Battlescars: Taking the Dirt Road

battlescars

"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt"

What up, Rebels?

This is my first challenge with the scouts, and I’m really excited to get going!

I recently graduated college and moved from Boston, MA to Los Angeles, CA with hopes of breaking into the film industry. I’ve been in SoCal for a few months now, and I’ve developed an extreme love for hiking. There are so many gorgeous trails around here, and I want to explore them all!

So, on to the challenge!

Fitness Goals:

#1. Peak-A-Week

I want to climb one new peak each week during this challenge. I think that’s fairly reasonable. I try to hike on each of my days off, and I have a fairly consistent hiking buddy who I can usually drag along.

The hardest part of this will be going to new peaks. I like to repeat hikes, especially if they aren’t too much of a drive. But there are tons of mountains in SoCal. I’m sure I can make it work.

#2. Minimize Cupcake/ Ice Cream Intake

I work in a cupcake/ ice cream shop. It’s becoming an issue.

For this challenge, I’m limiting my ice cream consumption to once a week, and I’m only allowed to bring 4 cupcakes home a week. That will hopefully help both myself, and my roommates who have become dependent on the dozen cupcakes I bring home almost every time I close the shop.

I know that doesn’t sound like a great sacrifice, but I feel like we need to start small with the weaning process. The sugar addiction in my apartment is too real.

#3. Mix Up The Workout

All I really do to workout right now is hike. While that’s a great start, I want to add more to that. Bodyweight Training, Running, Yoga etc... So  for this challenge I want make a it a goal to have one day a week where I try something different!

Life Goal:

#4. Develop and Write A Short Film Script

Pretty self-explanatory.

I have the time now. I want to use it wisely.

Plus, I just really miss writing.

Well, let’s get to it!

• Like 3

Current Challenge

| Instagram | Tumblr | Twitter |

"Forget stardust, you are iron."

Writing!!! Woo Hoo

We have lots of writers in the Scouts. If you post in the Tavern, I'm sure you'll get ideas and help from many a Scouty Nerd.

New trails and new workout routines?! Smells like Spring is hatching in us these days.

Have a great time and let us know how the hikes go. Pictures if possible for extra credit!  :playful:

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Working in a cup-cake and ice-cream shop.... My God... Talk about temptation...

Good luck with the challenge. I love the mountaingoatery, and the film script sounds good. What kind of film is it?

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Writing!!! Woo Hoo

We have lots of writers in the Scouts. If you post in the Tavern, I'm sure you'll get ideas and help from many a Scouty Nerd.

New trails and new workout routines?! Smells like Spring is hatching in us these days.

Have a great time and let us know how the hikes go. Pictures if possible for extra credit!  :playful:

That's a great idea! I'll definitely have to post in the Tavern as things get going. :)

And don't worry, I'll have plenty of pictures for you guys!

Working in a cup-cake and ice-cream shop.... My God... Talk about temptation...

Good luck with the challenge. I love the mountaingoatery, and the film script sounds good. What kind of film is it?

Thanks so much!

I actually haven't decided what type of script I want to write yet. I'm thinking I might try to write something kind of sci-fi though. I feel like most of the time, I'm writing things I plan to shoot, so I write really small and simple to keep everything within my means of production. But I think I want to try writing something just for the sake of writing this time, and make it as crazy as I want. :)

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Peak of the Week:

Mt. Wilson

tumblr_nkg3hqzhUA1sakta3o1_1280.jpg

So yesterday was the craziest, most beautifully terrifying day I've had in a long time. My roommate and I set out to hike Mt. Wilson in Sierra Madre, California. The hike rounded out at just under 14 miles, which is twice as long as any hike either of us had ever done. It was an absolutely beautiful hike. However, we're both kind of new at this hiking business, and we still have a lot to learn. For example, we didn't bother to check the weather (because SoCal is always super warm, right?) and the temperatures were somewhere in the low 50s to high 40s as it got late. I was in short and a tank top and I was FREEZING. Also, we didn't pay much attention to how long it was taking us to get up the mountain, and we ended up hiking the last 3.5 miles down in the dark. We didn't have flashlights, but luckily the moon was pretty bright last night. It was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life because we had seen plenty of wildlife during the day, the left side of the trail was a complete drop off and we could have very easily fallen in the dark, AND we didn't tell anyone where we were going so no one would have noticed if we were missing.

BUT we're alive. We're home. We're sore. And we had a pretty amazing day at the end of it all.

tumblr_nkg3gdwI8e1sakta3o1_1280.jpg

There are a ton of radio towers at the peak used by all the major radio and television stations in SoCal.

tumblr_nkg3icKhek1sakta3o1_1280.jpg

I definitely laughed at this super cheesy sign when we started our hike, but now I can't stop thinking about it. Yesterday was one of those days that really shifts your perspective, and I feel like I learned a lot about myself.

tumblr_nkg3itGYl81sakta3o1_1280.jpg

This is my amazing roommate. I'm so thankful for this kid. Best hiking buddy I could ever ask for.

Also, bonus beautiful waterfall.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

OMG you are in so much trouble young lady! Wow. So glad you're here to tell us about how silly you were! Please don't do that again! lol You'll give me a heart attack.

I learned the elevation temp change when I was in California. I was doing movement exercises on 29 Palms base. One of the pilots needed help taking down the officer's get-away cabin in Big Bear. So we hopped in the helicopter and took off. We hadn't even landed yet and I knew I was in for it. I ran around the camp like a crazed Marine! People thought i was showing off, but I couldn't stop. I would have froze!

Pictures are awesome. And 14 miles aint nothing to sneeze at, nice work you two.

Cheesey signs are only cheesey the first time you read them.

Enjoy your weekend. 

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Quite an adventure! I think adventure is in that band somewhere between "bored at home" and "getting yourself killed" and you found that sweet spot alright.

Great pictures too.

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Quite an adventure! I think adventure is in that band somewhere between "bored at home" and "getting yourself killed" and you found that sweet spot alright.

Great pictures too.

I'm so going to pinch that quote :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

Skywalker

Progress woot: Skywalker's success

Character Profile:  Skywalker

Blog:  Just Get Moving

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!