spoiler

Lose 84 lbs (From 219 to 135): Current weight = 202.9

100%
19%

Walk to Mordor (Hobbiton to Mount Doom - 1779 miles) [so far: 1515.60 miles  - logged to 06/13/16

[progress=purple]85[/progress]

That gym sounds absolutley lovely!  How would you make it geared at people with children pre-childcare?  Like a mommy and me sort of class?  Those always intrigued me.  Even though I don't have kids, just the awesome community idea you have makes me want to join your gym... come open it in NJ! :D

Great job yesterday not eating cake.  That is some serious will power.

I like how much thought you have put into this. Like I've said before I love the idea of running my own business! Hopefully I can keep at my day job until I am debt free, and then explore my ideas more. For now I will stick with my side hustles of photography, landlording, and buying/selling junk :)

So out of curiosity, why go through the hassle of getting your PE since you don't need it for you future plans?

Being mostly debt free (with the exception of my mortgage...but that almost doesn't count) is largely why I'll be staying at my job until the summer.  My car is paid off in April and then I'll have an extra ~$400/month to start squirrelling away.  

As for the P. Eng, a coupe reasons - If things don't work out, I have that to fall back on.  It would be much easier to pick up again if I obtained the designation vs. not.  And 2) I'm mostly there already.  I wrote my professional practice exam a while ago, and now it's a matter of a couple reports, getting them signed, and a form or two.  If I wasn't so procrastinatory I could have all those things done already.  That being said, it would also come with a raise, and who doesn't like more money for a few months before you quit to be unemployed.  lol

Love the plan.  I just quit my regular gym (good life) because I just didn't like it (with the exception of one really nice yoga teacher) or mesh with how they had things set up.  My studio however, feels more like a community and I love it.  The stuff you've written down for your business sounds really good to me, especially for the employees and customer retention :)

And you totally deserve an award for not eating the icing/cake while baking.  SERIOUSLY HARD TO DO THAT!!!

Thanks! I find that people quit gyms not because they don't need to exercise, but because they don't feel they belong.  At my place if someone isn't there for a while, when they do come back, we'll have noticed, and if it was a significant amount of time, we will have followed up.  Most things that succeed are because of good interpersonal relationships. Do you like service provider X? Are they just the cheapest or is there more to it?  Money only goes so far.  When your gym is a second home, it now has become your (unofficial) doctor's office, therapist's office, best friend's house, etc.  Like you said, your studio has more of a community feel and you love it.  That's what I'm going for. 

I grew up going to a great dance studio.  It was truly a second home.  I want that for my business.  

You're doing awesome!!! I would totally join your fitness center if I was close!! It sounds like you have a solid plan and it's gonna be amazing!!! 

Awwww thanks!  I don't always feel like i have a solid plan.  lol

That gym sounds absolutley lovely!  How would you make it geared at people with children pre-childcare?  Like a mommy and me sort of class?  Those always intrigued me.  Even though I don't have kids, just the awesome community idea you have makes me want to join your gym... come open it in NJ! :D

Great job yesterday not eating cake.  That is some serious will power.

Hmmm, the mom and tot idea never really occurred to me.  It's not really anything i've had much experience with (due to not having a baby!) but I do know that stuff like that does tend to go over well.  Plus that makes for good daytime programming (as those people are likely available, vs. people with a 9-5).  The biggest issue would be liability insurance.  Generally your insurance would cover certain age groups.  It would definitely be something to throw into the expansion plan.  

The great thing is that you don't have to have kids to be a part of it.  The facility would be geared towards anyone who likes group classes/wants to try them/is new to fitness and doesn't know where to start.

The not eating cake part was pure torture, but I managed.  I currently have another layer of cake in the oven that I'll get to battle with will power later.  lol  Luckily it's getting close to bedtime, and so hopefully that will help me resist.  

Today went really well.  I didn't get nearly enough sleep last night, and then woke up too early and couldn't get back to sleep.  So 6 hours it was.  I've been doing 2 unofficial things as part of my challenge - one is making my bed daily which has been going well, the other is not hitting snooze.  Since I stopped hitting snooze I do feel a huge improvement.  I would say if any of you are snooze junkies, kick that habit!  

Last night I had a tiny bit of "non-compliant" food.  I went out for dinner with a friend, and even though I looked at the menu ahead of time, I didn't look closely enough.  I ordered a steak sandwich with side salad (generally a good whole30 meal that's available most places - just don't eat the garlic bread of the sandwich part).  The salad contained some corn and a bit of cheese of some sort.  While the "rules" say you should start over, for me, I don't think this constitutes a re-start.  I ate in the spirit of the plan, and it really wasn't a big deal. 

Yesterday I made a timeline for "my new life".  I plan to list my condo at the end of June/beginning of July.  My last day of work is going to be July 31.  I'm going to set the possession date for the end of August, and spend the month being unemployed, being a bum, subbing more classes, cleaning up/packing, etc.  It's kinda crazy now that I"ve actually put a timeline to it.  I'm already purging and cleaning (partly because I like it) and doing things to get ready.  I did want to paint it (for me, but now also to move - and set it apart from the other units in my building) which might get bumped up the schedule so that I have more time to enjoy the new colours.  

Anyway, tonight I was back to teaching 2 classes on thursdays, it was really good!  Both classes were super fun and full of energy.  Time to shower & unwind! 

• Like 3

Being mostly debt free (with the exception of my mortgage...but that almost doesn't count) is largely why I'll be staying at my job until the summer.  My car is paid off in April and then I'll have an extra ~$400/month to start squirrelling away.  

As for the P. Eng, a coupe reasons - If things don't work out, I have that to fall back on.  It would be much easier to pick up again if I obtained the designation vs. not.  And 2) I'm mostly there already.  I wrote my professional practice exam a while ago, and now it's a matter of a couple reports, getting them signed, and a form or two.  If I wasn't so procrastinatory I could have all those things done already.  That being said, it would also come with a raise, and who doesn't like more money for a few months before you quit to be unemployed.  lol

Thanks! I find that people quit gyms not because they don't need to exercise, but because they don't feel they belong.  At my place if someone isn't there for a while, when they do come back, we'll have noticed, and if it was a significant amount of time, we will have followed up.  Most things that succeed are because of good interpersonal relationships. Do you like service provider X? Are they just the cheapest or is there more to it?  Money only goes so far.  When your gym is a second home, it now has become your (unofficial) doctor's office, therapist's office, best friend's house, etc.  Like you said, your studio has more of a community feel and you love it.  That's what I'm going for. 

When I say debt free, I mean 100%! I long for the unencumbered feeling of owning my home free and clear :D  Barring any issues, I am 6 years and 3 months away!

And the PE stuff all makes sense since you have done all that work already!

As far as the business goes, that sounds like and awesome place, but I do see one (potential) issue. Pricing. One challenge of running a profitable gym is that you almost have to have people who pay, but do not show up. Or you have to have prices so high, that people get sticker shock. I hope you can create that balance in your gym!

• Like 1

So fun reading your plans for your business. Sounds like your excitement for the future is rubbing off on your classes so they're turning out awesome :D 

Also, cool that you feel better not snoozing! I have a major issue with that...going to see what I can do ;)

• Like 1

Lvl 3 Wood Elf Adventurer

STR 9.25 || DEX 5 || STA 3 || CON 9.75 || WIS 12.75 || CHA 2

Challenges: Current || #1 || #2 || #3 || Artistic & Creative Accountability || Etsy Shop

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. --The Fox in The Little Prince

Walk to Mordor // 116 out of 1779 miles

When I say debt free, I mean 100%! I long for the unencumbered feeling of owning my home free and clear :D  Barring any issues, I am 6 years and 3 months away!

And the PE stuff all makes sense since you have done all that work already!

As far as the business goes, that sounds like and awesome place, but I do see one (potential) issue. Pricing. One challenge of running a profitable gym is that you almost have to have people who pay, but do not show up. Or you have to have prices so high, that people get sticker shock. I hope you can create that balance in your gym!

That is exciting to being that close to owning your house!  Congrats!

One thing that is great about the type of business I'm planning is that my overhead and initial investment is considerably lower than a conventional gym.  

Conventional gyms have to pay for: lots of staffing (trainers, desk staff for all open hours, cleaners, managers, instructors, and probably a more), equipment investment (treadmills, machines, free weights), maintenance of said equipment (machines and treadmills aren't cheap to keep up!), and the volume of equipment they must have is considerable.  Think about it: the cost of 1 piece of gym-quality cardio equipment to give a person a 30 minute workout is a high cost/client ratio.  Then there's extra's, like locker rooms (showers, steam rooms, saunas) towel service, tanning/smoothie bar, and all that other stuff, that is generally extra, still has to be invested in.  

A studio style "gym" is considerably more cost efficient.  Something with 2 studios, a front desk, a few lockers for valuables, a couple of washrooms.  Group fitness equipment is quite affordable - step benches, mats, free weights, tubing, etc. Other expenses include things like good sound systems, music licensing, liability insurance, etc (but big gyms have those costs too). And if you think about my 1-person to a cardio machine example above, comparing that with the cost of paying one instructor to teach 20 people a cardio class like zumba (where you don't even need any equipment) group fitness can be extremely lucrative.  Additionally, your staffing costs include contract instructors, and maybe a full time office person, a cleaner, (which, lets face it, this will likely have to be me for a while).  Unlike a conventional gym, your front desk doesn't  need to be open for all "gym hours" if you have a good website and online registration system, and clearly posted office hours because when people are there in the evenings, they're there to take class, generally not random drop-ins.  Additionally, there is the option to rent out studio space when not in use - in terms of having a few contract trainers that book the space for personal training sessions.  

Because you can have a lot of people serviced in your facility at one time with quite low costs, pricing isn't as big of an issue as perhaps if I wanted a conventional gym.  I do plan to have maybe slightly higher than "normal/average" pricing because you're getting more than just a workout,  it's a community.  That's what people need deep down, and that's why they'll stay.  Price is generally a small factor - once you can get people in the door.  

• Like 4

Week 1 Summary!

Week one went great!  Eating was pretty good.  I had a few things that would be not whole30 compliant, but I really did what I could with what was available.  We had meetings at work that had lunch brought in, so I did what I could in terms of eating the pulled pork (non-compliant sauce), tiny bit of caesar salad (dressing non-compliant).  I went out for dinner on Wednesday, the salad had corn and beans in it, but other than that, I've done really well.  

When I told my boyfriend I was doing another whole30, his exact text was "I started a whole30 as well.  Except my version includes eating 30 of everything. In whole"  *sigh*  LOL  But then I started getting ridiculous, in terms of "so...30 grains of rice? 30 peas? 30 cookies?  What about 30 steak and 30 potatoes?"  He makes me laugh. 

I do need to reduce the amount of sugar I've been eating via fruit.  Definitely hindering my process.  I am happy thought that on Saturday night when I was craving junk, I made a run out to the grocery store to pick up some nuts and fruit and veggies to snack on.  This week I bought some more veggies, and probably still too much fruit.  

I did manage to do some type of strength exercise, although most of my "workouts" were a bit of a cop-out.  But it's more than I have been doing, so I think it's still a win.  Both Saturday and tonight I did the "same" workout, and generally I wouldn't do this, but I wanted to squeeze everything in this week.  My workout tonight consisted of doing "walking planks" aka planks (full body, not from knees) where you go from a high plank on your hands, down to a low plank on your elbows and back up again.  And both times I did it until I just couldn't do it anymore!  It was good!  I could feel it pretty much everywhere!  I also did a lot of inverted rows to failure too.  Hitting up my legs is harder for me because I just don't have the weight at home to be able to do it quickly!  I think next week might be weighted single leg squats (maybe with y TRX).  We'll see.  

I also managed to journal a little bit every day, even if it was just really short.  I haven't been making quite enough time to get to it though, but last week was unusually busy.  Monday - teach 2 classes (normal) Tuesday I started my pole class, Wednesday dinner with a friend and then out to see my cousins gymnastics showcase, Thursday - teach 2 classes (normal, but had been swapped with another instructor for her class on tuesday, so this was the first week of 2 classes again), Friday/Saturday, working on THIS:

http://instagram.com/p/zsVxgIEYvJ/?modal=true

That is literally the most involved cake I've ever made!  

So hopefully this week will be a bit slower, but I have 2 morning appointments, and a proposal due at work on Friday, so probably not.  And the BF and I are looking to take a road trip this weekend, sooooo...yeah.  I do love being busy though!  

All week I had been a little anxious because I hadn't told the BF about moving (I wanted to do it in person).  But I did it this weekend, and it was okay.  I think too, because I kinda put it out there very matter of fact-ish, like this is what's happening and it's done.  The thing you have to understand is that me moving means we break up.  It's hard to say we're not serious because we've been together for about a year and a half, but we're not really.  Quick history - we've been friends since we met through work, my previous boyfriend wasn't cool with me hanging out with him much, so I didn't.  When he and I had broken up, current bf and I started hanging out a lot as friends.  Then we started sleeping together, and after a while the situation turned into...hmmm, we're dating now.  Which, it's great to be dating someone you're such good friends with, but it did kind of take out that fun part of dating, where you're all jittery and fluttery, etc.  There has never really been a lot of "romance" per say in our relationship.  When it comes to some of the other things about real relationships, it's just not there in ours.  I've never met any of his friends or family, it's still on the dl work, and there are a lot of other things I just can't put into words as to why this isn't a long term thing.  It's going to suck to break up, but I also feel like even if I had stayed, it would have happened at some time anyway.  He does sympathize with me about all the bullshit at work, and I've never hidden the fact that I want to move to BC, so in a lot of ways it's good that it's happening sooner rather than later.  

The only person that I still need to tell at this point is my mom.  She's still kinda mad at me (for something from 2 weeks ago), so I haven't really talked to her.  She's a hard one to read.  Sometimes she's a good supportive parent, but a lot of times she's more of a selfish child.  I don't know which one I'm going to get on this matter.  She used to be okay with me telling her I plan to quit engineering to work in fitness, but within the last year-ish as I talk about it happening sooner and sooner, she seems less supportive.  The good thing is that my sister is 110% supportive, and I have another couple of friends who are also super supportive.  Last week when I told my friend that I had planned my exit strategy and put a timeline to moving, the first thing she said "what can I do to help?"  

Anywhoo, off to journal, shower, and bed!  

• Like 2

Week 1 Summary!

Week one went great!  Eating was pretty good.  I had a few things that would be not whole30 compliant, but I really did what I could with what was available.  We had meetings at work that had lunch brought in, so I did what I could in terms of eating the pulled pork (non-compliant sauce), tiny bit of caesar salad (dressing non-compliant).  I went out for dinner on Wednesday, the salad had corn and beans in it, but other than that, I've done really well.  

When I told my boyfriend I was doing another whole30, his exact text was "I started a whole30 as well.  Except my version includes eating 30 of everything. In whole"  *sigh*  LOL  But then I started getting ridiculous, in terms of "so...30 grains of rice? 30 peas? 30 cookies?  What about 30 steak and 30 potatoes?"  He makes me laugh. 

I do need to reduce the amount of sugar I've been eating via fruit.  Definitely hindering my process.  I am happy thought that on Saturday night when I was craving junk, I made a run out to the grocery store to pick up some nuts and fruit and veggies to snack on.  This week I bought some more veggies, and probably still too much fruit.  

I did manage to do some type of strength exercise, although most of my "workouts" were a bit of a cop-out.  But it's more than I have been doing, so I think it's still a win.  Both Saturday and tonight I did the "same" workout, and generally I wouldn't do this, but I wanted to squeeze everything in this week.  My workout tonight consisted of doing "walking planks" aka planks (full body, not from knees) where you go from a high plank on your hands, down to a low plank on your elbows and back up again.  And both times I did it until I just couldn't do it anymore!  It was good!  I could feel it pretty much everywhere!  I also did a lot of inverted rows to failure too.  Hitting up my legs is harder for me because I just don't have the weight at home to be able to do it quickly!  I think next week might be weighted single leg squats (maybe with y TRX).  We'll see.  

I also managed to journal a little bit every day, even if it was just really short.  I haven't been making quite enough time to get to it though, but last week was unusually busy.  Monday - teach 2 classes (normal) Tuesday I started my pole class, Wednesday dinner with a friend and then out to see my cousins gymnastics showcase, Thursday - teach 2 classes (normal, but had been swapped with another instructor for her class on tuesday, so this was the first week of 2 classes again), Friday/Saturday, working on THIS:

http://instagram.com/p/zsVxgIEYvJ/?modal=true

That is literally the most involved cake I've ever made!  

So hopefully this week will be a bit slower, but I have 2 morning appointments, and a proposal due at work on Friday, so probably not.  And the BF and I are looking to take a road trip this weekend, sooooo...yeah.  I do love being busy though!  

All week I had been a little anxious because I hadn't told the BF about moving (I wanted to do it in person).  But I did it this weekend, and it was okay.  I think too, because I kinda put it out there very matter of fact-ish, like this is what's happening and it's done.  The thing you have to understand is that me moving means we break up.  It's hard to say we're not serious because we've been together for about a year and a half, but we're not really.  Quick history - we've been friends since we met through work, my previous boyfriend wasn't cool with me hanging out with him much, so I didn't.  When he and I had broken up, current bf and I started hanging out a lot as friends.  Then we started sleeping together, and after a while the situation turned into...hmmm, we're dating now.  Which, it's great to be dating someone you're such good friends with, but it did kind of take out that fun part of dating, where you're all jittery and fluttery, etc.  There has never really been a lot of "romance" per say in our relationship.  When it comes to some of the other things about real relationships, it's just not there in ours.  I've never met any of his friends or family, it's still on the dl work, and there are a lot of other things I just can't put into words as to why this isn't a long term thing.  It's going to suck to break up, but I also feel like even if I had stayed, it would have happened at some time anyway.  He does sympathize with me about all the bullshit at work, and I've never hidden the fact that I want to move to BC, so in a lot of ways it's good that it's happening sooner rather than later.  

The only person that I still need to tell at this point is my mom.  She's still kinda mad at me (for something from 2 weeks ago), so I haven't really talked to her.  She's a hard one to read.  Sometimes she's a good supportive parent, but a lot of times she's more of a selfish child.  I don't know which one I'm going to get on this matter.  She used to be okay with me telling her I plan to quit engineering to work in fitness, but within the last year-ish as I talk about it happening sooner and sooner, she seems less supportive.  The good thing is that my sister is 110% supportive, and I have another couple of friends who are also super supportive.  Last week when I told my friend that I had planned my exit strategy and put a timeline to moving, the first thing she said "what can I do to help?"  

Anywhoo, off to journal, shower, and bed!  

You have clearly put so much thought into your gym, its so exciting! I like the idea of renting it out on downtimes too, that would be good for the customers as well so they'd only have to go to one place even if they are taking a private training session or something. I can't wait to see this grow into a reality!

Great job on week 1. It sounds like things with the bf went as well as they could. It does certainly make it easier to get a super fresh start once you move though. Also good luck with telling your mom!

Sent by TARDIS delivery service. Apologies for typos caused by interactions with the time vortex.

So I finally got to tell my mom about moving away.  Let me preface this with yes, I know it's going to be hard for her because both of her kids will live 2 provinces away, and I've been so close for so long (lived with her for 6 years of university and then some).  BUT I'm sorry, can you put on your F*&%ing mom pants and be happy for me?!?!  Practically the first thing she does is say how much work I have to do before my August deadline.  And then asking me if the bf is okay with this.  Thanks for not being supportive.  This did make me realize that this has been a trend throughout my life -her not being supportive of me following a different path.  When I was in 3rd year engineering and hating my life I wanted to quit.  I don't want to say she wouldn't let me, but almost.  I feel like she feels there's a "right and proper" path for me and it's doing all those "traditional" things.   

I don't think she realizes how big of a deal that a) I know what I want to do with my life that will fulfill me and make me happy - I think this is a rare thing and not everyone finds it, and B) It's something I can actually make happen which again, even if people find what it is they want to do, they can't always do it.  And unfortunately I don't think it's worth trying to explain to her.  She's not a very understanding person.  I think she likes to think she is, but on the inside she's very judgemental and critical.  

Other than that, my week is going well.  My classes on monday night went well, I've been continuing to eat whole30, and I'm going to try to squeeze in a "workout" tonight.  I don't want to, but I do.  lol  I look forward to some kind of gymnastics/calisthenics/parkour sessions, and want to be strong enough to play and get something out of it.  

I've been keeping up with journalling too, but just barely.  But I feel it's one of those things that I just have to keep plugging away at, even if it's only 5 minutes before bed.  I think I might start to do some type of more focused journaling - gratitude, accomplishment of the day & something I want to accomplish the next, etc. because otherwise it's a lot of what I write here.  

Anyway, I'm super happy with how this challenge is going so far.  I'm loving re-connecting with the NF community.  It was definitely lacking in my life.  Unfortunately my new office set up combined with talking about quitting my job makes it difficult to squeeze in as much NF time as I'd like, but now it's almost more special because I have to make the time to be here, not just a convenient way to take up some of my day.  lol

• Like 2