wykcira1 breaks normal

wykcira1

One day I wake up more awake than other days. I can tell there is something different today compared to yesterday but I don’t know what it is yet.

The routine is always the same. Dogs in the yard, shower, wake the baby and go to work. But today it is different. I don’t know what it is yet. Only today the lunch is already packed, how strange. Did I do that? I can’t remember.

At work it is the same weekday zombie chorus of ‘How as your night’ ‘ What are you doing this weekend’ ‘This weather sure is exactly correct for the time of year’ I can always tell the day of the week from what everyone else is chanting before 8 am. Always the same. Always the same. But today it is different. I don’t know what it is yet. How did my gym clothes get to work, how strange? Did I do that? I can’t remember.

The drive home is always the same. Right Turn. Left Turn. Left Turn. Right Turn. The drive is not long enough for the air conditioner to make a difference. The ambient temperature permeates the drive. But today is different. I don’t know what it is yet. Do I smell dinner already made, how strange? Did I do that? I can’t remember.

At night it is always the same. Eat, Clean, Sit. The warm glow of a tv is enough to light the room. Old show and new commercials or new show and old commercials. But today is different. I don’t know what it is yet. Is it already time for bed? I have already prepared for tomorrow. I remember.

It was me. I had to make the change. It is the day I made the change. But was it just one day? It has been so many days of change I can’t remember anymore. It might have just been the day when it went from being the change to being the same. That must have been it. It was the day I broke normal... or just realized it.

It has been a year since my last challenge. I think I’ve been doing great. I had a full year of running injury free. I have my goals set for the year. Before the end of 2015 I want to finish a half marathon in less than 2 hours. I have my first shot in May at the Pittsburgh Half Marathon. I also have a few races until then. The only one during the challenge is the Monument 10K in Richmond VA on March 28th. I will be running this with my sister. It is her first race since welcoming their last child into the world. It is going to be the first race I’ve ever done with her.  So that is pretty cool.

As far as goals: I have a training plan that I have come up with to get to half marathon distance. It involves 3 runs per week. With a little one and a traveling wife I do have some time constraints. I have long runs Saturday mornings, starting before 9:30. Tuesdays are tempo runs, currently being done on my lunch break. And, schedule permitting, there is a running club that I was welcomed to join that does Thursday night runs at 8. As long as I have someone to be at the house I will do these, if not, then more lunch running and additional cardio at home after the kids is asleep. With such a tight schedule it is imperative that I stick to it and keep myself prepared. As part of the running aspect I will also be requiring myself to prepare workout gear the night before to remove excuses.

I really want to be focused on half marathon training but I will also cross train and injury prevent as much as possible. I will continue daily hip flexor strengthening exercises.  I want to try and start a daily yoga practice. I signed up for the doyouyoga 14 days shred that starts on the 1st. I’m hoping this is as good as the 30 day challenge.

I am ardent in not outrunning my fork. So I already keep a pretty tight watch on my food intake but I will continue to track with lose it for the duration of the challenge.

Once I can run outside I will also starting training with our new (to us) jogging stroller so I can have her compete in some smaller races with me. If I’m not prepared to do it, it will never happen. So I need to hit the streets and practice before I put the kid in there, know what I mean?

Cheers,

Wykcira1

• Like 4

Human Ranger Level 4
STR:  2
DEX: 3
STA: 10
CON: 6
WIS: 3
CHA: 2

"I love things that seem impossible"
  The Cat Empire

Good luck working towards the half a marathon!  What distances can you run at the moment?

Your challenge reminds me of a quote I heard recently.   I'm not sure exactly what it was, but it was essentially "You never have any time to do things, but you can make time for things that are important to you".   Have fun this challenge :)

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

You know what you want, great.

Do you usually work with specific goals or does the area of life kind of goal work for you?

Love the baby stroller idea. Get them loving running right off the bat.  :rapture:

So glad you're here. We have a mini challenge going if you're interested and the tavern is open to all, of course.

Best of luck and remember we're here for you.

Cheers

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Good luck working towards the half a marathon!  What distances can you run at the moment?

Your challenge reminds me of a quote I heard recently.   I'm not sure exactly what it was, but it was essentially "You never have any time to do things, but you can make time for things that are important to you".   Have fun this challenge :)

Thank you. As of today, my longest race is a 10K. Last month I was in FL on vacation and ran until I was tired, then ran back. That was about 8 miles. In my training plan for that Half 8 miles is my long run on Saturday. And as a side note, my sister is in town. We will be doing 8 together. It is a stretch for her but it is a low and slow day. The plan is just to keep moving.

You know what you want, great.

Do you usually work with specific goals or does the area of life kind of goal work for you?

Love the baby stroller idea. Get them loving running right off the bat.  :rapture:

So glad you're here. We have a mini challenge going if you're interested and the tavern is open to all, of course.

Best of luck and remember we're here for you.

Cheers

I'm happy to be here as well. It is a totally different experience putting everything out there for the world to read.

I'm going to check out the mini challenge for sure. I'll be following along at the very least.

My little girl is a great traveler. She loves her car seat. And if I am able to take her with me on a run, then I don't need a babysitter. That would be most helpful once it starts being warm enough to be outside with her. Travel is a big part of my wife's job so I get to play a single dad a couple nights a week.

Goals have been a tough issue for me. It was really difficult deciding to run the half. It is a big trade off on time spent otherwise. I just need to see where I am once I cross the finish line and find the next challenge that I want to go after.

• Like 2

Human Ranger Level 4

The Cat Empire

I have a few guilty pleasures that seem to make no sense. It mostly has to do with my running sound track. Music had been a large part of my life for a really long time. Then I stopped…. I am starting slowly again but one thing that always stuck with me with the way music can impact your emotional state. I have noticed it more on my longer runs lately. First of all I thought the faster songs would be better. Not always the case. And I always thought I liked all music (I still do). But when I song I don’t care for comes on my ipod I can feel my form collapse, my stride open up, my breathing becomes labored. There is no different from one step to the next and I could very well get everything back when the next song starts. But when one of those songs comes on that you can help but toe tap, I could run forever. I can sense my form improve, my breathing become effortless and my legs feel fresh. The low to high this experience brings best exemplifies my “runners high.†So that being said here are some of my FAVORITE Guilty Pleasure Running songs (songs I would be embarrassed that would come on if I had my ipod playing for other people to hear).

I need a hero: Bonnie Tyler

Everybody Working for the Weekend: Lover Boy

Zoot Suit Riot: Cherry Poppin Daddies

Pump It: Black Eyed Peas

Let u Go: Ashley Parker Angel

Final Count Down: Europe

What is your favorite guilty pleasure song?

Food logging has been great. Logging as I eat. Today was about 3+ miles below tempo on lunch. I'm not sure about other workout tonight but i'll be cleaning the house so that has to count for something. Tomorrow in the AM (prework) will be a yoga session.

• Like 2

Human Ranger Level 4

The Cat Empire

Great weekend. Didn't get as much normal cross training done but had a few inches of snow so I got some good shoveling in. Did 8 miles Saturday. I am lucky enough to live close to by parents, 2.02 miles per Gamin. Ran there, did 4 with my sister and then 2.02 more home. It was tremendous. Another way to be closer to my sister. We also did attempt to play in the snow with the kid today but she was not too happy about it. We spent more time getting ready to go outside than we spent outside.

• Like 1

Human Ranger Level 4

The Cat Empire

I'm completely with you on "Pump It". I also like "The Sweet Escape" by Gren Stefani and "Roar" by Katy Perry as running tracks and that's about as guilty as it gets.

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Best laid plans:

Everything was in its place on the list. One after the other. Lined up like little soldiers just waiting for the order to attack. Perfectly places and rearranged until the maximum effective had been deemed to have been reached. They would fly like bullets from a machine gun one after the other to perfectly placed targets. Once completed, the next target would be zeroed and completed.

Some things cannot be planned. Some things cannot be expected. Some things make the gun jam, the target move or the ammo ineffective. Then, all of those, little perfectly places soldiers start working against you. Once started there is no way to stop them.

Lessons can be hard learned. Some of the lessons can seem to go against things you already know. Sometimes all those little soldiers SHOULDN’T be in such a perfect order.

Things have been pretty good over the week. I got my tempo run done at the gym on a treadmill. The ice and snow have been pretty bad this week here in PA. My dad also had trigger finder surgery so I had to head over to their place and chip out their driveway. I LOVE shoveling snow. My caveat to this is that it must be sidewalk snow. I HAVE drive way shoveling. I love on a corner but we have a very small driveway. I can have the sidewalks done all around the property in less than 25 minutes on average. I have races with myself when shoveling. But the driveway is always painful with all the heavy street snow already half melted and full of rock salt. This is the part my parents needed done. And it was already freezing back over so I have to chip all of it. What a pain. But how can we expect parents to take care of themselves.

I did not get my 2nd run in yesterday. It was snowing too much and the gym closed before I could get over. So I did Just dance on xbox for about 40 minutes. I used the down time between loading to do pushups, burpees, couch arm dips and mountain climbers. So I was pretty happy with that.

I have been doing the 15 day yoga shred on doyouyoga.com. So far so good. It is super short and I am liking it, for the most part.

Tomorrow should be warmer. We are finally finishing the 3 week long b-day celebration for the kiddo. I have NOT been so good at NOT eating leftover cake. So I am not looking forward to having another leftover cake. I might have to throw it out, the wife won’t be happy. I am HOPFULLY going to be doing a “store run†with a local running shop, co-sponsored by brooks, so I get to try out a new pair of shoes and run with a group of people. I had a great time on the first store run I participated in back on valentine’s day. The same there as here, everyone is so welcoming and supportive. This is such a great community to be a part of. I hope to add as much to it as everyone provides for me.

No out of the ordinary food this week. Mostly trying to avoid leftovers from the party. We will be having “better food†for this final party but still everything in moderation. I did make an impromptu veggie soup on Sunday. I had a mountain of chopped veggies and cooked them down with onions and garlic. Chicken brother (not totally vegetarian) roman beans and herbs. The kiddo LOVES beans she gobbled it up.

• Like 1

Human Ranger Level 4

The Cat Empire

What a weekend.

We had the FINAL b-day party for the kiddo. It was great. The "healthy" food that I made all went, the wife thought we would be eating leftovers for a week. So that was really refreshing. Unfortunately we have ANOTHER half cake left in the fridge. I think I might have to throw it out, otherwise I will keep eating it.

My long run was great. I did a store run with a FLRS. It was sponsored by brooks, it was a local scavenger hunt. Super cool. I got to run with some new people which was a great experience. I found some new hills to sprint on. I also won the raffle for a new pair of Brooks. So just for showing up I got a new shoes. I can't wait to break them in. =D

I have been doing great with daily yoga and also daily hip flexor exercise. I can definitely feel a difference since starting the hip flexor exercises. It seems like I have added mobility and also strength in my stride. I think it is just the coolest thing that I can REALZIE there is a difference.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Human Ranger Level 4

The Cat Empire

Awesome goals and progress! My guilty pleasure running songs = Pump up the Jam by Technotronic and Bust a Move by Young MC. I listen on iheartradio to 'dancing in the 80's' which is up beat 80's dance music (surprise) which I like for the beat. When those two songs come on though, I rock it a little harder. I would never admit in real life that those songs were coming out of my ear buds though!

• Like 1

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

This week has been mostly great so far. I had a good tempo run on a treadmill Tuesday. Yoga is still happening daily. food logging is daily. hip strengthening is daily. all completed checks right now.

On lunch today I did 2 miles with intervals on the treadmill. Hopefully the snow is going to finish melting off the walking trail. I really don't want to run in the parking lot. That is just asking to be hit by a car. I am going to do 2 more miles when I get home today. I'm taking the jogging stroller out for an initial run. Sans kid. I'll throw 30lbs worth of weight in it just to see how it handles.

So that all is on the great side so where does the mostly come in? Well I could bore you on how too much of the leftover cake has made it past my lips. But I really want to take a minute and remember my friend's husband. He did not survive a vehicle accident earlier this week. Icy patch into a utility pole. He is just a few years older than I am. I went to college with both him and his wife. It just really pushes things back into perspective. extra cake doesn't seem so bad right now, huh?

I've been thinking about what I can do to make every decision the best possible this week. Not to be a downer, but remembering that at any point, what you are doing could be the last thing you ever do. Are you making the most of it? Now spending your life always trying to be the best possible sure does sound exhausting. But if you think of it THAT way it seems insurmountable. It kinda brings me back to 2+ years ago thinking that losing weight would never happen, running would never happen. I should just stay where I was. But this journey over the past 2 years has made me realize it doesn't HAVE to be that hard. Things happen one decision at a time. I can only do so much at once, so what I'm going to do it going to be the freeking best that I can make it. If I can just keeping building one great decision on another great decision, that NEXT great decision just got easier.

So that is what I am going to do for the rest of today, this week and this challenge. Try to make the MOST of EVERY decision that comes my way.

The rest of that cake is going to meet the inside of a trash bag when I get home.

• Like 1

Human Ranger Level 4

The Cat Empire

Had a similar problem with a work anniversary cake in January.  The kids didn't eat their share of it...  BTW, about the jogging stroller, don't me suprised if you have to alter your stride to make it work.  I really had to shorten mine and hunch over a bit, which closed my chest (harder breathing).  I am not saying avoid it, just watch for it, cuz some of it can be modified.

• Like 1

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.

Mileage

Swim 11.1/18 miles

61.7%
61.7%

Bike 207/465 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Run 44.9/101 miles

44.5%
44.5%

" If I can just keeping building one great decision on another great decision, that NEXT great decision just got easier."

You have a great way of looking at change. I am stealing this statement. Do you require royalty fees?  :playful: 

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Weekend was great. Got to see so many old friends. It is hard to think that something so terrible brought us all back together. It is always a confidence boost to see people from college. When I graduated I was 310lbs, worst shape of my life. As of TODAY I am no longer overweight by BMI standards. (184 for my height). Not bad headed into my 10 year reunion. Too bad that it was mostly just the past 26 months and not sooner that I started taking care of myself.

I did my 9 miles on Saturday. It was warm and rainy, I thought the trails would be clear. NOPE!!! I was running on 2 inches of ice and slush. And when the ice WAS melted it was mud. Needless to say it was an AMAZING TIME!!!!! I never thought I would be able to do that. The me even from this time last year would have called it quits, turned around and sat back today. The me now said what's a little slush? Its more fun that's what it is. Just another way to improve.

On the cake front, I did mange to get rid of the cake that had been in the house. BUT a friend recently opened a bakery and brought samples. So it was only SAMPLES. It is good that they aren't closer. Oddly enough, they live just off a rails to trails that goes past our house as well. I'm sure if I did the 23 mile run I could have some sweets when I got there hahaha.

• Like 2

Human Ranger Level 4

The Cat Empire

Nothing like a glucose rush after a 23 mile run! That run sounds miserable and awesome all at the same time. Just difficult enough to make you pay attention and distract you from the time. I prefer running when it's just a little chilly way more than running in 90 degrees plus. AND that's amazing you lost about half of you and got to show off at the reunion! Glad to see you're still kicking butt!

• Like 1

Valkyrie Grace

Gatherer of Souls

Battlelog

Current Challenge

Nothing like a glucose rush after a 23 mile run! That run sounds miserable and awesome all at the same time. Just difficult enough to make you pay attention and distract you from the time. I prefer running when it's just a little chilly way more than running in 90 degrees plus. AND that's amazing you lost about half of you and got to show off at the reunion! Glad to see you're still kicking butt!

The run to the bakery is too far me at this point in time. BUT that does not mean it won't be forever. Something to try to do in the future. I just try to do what I can.

Thanks for the support.

• Like 1

Human Ranger Level 4

The Cat Empire

HAHAHA

Sweets after sweats. I'll buy that... a little bit anyway.

Glad you're enjoying the mush that is pre-spring. I love getting dirty when I run. If my socks are clean, I have to wonder if I pushed enough! I'm really happy for you that you can see where you were and what's better now. Good things to remember.

Great job getting the cake out of the house. I know that was a big deal for you. Yay!

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

I had a GREAT run yesterday. My running goal for 2015 is to finish a half marathon under 2:00 hours. To do this I need a 9:10 mile pace. Since this is the goal, I am using these numbers to train. I haven’t even finished my first half yet, but why just finish if I can get my goal, right? So I did a 4 mile tempo run yesterday with a fast mile of 8:43 and an average pace of 9:00. Just got to keep doing what I’m doing.

• Like 2

Human Ranger Level 4

The Cat Empire