• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
don_dudley

Don's Journal

Well, it happened again.

Right before Christmas I lost ten pounds (got me down to 190). I weighed myself for the first time since Christmas this morning. 202. Ouch. My wife bought me a Snickers bar last night and I told her I was not aloud to have it unless I got under 200 pounds this week. She will be holding it for me until Sunday.

I woke up this morning to find Steve's article. To tell you the truth, I have "run" from Nerd Fitness since I knew I was eating in a manner that was out of control. In reality, I got his article from AOM in my inbox the other day and it reminded me to at least check in. So I did. Twice, man. Twice I have been bugged virtually by Nerd Fitness.

So, time to man up. Time to set some real goals and stick to them. Here they are fellas (and ladies):

1. Lose 16 pounds this 28 days. Thats 4 pounds a week. I know, a lot, but I think it is healthy and can be done.

2. One "junk" meal per week. That's right Snickers, I'm looking at you. Oh, and NO MORE SODA. Diet, regular, energy drink, etc. I have been such a sucker.

3. Work out like I am training to take out an Olympian.

About to make it happen, people. Make it happen.

-Don-

Walking on lunchtime....Take that Katrina and your waves (sorry, 80's music humor there...)

It was cold and windy today. But I decided to take a 40 minute walk during my lunch. It felt good, actually. I was walking around a park in front of our building when I eyed a little In-N-Out store. My mind said, "go get an energy drink....or a candy bar...or some chips."

Shut up brain, before I stab you with a Q-tip.

I kept my composure and avoided the store. Small victory.

Walking on lunchtime....Take that Katrina and your waves (sorry, 80's music humor there...)

It was cold and windy today. But I decided to take a 40 minute walk during my lunch. It felt good, actually. I was walking around a park in front of our building when I eyed a little In-N-Out store. My mind said, "go get an energy drink....or a candy bar...or some chips."

Shut up brain, before I stab you with a Q-tip.

I kept my composure and avoided the store. Small victory.

Ha, Don I have a feeling you'll like my post coming up this Thursday :) after reading your q-tip quote.

-Steve

Nevermind, changed the direction of my post at the 11th hour, but I still kept the pic of Homer in there.

I'll do a dedicated Simpsons post someday soon.

-Steve

Ok,

Yesterday had the ability to turn really bad. We had a FOUR HOUR MEETING. Thankfully, no one brought donuts.

I decided to try and stand up and stretch a little every thirty minutes or so. One of my co-workers said "looks like Don's ADD is acting up again."

At lunch I went walking for about 25 minutes and I made up for some lost time with a 20 minute after-dinner walk. Tonight I am adding some weight lifting into my mix.

As a married man with two kids, exercise can be hard. I talked to my wife last night about my laziness and expanding waist line. I told her exercise was hard for me because I cannot just go running for the hell of it...I mean...heck of it...

She gave me the mental permission I needed to "train" for something. She gave me some ideas (Triathlon, Marathon, get back into hockey, etc.). You would be surprised how that made my mind click. She told me I should get what I need so I can exercise. I used to use her as an excuse. I mean, why should I leave her with the kids for another 45 minutes each day (she is a stay at home mom)?

In turn, we talked about going geocaching (I mean, come on, this is NERD Fitness, right?) with our boys as the weather gets warmer. Now we can exercise and hang out as a family.

I love it.

Love it Don!

Congrats on getting through your 4-hour meeting too (ugh, I would have zoned out after 20 minutes).

-Steve

Hey guys and girls.

Sometimes, sort of bad things happen to sort of good people. Meaning me. Yesterday I helped my department load a truck full of computers and filing cabinets. Then, about 30 minutes later, we unloaded it. I was tired afterward and felt good. I was doing a lot of physical labor like I had not done in awhile. But you know what,

EVERY THING HURTS TODAY

OMG. I should have stretched before hand. My back, shoulders, neck, and legs feel it. Let this be a lesson to you. Stretch. It will save you the next day.

I stepped on the scale today to see what things looked like. I am under 200. Actually, I am at 199.5. That means I have lost 2.5 pounds in about 4 days. All I have done is eat right and go for walks (and the whole truck loading thing). Now that I have added weights into my workout, I am excited. I may be able to hit my 4-pound-a-week goal (well, probably not this week, but the next three).

Love it Don!

Congrats on getting through your 4-hour meeting too (ugh, I would have zoned out after 20 minutes).

-Steve

Yea, I started looking for a new ipod touch case on Bestbuy.com...

Did 30 minutes walking at lunch again. But that is not the "big" thing.

I was thinking about the payday candy bar stashed in my desk. Yesterday, my boss brought in some candy to share. I took one to be polite and stuck it in my desk.

I was thinking about eating it while walking today.

I had two thoughts concerning it:

Why did you set yourself up to fail?

Why don't you just eat it and shut up?

When I got back to my office, I heard a co-worker say "man, I wish I had a payday from yesterday..."

THERE IT WAS FOLKS! The sky broke open and a shaft of light shown on thy co-worker (shoot, he is like 6' 4" and skinny, he could use some candy in his life). I saw a payday candy bar come down out of heaven (er....from my desk) and and bestow itself upon someone other than me.

That's right. Now I look like a nice guy, and I saved myself a couple hundred calories.

I have to say, its all Steve's fault. This 28 day challenge makes me think about everything I eat.

-Don-

Lol, that's great news Don.

I know how you feel. It's hard when someone invites me out to lunch, but I can't go with them because they are going to a burger joint and I can't eat anything. You feel like you are abandoning your friends, but you have to realize that 1) your health should come first and 2) they are still your friends. You just have to find other ways to hang out with your friends that don't involve eating bad food. You might even try to find a way to exercise together!

Anyway, keep with it, and congrats on the under 200! I haven't been that light since high school!

don, i feel your pain... it's kind of an eye opener to realise just how unfit we are when all our muscles are screaming, what the hell are you doing to me!!!

And that is truly altruistic of you to give your candy away :)

First,

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. Sorry about the no weekend update. Got a wife and 2 kids (with one on the way). Days get busy, fast.

This weekend I built my wife a Sq. Ft. garden, got my dudes (my two boys) a sandbox, cut up some firewood for the firepit, had two beers (Killians) and a snickers.

And I am at 198! Thats four pounds kids. Gotta keep it up. More later. I have to install a Filemaker Pro database...my brain already hurts.

-Don-

I love it when your metabolism starts rolling. Know what I mean?

It seems that once you get started in your workouts, something happens around the second week and you start shedding pounds by sweating like Mike Tyson in a spelling bee.

I woke up this morning at 196! That is two pounds in three days! And I did not really even try. Shoot, I had the stupid birthday donut the other day! I think all my hard work over the last week, and especially the weekend, paid off.

But I want to be a little more disciplined. I am hoping to find a "poor mans" P90X out there. Anyone have any ideas?

• Like 1

You would not believe how good those Arby's market fresh sandwiches are. I dont even want to check the nutritional label.

I have a lot of physical labor laid out this weekend. Should be a good sweat fest. Gotta replace a ceiling in my basement, finish up some garden prep and on and on. The only hard part is, I have to go to a class this weekend where I know they will have donuts. If you are the prayin type, send one up for me to resist....

Have a good weekend all!

THanks for all the good support!

-Don-

Sign in to follow this