It's not over until I beat Matty -- Castiel's battle log

GAH SNOW!

This is really annoying. I slept in an extra hour today, because I couldn't sleep last night, and I wake up to a couple inches of snow, which means I can't ride my motorcycle or my bicycle to the gym, which means I no longer have enough time to get to the gym before work. Today will be a loss unless I end up not having to go in to work (distinctly possible, considering how people are about canceling reservations when it snows).

If not, Friday bench and Saturday Squats.

GAH SNOW!

This is really annoying. I slept in an extra hour today, because I couldn't sleep last night, and I wake up to a couple inches of snow, which means I can't ride my motorcycle or my bicycle to the gym, which means I no longer have enough time to get to the gym before work. Today will be a loss unless I end up not having to go in to work (distinctly possible, considering how people are about canceling reservations when it snows).

If not, Friday bench and Saturday Squats.

What kind of motorcycle do you have?

I do miss that about Philadelphia, a few inches and the entire city shuts down.

And I've really wanted a motorcycle, have had my license for years, just never get around to getting one.

Week 2 Bench Day

After sleeping in, and then my restaurant getting closed for snow, I finally got to the gym around 5pm.

Hit my triple at 210. It didn't feel great. I did, on the other hand, do some incline press (one of the options for assistance work. Wanted to give it a try.)

As for strongman stuff... I sort of did a farmer's walk carrying far more groceries than I had planned on buying.

Week 2: Squats (with Strongman Video!)

So, I've just finished up my second week of 5/3/1, and I'm liking it so far.

Today was squat day for a triple. This is the one exercise where I'm feeling it really falls a bit short purely on volume. I think I'm going to start doing front squats as an assistance exercise next cycle (since I'm almost done this one), and see if that makes it feel a bit better. I did hit a clean triple at 300, but I've done that before, and I feel like I wasn't really pushing myself.

However, after I finished with my assistance exercises (including curls, like a bro. I need to get them in shape to help out my pull), I did some circus dumbbell presses, and tried out my new recording setup. The second part of that failed on my first set, so you get to watch me fail on my second set instead.

https://vimeo.com/121520440

I had not realized how incredibly goofy I look doing this stuff. It's like an ostrich trying to play football or something.

Week 2: Squats (with Strongman Video!)

So, I've just finished up my second week of 5/3/1, and I'm liking it so far.

Today was squat day for a triple. This is the one exercise where I'm feeling it really falls a bit short purely on volume. I think I'm going to start doing front squats as an assistance exercise next cycle (since I'm almost done this one), and see if that makes it feel a bit better. I did hit a clean triple at 300, but I've done that before, and I feel like I wasn't really pushing myself.

However, after I finished with my assistance exercises (including curls, like a bro. I need to get them in shape to help out my pull), I did some circus dumbbell presses, and tried out my new recording setup. The second part of that failed on my first set, so you get to watch me fail on my second set instead.

https://vimeo.com/121520440

I had not realized how incredibly goofy I look doing this stuff. It's like an ostrich trying to play football or something.

Quite possibly just me but the video doesn't seem to be playing

Not awful. Awkward looking lol but not awful. Once you work out form I think you can easily hit 110 when need be.

Gonna leave this here as it addresses a few issues that I saw initially...

http://youtu.be/9625QqNhmB0

Yeah the weight seems relatively light for you so you are really good at just hoist it up. But I would say you want your elbow a bit higher, go a bit slower to get more control and stand with your feet a bit closer together.

Safe to say yours look better than mine as I failed repeatedly in my video.

You're losing a shitload of energy on your clean by curling most of the weight up. Straddle the bell, bend over like in a deadlift, and extend your hips violently to get it moving off the floor. Treat it more like a KB swing or power clean and you'll have a lot more gas left to press it.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

You're losing a shitload of energy on your clean by curling most of the weight up. Straddle the bell, bend over like in a deadlift, and extend your hips violently to get it moving off the floor. Treat it more like a KB swing or power clean and you'll have a lot more gas left to press it.

Funny mistake for me to make, as I love cleans and hate curls. Should be a pretty easy fix.

I did the same thing on the log for a while, just hammer curling and rolling it up. Actually putting some hump into it was a game changer.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Lol why does everyone hate curls?

You must be new here. They're completely non-functional, can be replaced entirely with chin-ups, and only semi-retarded bros do them and always by occupying the squat rack. FFS dude, pay attention.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"