• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Roghish

What are the best workouts I can do in the gym for karate "kumite" (combat) competition?

Hi everyone!

My main goal this year (starting from August) was fitness and losing some weight, so now I've made a lot of progress I'd like to get back to karate.  I think I have a decent level, having practiced for 8 years and quit for a while, so I'd like to start doing serious competition.

What are the best physical workouts I can do for karate non-contact kumite competition?

At the moment my main weakness is flexibility, I'm working on it every day but I'm not noticing any serious progress, so help would be welcome in suggesting stretching programs for kicks, and generally working towards the splits!

Thanks in advance for the help,

Pierre

I assume you play by WKF (or similar) rules, where speed is much more important than strength. Of course a solid technique is always the base :)

If that is the case a couple of points on the general fitness approach

• since speed is important, works on sprinting and explosive techniques more than long steady workouts. HIIT like workouts reflects the idea
  • the matches are short: learn to give everything in those 3-5 minutes
  • stay light on your feet, jumping rope is your best friend. Work on moving in and out/around your opponent as quickly as possible

For your flexibility, you should improve your dynamic range more than your static one. That is, doing the split is useless if then you cannot kick someone your size in the face. So, always pair the usual stretches with some real kicking. I like to use a target, small and light: you want to touch it, but not crash through it. 

• Like 3

Another thing to be mindful of is your endurance. You don't want to be the kind of fighter who gases out after one minute of one round, or else you're going to find your kumite will go roughly for you.

Fortunately, you don't need to run for miles and miles or anything like that. Any kind of anaerobic work can help with that, though you need to be careful to scale it so that it doesn't push you too far beyond your ability to recover.

And above all, remember: the best way to get in shape for the thing you want to do is to do the thing you want to do. If you want to get in shape for kumite, the best way to go about it is to kumite.

• Like 3

Like this?

Before I "retired", I fought in 3 Kyokushin tournaments.  An all I can say to the OP, is if you haven't been training full time specifically for this type of tournament...STAY OUT of them.  Those are brutal to say the least.