• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I'm a geologist and have ran into some Geocache's out in the field, but haven't really gotten into it. I go for the rocks : )

LOL - you already are on the hunt out there!  What's the coolest thing that YOU have found?

There's enough geocaching involved at work that when I'm off, I really never think to do it. The handful that I take care of aren't bad. I like reading the log books sometimes. I'm content to wander for the sake of wandering. But I do encourage other people to try and teach workshops on geocaching. A problem here though is that phone GPSs aren't accurate enough on the mountain to safely get people to some of the caches. That's led to some interesting moments.

I may have to try it out again, off the clock.

• Like 1

My smartphone's GPS is consistently off by about 30-40 feet in my parts, but like Chris-Tien said, it does help to get close and think like a hider. Heck, even when my GPS is accurate, sometimes the listed coordinates aren't, so these days I usually get close, then put down the GPS and start using "geosenses" as a matter of course.

I'm increasingly finding some basic orienteering skills help in this game, too. DH has taken it upon himself to start teaching me some of those to help navigate around obstacles, instead of stumbling into them as I usually do.

Chris, you'll be happy to know that DH is now addicted to Ingress. It works out very nicely for us now - when we go out, he looks for portals, and I look for caches!

• Like 2

LOL - many times, I find the cache as soon as I decide to take a break, sit down, and have some water or a snack.  The change of perspective is illuminating. 

It's going to be a big Ingress weekend up here for us, around gardening.  Have fun everyone!!!

• Like 1

I'm sure phones work great 90% of the time. I'm also sure part of the problem we've encountered here is user error, like people not turning on the actual GPS and using cell signal.  When there is none.

I live/work on a mountain the middle of nowhere. We don't have regular cell signal in most places. Sometimes mapmyrun records me as running hundreds of miles instead of 3.

Most of the people I've had problems with using cell phones to try geocaching are not familiar with the park, GPS, or even maps. Add in a mountain, with cliffs & ravines, and that is where the problems arise.or rather fall.

The Verizon corporate groups are the worst with this problem because they don't like to accept the limitations of their own phones, and they're usually nearly all new to the concept of geocachiing, and are being super competitive. It's been really entertaining sometimes.

Of course, we often have problems with GPS not correctly directing people to the entire park. "I'm in the middle of the woods & the road just ends and it says we're there and I don't know what to do"

I just don't live in a technology friendly area. :)

(& am totally cool with it)

• Like 1

Same here.  We have some BIG, rugged parks in the city limits .... and most of them have very spotty GPS coverage between elevation change and tree cover.  When I go out to do serious caching, I still bring an old-fashioned compass. 

Sooo, this happened on Sunday. A guy from our local geocaching group invited anyone who wanted to come to go with him to do maintenance on a cache on an old abutment out in the middle of the Miami River. (Terrain rating is 4.5!) So DH and I went. The water was waist-deep and the current was a bit strong, so we got thoroughly wet. I had a blast, though! (I'm the one wearing all black except for the hat.)

96b6c327-6410-4632-9f1f-556abca1cf66.jpg

ea5fbb0c-ec6c-4b75-9d14-ea2f9ad93881_l.j

• Like 1

Sooo, this happened on Sunday. A guy from our local geocaching group invited anyone who wanted to come to go with him to do maintenance on a cache on an old abutment out in the middle of the Miami River. (Terrain rating is 4.5!) So DH and I went. The water was waist-deep and the current was a bit strong, so we got thoroughly wet. I had a blast, though! (I'm the one wearing all black except for the hat.)

What fun! 

I'm a geologist and have ran into some Geocache's out in the field, but haven't really gotten into it. I go for the rocks : )

Sounds like you'd enjoying EarthCaches. 

Thats the sort of cache maintenance I could come to enjoy

Ahhhh geocaching! I was into it a couple years ago, although I didn't try anything too difficult. My favorite one led us through this bamboo tunnel to a hidden skate park right in my neighborhood I never knew about! So cool. I might add this as an activity to my walks :)

• Like 1

Ahhhh geocaching! I was into it a couple years ago, although I didn't try anything too difficult. My favorite one led us through this bamboo tunnel to a hidden skate park right in my neighborhood I never knew about! So cool. I might add this as an activity to my walks :)

Its my evening walk motivator. 30 odd around my usual walk. Picking them off, one walk at a time :D

• Like 1

Me and Mrs Fox gave geocaching a go earlier this week, we both had great fun. We're going on a couple of hiking trips next year and hoping to find some caches while we're out and about.

• Like 2

I love Geocaching.  My favorites are in the woods and wetlands around here.  I just found a couple this week with "Snake" in the name, because you have to get to those while it is cold outside.  Geocaching has gotten me off the set trails and exploring more.

• Like 1

Liking the new Adventurer quests and the inclusion of Geocaching. Seems like a natural fit.

Next BIG geocaching adventure for us is Hearley Heart Attack series...480 geocaches. Going to take some planning to do it properly.  Will be done over the space to two to three days. Lots of walking.

But before that, there are some Geocaches over in Turkey near where we'll be on holiday this year. Be rude not to grab some finds and see what the tourist guides don't show you.

I've been hesitant to post this video, just because I don't want to be considered as self promoting. But, it represents for me some achievements I never thought possible this time last year. For example, getting up to the Geocache was a bit of a climb I never would have been able to do last January. Also, its Europe's First Geocache, so thought people would be interested in our take of the experience (which may not be a conventional take on it)

https://youtu.be/uirRnfYMfo8

I've been hesitant to post this video, just because I don't want to be considered as self promoting. But, it represents for me some achievements I never thought possible this time last year. For example, getting up to the Geocache was a bit of a climb I never would have been able to do last January. Also, its Europe's First Geocache, so thought people would be interested in our take of the experience (which may not be a conventional take on it)

https://youtu.be/uirRnfYMfo8

Super cool, thanks for sharing!