• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Roghish

What are the pros and cons of the low guard Klitshko and other fighters use?

Hi!

I'm curious as to the pros and cons of the low guards ("forward" hand at waist level) that a lot of fighters use, what are the pros and cons of such a guard?

Is the guard still viable in martial arts other than boxing? That allow for kicks? Take-downs?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Pierre

From a straight boxing perspective low guard/crabbing is done most often by good counter punchers who have the speed and ability to slip/dodge/duck a lot of punches.  It provides some protection to the body that a peek-a-boo defense lacks, gives you a much wider field of view than high guard, and from a counter punchers perspective, it's harder for your opponent to see rising hooks off that front hand.

All that having been said, no matter how much I want to be a slick boxer/puncher, I've always been a pressure fighter so I just put up high guard and wade in.  

• Like 2

From a straight boxing perspective low guard/crabbing is done most often by good counter punchers who have the speed and ability to slip/dodge/duck a lot of punches.  It provides some protection to the body that a peek-a-boo defense lacks, gives you a much wider field of view than high guard, and from a counter punchers perspective, it's harder for your opponent to see rising hooks off that front hand.

All that having been said, no matter how much I want to be a slick boxer/puncher, I've always been a pressure fighter so I just put up high guard and wade in.  

I'm a low guard fighter myself.  An one of the biggest reasons I use it is simply because it's there for bait.  Especially at the amateur level.  Many, MANY fighters don't understand that I hold my hand in that position to lure them in...they take the bait more often than not.  Which allows you to counter punch them and punish them brutally any time they try and step in. Also gives it a super easy path to the liver once you slip a cross or lean behind a hook. 

• Like 1

I just learned a lot from this post. I have 6 hours of MMA kickboxing and I'm speaking from the point of a Nube, not an experienced fighter.

I didn't know what this concept was called. When I try to high guard for more than a second or two, my boxing game is completely unnatural.

High Guard just feels to me like a temporary position to get somewhere else (in or out) or very temporary defense during a ground and pound while legs are grappling or striking. My body just can't seem to understand why I would stay in mid range and high guard, my nature just wants to back out or move in.

Close range boxing just feels like standing on the X in an ambush.