turkey_bacon breaks a sweat for her first 5k

turkey_bacon

Hello everyone!

I just joined and posted in the Recruit board, but it was suggested that I post my goal here:

Goal :

To running my first 5k on March 14. My personal record running a 5k by myself was about 27:54, which is about a 9 MPH pace. I want to take this down to 8:30/mile if possible. I'm planning on training 3-4 days a week doing intervals and maybe distance once a week, but the 5k I'm planning on running is in a little over 3 weeks. So I need to get going on this! I'm training in Denver and running at sea level in Miami, so hopefully this helps a bit too come race day.

My personal best 1 mile time is 7:47, so I'm not exactly fast in general. I'm following the 5k training plan of walking 0.12 miles and running 0.25 miles (although i'm open to suggestions) 2-3 times per week, and one actual 3.1 mile run per week. Today I did the following:

Walk 0.12 at 3.4 MPH

Run 0.25 at 8.5 MPH

I did this for two miles, and will work my way up to 3.1 at this pace. If anyone has suggestions about whether or not my training would benefit from maybe speeding up my walking or reducing the distance, it would be much appreciated, because I'm pretty new to training for something (usually I just jog until I get tired).

And of course, I rewarded myself with some turkey bacon after the run today.

V1EdH5q.jpg

• Like 1

-----

“The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of... We know the truth not only by the reason, but by the heart." - Blaise Pascal

I like to put in hill sprints when I want to improve my speed and distance. I am lower on the 5k training than you are, but I still think hill sprints or hard hill runs can benefit.

Have you tried following a C25K program? They have apps for that! yuk yuk. You can also copy and paste the info from a website and track it in your own way. That'll help you with your progressions. Not sure what week you would fall on?

Have lotsl of fun!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Oh nice, I've never heard of this C25k, I'll check it out. And hills are a good idea! I kind of wish I lived somewhere where it wasn't snowing like crazy right now so I could actually run outside..

Today I did the same thing (walk 0.12 at 3.4, run 0.25 at 8.5) but for 2.25 miles instead of 2. It seemed a lot easier than last time. But part of me is wondering if it's because I used one of the older treadmills and they aren't as accurate with the MPH setting...

-----

“The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of... We know the truth not only by the reason, but by the heart." - Blaise Pascal

It sounds like you can run 5k, but you're working on doing it faster, so C25k wouldn't be the program for you, it's for building up to running 5k.

1/4 mile repeats (400m) at or a little faster than your goal pace is pretty common 5k speedwork, so sounds like a plan! I did some of that when I was working on my 5k time (I aimed for a bit faster, because I was measuring with GPS which is less accurate than a track or treadmill). But you don't want to overdo speedwork, as it can lead to injury - do that once per week.

It can also help to run longer than your race distance - you've only got 3 weeks, but assuming you have been running ~3 miles, you could run 3.5 miles one day this week and 4 next week. And then do any other runs as ~3 miles at an easy pace.

• Like 2

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

I would just add that your progress will likely jump up significantly when you first start training. Then when your body is used to the new demands it will need more incentive to grow stronger. So look for plateaus and you'll be able to change things up and keep the progression moving in the direction you want. Great job so far!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Gah, today I did my 5k and it took me 28:20...slow! But I don't think I was completely pushing myself because I wanted to pace myself. By the end I sped it up quite a bit because I realized I wasn't that tired (my quads were getting pretty sore, though).

It sounds like you can run 5k, but you're working on doing it faster, so C25k wouldn't be the program for you, it's for building up to running 5k.

1/4 mile repeats (400m) at or a little faster than your goal pace is pretty common 5k speedwork, so sounds like a plan! I did some of that when I was working on my 5k time (I aimed for a bit faster, because I was measuring with GPS which is less accurate than a track or treadmill). But you don't want to overdo speedwork, as it can lead to injury - do that once per week.

It can also help to run longer than your race distance - you've only got 3 weeks, but assuming you have been running ~3 miles, you could run 3.5 miles one day this week and 4 next week. And then do any other runs as ~3 miles at an easy pace.

Honestly, for me it feels like the distance runs are way harder on me. But maybe i'm not pushing myself enough during the intervals...so when you trained, how many days a week did you run? I'm trying to take a least a day of rest in between, but for work I have to walk up this huge hill and it makes my legs really tired even on the off-days. It's great exercise normally but I don't really want to waste my energy on that sort of thing.

I would just add that your progress will likely jump up significantly when you first start training. Then when your body is used to the new demands it will need more incentive to grow stronger. So look for plateaus and you'll be able to change things up and keep the progression moving in the direction you want. Great job so far!

That's true. I'm trying not to get too excited, haha. And thanks!

• Like 1

-----

And of course, I rewarded myself with some turkey bacon after the run today

Mm, Turkey bacon.

Interval runs - they probably shouldn't be hard in the same way as distance runs in terms of pure fatigue but you should definitely feel uncomfortable (breathing hard) when you do the intervals otherwise you're not really stretching yourself.

And 28 and change isn't bad for 5k at all, so I'd you usually do it faster then you've obviously got a lot of firepower in those legs. Good job!

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

I definitely am breathing hard at the end of the fast parts, but after the walking I'm pretty much completely better. So maybe I could try going a bit longer than 2.25 miles today...

Yeah, it's not a bad time, but my goal is 8:30 minute/mile...but I didn't feel like I was dying, so that's good.

• Like 1

-----

Sounds like you can up the distance for a better workout. I found I had to really go until I couldn't. So if the training says do this 10 times and it is only mostly tiring, I go for more. Laughing as I fail to intake air. Weird love, running. Good luck.

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way