Leave the sword, take the tiara - Tzippi's Princess Challenge

Catching up on your progress, haha BASKETBALL IS SERIOUS AND POSSIBLY DEADLY BUSINESS!!  (kowai~)

I'm so bad at basketball.  I'm also 5'3" so yeah.

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

Okay, so catching up from . . . last Thursday? Oy.

Thursday night was Sabaku no Hana, for the first time in a long time, and the second time ever. I had a smaller group, but new music, so yay! We reviewed and expanded upon the things we did before -  went back from hip figure 8s to hip slides, and introduced a step to move with hip slides. From shoulder shimmies, introduced snake arms. From belly rolls, stepped back to body waves. From 3/4 shimmies, moved back to hip bumps, and introduced some cabaret-style pose/bump combos, and the "wedding walk" (that's what my first teacher called it - who knows.)

We then did our first ever trial of Tribal style leadership and following, and they did really well! I think, however, I need to decide now whether to do a strict tribal thing or keep it to more choreography-based semi-cabaret style. Right now, I worry it would be too confusing for them, what they can and can't use in formation. Dunno. I'll ask the other belly dancer (she just moved here from Romania!)

so after that was the over-the-weekend trip to Korea, which was actually a lot of frustration, with some really fun moments in it. We went on a wonderfully beautiful hike in Ulsan in Daewangam park, which has a trail following the coat, then a series of bridges to get out to some really cool rocks in the sea.

33535950.jpg

There's a legend about another rock somewhere in Korea, where a king decided (kind of King Arthur-style), to not die, but rather become a dragon and sleep below this big rock to protect Korea in its time of need. His queen decided to do the same thing, and settled herself under this rock in Ulsan.

20140722-IMG_0477.jpg

So that was good. Unfortunately, finding vegetarian food was really hard, so we only ate Korean food three times, otherwise having Indian or vaguely Western-style. Lack of planning led to a lot of standing around not knowing what to do and searching for places to eat. Also, I like spicy, but maybe my stomach's not used to it anymore. However, I like kimchi, and intend to get a jar to be able to make some soon. It has all the good of sauerkraut, with the added bonuses of garlic, spicy, and umami (usually from fish sauce or oysters, I may just use kelp powder or some other seaweed).

Saturday (the day we hiked), we beat 15,000 steps, and Sunday we almost made 10,000! (and it didn't count my dancing around during karaoke, because my phone was in my purse). But Friday and Monday were long days of travel, going from train to bus to plane, to another plane, to bus, to taxi on the way there. Then from subway to train to taxi to plane, to another plane, to bus to train home. Also, lots of bad carbs and worthless calories those days.

I tried to resist weighing myself this morning, but I did it anyway, and was disappointed to see 71.4. But at least I am now home, and better able to choose my food and schedule time to work out when I want to. No tea ceremony tonight, so i will do bodyweight, then I can run tomorrow before Taiko. Then Sabaku no Hana on Thursday, and we'll try to whittle back down and see about how my quest for a pull-up is progressing.

But in other OTHER news, IT'S ALMOST PASSOVER!

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?!? I haven't been talking about religion much, since the guest we currently have is an Atheist of the "snotty" variety, and a little socially inept, so I don't dare mention anything about it, because he says something that he thinks is funny or "just true" and I find very hurtful and cruel. So it hasn't been on my radar. I really want to have a seder, with a few guests. It will be really hard, and my first seder, and made up of mostly people who have never been to one, but I really REALLY want to do it. Unfortunately, I think that means making my own matzah by hand and trying to fit G-d only knows how many people into my house. So i don't know. I can do the baking and cooking at school, if I need to, but the actual sitting down to table of more than maybe five people may be impossible, and I don't want to inconvenience someone else. There are rooms at the convention center, but it would be so . . . Not homey. I dunno.

• Like 1

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

I love the idea of you hosting a seder, as best you can, from your house. I was raised Catholic and once got invited to a friend's seder. It was really wonderful to get to share her cultural/religious celebration (of course sharing much of the same religious history, so a lot of the elements were familiar). If you have any Christian friends that you would want to invite, it could be useful to point out to them that many people think the Last Supper was a seder (I didn't know that until someone told me, and it made it much easier for me to relate to it).

I know there are a lot of things you would have to do to make it "perfect," but I would say, keep it as small as possible, simplify where you can, and just go for it. 

I'm sorry your house guest wasn't more open-minded and respectful of your religious beliefs.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

South Korea is seriously on my bucket list of places to visit.  So cool you got to experience it!!

I definitely love the idea of you having a seder as well - something traditional that's special to you with lots of meaning, especially while you're away from home.  Having it at your place would be much cozier IMO, if you only had a few folks over for something small?  You seem enthusiastic about it, so why not?!  :)

• Like 1

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...

»  kom starkru

Whoo hoo!

Okay, yesterday was lovely. I went home, went for a short run, then headed out to taiko, (Okay, I had dinner between - adai, scrambled eggs, broccoli and salsa). Taiko was so great! I kept up wioth almost all of the first song, Hanakoma, and was catching on to the first two segments of the new one as well as anyone else who hadn't played before! it was so much fun, and I really got worked up and into it! Yay taiko!

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM!!

So that was great. And today, a student came in, and i helped her with some of the more complex taiko beats, and she helped me with tea ceremony (she's the Australian exchange student).

And tonight is Sabaku no Hana! It's been rough, with guests underfoot (literally sleeping in my kitchen), but after this Monday I have several weeks before any more guests, and they will be, reasonably, staying at hotels. so yay! And the weather is nice, and I feel GOOD!

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM!!

I know it's silly, but it's such an earworm.

• Like 3

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

I haven't caught up on everything, and it is totally almost end of challenge already, but I wanted to wish you good luck and say hi!

- Sent from my magic Navi-powered device!

Brain-Building Assassin, a.k.a Radical Domestic Jill-of-All-Trades

Battle Log | Challenges: Current |18 |17 |16 |15 |14 |13 |12 |11 |109 | 87 | 65432 | 1  

Isaiah 40:30-31

Wow. Since last check-in on Thursday, I went for one short run, had a day of hiking around town (including to the lovely Shiminomori park, on a big hill overlooking town), and one day of more-or-less solid Pathfinder (my gnome Pashri Rhombalala got all scratched up getting magic anti-withdrawal berries for an NPC, and moved her all the way to helpful!)

Anyway, it's been mostly good, but today's the last day of having a guest and I'm kind of relieved. It wasn't the perfect visit, in part because it failed the Jane Austen seal of approval "perfect, in being much too short". A month is a long visit. Anyway, he's heading out about the same time or slightly before I get home from work, so I said goodbye this morning. I'm kind of exhausted, but will make myself do something this afternoon to exercise - maybe bodyweight in the park if the weather stays fine, or a short run. Then making a big batch of curry for the week and finishing sewing the lining for my red skirt (I almost never wear it, because it rides up. I'm hand-sewing a lining for it which should get it into the regular rotation)

Anyway, this challenge has not gone very well, and i know it. But I can still blow this last week out of the water! So I hereby resolve:

* six workouts between today and Sunday the 5.

* greens every day

* keep the desserts under control for one week. RLY.

* stretch every night (should be easier, with my kitchen floor back)

* wake up and do some movement before work at least twice this week.

• Like 3

I love having guests but I also equally love having my space (and time) back.  Glad you're ready to RAAAWWRRR at Week 6 and finish strong!!!

(Aaaand now I have the Vengaboys in my head.  Do you remember those awful Six Flags commercials with the old man dancing to We Like to Party???  AUUGGHH stuck in my head!  DANCE PARTY TIME!)

»  kom starkru

Wow. Since last check-in on Thursday, I went for one short run, had a day of hiking around town (including to the lovely Shiminomori park, on a big hill overlooking town), and one day of more-or-less solid Pathfinder (my gnome Pashri Rhombalala got all scratched up getting magic anti-withdrawal berries for an NPC, and moved her all the way to helpful!)

Anyway, it's been mostly good, but today's the last day of having a guest and I'm kind of relieved. It wasn't the perfect visit, in part because it failed the Jane Austen seal of approval "perfect, in being much too short". A month is a long visit. Anyway, he's heading out about the same time or slightly before I get home from work, so I said goodbye this morning. I'm kind of exhausted, but will make myself do something this afternoon to exercise - maybe bodyweight in the park if the weather stays fine, or a short run. Then making a big batch of curry for the week and finishing sewing the lining for my red skirt (I almost never wear it, because it rides up. I'm hand-sewing a lining for it which should get it into the regular rotation)

Anyway, this challenge has not gone very well, and i know it. But I can still blow this last week out of the water! So I hereby resolve:

* six workouts between today and Sunday the 5.

* greens every day

* keep the desserts under control for one week. RLY.

* stretch every night (should be easier, with my kitchen floor back)

* wake up and do some movement before work at least twice this week.

Week 5/6 retrospective

I ran twice, did one BW, one taiko, and two long walks. I'm going to count it.

Greens every day but one.

desserts . . . hahahahahahaha! No.

Stretch - every night but one

stretching and sun salutation two days.

All in all, this challenge taught me that I need to be way more flexible, and to really cherish the time I have on my own and with my husband. I'm going to look back over and determine how many "points" were earned, but I'm less excited about leveling than I was before. I intend to do the next challenge, and try to up my personal development somewhat, too. Passover is reminding me of how much Jewish observance means to me.

Anyway, well done, everybody! Catch you on the flipside!

• Like 2

Here's my run from Saturday - I started off doing the South fork, but diverted up a hill toward the big cemetery. Sakura, bamboo, and headstones. how much symbolism can I fit in one picture?

DSC_1059_zpslx1uu0wb.jpg

I  then got myself kind of lost, and went down a road that took me out of the cemetery and down the hill! I found this little park with big vase-looking sculptures in it. 

DSC_1063_zpsgp97ef24.jpg

Also, daikon radishes which are left out after harvest start to look a little Lovecraftian . . . or like alchemy reagents from Skyrim . . .

DSC_1061_zps5pgukoci.jpg

• Like 1

Well, looking back on this challenge, I did better than I thought! One of the big problems this time around was how little I posted and kept up with the boards. I ended up feeling like I'd done very little, when in fact, I did a lot!

I got at least four workouts every week, and some weeks, got six! Going back to BW after a long absence, I did better than I'd expected to, though I have some L-R imbalance that is making me overuse my right tricep, I think. Need to work on that - get more weight on my left arm.

I woke up at a reasonable hour for how late I was staying up, so while I did very few morning movement sessions or anything like, I got decent sleep, all things considering.

Greens were eaten constantly, though i missed a few days. And when not greens, there was lots of veg, so that was good!

Sweets were still a problem, so I'm tabling that for now. I may not be ready/actually care enough about cutting back my sugar more yet, hence the utter and complete fail of the last two challenges re: sugar.  Sweets are also really wrapped up in how my husband and I do nice things for each other, so it's hard to just cut it out completely. Lots of excuses, in other words. At least this week should be better - it's Passover, and baked goods are my Achilles' Heel more than candy.

Stretching didn't happen as often as I'd like, but I am seeing the difference in how I feel, and a few of my stretches are deeper than ever before!  

And I made my own matzah for Passover! It was a lot of work, but pretty fun. Next year will be so much easier, because I'll have help (the 18 minute deadline is killer, when you're working on your own).And I have a guest for Saturday's seder.

So all in all, I'm rather pleased. I'm giving myself points, which adds +1Str, +2Dex, +1Sta, +2 Con, and +2 Wis, and raises me to Level 4! 

• Like 3

It looks like you are making steady progress.  I appreciate your pictures from your runs -- your adventures are inspiring.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

YAY you did end up making your own matzah!  Awesome!! :D

I too love seeing your run photos.  Those radishes are pretty Lovecraftian!  (Daikon'thulu?)

»  kom starkru

New challenge here, or in my "current" signature tag

I have three guests for Saturday's seder! It'll be a bit of a squeeze in our small place, but so much the better. Menu is:

Vegetarian "chopped liver" with crudite's (I don't know how to put an accent aigu on with this keyboard)

Salad (either Israeli or basic green)

Lentil soup

Roasted spring vegetables atop a lemon quinoa pilaf

Matzah (natch)

Macaroons with fresh fruit

Wine

• Like 3

I have three guests for Saturday's seder! It'll be a bit of a squeeze in our small place, but so much the better. Menu is:

Vegetarian "chopped liver" with crudite's (I don't know how to put an accent aigu on with this keyboard)

Salad (either Israeli or basic green)

Lentil soup

Roasted spring vegetables atop a lemon quinoa pilaf

Matzah (natch)

Macaroons with fresh fruit

Wine

YAY!!!

This meal sounds wonderful!  (Lemon quinoa pilaf sounds pretty amazing TBH!)

»  kom starkru