Jkiley’s First Challenge: Allons-y!

jkiley

Hello, I am Jkiley and this is my first 6-week challenge.
I have been overweight most of my adult life. Two years ago I started the Paleo Diet with exercising and I was able to go from 248lbs to 198lbs. It was amazing and I felt great.
Last year my job got more stressful, and I fell off the wagon. I am back to 235.8lbs.

I have joined the rebellion to get my life back, and to start feeling and looking great.

Main Quest: Weigh < 200lbs in 6 months.

32.96%
32.96%

Start: 235.8lbs | Current = 224.0lbs. | Progress: 11.8 of 35.8lbs

Starting Stats

Weight: 235.8
Waist: 46"
Hip: 40.5"
Neck: 17.5"
Chest: 45.5"
Biceps: 14"
Thigh: 25"
Calf: 15"

Goal 1: Exercise

Start by doing cardio 3 days a week for the first half and add strength training to increase to 5 days for the second half.
I have been able to manage 3 days a week in the past and hopefully after 3 weeks I will have the stamina and motivation to increase to 5 Days a week.

95.83%
95.83%

Progress: 23 of 24

Measurement:
Exercise Days
A = 24 days
B = 20 days
C = 16 days
D = 13 days
F =  9 days
Attributes: +2 STR, +2 STA, +1DEX

Goal 2: Diet
I will eat Paleo at least 4 days a week and eat health consciously on the rest of the week. I will also limit drinking alcohol to 1 day a week in moderation if social occasions arise.

91.66%%
91.66%%

Progress: 22 of 24

Measurement:
Paleo Days
A = 24 days
B = 20 days
C = 16 days
D = 13 days
F =  9 days

Attributes: +3 Con

Goal 3: Reduce Stress
When I get stressed out I seek comfort in food. I will focus on getting a full nights rest (7.5 hours) each work night to be recharged and ready for each new day. I will identify when things are causing me stress and I will figure out ways to prevent them from occurring again.

100.00%
100.00%

Progress:  30 of 30

Measurement:
Sleep on work nights
A =  30 days
B =  26 days
C = 22 days
D = 18 days

F =  12 days

Attributes: +2 WIS

Life Goal:

I have always wanted to write scripts and I have worked on small projects with friends but have lacked the confidence to do it on my own. I will write a script for one video short  that is 5-10mins in length.

Treasure: Fitbit

Decided to make things a little more interesting. If all goals are completed with a A grade I will award myself by purchasing a Fitbit. 

I have wanted to buy one for awhile but I have been waiting until I have had a routine in place to make it worth tracking.

Motivation:
I’ve always loved the outdoors.  Right now I am in such bad shape that it is hard to enjoy the outdoors. I need to get into shape so I can have enough energy to enjoy the outdoors while I am still young.

Last Updated: 04/5/15 9:08am

• Like 2

JKiley
Character Sheet

Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Current (
May 8 - Jun 4)

Master Quest: Weigh < 200lbs

Start: 242.2lbs | Current = 225.6lbs | Progress16.6 of 42.2lbs

Walk to Mordor

759.95 of 1779 Miles

Log One

Yesterday was day one of my first challange, and it went pretty well.  I completed my first Interval Training on my treadmill and I am feeling pretty good today.
I was also able to stay fairly strict with eating Paleo, but I did finish off a the last couple handfuls of potato chips I'm my house just to get rid of them.
Last night I got a full nights rest.  So all three of my goals are pretty well in check after day one…

Hopefully I can keep this up.

JKiley
Character Sheet

May 8 - Jun 4)

Walk to Mordor

759.95 of 1779 Miles

You can totally keep it up! I know how frustrating it can be to totally fall off the wagon and feel like you've 'lost' all that hard work. However, you know you can do it, since you've done it in the past.

Since you mentioned healthy/mindful eating, would it help with the stress/boredom munches to get good snacks around the house? I'll shove an apple or some veggie crisps in my face if I must, and it usually curbs that feeling.

Sylph Spellblade | Level 10 STR 5.2 | DEX 4.2 | STA 6.2 | CON 11.32 | WIS 6.75 | CHA 7.3

17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Battle Log

Epic Quest!

You can totally keep it up! I know how frustrating it can be to totally fall off the wagon and feel like you've 'lost' all that hard work. However, you know you can do it, since you've done it in the past.

Since you mentioned healthy/mindful eating, would it help with the stress/boredom munches to get good snacks around the house? I'll shove an apple or some veggie crisps in my face if I must, and it usually curbs that feeling.

Thanks for the words of encouragement on my challenge. I love the idea of a healthy snack when the stress gets to be too much.

JKiley
Character Sheet

May 8 - Jun 4)

Walk to Mordor

759.95 of 1779 Miles

Log Two
The second and third days of my challenge have been going smoothly. 

Goal OneInterval Training was a little easier than I expected after my second session, I expected to be more worn out.   After the third session I still feel that it is too easy I will start increasing the intensity next week.

Goal Two: I have been able to stick to my diet plan pretty easy so far, even though it has only been 3 days.

Goal Three: I have been getting the enough sleep each night and haven't ran into anything too stressful at work. Next week I need to start showing up at work earlier. So I will start going to sleep a little earlier this weekend to prepare. 

Treasure!!!
LinkTreasure.jpg

I finally structured how I will award my attribute points once I reach level one and to make things a little more interesting I have decided to add some treasure to the challenge.
If all goals are completed with a A grade I will award myself by purchasing a Fitbit. I have wanted to buy one for awhile but I've been waiting until I have a routine in place to make it worth tracking.

• Like 1

JKiley
Character Sheet

May 8 - Jun 4)

Walk to Mordor

759.95 of 1779 Miles

Glad you are back on the wagon, as one of the recent posts said, "congrats-you learned how not to do it". I hope you stick with it, I think you can be a great asset to the NF community!

• Like 1

Challenges:

R: Winter is Here

20|19|18|17|16|15|14|13|R|12|11|10|9|8|7|6|5|4|3|2|1

“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” -John Galt

I think your on to something with the healthy snacking!  I find that having an orange or an apple when I need a snack will completely reduce my cravings.  Have you noticed the exercise having any effect on your stress?

On a side note -

tumblr_n3s59sN8Af1sep00so5_400.gif

Thanks, I think exercise totally does help reduce stress. Sometimes you just need that extra motivation to get started.

Also nice touch with the Dr. Who gif.

JKiley
Character Sheet

May 8 - Jun 4)

Walk to Mordor

759.95 of 1779 Miles

Log Three
Week one has passed and so far I am 100% on all of my goals.
If things keep up like this the remaining 5 weeks will fly past and my first challenge will be a success.
So far I have lost 2.2 lbs, even though I understand a good portion of that could be water weight, its a great feeling to see the scale going down instead of up for a change. I have been making a point of staying hydrated, so hopefully some of that is fat. I’ll see in a couple of weeks when I take my measurements again.

Goal One - Exercise: Today I increased the intensity of my Interval Training, I feel like I did get a pretty good work out. I will keep it at this level and reevaluate at the intensity end of the week.

Goal Two - Diet : I am on track with my diet plan. I have been cooking meals that have plenty of leftovers and preparing multiple meals in advance. I’m trying to make it almost too easy to fail.

Goal Three - Stress Reduction: I have been feeling very relaxed over the past week. As @thruhikemaine mentioned I think exercise has played a big role in this. Also forcing myself not to skimp on sleep. I haven’t felt overly tired either.

Life Goal: I have a story idea in mind for my life goal. A good friend of mine has agreed to help guide me through it,  from idea to outline to script.

It’s insane the big difference that having the Rebellion around has made in keeping me motivated!

JKiley
Character Sheet

May 8 - Jun 4)

Walk to Mordor

759.95 of 1779 Miles

EXCELLENT first week! I think by the 'too easy to fail', that you've set up healthy eating ahead of time and with excess amounts, so that you have those things to reach for when the snack urges strike. Setting up treasure for yourself is really good, too. Some people are really motivated by that 'shiny carrot', and it's great that you want a Fitbit. Your reward will keep you on track with the work that got you there.

Sylph Spellblade | Level 10 STR 5.2 | DEX 4.2 | STA 6.2 | CON 11.32 | WIS 6.75 | CHA 7.3

17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Battle Log

Epic Quest!

Hello there, just stumbled across your thread a week into the challenge! Glad to see you're doing well but thought I'd stop in and say hi and give you a follow because you have such a well structured challenge, with a Doctor Who quote as the title :D

• Like 1

Aquatic Elf

Level 2 | STR 0 | DEX 0.5 | STA 1.5 | CON 6 | WIS 6 | CHA 1

Challenges 1 2

Hello there, just stumbled across your thread a week into the challenge! Glad to see you're doing well but thought I'd stop in and say hi and give you a follow because you have such a well structured challenge, with a Doctor Who quote as the title :D

Thanks for the follow and the positive word.! You can do it too, Allons-Y!

• Like 1

JKiley
Character Sheet

May 8 - Jun 4)

Walk to Mordor

759.95 of 1779 Miles

looks like you're off to a good start.

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Adventurers' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Log Four
We are officially a quarter of the way through the challenge and things are still going pretty well. I did slip up last night after a long day at work and really didn’t feel like cooking.  The roommate was ordering Chinese food so I joined in on his order.  Fortunately, I can rearrange my meal plan for the rest of the week and still make all of my goals if I don’t slip up again.

Goal One - Exercise: So far, so good on the Interval Training. I think the increased intensity I started this week seems to be just about right. It’s funny how much more energy I have throughout the day when I exercise in the morning.

Goal Two - Diet : With the exception of the one slip up last night with the Chinese food, I am completely on track with my meal plan. Even with last nights flub I rearranged my meal plan and I am still on track to meet my goals this week.

Goal Three - Stress Reduction: I am a little disappointed in myself over breaking the meal plan last night. I wouldn’t say I am “Stressed†about it yet, but if I can get back on track I should be fine.  I have been managing to get enough sleep at night and work has been going smoothly.  Overall things are pretty good.

Everyone, thanks so much for the support so far!  If I feel the temptation to break bad again, I will goto the forums and read some other challenges to me help stay motivated.

JKiley
Character Sheet

May 8 - Jun 4)

Walk to Mordor

759.95 of 1779 Miles

Log Five
Weighed in this morning and I have lost a total of 4.4 pounds since the beginning of this challenge. I am very excited to be loosing weight again.

Things have been going great so far, but later this week I will be on the road for work and will be spending 40+ hours in a car. There isn’t any reason I shouldn’t be able to stick to my goals if I stay focused and don’t give into temptation.

I am still at 100% with all of my goals.

Goal One - Exercise: Interval Training is going great, getting into a regular  routine is really helping. Next week I will be adding the beginner body weight workout to the mix.

Goal Two - Diet : Good so far, I have planed my week so I can meet all of my diet goals even with being on the road.

Goal Three - Stress Reduction: Things have been great a I have getting plenty of sleep.

• Like 1

JKiley
Character Sheet

May 8 - Jun 4)

Walk to Mordor

759.95 of 1779 Miles

Log Six
Sorry for the not updating you guys earlier.  I was traveling last week for work and I got sick. I am behind a few workout and diet days.
I still managed to eat as healthy as possible and I lost 2.4 lbs so things are still going pretty well. So far I have lost a total of 6.8 lbs.

I should still be able to catch back up with my goals. I will try to level up tomorrow.

• Like 1

JKiley
Character Sheet

May 8 - Jun 4)

Walk to Mordor

759.95 of 1779 Miles

Log Seven

I have lost another 1.4lbs for a total of 8.2lbs total for the challenge.  Hopefully I can lose a total of 10lbs by the end, that would be awesome.  I am back on track with my diet and exercise but I am still a few days behind from being sick last week. I am going to stick with it and get myself back up to the A grade by the end of the challenge.

• Like 1

JKiley
Character Sheet

May 8 - Jun 4)

Walk to Mordor

759.95 of 1779 Miles