Squidwina - A Week Late and 45 Pounds Short

Squidwina

Hi everybody!

I had to put off starting the 6 week challenge while I figured out a way to work around a little back issue and changed up my challenge goals a bit because of it.  But here I am.

Main Quest - Bench my body weight

I'm 43, female, and live in central New Jersey.  I'm a level 7 Warrior at NFA. I used to lift regularly when I was in college, and occasionally thereafter. but I haven't been in the gym regularly for a long time now.

A couple of months ago, I decided to take another shot at my long term goal of benching my body weight.  Unfortunately, my body weight was 236 at the time, and I'm only 5'2.  So, I either had to get really strong, lose a metric boatload of weight, or meet myself in the middle.  The latter seemed like the most reasonable option.

I'm not focusing on weight loss per se.  I'm going for strength and general fitness. Between my workout program, cutting out sweets, and general diet clean-up, fat loss is inevitable.  I'm down 13 lbs on the scale, and have built noticeable muscle, so that means over 13 lbs of fat loss.  I'm very happy with that, especially since I don't hesitate to eat when I'm hungry.  

Current weights for main lifts:

Bench: 105 (3x5)

Squat: 140 (5x5)

Deadlift: 145 (1x5)

Challenge Goal 1:  Add 25 pounds to my squat for a total of 165.

Challenge Goal 2: Add 20 pounds to my deadlift for a total of 165

Challenge Goal 3:  The Dreaded Food Diary.

Bringing the squat and deadlift to 165 would allow me to complete the ".75 of your Bodyweight" quests at NFA, with body weight figured at 220.  This may be a bit of a tall order, given my little back issue, but I'll give it a try.  I'm doing the Dreaded Food Diary as a way to be more thoughtful about what I'm eating.  If I don't want to write it down, that's a clue that maybe I shouldn't be eating it.  I'm not going to be counting calories.

Wish me luck!  I'll report back.

p.s. I'm looking forward to my next challenge so I can take my place among the Warriors guild!

• Like 3

My Main Quest:  Bench my Body Weight

My First 6-Week Challenge:  Squidwina - A Week Late and 45 Pounds Short

Started Program - 5-Jan-2015

Main Lifts as of 17-Mar-2015

- Squat: 3 reps at 175 lbs  (200 lb 1RM)

- Deadlift:  3 reps at 185 lbs

- Bench press: 3 reps at 115 lbs

- Overhead press: 3 reps at 75 lbs

Main Quest - Bench my body weight

Same here!  I'm trying to hit 5x5xBodyweight!  I call it a weight loss goal disguised as a strength goal.  I don't really care if this happens at 190, 195, or 200.  (pounds, not kilograms.  I'm not a monster.)

I'm 43, female, and live in central New Jersey.

42 in May over here.

I'm with you on this one.  -_-  My experience with my own diet has been I have so much more success when I log it.  The first thing that happens is stuff that is obviously junk goes out.  It is also a lot easier to say no to that kind of stuff when keeping a log.  I also look for "on" days and "off" days.  On some special "off" days, usually Saturday - I might even try to ding a high score!  It gives me some purpose for logging those big huge days.  My high score is about 5K, probably a little more.  :tyrannosaurus:

So I am also working on keeping a daily exercise and diet log.  I might even be providing more detailed information in the weeks to come.

Bringing the squat and deadlift to 165 would allow me to complete the ".75 of your Bodyweight" quests at NFA, with body weight figured at 220.

Okay.  I have to look up what NFA is.

Wish me luck!  I'll report back.

Good luck!  :)

p.s. I'm looking forward to my next challenge so I can take my place among the Warriors guild!

Same here!  :)

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Welcome warriors all! I'm 52 and doing StrongLifts program. If you are doing that program, I invite you to join the StrongLift Starters Accountabiibuddies group (listed in my sig). If not, what program are you using? Starting Strength? NRoL? Something else? 

Keep up the good work. 

Level 2 Warrior  | STR 4 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 4 | WIS 4 | CHA 3 |

Current Challenge  First Challenge

Hi Squidwina,

There is something I forgot to mention.  Signatures help.  Look at the Signatures of most of the people you run into and talk to.  You get a snapshot of where they are at and what their goals are.  There are usually also links to their current Challenge and Daily Battle Log.  That means you are one click away from seeing any of this - and if somebody has set himself up well, then you can check him out in a very short period of time.

It's a great way to meet people - especially if their goals are similar to yours.  Guess what?  Blaidd is going to post something exactly like this tomorrow.

I know you already know how to edit your profile because you have uploaded a picture.  You go Profile (upper right) - Edit Profile (upper right) - Signature (third down on the list below your picture to the left).  You can add links to your signature, like say to this Challenge and Daily Battle Log.

I know you know how to insert links, because you did exactly that in the Warrior Mead Hall.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Grr...the quote function is misbehaving.

Thanks, everyone.

Sam - I added a couple of things to my sig.  More to come.  

So I am also working on keeping a daily exercise and diet log.  I might even be providing more detailed information in the weeks to come.

I've been charting my gym activities pretty thoroughly for the past couple of months.  My spreadsheet keeps me motivated.  It shows me that I am absolutely not slacking off.  

(I'm late putting up my challenge thread with the warriors, but I have some similar goals of increasing lifts wrt body weight, while bringing the body weight down. Also 40s female in the snowy northeast.)

I'm looking forward to seeing your thread.  And today was opposite day snow-wise.  We actually got a few inches without the weather people predicting SNOWMAGEDDON instead of them predicting SNOWMAGEDDON and then us getting nothing.

Welcome warriors all! I'm 52 and doing StrongLifts program. If you are doing that program, I invite you to join the StrongLift Starters Accountabiibuddies group (listed in my sig). If not, what program are you using? Starting Strength? NRoL? Something else? 

I'm not doing StrongLifts or any other off-the-shelf program.

I'm lifting 4x/week, with an upper/lower split.  All exercises get 3-5 warm-up sets.  I add weight most days, though I pause if I feel like I need to.  Fortunately my gym has 1.25 lb plates.

Upper:

Bench Press - 3x5

Overhead Press - 3x5

Chest-Supported Incline Row - 3x5 (I'm doing this type of row until my back stops bugging me)

Close-Grip Pulldowns 3x5 (as an accessory exercise)

Lower:

Squat - 5x5

Deadlift - 1x5

Hip Raise variations (unweighted) - 3x10 (accessory exercise)

I'm adding in kettlebell swings as well, though that's more HIIT than lifting.

Then there's the cardio stuff, the shoulder PT, stretching, and other miscellany.

• Like 1

placeholder for witty warrior related "i'm following" comment.  

But hey! Great looking challenge.  Welcome to the fold!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Thanks, Hermione.  Love your user name.

I started my challenge today with...a rest day! 

I'm not being lazy - I'm coming off of a 9 day stretch of being at the gym every day, and I had really hard workouts the past 2 days.  Sometimes I have to force myself to take a rest day, but this one I actually wanted. 

I started the Dreaded Food Diary.  The biggest obstacle will be my saying "oh, I'll fill it in later," so I'm keeping it simple and using a Google spreadsheet so I can easily access it from my phone, iPad, or any computer.

Today at lunch, when my boss was (jokingly) giving me shit about the "healthy" salad I was eating, I was reminded of how incredibly lucky I am to be surrounded by people at work who are seriously into health and physical fitness.  I work with 3 other people in my department.  Two have done Ironman triathlons, and the third at least feels guilty about not going to the gym more often. Boss is running a marathon in a few weeks, and said after that, he may get back into lifting.  I hope he does so I can (jokingly) accuse him of being a curlbro and doing power curtsies in the Smith machine.  (He's not and I sure hope he doesn't!) 

---------------------------------------------

I said above that I keep track of my gym activities.  Just for kicks, I'll share some of my stats with you and how I use them.

Began Program:  30-Dec-2015
Days so far: 62

Average gym visits per week:  5.44
My original plan was 2 visits per week at a minimum.  I guess I like going to the gym.  I'd like to keep it at or above 5 for now.  When the weather gets nicer, I can let it dip below that, as long as I'm doing outdoor workouts in lieu of going to the gym.  I'll still be in there for lifting, though.  And of course, I'll be doing more non-"workout" activities like hiking or jumping around in the ocean.  (It's so nice to live in Jersey!)

Average lifting days per week: 4.67 (since switching to a 4x/week program)
I don't have a set schedule for which days I lift.  I just make sure that I alternate upper and lower, but 4.67 is still a touch high.  When I was on a 3x/week schedule, my average worked out to be exactly 3.00. 

Average times doing ab routine per week: 4.41
I hate doing ab exercises.  My routine takes less than 5 minutes, and I'd like to do it at least 4 days per week. That's pretty minimal, but at least I'm establishing a habit of consistency.  Keeping track of how often I do my routine not only keeps me honest, but knowing that I'm well above my minimum allows me to skip a day guilt-free if I feel like it.

Average hours of cardio per week:   3.37
Too high!  I'm trying to divert more time from steady-state cardio into weight room and higher intensity interval stuff.  The average was up to 3.62 before I switched to the 4x/week lifting program. With the new heart rate monitor, I can effectively use spin class to achieve different goals, such as interval training or a recovery ride.

• Like 1

Updates:

Challenge Goal 1:  Add 25 pounds to my squat for a total of 165.
- I added 5 today, so I'm at 145.

- I meant to add 5 today, but I failed barbell math, and accidentally did the same as last time.
-ETA  - Okay, I didn't fail barbell math after all.  I really did do 150.  Phew!

- So far, so good.  I'm using Google Sheets so I can get to it through my phone, iPad, and both my home and work computer.

Main Quest:  Benching my Body Weight

- Um...well...you might as well just see this post...

UPDATE:

First, a clarification:  The goal weights here are for a 5 rep set, not a 1 rep max.  I may figure out my 1RM on several exercises next week, but the number won't count towards these goals.

Challenge Goal 1:  Add 25 pounds to my squat for a total of 165
- Starting squat - 140 lbs.  Today: 150 lbs. 
Goal 40% complete

- Starting deadlift - 145 lbs.  Today: 155 lbs. 
Goal 50% complete 

- 35 day challenge, I've logged everything, so 5 days complete.

Goal 14.3% complete

So, the 2 lifting goals are going very well, and unless something unexpected happens, I will complete those early.  

The Dreaded  Food Diary is going fine. I think I only missed/forgot one thing and then couldn't remember when I had eaten it, so I estimated.  I also haven't been great about logging everything right away.   I'm doing a lot better than expected with it, however, and I'd give myself a B+ so far.  It's already yielding some interesting data.

• Like 1

sounds like you're doing great so far.

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Warriors' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Thank you, Blaidd.

UPDATE:

Challenge Goal 1:  Add 25 pounds to my squat for a total of 165
- Starting squat - 140 lbs.  Stayed at 150 lbs today.
Goal 40% complete

- Starting deadlift - 145 lbs.  Today: 165 lbs.

SUCCESS!  GOAL 100% COMPLETE!

Okay, that happened a lot sooner than I expected. The little back issue I had seems to have resolved itself.  Now I just have to bring up the squat a little.

- 35 day challenge, I've logged everything, so 8 days complete.

Goal 22.8% complete

Here is a chart that shows my progress since I started on January 8.

a3y9eFO.png

• Like 1

Thank you!!

UPDATES:

I changed my set/rep scheme. I'm now doing sets of 3 instead of 5 and ramped up instead of the same weight across. That means I can push a little more weight at the same strength level. Therefore, it only made sense to add a little to my original goals.

Using various online calculators, it seems that 165 for 5 is roughly equivalent to 175 at 3. So those are my updated goals.

CHALLENGE GOAL 1, UPDATED: Squat 175 lbs.

Current weight: 160.

Oof. Another 15 lbs. but I have 3 weeks to do it.

CHALLENGE GOAL 2: UPDATED: Deadlift 175 lbs.

Current weight: 175

GOAL STILL COMPLETE. WOO!!

CHALLENGE GOAL 3: THE DREADED FOOD DIARY

Well, I'm doing it and I'm recording everything, but I'm not doing it in a timely fashion. I usually do it once a day. I'd give myself a B or B-minus at this point. It would be a C except I expected to fail completely, so I'm giving myself a bit extra credit. Let's see if I can bring my grade up. Using Google Sheets is working well, though.

I was hoping that having to write things down would be a deterrent to eating badly. I'm eating reasonably well, but the food diary isn't really contributing to that. I couldn't have started this thing if I thought I would be sharing it, but maybe sharing it would actually help me. Starting tomorrow, I think I'll try posting it. Eek.

• Like 1

Ay caramba!

I decided to go for broke and add 10 lbs to both my squat and deadlift today.  Mission accomplished on both counts.

- Deadlift:  185 lbs.  It felt like my form on my last rep was pretty ugly, so I'm going to hold here for a session or two.

- Squat:  170 lbs.  That's only 5 lbs off my revised goal, and I felt like I still had plenty of gas in the tank.  I should hit the goal on Thursday. 

Assuming I hit it, that will mean 2 of my 3 (revised) goals accomplished within the first 3 weeks of my challenge.  (I started a week late so it's really a 5 week challenge.)

I think I may declare a bonus challenge for myself.  Conveniently, April 5 is both the end of my challenge and the 12 week anniversary of starting my program.  Maybe I'll see if I can hit "the 500 club" by April 5.  My 3-rep max for squat, deadlift, and bench press combined are already 470...

I'm doing a food diary too, not as one of my challenges but just to see where I end up, and how I feel eating at certain calorie/macro levels. I don't enjoy it either! Mainly because I get overly geeky about it. But it has helped me with my 'eat slowly' challenge, so. Just trying to look at it as data and not be married to it. Not really fun, though, is it?

Tallfellow Halfling Warrior, Level 1

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 1 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

Quest 1  Battle Log

Strength train 3x/week (14/18 workouts, 1 w/o = 5.5%)

77%
77%

Eat slowly to 80% (34/42 days, day = 2.4%)

81.6%
81.6%

10 strict pushups (achieved!)

100%
100%

waywardsister:  I'm an utter failure at the eating slowly/mindful eating thing.  I plan to work harder on that in the future.

UPDATES:

Challenge Goal 1 (revised): Squat 175 lbs.
Current weight: 175.

COMPLETED!!

Challenge Goal 2 (revised): deadlift 175 lbs.
Current weight: 185

COMPLETED!

Challenge Goal 3:  The Dreaded Food Diary

Welp, I'm doing even worse than before.  In fact, I now have a 3-day gap in it.  I'm tempted to say "screw it," but I'm not going to.  My grade will suffer mightily, though.

I think I may declare a bonus challenge for myself.  Conveniently, April 5 is both the end of my challenge and the 12 week anniversary of starting my program.  Maybe I'll see if I can hit "the 500 club" by April 5.  My 3-rep max for squat, deadlift, and bench press combined are already 470...

Okay, well, see, I did that one already too.  Yesterday, March 19, my 1-rep max for squat was 200.I don't even have to figure out my 1-reps for deadlift or bench, because I'm doing 3 reps at 185 and 115 respectively.  That gives me 500. So...

Bonus Challenge 1: Join the 500-Club

Squat, DL, and Bench combined = 500

COMPLETED!

And so I declare...

Bonus Challenge 2:  Stop Adding So Damn Much Weight to the Bar!

I said above that I was going to try switching from a mostly 3x5-across scheme to a 5x3-ramped scheme.  The good news is that my max weights shot up.  That's why I hit my goals so much earlier than expected.  The bad news is that I just don't feel confident at those max weights. I like the ramping, but it means cutting into my warm-up sets.  I like warm-up sets.

I love having a higher max weight, but not if it means I'm not doing as good a job of building a solid foundation of strength.

So I'm going to take the next two weeks and re-set. I'll stay at my current weights, and work my way back to being able to do 3x5 (mostly) on them.  I'll go back to using the same warm-up set scheme as before.  (Basically as directed in Starting Strength)    After April 5, I will start making progress again.  I may do some light ramping, like adding weight only to the last set or two and then starting at that weight next time.

Not adding weight will be the hardest challenge of all!   But I think it's absolutely imperative that I learn to hold back sometimes.

So here are my current weights and the set/rep scheme I will be going back to:

Squat: 175 lbs. 5x5 

Deadlift: 185 lbs: 1x5

Bench Press: 115 lbs: 3x5

Overhead Press: 75lbs: 3x5

Pendlay Row: 90 lbs: 3x5  (My current weight is actually 95, but my form sucks, so I'm de-loading)

The one exception I might make is going to 185 on squat.  I think I have plenty of gas in the tank on that one, and I'd rather use a pair of 25s on the bar than 4 10s.  (I know that's silly, but I'm permitted a little silliness, right?)

I also do a couple of accessory and finisher items, but I'm ignoring them for now.