JeepN3rd going the distance

JeepN3rd

This will be my second 6 week challenge, the first was successfully completed as a new recruit and I spent quite a bit of time thinking about my "class."

Looking at my final post for the recruit challenge, the only stat bump that I rewarded myself with was CON.  I was pretty consistent with my walking / hiking and that is my primary daily activity and thus the reason I think that I fit in here.

Just to tell you a bit more about me, I have been overweight my entire life and in September 2011 I had the gastric bypass surgery.  I started my weight loss journey at 355 pounds and I am currently 201.

In spring 2012 I decided to try running a 5k, and did the Couch to 5k program/app to train and it was great.  I did a 5k Mud Run with obstacles in June 2012 and my first road course 5k in July 2012 (35:44)

In 2013 I was doing CrossFit and on a Saturday about April I decided to see if this cross training stuff was working and went out for a run.  I ended up doing 5.5 miles, a new PR!

So if you are setting big goals, a half marathon was a pretty big deal coming from a 5k.  Within a week or two though I figured out that was not a big enough stretch, I was already running 8+ miles on a Saturday.  So, October 2013 was a full marathon and that become the destination.  

I trained for the marathon using the Galloway Run/Walk/Run system and usually averaged 13 minute miles for my really long runs.  On race day my legs started cramping up after the run portions after mile 18 and I would have to stop, work out the muscle, stretch, walk a bit and start my next run and then cramps again at the end!  So I figured out a good fast walk would get me there and so I completed those 26.2 miles on a COLD Saturday afternoon at 6:36.  I was one of the last finishers, but I completed the full race!  (Got the Tattoo afterwards too!)

2014 was a wash, only ran occasionally, 5k was a pretty normal morning routine and maybe 5-6 miles on a weekend run at most.  I had gotten down to 195 when training for the marathon and my weight crept back up slowly to 220.

November 2014 decided to get my diet correct, went Paleo and started doing body weight exercises, some elliptical, etc.  Jan 2015, six week challenge here, and I have dropped back down to 201 as of this weekend.

Immediate goals, registered for Spartan Sprint, in April 2015!

Where to from here?

FAT Loss is my primary goal, I am still at 30% body fat according to my scale (uses the electrical stuff to measure) so if we do the math that means I am probably 140-145 at zero%, and I would like to get under 20% body fat as my immediate goal for the next six months.  From a weight perspective that is fat loss of 25 pounds or so.

How do I get there?

Eating - Goal #1 - Paleo (Primal) diet with dairy.  Eating 19 out of 21 "meals" per week Paleo, so approx a 90/10 ratio at this point.  (Met this goal for first challenge.)

Exercise - Goal #2 - Got really bored with plain body weight last challenge and ended up looking for gyms and programs and ended up at 9Round Fitness & Kickboxing.  This is my third week or so and really enjoying the workouts.  So the official goal is a minimum of 2 times per week.  Reward will be +1 CON and +1 STR if I meet this goal every week of the six weeks.

Walking - Goal #3 - My new fitbit charge hr is working good and I am tracking everything again.  So last six weeks goal was 40k steps per week.  This six weeks, goal will be 45k steps per week!

Life Goal - get a good chunk of my research proposal completed and written over the next six weeks!!

• Like 1

Finished first six challenge for 2015, granting +1 to CON.  Otherwise all 0 stats at this point.

My Introduction post, tells my weight loss journey up to the point I joined NF!

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/58160-70-there-30-to-go/

Just an update, got in workout #2 yesterday at 9Round, loving the MYZONE heart rate monitor, it shows how hard I am working and gives a really accurate measurement of calories burned!  (MEPS)  For the workout Monday and Wednesday, 800 calories each which is not bad for 30-35 minutes!

I tend to go a bit nutz and stay at the near max for my heart rate, and they have bumped that up from 180 to 194 now based on my actual heart rate as opposed to what a chart says should be the max for a 45 year old man!  :)

My endurance is going up for sure compared to my first day at 9Round, your body gets used to a given type of workout, whether that is running, kickboxing, etc.  But I do like the fact they change the routine every day so the 9 stations are a bit different each time I come in.  Lots of good body weight stuff with some barbells and of course LOTS of punching and kicking.

Steps is going well too, nearly 10k yesterday!

Finished first six challenge for 2015, granting +1 to CON.  Otherwise all 0 stats at this point.

Wow, this is great, jeepn3rd! Really liking the dedication and focus. A whole marathon, win!

I too have decided that changing things up in the gym makes things more interesting and keeps my muscles guessing.

You are off to a good start!

Have a great weekend, we're here for you!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Week 1 Update:

Eating:  18 of 21 Meals were full on Paleo!  Ended up eating cheat meals Saturday night, Sunday Breakfast and Lunch!  So 85% there, goal was 90% but I feel pretty good about this area.

Exercise:  2 full rounds at my gym, 9Round, getting 800+ calorie workouts both times.  Gym bag is packed, hitting it again here in an hour or so for this week.

Walking:  51k steps all told for the week so I exceeded my 45k goal for the week.  

I could probably set a minimum goal of 49k (7k per day) but trying to build up levels of success and "you can do this" mental state by creating realistic goals that I can meet.  

By bumping them up every 6 weeks I will continue to progress and keep a good long term perspective on this!  I would love to say 10k a day, 70k a week but that is a big stretch from here and instead of setting myself up for failure I will create a pattern of success!

Sammy

• Like 2

Week 2 is in the books!

Eating - Hmm, thinking back I ate carbs at supper on Saturday night and some durn cookies Friday and Saturday as snacks at work.  Sunday lunch I ate a roll.  So I will call it 90/10 for the week because the only full carb meal was 1 and then a few snacks otherwise.  

Exercise - Hit my second R9 workout on Friday, the HR monitor is clocking me in at 700+ calories per workout which is sweet.  I backed off on my intensity on Friday after having a nasty headache early in the week after the workout.  I basically push myself too hard, HR in the 90% or higher the whole time and my blood pressure spikes or something.  So Friday I made myself stay down in the yellow range, 70-90% of max HR and felt much better afterwards.

Walking - Great week, only one day under 6500 steps goal and 55k for the week!  Took my nephew out to the lake so we could walk my Border Collie together.  I really hate seeing him facing the obestity issue and we do our best to eat health when with him and do things outside instead of just video games.  So AFTER the 1.7 mile walk, we came back and he spent the rest of the time with us playing Disney Infinity.

Weight did not move or went UP a bit, 202.x to 204.x this week, which is always a downer.  But hoping this is just my body converting fat to glucose, retaining water to do so and will burn it all off soon.  

Might try to add a 5k run in this week along with my kickboxing stuff, need to keep my endurance levels up so the 5k portion of the Spartan Race will be no big deal.

Soooo glad, you're bring your intensity down. It can get pretty dangerous being up there too often.

Headaches could mean more water or more food. 

Glad you're walking with your nephew. I'm sure it's helping him in some way. Life is a bit easier when you know someone else cares about what others shun or make fun of. Thank you.

The scale may be misleading. The fluctuations can vary in regards to weight and the reasons for the weight changes. If you like your scale (I like mine), then pay attention to it in a 'slightly out of focus' look. Remember the 3-D pictures when they first came out? You had to not really focus to let the shape come forward. It's the same with the scale. You can log your weights including: day, time of day, before or after relieving yourself, how long ago you ate, and your mood. I also do body measurements once a month. Generally, I believe if you're feeling good, then the voice of the scale is secondary. Muscle weighs more than fat and bodily measurements change with or without weight change. Take your time and you'll find what works for you.

90-10, not too shabby!

Any extra focus this coming week or are you spreading your energy equally among your goals?

Have fun!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

So, Weeks 3-6, LIFE happened.  To be more specific, Tax Season kicked in full bore and my eating went to heck right along with my workouts.  I did kickboxing all the way up until 2 weeks ago and then that went aside.

On the positive side I finished the Spartan Sprint this weekend!!  So still in "good enough" shape to go run (walk) nearly 5 miles in soggy BDUs and do 180-210 burpees.  I am hurting but I made it in 2:18.