f2a0cc7f1c74bdfbdd7ea96f5bd2800226ca723e

I have a question for the members of the rebellion that serve in the morning guard (slaying dragons so the rest of the world can sleep peacefully).

This weekend I decided to try working out in the morning to see how I would feel through the rest of the day but there' s a question weather I should exercise before or after breakfast. My problem is that before breakfast I feel very weak, lacking energy... but after breakfast I feel food jumping around my stomach which is uncomfortable.

How do you deal with this problem?

I did do one set of my strength routine before breakfast today but then decided that I need to restore my energy reserves and had a breakfast.

• Like 1

I did the same when I first started out.

Obviously I'm no expert or warrior but what I've been trying to do is time it so I have at least half an hour after breakfast before I work out. Gives me time to wake up a bit and let the food digest a little :) 

• Like 1

Today, I want to be better than I was yesterday... so that I'm ready for tomorrow.

You could eat a portion of your breakfast beforehand and the rest after. Or, eat some during. Sometimes I take a banana or yogurt to the basement with me and eat between exercises.

• Like 1

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Thanks. I guess I'll have to try to eat something as soon as I wake up so it settles a bit before exercise but it's annoying that eating a little just makes me even more hungry :D

It would be great to figure this out before summer as exercise in the morning would be the easiest/ sometimes almost the only option (I hate high temperatures).

• Like 1

Ideally, you should eat some quick protein before your am workout. Try to avoid grains or fiber, which will make you feel a bit sluggish. I usually do peanut butter and toast. After your workout you fuel with some more protein and some carbs for your day.

Make sure you give yourself enough of a warmup.

Enjoy the morning guard! It's a good shift!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I usually work out in the morning too. Either I go at it with an empty stomach or have a snack only. A banana and a half glass of water is good, or a few spoonfuls of yogurt, or one eggmit.

Getting enough sleep and warming up properly helps. Working out is twice as hard when your body is like "wait what? I thought we were still in hibernation mode."

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I work out ridiculously early in the mornings for most people (before 6am most days) and breakfast very rarely feels like something appetizing that early.  I found my way around this was smoothies.  While I couldn't stomach eating anything and feeling it rattling around in my gut for the next hour while I tried to get stuff done, a liquid rush gives me a good shock to the system and plenty of energy to get things done.  Then I can grab a good breakfast afterwards.

• Like 2

Do the thing

2024 Intentions Roadmap

I hit the gym at 5am

its a lot harder these days now my workouts are getting more and more intense. ... Sadly I have succumb to trying pre-worlouts.

Make it the night before, wake up at 4:30 .... down a pre-workout .... 30 minutes later I am bouncing off the freaking walls as 400mg of Caffine surge through my body and the BCAA's, Creatine, Beta Alanine, L-Citrulline Malate, L-Arginine, D Aspartic Acid, and Agmatine Sulphate and Betaine. All go to work in a frenzy of chemical abuse to my body.

Annoyingly at 5am, preworkouts do actually work for me and my morning workouts are better than ever ...... finish by downing a protein and carb shake, have a shower and go to work .... where I promptly crash as the caffine wears off.

I am pretty sure its not good for you, so I dont take it every day .... just on the heavy workout days

• Like 1

Human | Ranger

Level 3 | STR: 8 | DEX: 2 | STA: 8 | CON: 5 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 7

Current Challenge / Second Challenge, /  My First Challenge

I mix up about 25g of BCAAs with 20 oz of water and sip it throughout my workout, then have a protein shake after my shower.

I picked up the habit after reading this article, though I don't follow the 16/8 intermittent fasting any more:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/05/early-morning-fasted-training.html?m=1

• Like 1

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Like Hiram, I'm usually out running before 6AM.  My morning workouts however are not that rigorous - just enough to kickstart the system and get the blood pumping.  If I was to do something more like weight-lifting I am certain I would need food before hand

• Like 1

Level 5 Shapeshifter Monk

STR 10.75   :   DEX 7.5  :   STA 8.5   :   CON 5   :   WIS 7.5   :   CHA 7

Challenge: I am an Avenger

Past: 1st, Draugr, Super-hero, Rocky

A soon-to-be married Kung Fu enthusiast