• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

salc

1% vs Skim Milk?

Hello!

I've started to reintroduce milk into my diet, and I feel no problems so I'm going to continue. The only options I have (college campus) are 1% and Skim milk. Which one would be better? 

Thanks!

Neither. Milk is a rich source of fat soluble vitamins. If you remove the fat, your body will struggle to absorb the majority of its beneficial contents.

Don't be afraid of fat but keep your intake reasonable depending on your physique goals.

I'm a little surprised your campus doesn't offer other varieties. Honestly, given only those options, go with the 1%, though whole would be your best bet. I wouldn't drink 1% often, if ever, though.

Yeah, I just double checked. Not even 2%! Only Skim and 1%. Is it so not worth it? Either whole or nothing?

Milk is still a good source of protein, so I wouldn't go so far as to chuck it out completely. But I wouldn't recommend consuming GOMAD level quantities of the stuff either. I'm sure you've heard before that fat doesn't make you fat, as long as you've got other decent fat sources in your diet it shouldn't be a major problem. Given your a student too I'm assuming you're skint like me :) so go nuts on eggs would be my advice.

• Like 1

Sometimes we just have to work with what we have and in this case drinking 1% is you're best option.

I'm sure you'll have little trouble getting fats through other foods in the cafeteria.

I've been known to throw some half and half into low fat milk to bring the fat content up and to make it taste better. Is that an option?

A lot of half and half creamers are just a mix of cream and low fat milk anyway.

Sometimes we just have to work with what we have and in this case drinking 1% is you're best option.

I'm sure you'll have little trouble getting fats through other foods in the cafeteria.

I've been known to throw some half and half into low fat milk to bring the fat content up and to make it taste better. Is that an option?

A lot of half and half creamers are just a mix of cream and low fat milk anyway.

Yep, there's half and half! You think I should mix?