I started in the wrong spot apparently, so, here it is.

Yul

I have decided upon 5 challenges.

1) Figure out how I want to roleplay my way through this. I have an idea, but I need to research back accurate back story (yeah, I 'm one of those). +1 Wisdom

2) Limit myself to a single can of diet coke a day. Long term goal is weaning myself off it entirely. +1 Con

3) Cook myself at least 2 entirely paleo meals a week. +1 Con, +1 Cha (everyone likes a good home cooked meal)

4) Practice lightsaber forms at least 15 minutes a day. Studying videos does not count for time spent. +1 dex, +1 str

5) Lifestyle- Make my 52 week savings challenge deposits on time. I have direct deposit, so I need to actually go to the bank and get cash each week to do this. +X gp

I will at some point write this up in story mode, as soon as item 1 is figured out.

• Like 3

Yul- Level 0 Werebear Fallen Jedi

"Screw the lightsaber, look out for the teeth!"

Hi Yul, welcome to Nerdfitness!  Are you working with the TPLA videos?  Your goals are clear and sensible :-)

I'm one of the Monk ambassadors.  We help out with the new people and keep an eye out for those who may be interested in joining our guilds.  We have a few Jedi types and Lightsaber practitioners running around the Monks.  I'll send them your way.  I hope you'll stop by the Courtyard and say Hi to everyone!  It's our main chat/hangout thread and is filled with much silliness.  I'll be keeping an eye on your thread.  Please let me know if you need anything or have any questions!

• Like 1

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Welcome to NF, Yul!  Glad to see another lightsaber practitioner here!!  I've actually been studying with TPLA myself for about a year and a half now.  It's awesome to see someone else here that is too!!  I'll definitely be following along and will gladly help any way I can.  

Like Teirin said, those are some solid goals you have.  Clear and concise.  For #5, since you have direct deposit already, might I suggest looking at setting up a direct deposit into your savings account?  That's what I do, and it's quite a bit simpler than trying to remember to go to the bank every paycheck to transfer money.

Looking forward to seeing this develop!  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Wow, is my right shoulder tight!

I have the first sequence cutting series down, now to figure out foot work. It can be done a few ways, but lets start with foundation before changes Yul!

I am also used to moving a weapon through space that is A LOT heavier. I wasn't expecting issues from the fact that the saber is so light. I also need to figure out how to keep the battery pack from shifting inside the hilt. Not a problem though, it isn't like I haven't already modified it once.

• Like 1

Wow, is my right shoulder tight!

I have the first sequence cutting series down, now to figure out foot work. It can be done a few ways, but lets start with foundation before changes Yul!

I am also used to moving a weapon through space that is A LOT heavier. I wasn't expecting issues from the fact that the saber is so light. I also need to figure out how to keep the battery pack from shifting inside the hilt. Not a problem though, it isn't like I haven't already modified it once.

Great!!  Which video are you starting with?  And which saber are you using?  There's a lot of variables that can change how they handle.  

For the battery puck, I've heard of all kinds of things to keep them still.  Wrapping it with some soft material generally seems to work the best.  A small strip of felt or something.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I have the TPLA video of Sun's Shii-cho form, and actual video of sun himself doing it.

As to the saber, I have an Ultrasaber Dark Sentinel LE without sound. I have added a custom saber shop choke to give it a bit more length and I have a new pommel coming in. That should solve most of my issues. Oh, and I have done some leather wrapping that helped immensely.

I have managed to keep the battery pack from moving by re-wrapping the velcro strap, and  I am going to cut some foam inserts to keep it from shifting back and forth within the body.

• Like 2

I have the TPLA video of Sun's Shii-cho form, and actual video of sun himself doing it.

As to the saber, I have an Ultrasaber Dark Sentinel LE without sound. I have added a custom saber shop choke to give it a bit more length and I have a new pommel coming in. That should solve most of my issues. Oh, and I have done some leather wrapping that helped immensely.

I have managed to keep the battery pack from moving by re-wrapping the velcro strap, and  I am going to cut some foam inserts to keep it from shifting back and forth within the body.

Good plan!  I started with Shii-cho as well, though I did the TPLA Shii-Cho instead of General Sun's.  But there's enough similarity there that I don't think it matter all that much.  

Cool saber!  I have a Dominix LE v3 myself.  It's amazing how the different accessories can really change how the hilt handles.  You might also try different blades too.  A 36" heavy grade blade handles a lot different than a 32" mid-grade.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Week one:

Well, at least I am trying? Some things have been easy, some things I thought were going to be easy weren't.

Know what I want to "roleplay" for this, but having issues writing it up. Never been much of a journaler or blogger.

Diet coke thing? So far, so good.  12 oz can seems to be a decent maintenance dosage. No trepanning necessary.

Finding the time to cook for myself has been problematic. Don't know why. It is something I enjoy doing, but it has been an effort. Only got one meal in, and that wasn't STRICTLY paleo. Need to work on that.

I have decided that I am not going to focus on going on a diet, but on eating more healthy. I fail at diets. Maybe not calling it that will change the way the electrons flow brain-wise or something.  

Lightsaber practice has been problematic spatially, as I have sloped ceilings in my home necessitating practice outside,  and it has rained a few days this week (yes, you northern types, I hear you groaning about weather complaints). Also, have rediscovered how my body works/ complains, after the shoulder that was screaming the first time I used it has remembered that it IS supposed to function as I am trying to make it do, and has decided to play nicely.

Savings goal met. Surprisingly, that was a struggle as well, not so much in the going-to-the-bank-and taking-out-the-money way, but in the wasn't-expecting-to-have-a-tire-delaminate-on-the-way-to-work kind of way. I have sworn to myself that I will not touch the "piggybank" until the 52 weeks are up, and I sticking to that.

So, new week. Continuing the challenge.

• Like 2

Sounds like a pretty decent first week.  Not everything went your way, but you've identified it and it looks like you're well on your way to figuring it out!  

Take your time with the RP side of things.  I've been here over a year and done I don't know how many challenges.  And I'm just now even starting to sorta-kinda get the hang of the RP thing.  

For cooking, I've found that batch cooking everything helps me.  I rarely have time/want to cook during the week, but if I cook a weeks worth of meals on Saturday/Sunday it's so much easier.  And it usually only takes maybe 2 hours, tops, to cook a week of meals.  

Best choice ever!!!  Diets are a sham.  Training is a way of life.  I'll just leave this awesome phrase here.  It's helped me a ton to remember it.  Hopefully it can help you too.  

libby-athlete.jpg

I hear you on lightsaber practice!!  We've got a couple inches of snow on the ground, so going outside to practice is interesting.  I'm waiting for the time I fall on my ass during one of the Dulons.  Haha.  Hope the shoulder keeps acting right!

Sucks that the tire blew out on you.  But I'm glad to hear you hit the goal as well.  Believe it or not, that's the biggest win of your whole post, because it was a challenge for your mind.  You could have easily said "well, the tire blew, so I guess I can't hit my goal.  Oh well".  But you didn't!  Well done!!!

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Bit of a surprise yesterday. A pleasant one for now.

As I was getting into my car to leave work I noticed an unopened can of diet coke in the cup holder. Somehow I had forgotten it was there and made it through the entire day without a headache. This means I haven't had a diet coke since about 6am Monday. The same can is now currently sitting in the refrigerator at work in case of emergency.

And I mean emergency. I plan on holding out for as long as possible.

• Like 2

Bit of a surprise yesterday. A pleasant one for now.

As I was getting into my car to leave work I noticed an unopened can of diet coke in the cup holder. Somehow I had forgotten it was there and made it through the entire day without a headache. This means I haven't had a diet coke since about 6am Monday. The same can is now currently sitting in the refrigerator at work in case of emergency.

And I mean emergency. I plan on holding out for as long as possible.

Woot!  That's a major win right there!  Keep it up man! 

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Thursday. Still in there.

Who ever thought that aspartame wasn't an addictive substance needs to read the withdrawal symptoms. Or get hooked on it.

I'm having some withdrawal symptoms (fatigue, joint pain, some depression), but I have been lucky as to no headache yet. I am finding that some of the problem is psychological, as in  that somehow I have convinced myself that I need one every morning.

Oh yeah. It ain't addictive. (Sarcasm Alert)

• Like 2

Thursday. Still in there.

Who ever thought that aspartame wasn't an addictive substance needs to read the withdrawal symptoms. Or get hooked on it.

I'm having some withdrawal symptoms (fatigue, joint pain, some depression), but I have been lucky as to no headache yet. I am finding that some of the problem is psychological, as in  that somehow I have convinced myself that I need one every morning.

Oh yeah. It ain't addictive. (Sarcasm Alert)

I hear ya, man.  When I was weening myself off soda a lot of the same things happened.  It's tough, but totally worth it.  Stick in there!! 

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Friday march 3rd, 2015

8am: Headache warning- We have the beginning of pressure behind the eyes and a slight pressure wave across the temples. Unknown at this time if it is eyestrain, allergies, or addiction.

1pm: Light headache warning is in effect over all of the cranial area.

2:21: Full headache is in effect. All plans called off for this evening. Plan to drive home safely, find cool, dark room, and vegetate indefinitely. Soldier through.

• Like 1

Friday march 3rd, 2015

8am: Headache warning- We have the beginning of pressure behind the eyes and a slight pressure wave across the temples. Unknown at this time if it is eyestrain, allergies, or addiction.

1pm: Light headache warning is in effect over all of the cranial area.

2:21: Full headache is in effect. All plans called off for this evening. Plan to drive home safely, find cool, dark room, and vegetate indefinitely. Soldier through.

Sorry to hear about that man.  You got this! 

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

End of week whatever it is. Two, I think.

Well the BIG announcement is that I have been Diet Coke free for a solid week. It ain't been fun kids, so do it while you still can. Feeling better, but I still have effects. I am so sluggish in my thought processes that I made a reference to Sapho juice being  an aspartame derivative. Of course I did this at work, so I was met with silence and cricket noises.

Am finally cooking at least twice a week. Also I am trying to get more locally grown food into my diet. My mom does a farmer's market every weekend with a bunch of local vendors, so I really don't have much of an excuse (my mom makes homemade low sugar jams). I just wish the guy with the local grass fed beef wasn't so expensive. And when I mean local beef, I mean I could walk to his pastures in about 45 minutes.

Savings goals are on track. Yay even a little rainy day fund.

Lightsaber forms...well this week I grade me a C. I wanted to do more, but the aspartame withdrawal brought on fatigue and joint pain. I got home each night and slept. I feel like a slacker, but I have been working on my saber. I will at some point post a picture of said thing as I have it MOSTLY where I want it now. Next purchase will be a heavier blade.

I haven't been an entire slouch, as I have been doing research into my next 6 week challenge, which involves saving for a sledgehammer...

• Like 2

Sorry for the rough start man.  But remember it's the long haul that matters.  You can come out of this way better.  And, the big news really is BIG NEWS!!!  Congrats on being soda-free for a week!  That's a great milestone! 

I hear ya on the saber work.  I haven't been doing nearly as much as I know I should be.  For me it's the cold weather.  I just turn into a hermit when it gets below, like, 60 degrees.  lol.  (I hate cold :D)

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Week 3:

Well, not a whole lot has gotten done.

As to goals:

I am cooking more, and eating more vegetables. So that works.

I have been off of the Diet Coke for 2 weeks now (or is it 3?). Absolutely miserable. Headache is over, BIG Thank You to whomever is listening, but the joint and muscle pain, including the ones in which I have to make sure I am NOT actually having a heart attack have not been a joy.

Have not been practicing. See above.

Don't remember my other two. See above.

I feel like a major failure at this point as I had all these goals to get through. I now know that for challenge two I need to limit myself to 3 goals at the most. I realize that the fact that I haven't had a DC in a while is a major thing all and of itself, and I did not realize how much of a daily struggle it would be. I guess at this point I am still working pretty much on just getting over the Diet Coke thing.

I guess I haven't been entirely slacking. Exercise, yes. But I HAVE been studying any of the Jedi philosophy stuff I could find. I think I have found my "way". It is canonical, and from a game I have played and enjoyed in the past.

Let me just say...Peace is a Lie.

• Like 1