Chronologically Blessed

Thanks for sharing this. I will definitely keep it in mind for my husband. He is several years younger than me, so I don't know when he needs to start checking these things, but we will find out. Good luck with your recovery.

I think the 'rule' in the US is once you're 45 they are supposed to start checking it...and the ever popular rectal exam.

• Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I'm following this thread but "only"45 so I may need to wait to officially join. I am very interested in reading how everyone handles recovery and chronically tight muscles. My plan is to look and feel better at 50 than I did at 40.

And I remember seeing Star Wars with my Mom and both of us audibly gasping when the Millennium Falcon hit warp. Also remember arguing with my teacher about who was hotter; Luke or Han. I chose Luke and I was wrong.

• Like 2

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

I'm following this thread but "only"45 so I may need to wait to officially join. I am very interested in reading how everyone handles recovery and chronically tight muscles. My plan is to look and feel better at 50 than I did at 40.

And I remember seeing Star Wars with my Mom and both of us audibly gasping when the Millennium Falcon hit warp. Also remember arguing with my teacher about who was hotter; Luke or Han. I chose Luke and I was wrong.

50 is what sort of a number I picked out, truth is I'm not even 50 yet. ;) Anyone who feels at home here can participate. Though, if a 30 year old kid comes on saying how old she is, we might all have to smack her. ;)

• Like 4

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

There was something about turning 50 that allowed me to pretty much stop caring what other people think of the way I look. I figure, at 50 I'm invisible to most people in our society anyway. No one's looking at me to see if my makeup's perfect or my outfit is perfectly coordinated. Somehow, that freed me to begin to care about my appearance in a whole new way. Not trying to look perfectly young, just trying to care for myself and be happy with the way I look, for me. Which means I no longer have to wait until I have the perfect exercise gear to get my ass out for a walk or over to the gym. Or change my clothes so I can go to the grocery store to buy healthy food.

It's very liberating.

Ironically, for me it seems like I kinda hit my physical peak really late.  Or maybe I lost it somewhere in my mid 30's and just got it back?  Either way, the point is that for me, I look better now as I approach 50 than I did when I was 35 or 40.  So at this point, I care MORE now about my hair and makeup and clothing now than I did when I was heavier and had an "I don't care" attitude.  The additional irony is that I am now racing the clock, right?  Because I'm only gonna be able to fake looking middle aged for so long...

I think I'm the only male that has subbed in here this time, but I'm going to assume you all have similarly aged males (brothers, SO's, parents).  

This is going to be something of a public service announcement.  Encourage your guys to monitor their PSA (prostate specific antigen).  And if it goes up, encourage them to research MRI diagnosis (as opposed to needle biopsy) and HIFU (High Intensity Focused Ultrasound) treatment as opposed to traditional surgical methods.  

Background on the MRI/Cancer diagnosis http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/58390-wildross-surges-forward/?p=1337692

My post surgery writeup http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/60914-wildross-the-i-dont-know-challenge/?p=1404474

As noted in the threads I had the surgical procedure on Saturday, 2/28.   I was back at work on Tuesday and back in the gym on Thursday.  I'm amazed and blessed.  Assuming the dr is correct, my PSA will go from a high of 14+ in mid February to 0 at my next checkup in 3 months.  Any other procedure would have knocked me down for at least a month.

Thanks for sharing your links and your experience!  It's a very good reminder. 

LOL I remember having that same discussion with my best friend.  Han.  It was -- and is-- always Han.  He's as hot at 70 as he was at 30.  

• Like 3

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

Ironically, for me it seems like I kinda hit my physical peak really late.  Or maybe I lost it somewhere in my mid 30's and just got it back?  Either way, the point is that for me, I look better now as I approach 50 than I did when I was 35 or 40.  So at this point, I care MORE now about my hair and makeup and clothing now than I did when I was heavier and had an "I don't care" attitude.  The additional irony is that I am now racing the clock, right?  Because I'm only gonna be able to fake looking middle aged for so long...

Thanks for sharing your links and your experience!  It's a very good reminder. 

LOL I remember having that same discussion with my best friend.  Han.  It was -- and is-- always Han.  He's as hot at 70 as he was at 30.  

Same here as far as looks.  In my 30's and early 40's I was busier, and somehow got the idea I wasn't supposed to care about how I looked, so I actually spend more time now on my looks. But, I can also go to the store without makeup and not worry if someone sees me, because I am more confident in how I look.

I always thought it was Han. And agreed, he is still hot at 70. And a good actor besides. Except I did fall asleep during Ender's Game, but most of his movies I like.

• Like 1

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I'm literally and measurably stronger at 55 than I've ever been in my life (and I've always been knows as strong).  My conditioning has dropped off in the last couple of years, but I'll get that back this year.

I'm more confident and less worried about what others think.

I'm confident in my Christian faith and in where I'm headed.

The only thing I don't like is my eye sight.  After 5 years, I still can't get bi/tri focals to work.  I've resorted to taking camera phone pictures of serial numbers and such.  That way I can zoom in on them.

• Like 1

Tally Sheet for 2019

So, along the same topic as Han vs. Luke... Original StarTrek or Next Generation? The question could also be Captain Kirk vs. Captain Picard.

Personally, I'm still mourning Leonard Nimoy, but it's Picard FTW.

My favorite Star Trek is Deep Space Nine, but I love them all.

Level 4 Slayer

STR 9 | DEX 7 | STA 6 | CON 9 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

Challenges: Current 4 3 2 1

Battle log

Mantra for 2015: I am here

"Riskless is hardly worth your effort." Seth Godin

Lapsed NFer just popping in to say hi this group. What a great idea. 

I'm 46 and currently in the middle of a weight loss (20 lbs so far!). I'm doing it through a paid coaching group at Fitocracy, and the basis of it is IIFYM, which seems like a really good program for me. For the first time, I feel like I'm on a program that can be sustainable. 

And, just to contribute to the muscle soreness/stiffness discussion... I had been having pretty serious muscle and joint soreness coupled with bouts of fatigue. Went to my doctor and they put me in for a bunch of cardiac tests that found nothing. And while I had considered SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) before and had added a Vitmain D supplement, it wasn't until I listened to my girlfriend and really upped my vitamin D intake (~50,000 mg/week) that I saw a difference. And it was a huge difference. My soreness went completely away, and my energy levels increased dramatically.

Oh, and I'm a solid TOS over TNG. I like Star Wars, but nowhere near as much as Star Trek. Was Han vs. Luke really ever really a thing? Whiny, greasy-haired farmboy vs ruggedly handsome rogue? 

Of course, for me, the bigger question is Kaylee vs Zoë.

• Like 2

Hey Wildross. Good to see you again.

And I see your posts about what's happening in your life. Reminds me that it's about that time again.

Sorry about that....

Tally Sheet for 2019

How is everyone's challenge going now that we're at the halfway point?

I had some big challenges last week, but got right back on track this week and finished today strong. I am beginning to really love the feeling of working my muscles hard. And I am noticing more than ever what a difference my food makes to how I feel, as well as how my workouts go.

• Like 2

Level 4 Slayer

Battle log

I had some big challenges last week, but got right back on track this week and finished today strong. I am beginning to really love the feeling of working my muscles hard. And I am noticing more than ever what a difference my food makes to how I feel, as well as how my workouts go.

On paper everything looks pretty good so far during this challenge, but jeez I've got to get my head straightened out. Following many of you here has been particularly helpful.

• Like 2

Jedi Knight - Current ChallengeBattle Log - Epic Quest

I'm in a pretty good groove. Although I'm only half way through the challenge I've been committed to my diet and fitness since January 1st so, I'm really almost 3 months into this. Food prepping is key! If I don't have easy options to go to then it's waaaay to easy to stray. Lightening up my strength training to focus on mobility has also helped. I was making too many changes and trying to do too many things because I wanted fast results. This challenged actually helped me see that and take a step back.

• Like 1

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

On paper everything looks pretty good so far during this challenge, but jeez I've got to get my head straightened out. Following many of you here has been particularly helpful.

I have found for me that when I am trying to make big changes, it's important to immerse myself in a community of like-minded individuals, so following threads and daily reading in the forums is a big part of what helps me stay motivated right now. Anything we can do to help you get your head straightened out?

I'm in a pretty good groove. Although I'm only half way through the challenge I've been committed to my diet and fitness since January 1st so, I'm really almost 3 months into this. Food prepping is key! If I don't have easy options to go to then it's waaaay to easy to stray. Lightening up my strength training to focus on mobility has also helped. I was making too many changes and trying to do too many things because I wanted fast results. This challenged actually helped me see that and take a step back.

Great realization! I have also been a victim of the "fix all the things" mindset.

fix-all-the-things.jpg

I agree that food prep is vital. I was doing really well at cooking and eating at home more, but since I started my NF challenges in January, most of my energy has gone into that and the cooking has slipped. Part of my next challenge will include getting back to that. It's so much easier to eat healthy when I plan, shop, and cook my own food, rather than eating at restaurants.

• Like 1

Level 4 Slayer

Battle log

I am often a victim of fix all the things.  :redface-new:

Week 4,   :redface-new: a little bit of a cranky start. The new feeling is gone, and I just didn't want to do my workout today. Once I started, it was fine.  I guess it was just a bit of the Monday blahs. 

• Like 2