KH5 - 1hr/wk job related training - Started Mar 3

KH6 - No sandwich bread (including buns) at home or work.- Started Mar 16

Snack last night after log in - 1/2 apple w/ almond butter and nuts

Breakfast - protein shake, hard boiled egg

Lunch - burger no bun, fruit/vegy bag

Dinner - grilled salmon again, salad, milk 

Snack - 1 soda, 5 m&m's

w/o - 5min tread + 5 pullups + stretching, wt 162.6

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's (keystone habits).  Plenty sore today after yesterdays strength training.  Managed 5 full lower pullups.  I'm sure my strength is increasing some, but I think a good amount of increasing my pullup reps lately is due to my body figuring out the proper form.

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Habits

KH1- 5 star desk - Started Dec 23
KH2 - Exercise everyday - Started Jan 1
KH3 - Manage home records - Started Jan 2
KH4 - Eliminate night time crap - Started Jan 14

Breakfast - protein shake, hard boiled egg
Dinner - rice/brocolli casserole, salad, milk 
Snack - 1 soda, 5 m&m's
wt 162.2lb
w/o - ubst1 - cut back ever so slightly tonight as Monday's w/o left me pretty drained.

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's (keystone habits).  Might have to add some food.  My wt might be edging down.  I don't want to lose anymore. 

Current Challenge 

Your meals today look delicious. How do you convince yourself to eat just 5 M&Ms? You must have amazing willpower.

• Like 1

Level: 3    Race: Wood Elf

STR: 4    DEX: 4    STA: 5 CON: 4    WIS: 4    CHA: 5

Previous Challenge Current Challenge

Spoiler

5%

Bodyweight Workout 3X per week (1of 18 total)

8%
8%

Cardio 2X per week (1 of 12 total)

23%
23%

30 Days of Yoga - Day 7 Completed

Your meals today look delicious. How do you convince yourself to eat just 5 M&Ms? You must have amazing willpower.

Not sure I even want the m&m's.  Just eat them out of habit cause my wife keeps a candy dish w/ them in the house.  So I grab 5 and it seems to satisfy my taste buds.  As long as thats where it stops, I'm happy.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

Apr 16

Wt - 161.2

Snack last night after log in - almond butter w/ 1/2 apple and nuts 

Breakfast - protein shake, 1 hardboiled eggs, 2 strips bacon

Dinner - salad, steak, sweet potato, soda 

Snack - 1 soda, 5 m&m's,

w/o - 5min tread + pullups + stretch 

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's.  Wt has dropped too far.  Want to stay at 163-164.  Was 161.2 this morning.  Going to start adding 2 strips bacon to my normal breakfast of protein shake + hardboiled egg.  Also going to try adding 1/2 sweet potato and a little more meat to my dinner prior to my workout.  Read you should get some fast acting carbs going before the w/o.  We'll see how that goes.  Trouble is my w/o is only 1/2 hour after dinner and i don't want to be too full.  Might try adding the sweet potato to my lunch instead.

Current Challenge 

Wt 162.6
Snack last night after log in - almond butter w/ 1/2 apple and nuts 
Breakfast - protein shake, 1 hardboiled eggs, 2 strips bacon
Dinner - salad, chicken rice casserole, soda 
Snack - 1 soda, 5 m&m's,
w/o - strength training - added a set of squats w/ bar just to get me started.  Cut back on some of the sets on other exercises. 

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's.  Decided to start adding squats to my strength training.  Haven't done any lower body work in the past for 2 reasons.  One, my thighs are out of proportion to the rest of my body, probably due to the 10 years I spent as a grocery clerk where I did hundreds of squats a night stocking shelves.  Second, Neither of my main sports, kayaking or wall climbing require large thighs.  But I decided it would be a good overall conditioning exercise, so I'm going to start adding a couple sets.  Must be the influence of the warrior team I'm on.

Current Challenge 

Apr 20

Wt 163.6
Snack last night after log in - pie (1st time I've eaten a pastry type crap food in months)
Breakfast - protein shake, 2 strips bacon
Dinner - salad, porkchop, milk
Snack - 1 soda, 5 m&m's,
w/o - strength training - added 2 sets squats.  Starting out w/ low wts. 

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's. Using Duhiggs process is like putting a plane on autopilot.  You just sit back and everything happens automatically.  Below is a video of a friend of mine and me whitewater kayaking in Charles City, Iowa 2 weeks ago.  The water was the best I've ever seen it.  Some of the waves were great keepers.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

Wt 163.6

Breakfast - protein shake, hard boiled egg.  Should have added 2 strips bacon

Dinner - salad, porkchop, milk

Snack - 1 soda, 5 m&m's,

w/o - stretch + 10 pullups (spread over 3 sets) + 5min tread 

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's. I guy at work asked me if I was losing wt.  I happily said yes, I had dropped to 163lb.  He had a concerned look as he said "you shouldn't drop anymore".  Now this guy is very nice and I like him a lot.  He is also at least a 100lb's overweight.  It was minor, I'm sure he wasn't trying to be mean, and I'm not going to let it get to me, but it was kind of annoying.  I mean, 163 is light for someone 5'10", but I'm 54 and I've been small boned and muscled my entire life.  I'm pretty sure that the wt I dropped (from 171) was fat since I dropped at about 1lb/wk, ate what I consider to be a healthy diet (I wasn't hungry during it, I just reduced sugar and flour intake and increased vegy's while still eating meat) and did heavy lifting 3 days/wk plus some form of less intensity every other day.  I can easily tell the difference in the looseness of my pants, as well as in my face and neck.  It was just kind of annoying to hear that.

Current Challenge 

Apr 22

Felt totally drained the last 2 days.  Not sure what the issue is.  Think I might have a sinus issue cause my head doesn't feel right.  Also wondered if I just need to eat more, so I skipped salad tonight and had triple helpings of roast, potatos, and brocoli for supper.  Also used my placeholder w/o (10 freebody squats) in place of my strength training w/o thinking I might just be exhausted.  This is the first time I've felt sick this year.  Hopefully either eating more supper or skipping the w/o will help.

Current Challenge 

Just a little something I wrote on another site regarding the difference between using 3 different methods for trying to make a change in ones life:

If you are like me, you would be a millionaire if you had a dollar for every time you started and stopped something. Even after swearing this time would be different. 

In order to understand why this occurs, one needs to understand the difference between motivation, will power, and habit. 

Motivation is the spark that gets us started. Its a combination of the realization that something needs to be done, coupled with the point where the desire for that change outweighs the resistance to taking the first few steps. The need for the change is generally something that has existed for some time (like being overweight). The spark for motivation occurs when the weight of the need reaches a tipping point which pushes us to step outside our comfort zone and take a first step toward making the change. At times, this could be an outside stimulus (such as a comment from someone) or internal (getting out of breath climbing a short set of stairs). In summary, motivation is what gets us started. 

Will power is what initially keeps us repeating the change we desire. Take going to the gym after not having exercised for 3 months. This requires a change in our life. Our systems generally do not like change. We have to take time out of our schedule, it feels awkward while we get started, it reminds us how out of shape we have gotten. Will power is using the conscious part of our mind to force ourselves to do something we would rather not do. Unfortunately, will power is a finite quantity. It is eroded with time and use. The need for will power may diminish for a while, but the first time life gets stressful, the mind will weigh the benefit of the desired change (such as exercise) against the quick reward of curling up on the couch, eating some ice cream, etc) and the desired change will lose out. 

A habit is an automated process your mind follows in response to a cue because it wants a percieved reward. Habits are lasting. Habits can be created intentially or accidentally. Nobody ever strived to develop the habit of binge snacking at night, drinking coffee every morning, or watching TV for hours at a time in the evening. These were accidental habits. Good habits such as exercise, drinking extra water, etc are not likely to come about accidentally. These must be developed and the mind must be taught to accept the routine of following them after a cue occurs in anticipation of a reward. Once this loop is created, a new habit is in place. 

Motivation and initial will power are still necessary. But the development of a habit is what creates sustainability. Duhiggs book explains how to do this.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

The video was awesome, totally freaks me out being underwater, even though I am a swimmer.......go figure!

Looks like you're doing great, weight loss, all your habits now firmly established habits. Looks to me like you are winning this one. :)

Thanks 7.  I've always loved being underwater, which is weird since I almost drown when I was around 10.  Couldn't get head above water and remember wondering if I was going to die.  Suddenly someone grabbed me from behind and pulled me up.  But I love swimming underwater and can cover pretty impressive distances.  I used to go swim at a lake where they had rafts w/ diving boards and life guards.  I dive off right by the life guard so I could be sure they noticed me, then swim underwater all the way to shore just so I could look back and watch the lifeguard looking around.  Not nice, but I was a kid.  Most of being underwater is getting past the mindset of needing air.  I generally swim till I star needing air, then tell myself I can hold on for a 15 count, then do a 10 count, then a 5 count, then a few last strokes.

w/o - 5min tread + 10 pullups (spread over 4 sets (5+2+2+1) + stretching.  Wt 164.0

Kept all KH's.  Head is still congested.  Wondering if this could be allergies.  Never had them before, but I guess it could have started.  We'll see.  Wife wants me to try some medicine, but I prefer to take as little medicine as possible and let my body work for it.

Current Challenge 

Sounds as if you are having a rough week, but are keeping up all your habits anyway. When you make it to the other side, you are going to be so proud of yourself for sticking with it and using your placeholders as you had planned.

Hang in there!

• Like 1

Level: 3    Race: Wood Elf

STR: 4    DEX: 4    STA: 5 CON: 4    WIS: 4    CHA: 5

Previous Challenge Current Challenge

Spoiler

5%

Bodyweight Workout 3X per week (1of 18 total)

8%
8%

Cardio 2X per week (1 of 12 total)

23%
23%

30 Days of Yoga - Day 7 Completed

Added a new Keystone Habit - Daily Planning Process

My last 2 KH's were for desk cleanliness/organization and 1hr training per week.  Now I want to work on increased efficiency brought on by improved planning.  I've updated my planning spreadsheet (schedule of projects I am involved in) to include a daily To Do list.  I've created a daily schedule of events that I will create a habit of following.  This will be the Routine portion of the Cue/Routine/Reward loop:

1st day of week

Review weeks calendar  

Start of day

Copy To Do list

Check calendar and add to To Do list

Review overall schedule and update To Do list  

End of day

Clear desk Review tomorrows calendar Update To Do list  

End of Thursday

Back up computer  

Last day of week

Update monthly charge tab Spray clean workspace

I created my Cue sign which will go next to my computer.

I've also identified the Rewards:

Reward

-Higher pay due to increased productivity.
-Higher pay due to increased training time.

The cue/routine/rewards go on the cue sign.  Same process I've followed on all the previous KH's which are now all on autopilot (habit created).  Duhigg's cue/routine/reward process is incredible.  The new habit will be added to the following previous habits I've created and kept everyday since their inceptions:

Current Challenge 

Got started on new habit first thing this morning.  My cue sign is hung next to my computer.  As I always do when starting a new habit, I took a minute to look at the sign/cue, read it, consider the rewards.

Reviewed this weeks calendar - no major meetings to prep for

Copied previous days To Do list above the previous days list on my planning spreadsheet - this will allow me to have a record of what I did each day which will benefit me when I have to enter my monthly charges.

Checked todays calendar and added to my new To Do list - No meetings to add.

Reviewed my high level Project list and added items to the To Do list - Prioritized these according to importance.

Total time required - 5 min

Start Finish Prod Priority Todays to do        

27-Apr         No meetings    

816 ISO

b          Work on VM project, channel list, etc      

b          Get machine and circle measurements      

c          Start TIC letter              

815 squeal

a          See if I can get on machine and hear squeal.      

b          Arrange to set imp inlet manifold relief              

730C

a          Write w/o for welder to remove wt      

b          Write w/o for cyl inspection

Not sure why I can't copy and paste a table in to my posts.  I've tried both IE and Chrome and always have the same problem.  Any suggestions?

Current Challenge 

Apr 27

KH7 - Daily planning process - Started Apr 27

Wt - 163.8

Snack last night after log in - nothing 

Breakfast - protein shake, hardboiled egg, slice of ham 

Dinner - salad, steak, milk 

Snack - 1 soda, 5 m&m's, 

w/o - Upper body strength training (ubst1)

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's. I really like the new daily planning process KH7.  I had my day planned well, checked off items as I completed them.  Much better organization of my work day.  Tonights w/o was pretty intense.  My cable pull down wt has been increasing.  I'm doing 4 sets now.  My last set was at my body wt and I got 5 reps in.  Hoping all the focus I've been putting towards cable pull downs translates into more pullups.  Also added some gripping exercises to improve my wall climbing capability.  Basically holding to plates together on their smooth sides (in each hand) till they slip out.  I can really feel it in my forearms.

Current Challenge 

The cue (part of Duhiggs cue/routine/reward process for developing habits) is whatever is used to remind your brain that you are developing a new habit.  Often times it is a sign posted.  The brain focuses on its percieved highest priorities.  New undeveloped habits are not high on the list of priorities in the subconscious, despite our resolve to start a new habit.  That is why it is critical stop and focus on the cue daily when starting a new habit.  The importance of this step can not be emphasized enough.  Yesterday, I started a new KH related to a Work Planning Process.  I made a sign titled Work Planning Process w/ the cue (the sign hung by my computer), the routine (details of what I intend to do), and the reward (higher pay through increased productivity) clearly stated on the sign.  This morning, I came in and immediately started in with my planning spreadsheet, diligently checking my calendar, yesterdays unfinished work, and new items I need to address, and put all of these in the spreadsheet w/ color codes for priority.  I followed the routine, but view this as a failure because I did not take the time to focus on the cue.  I can not emphasize enough that the cue must be part of the routine for the first few weeks in developing the habit.  One must stop, acknowledge the cue (I actually quietly state out loud that this is my cue, and I read the entire sign.  This must be done each day.  The more times the cue is actively read and acknowledged, the stronger the recognition in the subconscious.  Since I did not actively acknowledge the sign, I failed in the process of developing the habit this morning despite the fact the I completed the desired routine.  If you don't acknowledge the sign and stop to read it and reinforce the desired routine in the brain, the sign will simply become background noise and is of no use.

I did the same for my "exercise everyday" habit.  My cue was the gym bag sitting in my front seat.  Each time I got in the car and saw the bag (which was several times a day), I stated out loud that the bag was my cue to exercise daily and that my reward would be improved kayaking and wall climbing.

This step is the easiest to ignore, but one of the most essential steps during the initial period of developing a habit.

Current Challenge 

Apr 28

Wt - 163.0

Snack last night after log in - pie

Breakfast - protein shake, hardboiled egg, 2 strips bacon

Dinner - salad, steak, milk 

Snack - 1 soda, 5 m&m's, 

w/o - 5min tread, 10 pullups (5+2+2+1), 13 crunches, 4 sets 20 hand clench machine, pinched 2 plates, stretching

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's.  The new KH7 is great.  Helps me maintain focus on 1 project at a time and work in blocks of time.

Current Challenge 

Apr 29

Wt - 163.2

Snack last night after log in - pie

Dinner - salad, fried chicken, milk 

Snack - 1 soda, 5 m&m's, 1 cookie

w/o - ubst, added clenches and plate pinches again.  Killer on the forearms.

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's.  Just realized I forgot to update my daily planning worksheet at the end of work.  I filled it in at the start of the day as required, but forgot to update it at the end of the day.

The wt I'm using on my back exercises is increasing rapidly, especially my cable pull downs.  This is the exercise that most closely translates to the muscles used during wall climbing and pullups, so I'm mighty happy about that.  My last set of pulldowns is 165 which is above my body wt (without even adding in frictional forces).  So yeah for me.

Current Challenge 

If I don't post tomorrow, I won't be posting until May 5.  Going ww kayaking on the Wolf and Peshtigo in Wisconsin on May 1-4.  There is a section I've chickened out of every one of the 4 times I've been to that section.  Its called horse race.  It requires a sharp turn at the top of a 40' sloped drop.  If you miss the turn, you run into a rock called dog fang which has an upstream point and is washed out below it (can trap you, not good).  Also, the waves on the turn are pretty crazy.  Flipping over there means a long ride upside down while you go down the slope.  Hoping I muster the courage this year.  As the klingons like to say "it's a good day to die".  Maybe that will be my motto.

Current Challenge 

KH7 cue reviewed.  Followed through by completing my morning planning process actions.  Neat thing about this.  Each day I copy the previous day's action items and paste above them.  So this is giving me sort of a diary of what I worked on.

Must remember to update my action item list tonight before I leave.  I forgot to do that before I left last night. That was a failure.

Since I will be on vacation starting tomorrow, I will need to remember to spray clean my desk tonight. 

Current Challenge 

May 5

Wt - 163.2

Snack last night after log in - vacation, lots of crap

Dinner - salad, couple of nasty meatballs, milk 

Snack - 1 soda, 5 m&m's, 3 cookies

w/o - 5min tread, 5 pullups, 10 incline sit ups, forearm exercises, stretch

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's.  Exhausted all day from vacation.  Went whitewater kayaking on the Wolf and Peshtigo in Wisconsin.  Water was low, but that was perfect as I tried a new section + did a fall I'd chickened out of in the past.  Awesome time.  Will provide a video in about a week.

I'm in one of those stages where I'm trying to decide my focus.  I'm making strength gains in my back w/ my current w/o which is my primary focus (despite not gaining fat).  Problem is that it is summer so I want to paddle every Saturday and climb most Sundays.  That takes a lot of energy and leaves me drained.  If I try to keep up w/ the strength training, I'll get too tired and run down.  Part of me says to reduce the intensity of my 3 day a week high intensity wt lifting.  Another option would be to reduce the intensity on just Mon and Fri, but keep Wed at high intensity.  So many wants, but at 54, only limited energy.  Also considering dropping my desired average wt from 164-165 down to 161-162.  I really like the leanness of my stomach at that range and the 3lb ave reduction is surprisingly noticeable.

Current Challenge 

May 6

Wt - 164.2
Snack last night after log in - vacation, lots of crap
Dinner - salad, 3 strips bacon, chicken w/ peppers, milk 
Snack - 1 soda, 5 m&m's, 2 cookies
w/o - upperbody strength training

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's.  My most recent KH7 morning planning process is paying off in productivity.  I used to lose focus a lot when I finished one task.  Now I check my priority list and move to whatever is next in urgency.  Its one of the side effects of the KH.  I've found that all of the habits I've developed and these side effects.  I think its pretty much impossible to make a change w/o it affecting other things.

Well, after being super tired yesterday from my trip, I've recuperated restwise and regained my motivation for strength training and staying the course on my upper body training with my current workout.

Current Challenge