Plitog attacks the Angry Birds

Plitog

I've subscribed to the emails for quite some time, but this is the first time I've signed up for a challenge.  I'm a 35 year old software engineer with a wife and a 3 year old son.  My son and I enjoy playing tag, basketball and Avengers (running around the house fighting bad guys) but I spend the work days mostly in front of a computer.  My recent health screening showed my blood pressure has gone up (120/90) so I've started cutting back on salt. No more eating out for me.

A couple years ago I started making progress on the Angry Birds workout but got out of the habit. I figure I will start there.

Main Quest: Lower Blood Pressure

Quest 1:  Increase Daily Activity.

I've had a Fitbit for about a year now.  So far this winter my step counts have been anywhere from 6,500 to 15,000.  Some days it's easy to get steps but others are a challenge.  My goal is to consistently hit 10,000 steps per day.

A - 11,000 steps, seven days a week

B - 10,000 steps, seven days a week

C - 10,000 steps, six days a week (9,000 on the remaining day)

D - 10,000 steps five days (9,000 on the remaining days)

Quest 2:  Watch the Sodium

I need to limit my sodium intake to 1500mg per day.  I've been keeping a rough running total in my head, but I need to log it to make sure I'm being accurate.

if (DailySodium <= 1500)

Score = A;

else if (DailySodium <= 1650)

Score = B;

else if (DailySodium <= 1800)

Score = C;

else if (DailySodium <= 1950)

Score = D;

else

Score = F;

Quest 3:  Battle the Angry Birds

I'm going to take another crack at the Angry Birds Workout.  I'll check my score at the end of each week.  For squats and pushups I suspect I'm on level 3.  Maybe planks as well.  I'm maybe level 2 on the back exercise.

A - Level 3 on all exercises

B - Level 3 on three exercises, Level 2 on the forth

C - Level 3 on two exercises, Level 2 on the remaining two

D - Level 3 on one exercise, Level 2 on the rest

Life Quest:  Things at work have been slow lately.  QA is a bottleneck, so tickets keep getting pushed to future releases.  There are lots of tasks that aren't QA-dependent but I often don't seem to have the motivation.  To try and solve that I've turned part of my whiteboard into a personal kanban board.  I'm hoping that seeing the work and watching the progress will give me the motivation to stay busy.

• Like 1

Very old battle log
Previous Challenges: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
Previous Mini Challenges: 2, 1

Assassin: Extremely competitive, tends to bust out bodyweight exercises when faced with waiting in hiding, and loves a good team vs team faceoff.  - Alexandrite

Thanks to you, I learned something new today! I had to look up a kanban board, and it looks like a really excellent system. I hope it helps keep up your motivation.

Out of curiosity, will you go back after the first six weeks to test your blood pressure?

Sylph Spellblade | Level 10 STR 5.2 | DEX 4.2 | STA 6.2 | CON 11.32 | WIS 6.75 | CHA 7.3

17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Battle Log

Epic Quest!

Great challenge. Blood pressure is an issue for me as well. I've found that sugar effects my BP more than sodium. And it also help if I eat at least 3,500 mg of potassium a day. And  the other thing that works is to be active, so that is great that you have a plan for that. Just thought I'd share some things that help me in case they might help you.

What is a kanban board?

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

@everanything - We picked up a blood pressure monitor today so I plan on checking it occasionally.  Interestingly, it said my BP was much better (119/67) compared to the health screening.  I was feeling a bit ill the day of the screening, and I was freezing in the room they were using, so maybe the original check was off.  I can't imagine a couple weeks on a low-sodium diet would result in that much of an improvement.  I may need to get a third opinion for further comparison.  Regardless, I think keeping to the low sodium diet is probably the way to go regardless of my BP.

@Elastigirl - I'll keep an eye on sugar and potassium to see if either impact my BP.  A kanban board is like a TODO list, only you have three columns for tasks - ToDo, Doing, Done.  To start you place a Work In Progress (WIP) limit on your Doing column.  This is to keep you from starting lots of tasks without finishing anything.  Having the Done column lets you see the progress you are making and maybe motivate you to get a few tasks moved over.  Ideally you would eventually place a WIP limit on your ToDo column as well.  If someone asks you to work on another task but you don't have room in the ToDo, you have to turn it down or remove something else.

Very old battle log

Assassin: Extremely competitive, tends to bust out bodyweight exercises when faced with waiting in hiding, and loves a good team vs team faceoff.  - Alexandrite

@everanything - We picked up a blood pressure monitor today so I plan on checking it occasionally.  Interestingly, it said my BP was much better (119/67) compared to the health screening.  I was feeling a bit ill the day of the screening, and I was freezing in the room they were using, so maybe the original check was off.  I can't imagine a couple weeks on a low-sodium diet would result in that much of an improvement.  I may need to get a third opinion for further comparison.  Regardless, I think keeping to the low sodium diet is probably the way to go regardless of my BP.

@Elastigirl - I'll keep an eye on sugar and potassium to see if either impact my BP.  A kanban board is like a TODO list, only you have three columns for tasks - ToDo, Doing, Done.  To start you place a Work In Progress (WIP) limit on your Doing column.  This is to keep you from starting lots of tasks without finishing anything.  Having the Done column lets you see the progress you are making and maybe motivate you to get a few tasks moved over.  Ideally you would eventually place a WIP limit on your ToDo column as well.  If someone asks you to work on another task but you don't have room in the ToDo, you have to turn it down or remove something else.

Wow, that sounds really cool. I will check into that more. Great improvement on your blood pressure. I find that all sorts of things  (cold, nerves, ) can make mine rise. 

With your interest in bodyweight workouts, next challenge when you are ready to level up and choose a guild, the assassins may be a group you would enjoy. I am an ambassador for the assassins.  Which means, we spy out for potential recruits to our guild, and will come by and cheer you on and answer questions. Feel free to PM me if you have a question, or need some encouragement.

You can go check out some of the thread of assassins and see the kind of things we do. Here are some links you can check out to see what we are up to:

The Assassin Guild Info & Announcements

The Assassins' Den guild chat thread (this is our hangout spot, come join the silliness)

The Level 1 Assassin Initiates Q&A/Chat thread (great place to meet other assassin recruits and ask questions)

The Assassin Phonebook 

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Regarding the SMART mini challenge

1) Getting my BP back to a normal level is certainly achievable

2) Each quest is small enough that they can be achieved within 6 weeks

3) Step counts and monitoring sodium are simple enough. I should be able to play a round of the Angry Birds workout a few times per week

4) Fitbit for tracking steps. Food nutrition info and a notebook to track sodium.  Calendar to track workouts and progress.

5) Grading is on A-F based on how close to the goal I get

6) Sickness will probably impact two of the three quests, but I'm not terribly worried

7) Nothing coming up, so I should be fine

8) Nothing should conflict

9) I already walk, so a few extra steps some evenings isn't a big deal. Tracking sodium doesn't take too much time. My three year old son enjoys running, pushups, etc. so I can get him to help me with the Angry Birds workout :)

10) More consistency and better tracking, but nothing significantly different.

Very old battle log

Wow, that sounds really cool. I will check into that more. Great improvement on your blood pressure. I find that all sorts of things  (cold, nerves, ) can make mine rise. 

With your interest in bodyweight workouts, next challenge when you are ready to level up and choose a guild, the assassins may be a group you would enjoy. I am an ambassador for the assassins.  Which means, we spy out for potential recruits to our guild, and will come by and cheer you on and answer questions. Feel free to PM me if you have a question, or need some encouragement.

You can go check out some of the thread of assassins and see the kind of things we do. Here are some links you can check out to see what we are up to:

The Assassin Guild Info & Announcements

The Assassins' Den guild chat thread (this is our hangout spot, come join the silliness)

The Level 1 Assassin Initiates Q&A/Chat thread (great place to meet other assassin recruits and ask questions)

The Assassin Phonebook 

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Very old battle log

Here's a summary for week 1.

Quest 1 - Increase Daily Activity. My lowest step count was Sunday with 11,030 steps. Saturday was the highest with 13,775. There were a couple evenings where I had to walk around the house to get those final steps, but I managed.

Quest 2 - Monitor Sodium. The first day I ended up with 1670mg total thanks largely to some "low sodium" ham that was only low compared to regular ham. Otherwise the daily totals have been in the 1370-1480mg range. I've mostly avoided bread because of the high sodium content, so yesterday I made my own.  Milk was the only ingredient that had any sodium (~4mg per roll.)

Quest 3 - Angry Birds.  I played a round yesterday.  I skipped Level 1 on three of the exercises since I knew I could beat those easily. My scores so far:

Squats - Level 2 -  :star:  :star:

Planks - Level 2 -  :star:  :star:  :star:

Pushups - Level 2 -  :star:  :star:

Back - Level 1 (15lbs) -  :star:  :star:  :star:

I'm not sure what weight to use for the back exercises. I started with 15lb dumbbells and have 20lb ones I'm going to use next time.  After 20lbs I may move to Level 2.

Life Quest - I set up my kanban board at work. Even on days where I didn't feel terribly motivated, I worked to move at least one item to the Done column before going home.  I completed five tasks during the week and have two more In Progress.  So far, so good

• Like 2

Very old battle log

Sounds like you had a really successful first week! Pacing around the house totally counts. I taunt/chase/wrestle the dog on my off days, it's fun and I'm still getting exercise. I like your happy gold stars for the AB levels. Keep on crushing those levels! It's really good that you're using the board to push yourself to get work done, even without the motivation.

Sylph Spellblade | Level 10 STR 5.2 | DEX 4.2 | STA 6.2 | CON 11.32 | WIS 6.75 | CHA 7.3

17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Battle Log

Epic Quest!

Awesome job on the sodium intake and double bonus on making your own low sodium bread.

Here's my week two summary

Quest 1 - Increase Daily Activity. I had one day with only 9200 steps, but the rest were all at or above 11,000.

Quest 2 - Monitor Sodium.  After the first week this was even easier. I tend to eat the same or similar things most days, so I have a cheat sheet with sodium quantities for my main foods.  Totals this week ranged from 1200-1470mg.

Quest 3 - Angry Birds.  I managed to play one round earlier in the week. Yesterday I spent the full afternoon putting together a climbing structure for our son. It proved to be quite the workout - I woke up a bit sore in my back, shoulders and arms. Fortunately it was the "I got a good workout" sort of pain, and not the "oh man, I can't move or it hurts" sort of pain.  Another day or two and I will be fine.

My current scores:

Squats - Level 2 -  :star: :star: :star:

Planks - Level 3 -  :star: :star:

Pushups - Level 2 -  :star: :star: :star:

Back - Level 1 (20lbs) -  :star: :star:

Life Quest - I was out one day of work due to the ice, and a half-day to watch the little one while the wife was at the doctors. I got a couple tasks done, but not as much as I would have liked.  At least I'm still knocking stuff off the list.

With the stars tracking my score, I keep running up against the 10 emoticon limit for posts.  Hopefully I never reach a point where I hit three stars on all four exercises...

Very old battle log

Week 3 Challenge - The Library.

1) The Angry Birds - Pushups Level 3 seems like a significant increase from Level 2.  Three sets of 10 pushups seems to be my limit currently.

2) Several have commented on the Angry Birds Workout page that they modified the levels to match their fitness level.

3) I'm going to insert a Level 2.5 with 35 pushups.  This will give me an intermediate goal to work on that will keep me motivated.

Very old battle log

Finally I found your challenge. Did you realize you switched levels from week one to week two? 2/3/2/3 stars and than 3/2/3/2 stars.

1) The Angry Birds - Pushups Level 3 seems like a significant increase from Level 2. Three sets of 10 pushups seems to be my limit currently.

Wow yesterday I was really happy to do five push-ups in one set with proper form. I really suck at push-ups and want to do at least 10 at the end of my challenge. For the body weight strength circuit I'm still doing kneeling push-ups.

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Finally I found your challenge. Did you realize you switched levels from week one to week two? 2/3/2/3 stars and than 3/2/3/2 stars.

Wow yesterday I was really happy to do five push-ups in one set with proper form. I really suck at push-ups and want to do at least 10 at the end of my challenge. For the body weight strength circuit I'm still doing kneeling push-ups.

I hadn't noticed the pattern of stars actually :)

For me the back exercise has been the hardest.  I'm still at level one (one-arm dumbbell rows.)  I can do chin-ups, but have a ways to go before getting a pull-up.

Very old battle log

Week three summary

Quest 1 - Increase Daily Activity. I still have a few steps to get before bed, but the rest of the week has been between 11k and 19k steps.  It certainly helps when my co-workers are in the office and we can work on design/architecture while walking.

Quest 2 - Monitor Sodium.  Pretty much the same as last week.  My daily routine may be dull, but it makes it much easier to track.

Quest 3 - Angry Birds.  Two rounds this week was enough to level up in squats and planks.  I'm going to add a Level 2.5 to my pushups to stay motivated and keep making progress.

Squats - Level 3 -  :star: :star: :star:

Planks - Level 3 -  :star: :star: :star:

Pushups - Level 3 -  :grumpy:

Back - Level 1 (20lbs) -  :star: :star: :star:

Life Quest - Spent part of the week working on a new build/deployment server so motivation was a bit easier to come by.  This weekend I came up with a lot of ideas for quick improvements, so hopefully I'll be able to implement a few of them this coming week.

Made it in 10 emoticons.  Safe for another week <insert smiley here... dang, needed an 11th smiley...>

• Like 1

Very old battle log

Made it in 10 emoticons. Safe for another week <insert smiley here... dang, needed an 11th smiley...>

In other forums I worked around such restrictions with adding other smileys as images.

Your week looks fine. I'm looking forward to our next three weeks. ^^

STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Good job!  The push-up progress will come.... they're tough!

Don't forget to reward your hard work by leveling up!

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Finally leveling up (this week's been busy)

Goal allocation

Q1: Increase Daily Activity (STA +2, CON +1)

Q2: Monitor Sodium (CON +2, WIS + 1)

Q3: Angry Birds  (STR +2)

LQ: Kanban (CHA+1, WIS+1)

Mid-challenge summary

Q1: Made 11k steps all but 2 days = A (90%)

Q2: One high day but otherwise good = A (90%)

Q3: Back exercises need a lot of work = C (70%)

LQ: Board is up, motivation is somewhat improved = B (80%)

Challenge allocation

Q1: A (90%) = 1.8 STA and 0.9 CON

Q2: A (90%) = 1.8 CON and 0.9 WIS

Q3: C (70%) = 1.4 STR

LQ: B (80%) = 0.8 CHA and 0.8 WIS

Stats

STR 1.4 | STA 1.8 | DEX 0 | CON 2.7 | WIS 1.7 | CHA 0.8

Very old battle log

Jay for Level Up! :)

• Like 1

Spoiler

Only one week left :)

• Like 1

Spoiler

Things have been busy and I realized I've not posted any further progress.  This is a summary of weeks 4 and 5.

Quest 1: Increased Activity - This one has been lacking lately.  There are a number of projects going on at work, so we haven't had as much opportunity to walk during the day.  The evenings are dependent on whether there are any chores needing to be done (dishes, taxes, etc.)  I also spent a couple days doing little thanks to allergies.  It's easy to keep up a high activity level when nothing is going on  :)

Quest 2: Slash the Sodium - Piece of cake. (Cake... that sounds good right now...) My wife did buy some crab meat that was overly salty, so I was 200-300mg over one day.  Otherwise I've kept to my limits.

Quest 3: Angry Birds - Finally moved to level 2 on the back exercises.  Pushups are stuck at level 2.5 (35 pushups).  Squats are level 3 and Planks I think are level 4.  Kinda getting bored with this one, so I think I will use the BBWW for the next challenge.

Very old battle log

So what's your resume? Do you want to start your first challenge with a guild in april?

Spoiler