Frost unthaws

It's been a long cold winter along the Valley the snow piled up (82 inches so far), pipes burst, the wind blew so that any exposed skin would be frozen within a half hour, so needless to say Frost didn't get to many long runs in.

According to the Soothsayers the winter is behind them and that the warm winds will return carrying the muddy return of Spring. Frost knows that the trails will become impassable in the upcoming weeks so he will venture out to check out the damage to the cities and villages around his homestead while building up his lost endurance to conquer the Mountains later in the season.

writing about myself in 3rd person is strange

Goals:

Start building up my base mileage again; seriously all this winter it would drop about 6-7 inches of snow on a Monday/Tuesday and then be about 0f on Tuesday night with wind chills around -20f and those temps would last until the next snow storm would blow in. So basically if you didn't get out on Tuesday and shovel your sidewalk it would become an icy trail capable of breaking ankles and with snow just piling up streets became almost to narrow to drive down, (whatever garage around here that replaces cars side view mirrors are going to make a killing this spring) running down the street during any waking hours became really dangerous.

Run 4-5 weekdays 3.1 - 4.2miles a day and get up like I would for work on the weekends and get some miles in before everyone else gets up starting with 6-7 miles

Keep up with core bodyweight workouts, actually find a workout and start doing it a couple of times a week, I was lucky enough to get a www.gorilla-gym.com for Christmas so I've been doing pull ups, chin ups and inverted rows everyday at random times (basically anytime I had to go up stairs) so I feel like I have a good base going so I'm going to start to add more to it

Eat, no seriously I have to learn how to eat, not just healthy but eating overall, I started keeping a food journal one week when I got my fitbit and quickly stopped because I realized that I was constantly under eating, so I'm going to find a diet that I like and stick with it. Not because I need to lose weight but because I need to try and consume 2,000 - 2,500 calories a day healthily

Connect with people, Seriously all of my friends from high school either are people that I don't want in my life because of their stupid unnecessary drama or they were smart and got the hell out by joining the military; and all of my college friends scattered amongst the wind to find jobs in other states/parts of the world due to the fact that only jobs around here are .gov or hospitals and the rest are pretty much service industry jobs to cater to those workers.  When I started at my current job with 500 people the average age was 54 needless to say I didn't have a lot in common with my co-workers. Well since I was hired nearly 300 people have retired so the avg age has dropped considerably like almost 15-20years.

Upcoming races:

Dodge the Deer 5k

Mastodon Challenge 15k

Tawasentha Mud Mania 5k

Run for the Roses 5k

Arsenal City 5k (20th in a row)

Fall half marathon (haven't decided which one yet)

Funny thing about the gorilla gym, it came with the TRX straps so I'll be doing a work out and my kids will think it's play time, my oldest daughter will do pull ups and inverted rows with me while the youngest just grabs the straps and swings, at two years old she can support her whole weight with her grip strength and says "I'm Super Girl" while she swings, it's awesome.

• Like 1

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

Welcome Frost of the Gloaming (my favorite time of day, btw)

Nice that the kids are into it. Yay.

I totally get the learning to eat. It's not a no-brainer. Our bodies are all different, AND our bodies are always changing and needing different things. So I think it's a good goal indeed.

Do you have any Meet-Ups going on near you that you might like?

I am in similar snow/ice streets. It's crazy tight out there. And still, they insist on parking on both sides of the street. I think it got above freezing today though, so now I'm hoping we don't get too many ice jams.

Now go out and get some sweat going!

Good Luck!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

So I didn't get out to run over the weekend, but I did end up throwing out 6 bags of crap and brought one giant bag of stuff to the Salvation army

Also without leaving my house yesterday I managed to walk 5.25 miles, mostly up and down stairs

So the nice weather is here, going out for my first "shorts" run of 2015

• Like 1

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

I'm doing the Mastodon challenge in May which is a very hilly race, so yesterday I went out and conquered some hills around my house and yea it's been a long winter; ouch

So this fall will be the 20th year in a row that I've run a certain race, so I'm going to make it my goal race, I plan on building up my mileage until July and then start working in more HIIT stuff over the summer; the goal is to go sub 20.

Daily Mile

Sweet. Hills are a beast, but I love doing them. But yea, oh so 'ouchy' after a break!

20 years for the same race? That's incredible. Wwweeeeeee!

Have fun training.

How's the rest of your life going?

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Did the Robert C Parker "snow" run 5k over the weekend, probably the slowest 5k I have ever done but will go down as one of the best. Woke up Saturday morning to see the ground coated in snow and that it was still flurrying; got to the race it was more than flurries with a steady wind, lined up at the start and made our way across a snow filled field turning onto an ice filled single track;  because of the fresh snow you couldn't see the random ice patches  that littered the trails like land mines just waiting to bring someone down, so we just went up and down a couple of little hills which wasn't bad it was after our first down hill descent that we ran into the first patch of ankle deep snow which is exactly like running in loose sand; and because it was all uneven and choppy I managed to kick myself in the back of the calf at least a hundred or more times which made it really tough to find an actual pace. On the back half of the course we made our way up a steady hill that the sun never hit so it was all ankle deep snow, it was rough. On my way to start the second loop I hit an ice patch took a tumble losing my glasses out of my pocket,  had to back track to find them, luckily that snow wasn't that bad so I only lost a minute or two. Only managed to trip up a hill once more after that.

So it was a nice hard run through the woods in a kilt.

• Like 1

Daily Mile