It's not over until I beat Matty -- Castiel's battle log

Bench today.

For some reason I didn't post this this afternoon. Whatever.

I was supposed to hit 220x5 today, barely hit a double. Then dropped back to 210, and hit the fastest, smoothest triple I've hit. Coming back after a break is weird.

I've added heavy-ish cable rows to my chest day ( I always do some opposing movement), and I feel that they are going to help me sort out some imbalances I had.

Tomorrow I get to squat again, which will be special.

Today was a grind.

Squats

Low bar, back squats. Worked my way through my sets, barely ground out 280, got to 315, couldn't hit depth, failed on the third rep.

But then I backed off and did 225x14 to burnout. That was a workout. I will be doing more of that in the future. I want to be able to do widowmakers.

Did hams, though I could barely walk, and then did some front squats (up to 185x5), though I had to cut that short because of the burnout from the high rep set.

Of course, I finished off with some bicep curls, because every session needs a little bro in it.

• Like 1

Tried to post an update yesterday, but managed to post it in the wrong thread. So, here it is.

5/3/1 week 2, deadlift.

Today's session was the best I've had in a long time (though I did hit my press reps at 145 yesterday, which was nice)

Woke up today in a terrible mood and was freaking out about some personal stuff (I'm really good at unnecessary freaking out).

So, realizing that sulking was useless, I put my favorite mood altering album to turn my day around and got my ass in the gym.

Hit a solid triple at 215 for cleans and then moved on to my deadlift.

My deads felt fast and smooth, and I worked my way up to 350x3. Probably should have gone for a 4th, but I didn't. Oh well.

https://vimeo.com/130935739

I followed this up with front squats, which were tough, but I think they'll be helpful.

Some of the powerlifting/strongman guys were working out, and we started doing grip strength trips (one of them is amazing.) and we ended up with this:

https://vimeo.com/130936152

225, in case you can't see the plates.

*sorry about the vimeo, Matty. My YouTube app is uncooperative.

I repeat...lack of consistency. For me deadlifts are always on point no matter how much time away but squats and bench get all fucked up after only a little time not doing them.

NOT looking forward to benching again after my shoulder is mended up.

I repeat...lack of consistency. For me deadlifts are always on point no matter how much time away but squats and bench get all fucked up after only a little time not doing them.

NOT looking forward to benching again after my shoulder is mended up.

Goddamn inconsistency. Squats today were terrible. Definitely not doing the NJ powerlifting meet, need to get my training in order, and that's too soon. Still probably going to retest my maxes next week to see were I stand though.

Okay, so pretty much worst case scenario for my training right now. I do not have access to a barbell at all.

I have found a halfway decent dumbbell/cable training program (thanks, /r/fitness) and I'm going to see if I can run hypertrophy training for a bit. Did the first push day today, and it's hard work, and definitely hits my chest and shoulders in ways I haven't really done.

This sucks.

Competing in the fall is pretty much ruled out. Going to see if I can get some size (if I can keep my diet strong), and not lose too much strength. Then when I get back to philly hit it hard and train over the winter, see if I can get up to heavyweight and be ready for spring comps.

I'm out of town till august, and I wasn't able to sort out the gym situation down in MD, so I'm stuck with the apartment gym where they are putting me up. DBs up to 75lbs and a kind of shitty cable machine are the only useful pieces of equipment. We'll see what I can make of it.

I'd work on some body weight / calisthenics stuff if it were me.  But I'm also interested in that stuff.  Gotta be hella strong to ever manage a planche or weighted pistols, etc.  And you've got to have movement patterns down which should in theory translate to other stuff well.  

Like I said, though... that's a long-term goal for me so might not be your "cup of tea".  

• Like 1

I'd work on some body weight / calisthenics stuff if it were me.  But I'm also interesting in that stuff.  Gotta be hella strong to ever manage a Planche or weight Pistols, etc.  And you got to have movement patterns down which should in theory translate to other stuff well.  

Like I said, though... that's a long-term goal for me so might not be your "cup of tea".  

Haha great timing with our posts

I'm (still) doing cube and enjoying it so I don't really have any constructive insight here, just happy to see that you're alive.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm (still) doing cube and enjoying it so I don't really have any constructive insight here, just happy to see that you're alive.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I found a new 5/3/1 calculator, and I'm doing the extra squatting variation for a cycle to get me back in the groove (just going from the low weights I started back with this week). I think it will go well. Tuesday begins the cycle proper, after fucking around in the gym for four days this week.

Okay, first day on the new cycle (which I'm calling the GET THE FUCK SQUATTING cycle).

So, naturally, I had to get the fuck squatting.

I'm going to do this log a little more detailed for now, as a record.

LBBS:

45x5

45x5

105x5

160x3

170x5

200x5

225x5

And that's where I'm supposed to stop, but since I've dropped so much weight off of these, and I'm not really trying to deload, I'm adding what Wendler calls Joker Sets, which are kind of extra sets you tag on to the end of your programmed sets, to do if you are feeling strong and want to give your main lift an extra push for the day.

235x5

250x5

Dumbell Bench Press:

45x5x3

Cable Row:

160x10x3

Overall, today felt much better than last week, though I'm not looking forward to squatting four times a week for the next month.

• Like 1

Squatting multiple times a week sucks for the first week or so, but then your body gets use to it and you start banging out reps.  I would do squats more times a week if I didn't love assistance work and had limited time in the gym.

Get those numbers back up!

Widowmaker sets every day and your thighs will become possessed and will be whispering evil thoughts into your mind all day long and eventually they try to kill you forcing you to cut off your legs to save yourself. Sorta like this guy with his hand.

6bcc2217dc500240eef0d6b42e1011ae.jpg

Evil-Dead-II-Ash-Bruce-Campbell-possesse

evildead2bdcap2_original.jpg

You will squat pr like crazy though.