• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
don_dudley

Don's Journal

don, step away from the donut :)

I've been on a house reno workout this weekend and as we currently have no kitchen, had to walk to local bakery for lunch. Yes its true, I had a cream donut with my lunch. Bad bad girl. having said that, I feel bloated and revolting as a result, so DONT DO IT DON.

don, step away from the donut :)

I've been on a house reno workout this weekend and as we currently have no kitchen, had to walk to local bakery for lunch. Yes its true, I had a cream donut with my lunch. Bad bad girl. having said that, I feel bloated and revolting as a result, so DONT DO IT DON.

I wish I had had the resolve. I did it. BUT! I had only one, which is huge. Usually I have three or so during this time.

:shock:

Saturday started out OK. As I posted above, I had a donut (seems like it is my weakness, I always thought my weakness was things made of dark chocolate...) then I got sick.

I sneezed once and felt my sinuses drain. And drain. And drain some more. I was stuffed up beyond belief. Then my throat started to hurt more and more. No. This cannot be. The cough came shortly after and I felt like I was hit by a truck.

Regardless, I went on cleaning out the basement to prepare for the new ceiling install, hacked up my left lung, and started cleaning again. Saturday night I slept horribly. My wife made some crock pot chicken soup ( LOVE that woman!) and tried to comfort me. By evening I started to feel better. I hope to get back on the wagon today. I got my emergen-c and Chloraseptic ready to go.

I have not been on the scale, but I hope to give an update on that and some measurements here soon.

My life story

I think it might be good to kind of reflect on the weight loss / fitness journey a little. See, I was a fat kid. Talkin 200 pounds as a 7th grader (at about 5 foot 3 inches). At this point, eating was not the issue, not moving was. I played baseball in ninth grade but that was it. Most of the time I played Nintendo. I was the Zelda master...

The summer after my freshmen year, I made friends with a basketball player and we played a lot of basketball. I slimmed down to about 165 thanks to playing all summer and growing a couple of inches. For the first time since I was a kid, I was not afraid to take my shirt off to go swimming.

I stayed trim in high school and into my first two years of college, then it went bad. I became what some call a hacker. I was working with some guys who were always up to no good on the internets. They invited me in. We did everything from write viruses to movie piracy. This means I would sit in front of a computer for hours on end. My propensity to drink a lot did not help. My diet consisted of beer and pizza (and domino's fudgems for desert!).

A co-worker of mine was dumped by his girlfriend right before Christmas. He wanted to lose weight so he could either a) get her back, or B) get a new girlfriend. He told me to try joining a gym with him, so I did.

In January I joined a local gym. I benefited from the New Years deal and because there was two of us, they waived the down payment and starting fees. We got assessed on the spot. I was 225 pounds with a size 44 waist.

225. 44.

I would walk around aimlessly from machine to machine for almost two months. I did not know what to do. I never lost any weight because I failed to stretch myself and because I ate the same way. My friend started reading Body for Life in late February. I made fun of him for turning to a "fad" diet. Then he lost ten pounds in two weeks and was able to run two miles in 20 minutes.

I quickly joined him. He was the type who would call me to go workout and I would decline, so he would show up at my house and make me go. The pounds melted away. I lost 30 pounds by the mid April. I had to buy TONS of new pants. By mid May I was down to 170. I could hardly believe it. My waist was at 36 inches. I kept working out. I ran everyday (because I loved it). The best part was, I started working part time at Home Depot in their garden dept. I was lifting bricks and mulch into cars and onto shelves every day for five hours. I got paid to get a tan and to workout. By August I was at about 150 and I could see the top four of my six pack.

I failed because I got content. I would put on the weight over the next couple of years and balloon back up to 170.

Then I dated an "eater."

This girl was a dancer with a food issue. She was about 125 pounds at around 5' 8" when I started dating her. By the time we enabled each other to eat tons of junk she was 145 and I was 185 by the time we broke up nine months later. I remember Valentines day that year. We ate at P.F. Changs, got desert at Cold Stone, and then had a some brownie / ice cream cake later that night at her parents.

After we broke up I started walking more and doing light workouts. I got back to the mid 170's. After a pretty good summer and fall, I started dating the woman who would become my wife. She was good at eating and working out. She kept me pretty active until we got married. I was still in the 170's on my wedding day. Our first few months of marriage we stayed active and I hovered around the same weight. It was when my wife was pregnant that I decided to work out. I wanted to be able to keep up with my kids and not die at 65 from a heart attack. I was training with a pro at a gym and I shed ten pounds before putting on 20 in muscle over my wifes pregnancy (probably about eight months). I was up to 183 and my wife would even say "you changed your whole shape." I cut out sodium (seriously, maybe 35mg a day at most) and ate pretty raw foods and lean proteins. I was running for distance (5-10k a day, time permitting) and loving it.

After the baby was born, life happened and I am back where I started. Last weigh in was 196. I know have two boys with a daughter on the way. Thats why I do this.

I want to be able to participate with my kids, protect my family, and live long enough to see some great grand kids.

Don, you have the right mental attitude and thats a good starting point.

I'm thinking about following the primal blueprint and giving up grains and excessive carbs. Just got my book in the post yesterday and I have to say, the man makes a lot of sense. If you haven't already, check out Marks daily apple. It is incredibly informative and thanks to steve for putting a link to it through his blogs..

Here I sit. 196 pounds.

It really is my fault. I cannot blame it on anyone. Well, I can pass a little of the blame to being sick over the weekend.

Back on track this week. Hopefully I will have some good numbers to post here shortly. I will keep you all posted. I hope to get some weights in tonight so I can sweat like Mark McGuire taking a drug test.

-Don-

Sign in to follow this