Jackie Tarr, requesting permission to board

JackieTarr

I'm so glad to have found this community! Joining this challenge a bit late, but I'll do what I can!

Main Quest:

Build strength & tone muscles

I have always been naturally thin. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for this! HOWEVER. Skinny =/= Healthy, and Skinny =/= Strong. It's time to be proud of my body, not just grateful for it.

Goal #1: "Dragonrider"

Do yoga 3 times/week, for 30+ minutes.

I have taken a few yoga classes so far, and holy hell, am I hooked! No other workout ever "stuck" for me the way yoga has. I had always been skeptical of yoga, what with the "Om"-ing and the mythos... But ten minutes into my first class, I began to think of my body in a completely different way. Rather than a tool for my personal use, I recognized my body as a partner in our shared well-being. I don't own my body any more than [sUPER GEEK ALERT] Lessa of Pern owns Ramoth. My body is my dragon, who only speaks to me, and who has wishes, limitations, and abilities apart from my own. And I have always, ALWAYS wanted a dragon, you guys, so I will continue to think of my body in this intensely geeky way, and no one can even stop me.

My plan is to take one yoga class per week, and do two sessions at home.

Goal #2: "Fountain of Life"

Drink at least 20 oz of water each day.

This one sounds so pathetic... It's really not that much water. But! I'm a coffee junkie, and there's a giant, steaming coffee pot at work that's eternally full of decent-enough black gold. So, I've been forcing myself to drink a full bottle of water between each cup of coffee. That system is working pretty well so far, and I can feel the difference!

Goal #3: "Solar Power"

Wake up at 7:00 every morning.

Ugh. UGH! Getting out of bed is the hardest thing and the worstest thing. I've always been bad at it... Apart from any negative effects hitting "snooze" might have on my circadian rhythm or body temperature or whatever, I just feel like a failure when I have to rush out the door. i have to beat this habit, for my schedule and my self-confidence.

*EDIT: Wake up at 7:00 every weekday morning. Weekend lie-ins are allowed.

Side Quest:

Achieve "Messenger" status. Write one letter or postcard per week and send via snail mail.

Since moving away from home last April, I've felt disconnected from the people who know me best. I'm so afraid that I'll gradually lose touch with friends I care about, just because I can never think of something clever to put in a text. So, I'm deciding now to bring back the art of the less-than-perfect letter! Besides, everyone loves snail mail.

-

If you're reading this, best of luck with your own goals! You're the hero of your own story!

• Like 4

Jackie Tarr, the level 1 Elf Druid

Current challenge

Past Challenges: 1
STR 1 | DEX 2 | CON 1 | STA 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 3

First Full Day Update:

Tried to go to a yoga class this evening, but it filled up before I got there. Hung out at the studio anyway, because afterward I had work training.  I've made a Work-Trade agreement with the studio where basically, if I help tidy up before and after class, I can take that class for free! I had to commit to a class per week, so it'll help with my budget and my challenge. When I got home, I did 30 minutes of yoga, using the Strengthen and Lengthen video on Do Yoga With Me. Not quite as satisfying as a class, but it worked!

I drank my 20 oz water and then some, and woke up whenever because it's still my weekend (Sun-Mon). Tomorrow's when the real challenge starts!

• Like 1

Current challenge

Day 2 (Tuesday)

Goal #1: Did 30-minute yoga session (Rise and Shine) before work.

Goal #2: Drank 20+ oz water. ...And then some whiskey. But I got the water so we're good.

Goal #3: Hit snooze a couple of times, but woke up a mere 17 minutes after I intended to, so, progress!

Day 3 (Wednesday)

Goal #1: Went to my yoga Work-Trade class. This instructor is definitely going to challenge me, in a good way!

Goal #2: Drank 20+ oz water, grudgingly. Had a second cup of coffee before the water bottle, so it felt more like a chore. :\

Goal #3: FAILED SO HARD. Turned off the alarm, went back to sleep, got up at 8 instead of 7, and felt crummy about it all day.

Thanks for the support, guys. :) Tomorrow will be a great day!

Current challenge

Day 4 (Thursday)

Goal #1: No yoga today.

Goal #2: Drank 20+ oz water.

Goal #3: Woke up around 7:30! Not my goal, but early enough to eat breakfast at home like a human being, instead of in the car.

Side Quest: Used some extra time in the morning (still a weird concept!!) to write and send a postcard to one of our closest friends, and former neighbor, back home. It felt amazing, and I managed to not be a perfectionist about the length and phrasing of the message. :)

Day 5 (Friday)

Goal #1: No yoga today.

Goal #2: Drank 20+ oz water.

Goal #3: Woke up at 7:10ish. Not bad!

Day 6 (Saturday)

Goal #1: No yoga today.

Goal #2: Busy day at work! Drank 20+ oz water and resisted too much coffee.

Goal #3: Woke up an hour late. >.< Wanted to do yoga in the morning to start the day well, but ended up disappointed in myself all day instead. 

Day 7 (Sunday)

Goal #1: Went to a yoga class in the morning. The studio's founder was in town, and she led a class as a special event!

Goal #2: Drank 20+ oz water, happily.

Goal #3: Woke up at 7:20ish. Not bad, got to 8:30 yoga class with plenty of time to spare.

Gear Upgrade: Decided to invest in a much better yoga mat. I had been using this $30 Gaiam mat that I got at Target, and I was fighting a lot to keep myself steady, especially when my hands started to sweat. Target let me return it, no questions asked, and gave me the balance on a gift card! My studio sells higher-quality mats, and they said I could test them out in class on Wednesday. I'm trying to choose between the Jade Harmony and the Manduka ProLite. If anyone has used these, I'd love to hear your experience with them! Any Druids around?

• Like 1

Current challenge

Lessa of Pern owns Ramoth. My body is my dragon, who only speaks to me, and who has wishes, limitations, and abilities apart from my own. And I have always, ALWAYS wanted a dragon, you guys, so I will continue to think of my body in this intensely geeky way, and no one can even stop me.

:D PERN!:D I am still hoping to get at least a firelizard, as I've slowly come to realize that getting a real, large dragon is asking a bit too much from the universe. On a bit more serious note, love the metaphor. Do you find it helpful in your goals, like getting up early to "feed/walk/take care of" the dragon? Like you would have done if it was a dog, horse or a huge firebrathing dragon we were talking about? :)

Achieve "Messenger" status. Write one letter or postcard per week and send via snail mail. (....) Besides, everyone loves snail mail.

I think I might steal this idea for some quest in the future!.

Gear Upgrade: I'm trying to choose between the Jade Harmony and the Manduka ProLite. If anyone has used these, I'd love to hear your experience with them! Any Druids around?

Did you puchase any yet? I've had some good excperiences with the Manduka (like, it just works – nothing more to be said about the matter) and know a lot of people swear by it. The other one I didn't even know about (but I am living far out in the Yoga periphery, so there are lots of things that we simply don't have here), how did it seem in compairson to the other?

In general, I know it's sort of meaningless to write, but please don't beat yourself up on the days that don't go perfectly according to plan. Do a bit of yoga instead or something. Dragons don't like maltreatment, and your mind is telepathically connected to the dragon, which is kinda cool:) - I hope you don't take this the wrong way, as my intention is kindness (and not advice-giving).

Anyways, you're doing great! And good luck with keeping up the good work! I'm cheering on you, if that counts for anything :D

• Like 1

From the North, I am. Grammar applys here not.

Forest Elven Lightstalker Lv. 3

“Little by little, one travels farâ€.― J.R.R. Tolkien.

42%
42%

% of Available Sparklepoints Collected, Current Challenge

<p>

Thanks so much for posting, Wolf. This was a tough week, and it helps a lot to have some support here. :)

:D PERN! :D ...Do you find it helpful in your goals, like getting up early to "feed/walk/take care of" the dragon? 

I'M SO GLAD SOMEONE GETS THIS. So far, I've found the dragon analogy most helpful in terms of body image, rather than motivation. The biggest problem I have when thinking about my body is that doing things for it (working out, drinking water, etc.) always felt like another chore that I wasn't doing enough of. Now, I think of it more like caring for a partner. And the telepathy thing helps me remember to listen. ^_^

Did you puchase any yet? 

I did! Just yesterday, I decided on the Manduka ProLite. It feels great (although it needs some breaking-in), and moreover, it has a lifetime warranty that covers wear from general use! That's what sold me in the end. I'm very happy with it so far.

In general, I know it's sort of meaningless to write, but please don't beat yourself up on the days that don't go perfectly according to plan. Do a bit of yoga instead or something. 

Thank you, thank you! It's not meaningless, and the suggestions are welcome. It really helps to read this from someone else on a similar journey.

I hope your challenge is going well, Wolf! Just one more week!

• Like 2

Current challenge

Week 2.5 Update

Man... Last week, I learned the hard way that posting updates on here really keeps me focused on my goals. Work was nuts last week (registration opened for the Summer Camp I manage), and I took my work home with me a lot. So, I'll give a quick synopsis and then hop back on the wagon.

Goal #1: Did less yoga than I wanted to, but at least I went to my usual weekly class. I'm liking this instructor more and more!

Goal #2: Most days, I met my water-drinking goals. Some days, I convinced myself that more caffeine would be better, but it never was.

Goal #3: I'm starting to think 7:00 every morning is too ambitious. Maybe I should loosen my goal, like "wake up between 7 and 7:30"? I'm finding that with this all-or-nothing 7:00 goal, I just end up beating myself up about failing.

Side Quest: Sent a letter (in character) to my old performance group! They're putting on a Renaissance Faire next Saturday, so my partner and I sent them a goofy, encouraging note. :)

Current challenge

Week 2.5 Update

Man... Last week, I learned the hard way that posting updates on here really keeps me focused on my goals. Work was nuts last week (registration opened for the Summer Camp I manage), and I took my work home with me a lot. So, I'll give a quick synopsis and then hop back on the wagon.

Goal #1: Did less yoga than I wanted to, but at least I went to my usual weekly class. I'm liking this instructor more and more!

Goal #2: Most days, I met my water-drinking goals. Some days, I convinced myself that more caffeine would be better, but it never was.

Goal #3: I'm starting to think 7:00 every morning is too ambitious. Maybe I should loosen my goal, like "wake up between 7 and 7:30"? I'm finding that with this all-or-nothing 7:00 goal, I just end up beating myself up about failing.

Side Quest: Sent a letter (in character) to my old performance group! They're putting on a Renaissance Faire next Saturday, so my partner and I sent them a goofy, encouraging note. :)

Hi :) Sorry I am so late to your thread!

1. Doing ANYTHING is better than doing nothing! The deal you have with the studio is FANTASTIC! and I was going to suggest the Manduka but you already bought one. I need to shell out the money for one, like yesterday bc my Gaiam mat that I have had for five years and is horribly destroyed, needs to retire!

2. Why is it sooooo hard to drink water??? seriously whats up with that?

3. One of the GL's here (Blaidd) has a goal of getting up one minute earlier every single day of her challenge period, so by the end, shes up 42 minutes earlier, so try something like that maybe?

4. Snail Mail :wub:

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Thanks, Bekah! 

I don't know why it's so hard to drink water either!! Just habits, probably. I'm used to everything I drink being strongly flavored so it's hard to crave water the way I crave other things. But listening more closely to what my body wants is helping. :)

I highly recommend the Manduka! It's a sturdy piece of equipment, and it's performing great for me so far!

I did a 45 minute yoga video today (Empower Your Boundaries) that really challenged me. It felt great! I had to improvise the strap and block, though, haha. A rolled-up-and-rubber-banded towel worked alright as a block!

Current challenge

Heya!

Water is funny in how, after drinking it for three weeks I don't seem to want anything else and find it to be the most overlooked part of everyone's diet lol. It's well worth it though, so good job on noticing that as a change.

I too have been trying to get up earlier each day (I wanna be up by 6am everyday) and it's been a killer. I found that stepping my alarm back by 15 minutes every other day or so has been really helpful. As of now I wake up at 7 without an alarm so it must be working.

Keep up the good work

• Like 1

:D We made it! :D

*dancing goofingly around*

And even though life happens, making it harder to do all the supposedly good stuffs, at least we're trying and learning.

(Or, maybe that's just me...).

Congrats on your new mat, JackieTarr, still enjoying it?:)

• Like 1

From the North, I am. Grammar applys here not.

Forest Elven Lightstalker Lv. 3

“Little by little, one travels farâ€.― J.R.R. Tolkien.

42%
42%

% of Available Sparklepoints Collected, Current Challenge

<p>