• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mark D

Whey Without Sucralose?

Mark D   

I have some GN whey powder at home that has sucralose in it.  Two objections: I'd rather not have the sucralose on general principles, and sucralose gives me a crappy after-taste.  When I mixed the vanilla powder with vanilla unsweetened almond milk it tasted fine, it left an awful aftertaste behind.

So I see two options:

1) GN also makes a natural 100% whey powder, no artificial flavors or sweeteners (but it does have sugar).

2) Get unflavored 100% whey powder and flavor it myself.

Whichever I go with I'd mix it with almond milk.

Any recommendations either way?

I hate sucralose too. If you find one without, I'd like to know.

I stumbled on chocolate flavored whey powder at Trader Joe's. It is sweetened with fructose, but not very much. It tastes fine with water or rolled into peanut butter wads. Haven't tried it with almond milk.

Georges   

I splurged on trying the NOW whey isolate powder (I think it was about $60USD on Amazon for 80 servings) and I mix that with vanilla soymilk, but I've used almond milk before and it was fine.  If it's not sweet enough with the almond milk (if you like the almond milk without protein powder, it'll probably be fine with whey isolate), you could sweeten it with whatever fits your taste/ingredient preference.

Number one reason I'll stick with the whey isolate: 25g protein, 110 calories.  That means only 10 calories of "not protein," none of which comes from ingredients that bother me.

Check the numbers.

IMAG0327.jpg

Other than the filtered whey, they only add a small quantity of soy lecithin, probably for emulsification and mixability. I supplement with some lecithin anyway. According to an independent article I read a while back, this nutrition label is the most honest of the 30 whey isolate products tested.

Due to the purity, this whey is very difficult to mix. Machinery required. Unless you are mixing whey nut-butter balls like raincloak said.

Other than the filtered whey, they only add a small quantity of soy lecithin, probably for emulsification and mixability. I supplement with some lecithin anyway. According to an independent article I read a while back, this nutrition label is the most honest of the 30 whey isolate products tested.

Due to the purity, this whey is very difficult to mix. Machinery required. Unless you are mixing whey nut-butter balls like raincloak said.

Yep, that's the reason for it. Just read an article that stated if it's not on there, the whey is suspect, as they are hiding an emulsifier elsewhere and if they're hiding that, what else might they be hiding?

I don't like the taste of most artificially-sweetened things either.

I've been using vanilla Designer Whey because they had it at Trader Joe's and it's sweetened with stevia.  It contains both whey concentrate and isolate.  1 scoop is 100 calories and has 18 grams of protein.  It got a decent enough review at bodybuilding.com  (The same article gave top marks to the Now brand mentioned above)

I would describe the taste overall to be "mildly pleasant" with no artificial sweetener taste.  I usually mix it 1/2 to 3/4 strength because it tastes a little too good at full strength.

I buy TrueNutrition protein, 60% milk isolate/40% whey isolate. They sweeten their better flavors with stevia. I'm not sure about the cheaper ones.

My order from them has finally arrived as per the FedEx site, and I'm really looking forward to trying it out when I get home.  I liked how you could order it with half or double flavor and sweetener if you wanted.  I got the whey cold-filtered isolate with the half-strength stevia-sweetened vanilla "TrueFlavor."  I also ordered a pound of unflavored.

If it's good, I may try a custom mix next time.  I'm thinking of mixing in some slower-digesting protein.

Why did you choose milk isolate?

Milk protein is 80% casein/20% whey. It's a lot cheaper way to get a casein/whey blend than buying them both individually. My first batch from them was straight milk isolate and it was like snotty chalk. 60/40 whey/milk makes it so the milk isolate is barely noticeable but I still get the slower protein.

Their chocolate fudge brownie TrueFlavor is fucking delicious.

I got my order from True Nutrition.

Their chocolate fudge brownie TrueFlavor is fucking delicious.

I got the vanilla cake batter, and I would give it the same review.

I got the half-strength flavor, and I had to mix 1 scoop of that with THREE scoops of unflavored before I got it to be un-delicious enough so that I didn't want to drink it constantly.  It was still pretty damn good.   I might have to mix in more unflavored.  

Lest you think that this is a complaint, it's not.  It's just what I personally need to do.  I'm trying to reduce the flavor because a sugar addict and my cravings are triggered very easily, so I have to be careful not to have anything that tastes like "sweets."  Even if the whey doesn't trigger cravings for other things, I don't want to want to drink it just because I want something sweet.    

I'll have to use it for a few days before I can really assess the product, but so far so good.  

I forgot that I had also ordered some hemp protein, figuring I could use it in oatmeal and such.  It smells really great in a grassy sort of way (no pun intended).  I ate a pinch of it, and it tastes good, but it's gritty.  I can't imagine wanting to drink it, but it will be good to use in other things.  Lots of fiber too.

I have to give True Nutrition absolutely top marks for packaging, lack of bullshit, and a huge variety of options.  The powders come in plain mylar bags, but you can get a plastic jar and a scoop for 75 cents.  I got the jars so I had something to keep the stuff in, and it's nice to know I can just refill them instead of constantly throwing away jars.  They also have different size scoops available.  I got some smaller ones to make my mixing and matching easier.  

My only complaint is that it took 12 days to get my order.  Not their fault - they shipped it on the business day after I placed  my order, but I wanted to mention it in case anybody is expecting Amazon-type speed in delivery.  They do offer expedited delivery.  I'm too used to Amazon Prime.  "What? I have to pay for shipping?"  Well, even with free shipping, you're still paying for it in one way or another.  The product prices are very good, so it's more than fair.

Rooks   

I forgot that I had also ordered some hemp protein, figuring I could use it in oatmeal and such.  It smells really great in a grassy sort of way (no pun intended).  I ate a pinch of it, and it tastes good, but it's gritty.  I can't imagine wanting to drink it, but it will be good to use in other things.  Lots of fiber too.

I've tried Hemp Protein as well, specicifically the Manitoba Harvest Pro 50.  Drinking it was like drinking sandpaper.  That was NOT good.

Only way I could ever get it down was to mix 2 scoops into an entire tray of egg bake.  Needless to say it was not my favorite.  Think I ended up throwing out about half the 5lb tub.  

Oramac   

I'm coming in a bit late here, but Nutrilite's whey powder doesn't use sucralose, and so far everyone who's tried it has told me it tastes great.  I usually mix it with fruit and milk for a shake, but it works pretty well in all kinds of things.  

Sandpaper protein does not sound appetizing!  I've faceplanted playing beach volleyball before.  I don't really feel like repeating that feeling with protein.  

Mark D   

So I tried the ON Natural Whey, chocolate flavor, and it's not bad at all.  Not a REAL strong chocolate flavor when mixed with unsweetened Vanilla almond milk, but still quite good and no yucky aftertaste.   It mixes well using one of those small, cheap, single-serving blenders (the one where you mix right in the drink cup).  I haven't tried using a shaker cup yet.

My wife bought a small jug (2 lbs?) at GNC, largely because they'll take it back if we don't like it.  Maybe next time I'll try vanilla.  It doesn't really HAVE to taste real good, just not taste awful.  The other stuff sweetened with Sucralose made my mouth taste like the whole North Korean army walked thru my mouth barefoot for an hour afterward, so anything is an improvement.

I tried the hemp protein in oatmeal...yuck.  It was like getting a mouthful of grass clippings and sand.  I might try making some granola-ish bars or something with it.  There seem to be a variety of thoroughly unappetizing recipes out there.

If that doesn't work, I conveniently have a vegan friend who can't have gluten.  Maybe she'd be willing to eat it.