Changing things up with some martial arts.

Hi everyone.

I haven't been training seriously for atleast 3 years now and it is starting to show. So I decided to get back to it, by going for a powerlifting program + some running with my SO.
    And I am stoked, since I haven't done a serious program with deadlifts in 5 years or more, something that sucks since deadlifts is by far my favourite.

This is my status as we speak:

Height: 170cm.
Weight: 76Kg,

- 1RM bench: 90kg.
- 1RM squat: 110kg.

- 1RM deadlift: +/- 150kg (Will update this one when I have brushed up on my technique. Haven't dared to go all out).

Goals by summer: 
- 1RM bench: 110kg.
- 1RM squat: 130kg.
- 1RM deadlift: 180kg.
- Healthier diet + less bodyfat.

I might change my goals depending on how fast I progress.

I'm considering to use a 3 split, since school/work takes a lot of my time. I just have to find the right one, I have one that I'm thinking about.
  I would post it here for feedback, but it is in norwegian so I might have to translate it first. 

If there is any questions just ask,

Regards
Stian :)

Ps: I hope my english is understandable, it is not my native tongue.

Had the first session of my powerlifting program today and it went fairly well.
  This is a program that I have ''lost'' to earlier, but this will be the time I beat it. I can feel that I got the motivation for it at the moment.

This was todays workout:

Miltary situps (atleast that is what we call it in Norway, don't know the english term):
3x30

Back hyperextensions:

2x15
1x12

Squats:
47.5kg x 7
50kg x 6
55kg x 5
57.5kg x 4
57.5kg x 4
62.5kg x 3
62.5kg x 3

Bench with stop:
45kg x 6
50kg x 6
52.5kg x 5
52.5kg x 5
57.5kg x 3
57.5kg x 3

Stiffleg deadlift:
 I feel like I have to practice my technique a lot more on stiffleg, it just didn't feel right the 2 first sets.
37.5kg x 8
37.5kg x 8
37.5kg x 6
37.5kg x 6

I was supposed to do 45kg on the 2 last sets, but it just didn't feel right at the first 2. So I decided to go slow and try to get the technique down.

Military press:
20kg x 6
22.5kg x 5
22.5kg x 5
25kg x 4
25kg x 4

Bent over rows:
3x12

Legcurl:
1x12
1x10
1x8

Day one of this program done, 2 days and 12 more weeks to go. :)
Regards

Non training relatert update today. I have been working out some other goals than the lifting ones I got going.

Hobby:
- Paint more and don't quit because the end result didn't turn out 100% like what I had imagined in my head.
- Ride my BMX more than I do now.
- Brake some barriers on said bike.
- Land a 360.

Lifestyle/diet:
- Eat less junk and be more aware of what I eat.
- Drink less energy drinks, I am way too fond of Burn, Red Bull etc.
- Get a better routine for when to eat and what to eat.

Running:
- Run atleast 5km without stopping because my "legs" hurt, aka my will..
- Find a balance between aerobic and anaerobic training that I am comfortable with.

General:
- Save more money. I think moderating my intake of redbull will help me here(Energy drinks are really exapensive in Norway).
- Figure out what studies to choose for next year.

That list turned out a lot longer than I had thought it would, sorry for that.
I promise a workout related update tomorrow.

I have seen so many awesome pctures on this site, so here is a pcture from a periode in my life where I actually had some muscles, I believe it is in 2009.

Regards

post-37027-0-76368000-1425336468_thumb.j

I had to start todays workout about a hour later than planned, since I found a stray dog outside the apartment I live in. And I couldn't just let him run around on his own.

Todays workout consisted of:

Miltary situps:
3x20

Back hyperextensions:

Done with added weight.
3x12

Squats with stop:

42,5kg x 6.
42,5kg x 6.
50kg x 5.
50kg x 5.
55kg x 3.
55kg x 3.

Bench with stop:
52,5kg x 8.
57,5kg x 6.
57,5kg x 6.
62,5kg x 5.
62,5kg x 5.
65kg x 4.
65kg x 4.

Deadlift:
I haven't trained deadlift in atleast 3 years, so I was excited to get started, but I was also anxious about my form. I feel like my form was a lot better than I thought, but also that I am a little weaker than I thought I would be.
97.5kg x 5.
105kg x5
105kg x5.
115kg x5.
115kg x5.
115kg x5.
The last two sets were really hard, and I think that I need to bring some sort of snack with me later on. Since squats, bench and deadlift in one day drains the energy out of me.

Dips:
3x12.

Peakcurl:
2x12.

All in all a good day. I got a reminder of why I love and hate deadlift at the same time, and my form is better than I though. 
 So now I just have to push on, to reach my goals. 

Regards

Not much training done today, unless you count training the mind. Had to do some more math today than planned.

Tomorrow will be differensiert though, first I will ride my tiny bike around and jump down from things, then I will go for a run with my gf. I tend to hate running, but she is a good motivator and somehow manages to get me into my running gear. Even though I would prefer to lift "heavy" stuff off the ground(that will happen on saturday).

I have also looks into the paleo diet, and it sounds really exciting and I think my body would love it. At the moment I tend to consume so many unnatural things, that I bet my inside is glowing a faint green..

Does anyone have some ideas on how to get started? And is milk a nono because it is unnatural forente body or is it just because people tend to react to it? Because Norwegians have somewhat developed a resistance(or something similiar) to dairy related "problems".

Regards

Hi,

Hope you keep us informed on the Paleo diet if you try it.  As it happens, I am going to the library myself tonight to look for books on both Paleo and Primal diets.  I'm a big believer in the science behind why the low carb diets cause wt loss.  The only down side is the severe reduction in variety, and I'm not talking about the "crap" foods.  I only need to drop 7lbs, so a short term period on a low carb diet would get me there quick.  Losing wt is not my biggest concern though.  I just want to stay fit cause I'm 54 and what to be able to do adrenaline sports into my late years.  So I stay highly active.  Hope to hear more from you.  Look me ups sometime.

What kind of math did you have to do?  I love math, but then I'm a nerdy engineer.

Peel

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

I like the idea of paleo and use its principles to drive the key things I eat, but I eat a lot of oatmeal, rice, and sweet potato stuff on workout days to build muscle. Your muscle growth/retention would likely suffer on strict paleo. Milk is not strictly paleo I believe because cavemen wouldn't have been milking cows, but there are a lot of people that do paleo + dairy. You just have to find what the right combination of things are for your activity and goals. Lifting with muscles in mind will likely not work well with strict paleo, but you could always give it a shot.

"Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back" - Samurai Maxim

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4

Battle Log

Hinge HabitsBe Like WaterFailure Should Be WelcomedArchitect Your EnvironmentSet Goals For Processes Not Desires, Minimum Effective Dose 101 

Workout of today, or maby I should say night. Went to the gym about 22:00 ish and was done around 00:25.

Military situps:

3x25.

Back hyperextensions:

Done with added weight.
3x10

Squats:

42.5kg x 5
47.5kg x 5
50kg x 4.
50kg x 4.
55kg x 4.
55kg x 4.
57.5kg x 3.
57.5kg x 3.

Bench with narrow grip:
42.5kg x 6.
45kg x 5.
45kg x 5.
50kg x 4.
50kg x 4.
50kg x 4.

Deadlift on box (not sure if this is the correct name):

87.5kg x5.
92.5kg x5
102.5kg x5.
110kg x4.
110kg x4.
110kg x4.

Neckpress:
20kg x6.

20kg x5.
20kg x5.
22.5kg x 4.

22,5kg x4.

Rows:
3x10

Dips:

3x10.

Hi,

Hope you keep us informed on the Paleo diet if you try it.  As it happens, I am going to the library myself tonight to look for books on both Paleo and Primal diets.  I'm a big believer in the science behind why the low carb diets cause wt loss.  The only down side is the severe reduction in variety, and I'm not talking about the "crap" foods.  I only need to drop 7lbs, so a short term period on a low carb diet would get me there quick.  Losing wt is not my biggest concern though.  I just want to stay fit cause I'm 54 and what to be able to do adrenaline sports into my late years.  So I stay highly active.  Hope to hear more from you.  Look me ups sometime.

What kind of math did you have to do?  I love math, but then I'm a nerdy engineer.

Peel

Hi. I will surely keep you updated if I decide to try the diet.

I am taking a pre course in engineering math, so we are doing integrals at the moment.

I like the idea of paleo and use its principles to drive the key things I eat, but I eat a lot of oatmeal, rice, and sweet potato stuff on workout days to build muscle. Your muscle growth/retention would likely suffer on strict paleo. Milk is not strictly paleo I believe because cavemen wouldn't have been milking cows, but there are a lot of people that do paleo + dairy. You just have to find what the right combination of things are for your activity and goals. Lifting with muscles in mind will likely not work well with strict paleo, but you could always give it a shot.

This is one of the things I am thinking about when considering it, if it will let me pack mass while eating healthier.

Powerlifting in kg. Yay for European Nerds!

Hehe, yay for Nerds and powerlifting in general! :D

Thanks mate, I will look into it.

I forgot to post yesterdays workout, but it consisted of me running 4.4km on a threadmill. And getting really upset when the distance counter moved way too slow, good thing I figured out it was in miles after a while. ^^,

Todays workout consisted of some more powerlifting oriented lifting, I am starting to wonder if I put the goals in the program too low, but I will test it atleast two more weeks. Before eventually scaling it up, so that it won't backfire on me if it suddenly escalates.

Military situps:

Considering to apply for the military again, therefor all the military situps as my stomach excersise.

3x30

Back hyperextensions:

Done with added weight.

3x12.

Squat:

47.5kg x5.

50kg x5.

55kg x4.

55kg x4.

57.5kg x3.

60kg x3.

65kg x3.

65kg x3.

Bench with stop:

45kg x5.

50kg x5.

55kg x4.

57.5kg x3.

57.5kg x3.

57.5kg x3.

Stiffleg deadlift:

37.5kg x5.

45kg x5.

47.5kg x5.

47.5kg x5

Military press:

20kg x5.

25kg x4.

25kg x4.

27.5kg x3.

27.5kg x3.

Standing rows:

40 kg x12.

40 kg x12.

40 kg x12.

Legcurl:

1x12.

1x10.

1x8.

Regards

summer:  I really like the way you log what you did.  Wish more people did that cause I like seeing different types of workouts.  Wish more people would also log what they ate.  I've been reading a lot on Paleo.  Next Monday I'm going to start on it.  First stage will be to eliminate the grains and white potatoes (I already eat very few white potatos so that part won't be very hard.  Cutting out the bread (a grain) will be trickier.  I love chicken/egg salad sandwiches.  Someone suggested using a lettuce leaf in place of the bread.  I don't have much confidence thats going to do the trick.

Peel

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

summer:  I really like the way you log what you did.  Wish more people did that cause I like seeing different types of workouts.  Wish more people would also log what they ate.  I've been reading a lot on Paleo.  Next Monday I'm going to start on it.  First stage will be to eliminate the grains and white potatoes (I already eat very few white potatos so that part won't be very hard.  Cutting out the bread (a grain) will be trickier.  I love chicken/egg salad sandwiches.  Someone suggested using a lettuce leaf in place of the bread.  I don't have much confidence thats going to do the trick.

Peel

Thank you. I would have to clean up my diet before I can post what I eat. 

Sounds good, it would be awesome to hear how it goes.

I did todays workout pretty early (around 06:00), to see how my body would respond to it. I didn't feel much of a difference, but that might be because I wake up at 05:30 on mondays and wednesday anyway.

This is what I did today.

Running:

About 3km hill intervals. I decided to do the running on a mill, because it is still a bit chilly outside, and it was pretty dark,

Stretching;

Did some basic stretching on most of the muscles in my legs.

30 seconds x2.

Hangups:

2 x7.

1 x5.

Calf raise:

3x 20.

First on one foot then the other. My calves really hate me right now, after the running, squats and calf raises lately.

Regards

This is what I did on training today.

Miltary situps:
3x20
Back hyperextensions:

Done with added weight.
3x12

Squats with stop:

40kg x 5.
45kg x 4.
47.5kg x 4.
50kg x 3.
50kg x 3.
50kg x 3.

Bench with stop:
52,5kg x 8.
60kg x 6.
62.5kg x 5.
67,5kg x 3.
67.5kg x 3.
67.5kg x 3.

Deadlift:
The deadlifts today were a lit easier than last week, it might be because I bought myself some magnesium.
     My form does also feel good and I got some feedback on it today, but I hunch my shoulders forward when I put the bar back down. And therefore I had to put the bar all the way down before I dared to start another repetition.
97.5kg x 4.
115kg x4.
115kg x4.
122.5kg x4.
122.5g x4.
122.5g x4.

Dips:
3x10.

Tomorrow I will do some more running, I might even dare to run outside. So that I can try out the camelbak I got from my father.

Ps: I just figured out that I think I used the wrong weights when I trained squats on day nr 2 last week. Can't find it on my program, but I guess it might be because I wrote the wrong numbers on the online version of my program on my phone  (I think I lifted more than I was supposed too though).

Regards

This is what I did yesterday. 

Military situps:

3x25.

Back hyperextensions:

Done with added weight.
3x10

Squats:

40kg x 5
45kg x 4
47.5kg x 4.
50kg x 4.
52.5kg x 3.
52.5kg x 3.
52.5kg x 3..

Bench with narrow grip:
42.5kg x 5.
45kg x 5.
50kg x 4.
52,5kg x 4.
52.5kg x 4.

Deadlift on box (not sure if this is the correct name):
87.5kg x4.
102.5kg x4
102.5kg x4.
115kg x3.
115kg x3.
115kg x3.

Neckpress:
20kg x5.

22.5kg x4.
22.5kg x4.
25g x3.

25kg x3.

Rows:
3x10

Dips:

3x12.

Everything went pretty straightforward at this workout, and most of my lifts felt easy.

Regards
Stian. :)

• Like 1

I didn't get any running done this weekend, but I went for a pretty long hike with my gf and her german shepherd puppy.

This is what I did earlier today:

Miltary situps (atleast that is what we call it in Norway, don't know the english term):
3x30

Back hyperextensions:

Done with added weight.
3x15

Squats:
47.5kg x 5
55kg x 4
57.5kg x 4
57.5kg x 3
62,5kg x 3
62.5kg x 3
65kg x 3

65kg x3.

Bench with stop:
45kg x 5
52.5kg x 5
57.5kg x 4
57.5kg x 4
60kg x 3
60kg x 3

Stiffleg deadlift:
37.5kg x 5
45kg x 5
45kg x 5
47,5kg x 4
47.5kg x 4.

Military press:
20kg x 5
25kg x 4
27.5kg x 3

27.5kg x 3
27.5kg x 3

Bent over rows:
3x12

Legcurl:
1x12
1x10
1x8

My program want me to do lifts with shirts and suits next week, looks like I will have to do some pretty heavy lifts raw. Since I don't have any suits/shirts, I guess I will manage though. 

I also think that I might have to lend my service to the scouts for 3-4 weeks. Since I will have to run a 3km, do pushups, pullups and situps at a school I have applied for. And the 3km is my only consern at this moment, so I might have to go all in run training for 3 weeks..

Regards

Didn't do all too much today.
I ran for about 15min, 10 min pretty slow and 5 min at about 2x the former pace.
The plan was to run a 3km, but my shoes are at my GF's house and I had to run inside because of bad weather, So I didn't manage to motivate me for 3km of pain.

I also tried my luck at 1RM in DL, to figure out if my program is to easy at the moment. And I ended ut at 170kg, only 7,5kg away from the 1RM I had in 2009,
I think would have managed to lift 177,5kg today, if I hadn't jumped right from 170kg to 180 kg today. Because I almost had 180kg in both my tries, but was too tired to get 177,5kg after the 180 attempt,

Regards

Went for a run today, had to do it on a mill because of the temperature outside.

Distance:
Ca 3.4km.

Time:

Ca 24 min.

Average HR;
Peak HR:

At this moment I think that I can manage to run 3.0km in 13.00 minutes or less. If I can maintain the right mindset for the whole run. I have to manage it if I want to get into the school I have applied for..

I also stretched most of the muscle groups in my legs 2x30 sec.

Calf Raises:
1x25.
Done with added weights.

1x30.
Done first on one foot then the other,

Regards

Ps: Tried to write todays run a little more structured than the rest of the runs I have logged. Since it looked like I just threw my former runs in here..