• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

salc

Eating right after a workout?

Hey NF community!

I've heard some conventional wisdom about eating right after a workout, otherwise your body will start to "consume" the muscle in your body instead of fats or something like that. How true is this? Is it necessary to eat after/before workout?

I eat whenever I feel hungry. I usually work out 10.30 -11.30 am. Before that, I don't feel hungry. After the workout, I have classes till 2pm. That's when I eat. Is that alright?

Thanks! 

That's fine!  Just get what you need over the course of the day.  Timing your food around workouts may help performance somewhat, but it's not going to be what makes or breaks your training.  Personally, I'm useless in the gym if I don't have a snack beforehand, and I only worry about having a well-timed post-workout snack if I plan to do a second training session later in the day.  Even so, those are for energy reasons, not out concern for my gainz.

• Like 1

this is one of those times I wish I actually saved articles I read :)

eating after your workout has pretty much no basis in science, like, in terms of how your muscles etc react to food. BUT...here's where it is interesting for me. If you leave it too long after you work out your body releases beta endorphin which makes you feel NOT hungry, this SPIKE of beta endorphin followed by a SPIKE in blood sugar does lead to feeling low, hungry and HANGRY :P

If I don't eat within 30minutes of exercise I will be nibbling on stuff at night and feeling a bit odd :)

• Like 1

A LOT of fitness nutrition information comes down from high level body builders and performance athletes trying to squeeze that extra .5% effectiveness out of their nutrition or workouts. And when it gets to the regular public, you end up with a guy who hasn't been to the gym for ten years and who is 60 pounds overweight doing forearm exercises and twisting his curls cuz he saw it on yahoo fitness cuz some writer read another article on bodybuilding.com

Tons of information gets disseminated this way and misses the target audience. Even If you're trying to fully optimize your post-workout nutrition for muscle gain, there are are contradictory findings. Some studies have found peri-workout (during) amino acid intake helps prevent breakdown of muscle. Some studies show that an immediate protein/carb shake maximizes muscle growth. Even other studies have shown that the optimal protocol is to not eat for a full hour after resistance training so the muscle can experience full catabolism, allowing for the cells to experience full anabolism when nutrition is added. But all this is fairly variable, and if you get it just right, it may only be a couple percentage points of difference. You'll get 95% of your desired effect by lifting hard and eating to fuel your training and recovery. Meal timing for hypertrophy doesn't seem to be all that significant unless your in the top 1% of performers or higher - and even then different people will see different results.

And that's just assuming that muscle gain is your primary. My primary goal is fat loss. I don't eat for 1 or 2 hours after working out because your body burns a higher percentage of fat in a semi-fasted state, and your metabolism is turned up pretty significantly after training. This seems to have worked well for me, but I haven't exactly run a double-blind randomized placebo controlled study on myself.

• Like 1