Hey...you ever wonder why we're here?

Hello, all!

It's been a few years since I was last around here, so here I am starting over.

Last time I was here I was finishing up college, which quickly turned into working 60-70 hour weeks and not having much time for anything else. I'm in a new job now (thankfully) and have been working on getting fit. My current roommate is a personal trainer, so I convinced him to train me in exchange for a reduced share of the rent responsibilities. It's a win-win and knowing that he's counting on the money is actually more motivating for me to get to the gym than if you offered to pay me that money to go. Call me a nice guy, I guess.

It's been a few weeks now that we've been meeting up at the gym 3x/week, minus scheduling conflicts. I'm definitely getting a bit stronger even with the limited amount of work we're putting in. I'm down about 8.5lbs since last month, which is encouraging. I've been limiting myself to about 1800cal/day, which is much easier when I cook for myself and eat good food (since I can typically make a huge meal for ~500cal).

The motivation behind this (besides the fact that I've always "wanted" to be more fit) is that I'm speaking at an international conference in my industry in late July, and I've made a goal to need to buy a new suit for it (as in, make my current one not fit so I need a new one). With the 6 months I have from early Feb to late July, I think I can reasonably be sitting around 200lbs (-50lbs from where I started). My suit pants are already 1"-2" too big, so I'm off to a good start. I punched a new hole in my belt yesterday, and I'm feeling good about continuing on.

I'm going to try to be pretty active around here (I can do that now with this job), so if we share anything in common, or not, hit me up. Having friends who have similar goals will be a benefit here.

I'm a fan of firearms, coffee, dark liquors, all things Rooster Teeth, hunting, watches, and some gaming (mostly minecraft), although I haven't picked up a new system in a few years and I don't have XBox Live.

Looking forward to meeting some'a'y'all!

-Jared

• Like 2

5'11'' Male

SW: 251 | CW: 199 | GW: 175

Battle Log: Grifball's Freelancer Training

"I WILL EAT YOUR UNHAPPINESS." - Michael J. Caboose

From the list of things you mentioned, we have exactly no things in common, but that doesn't mean we can't be friends, right?! Haha

• Like 2

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

Hello! My husband and I own many guns, but he's the enthusiast. We have a Ruger SR22, S&W M&P 9mm Shield, CZ-52 Tokarev, AR-7, AR-15, Benelli Nova 12g Shotgun, H&R 32S&W and a Colt Army Special 32-20. The only reason I know what they are is because I just read them off a list I had him text me and saved in my phone.

My thing is paintball...I wish I knew how to hunt, because I'd be all over hunting rabbits and things to feed my dogs to save me money.

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

That's a pretty great collection. The H&R and the Colt are some interesting pieces.

I'm actually more of a bowhunter than a rifle hunter, but you can take rabbits with either. You should pick up a cheap .22 rifle and start picking up some rabbits if you live in the right sort of area! IIRC, most places are always open season on small game like that, and if you live in the right sort of place, you can pop them right off your back porch.

5'11'' Male

I'd rather bowhunt! I've always wanted to learn, but I've never really used a bow. I don't think I'd be able to use a heavy enough one for hunting since I probably can't even pull 50lbs, but I would love to get into it. I'd also rather not have to worry about cleaning metal fragments out of the meat. I just realized, of all the people I know that feed their dogs raw like we do, and of all the different kinds of meat I've seen people use, I don't recall ever seeing someone feed squirrel. That's weird. Maybe I have and I just didn't take notice...

• Like 1

Spoiler

Bowhunting is great. It feels much more sporting than rifle or shotgun hunting, and it's WAY cheaper to practice in the offseason since you can reuse arrows. Typically you can shoot a bow in more places than you can a gun, too.

FWIW, you can take down a deer with as little as a 30lb draw IIRC, but you may be surprised how much you can pull. Compound bows also make it a lot easier. I have a 60lb draw with 75% let-off, so when I get to full draw, it only takes 15lb of force to hold it back. Technology is a beautiful thing.

I can't imagine any reason squirrel couldn't work as dog food...people eat it...wild animals eat it...why not dogs?

5'11'' Male

I've been telling my husband for a while now that I'd like a bow, and he always recommends a compound, but he keeps spending all our extra money on guns! haha It's MY turn, damn it! I'll get one when I get home from this deployment. There's an archery range pretty close to my house that does lessons and they just built a massive Gander Mountain right down the road so I'm set. We have a lot of rabbits in our area, but I've never looked into the laws regarding hunting them. I'm pretty sure I can't raise them where I live...

Spoiler

SPECIES : DATES (INCLUSIVE) AND ZONES : HOURS : DAILY LIMIT : POSSESSION LIMIT

Rabbit (Cottontail & Swamp) : Nov. 7, 2015 - Feb. 15, 2016 (Statewide) : Sunrise to sunset : 4 : 10a

Squirrel (Fox and Gray) : Aug. 1, 2015 - Feb. 15, 2016 (Statewide) Closed Nov. 20 - 22 and Dec. 3 - 6 in counties open for firearm deer hunting : 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset : 5 : 10a

a = On the 2nd day of the hunting season, you may possess no more than twice the daily bag limit.

Hunting, Trapping, Etc. No person shall hunt, kill, entrap, injure

or destroy by any means any bird or animal within the City limits, unless first having

obtained permission from the Chief of Police and the State of Illinois. Humane trapping

by the Humane Society, Animal Control, Police Department or their designee shall be

exempt from this provision.

Rabbits aren't specifically mentioned as unable to be raised...I could probably get away with it if I were so inclined, but I've watched some dispatching videos and I don't think I have the stomach for it yet.

Spoiler

I joined a group on fb that raises rabbits for food to hopefully desensitize myself. They've pretty much all said it's really hard at first but then you get over it.

Spoiler

Woohoo! Knew there'd be another RT fan here somewhere.

Going good. Goals are coming along nicely, yes. Should be looking reeeaaal good by next RTX.

I haven't actually played Grifball in years, but it seemed like a fun name to use here.

• Like 1

5'11'' Male

i don't like guns. but i like to punch people in the nose! and i fuckin love minecraft!

Minecraft is brilliant in its simplicity and way more fun that it has any business being.

I haven't punched anybody in the nose in a long time. Seems like fun though. I should learn to box one of these days...

• Like 1

5'11'' Male